URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Dr.Zer0

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby Dr.Zer0 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:03 pm

AAJD2B wrote:Has anyone else just received the email from SEO??

Was it in regards to a webinar? Are you considering attending?

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:09 pm

Dr.Zer0 wrote:

I'm going! Let's all go !

okaygo

Postby okaygo » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:12 pm

Predominately White Institution

Futuregohan14

Postby Futuregohan14 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:19 pm

Mojosodope wrote:
It has nothing to do with "going to go", it has to do with going and being happy with your decision, anyone can go. There also is a difference between second guessing and having doubts or being nervous.

And okaygo was mentioning undergrad finals compared to the stress of law school. If you think undergrad finals are stressful or unappealing, than your in for a unpleasant surprise a year from now.

I dunno, I found undergrad finals "unappealing" (I did well on them but didn't enjoy the process). I fully expected that law school finals would not be much fun either. I think that's normal, no?

Seriously though, bro, you gotta stop doing this condescending thing you do in trying to judge everyone else's academic readiness (or lack thereof) based on a disagreement they have with you about some part of the law school application process.

You did this to me early in this thread when I suggested I was ok with a 162 (that I worked hard for and that has gotten me a great cycle so far) and you started throwing shade immediately ("I'm over here stressing to get over a 170, and your comfortable with a 162") before claiming that I might lack the work ethic to survive in law school ("Hopefully you have the work ethic to perform well in law school, since you seem to lack the drive to push yourself beyond what is expected of you because of your race."). I got heated (and the thread, consequently, got active) because, frankly, I didn't know where you got the authority to take such an attitude. It didn't make sense.

Most of the other posters in here backed you up then. Now, however, you're doing the exact same thing to okaygo and mandyjay in this thread by claiming (with what authority I don't know) that they may be unready for law school simply because they're a little anxious about taking this next step and found undergrad finals "unappealing" (just like everyone else). You don't think we all know that the rigors of law school may be more taxing than what we dealt with as undergrads?

When applelover wrote this many pages ago, I immediately thought of you (even though she wasn't directing it at you):

applelover wrote:Just the responses in this thread http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=220672&start=25

and in other threads. SMH people on this site are so judgmental and desperate to feel important that they constantly belittle others and act like they actually possess some real authority. STFU this is the internet. You are a basic individual. Your ---- aint made of gold.

That is all to often how you engage with people in here, dude. Quit it. You're a relatively clueless 0L like the rest of us. Act like it.

NanaP

Postby NanaP » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:36 pm

Futuregohan14 wrote:
Mojosodope wrote:
It has nothing to do with "going to go", it has to do with going and being happy with your decision, anyone can go. There also is a difference between second guessing and having doubts or being nervous.

And okaygo was mentioning undergrad finals compared to the stress of law school. If you think undergrad finals are stressful or unappealing, than your in for a unpleasant surprise a year from now.

I dunno, I found undergrad finals "unappealing" (I did well on them but didn't enjoy the process). I fully expected that law school finals would not be much fun either. I think that's normal, no?

Seriously though, bro, you gotta stop doing this condescending thing you do in trying to judge everyone else's academic readiness (or lack thereof) based on a disagreement they have with you about some part of the law school application process.

You did this to me early in this thread when I suggested I was ok with a 162 (that I worked hard for and that has gotten me a great cycle so far) and you started throwing shade immediately ("I'm over here stressing to get over a 170, and your comfortable with a 162") before claiming that I might lack the work ethic to survive in law school ("Hopefully you have the work ethic to perform well in law school, since you seem to lack the drive to push yourself beyond what is expected of you because of your race."). I got heated (and the thread, consequently, got active) because, frankly, I didn't know where you got the authority to take such an attitude. It didn't make sense.

Most of the other posters in here backed you up then. Now, however, you're doing the exact same thing to okaygo and mandyjay in this thread by claiming (with what authority I don't know) that they may be unready for law school simply because they're a little anxious about taking this next step and found undergrad finals "unappealing" (just like everyone else). You don't think we all know that the rigors of law school may be more taxing than what we dealt with as undergrads?

When applelover wrote this many pages ago, I immediately thought of you (even though she wasn't directing it at you):

applelover wrote:Just the responses in this thread http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=220672&start=25

and in other threads. SMH people on this site are so judgmental and desperate to feel important that they constantly belittle others and act like they actually possess some real authority. STFU this is the internet. You are a basic individual. Your ---- aint made of gold.

That is all to often how you engage with people in here, dude. Quit it. You're a relatively clueless 0L like the rest of us. Act like it.

THIS! "clap clap clap clap"

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:38 pm

Futuregohan14 wrote:
Mojosodope wrote:

Welp, there you have it.

okaygo

Postby okaygo » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:46 pm

Future! Go AWFFF!

midnight_circus

Postby midnight_circus » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:51 pm

Whoa. Three pages ago, we were at "It's all love ITT." Then I come back from some quick Christmas shopping and wtf is all this? This is not love.

Is having doubts reasonable? Absolutely. I have them 2.7 times a week on average, aggravated by the fact that my prof finally got my LOR in and I submitted all my apps on Friday. :shock: This is three years and a ton of money and an unideal economy and I've never done this before, how can I be certain it's what I want for the rest of my life? So was Mojo's comment off? Yeah, for sure.
Do we all need to gang up on him now? Probably not. I think AAJD had a particularly succinct and effective rebuttal which avoided ad hominem attacks. Let's be inspired by her behavior.

Repeat after me:"It's all love ITT.". We're a community. We can all disagree all of the time if we are so inclined, but lets show some respect and avoid personal attacks, mmkay?

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:52 pm

midnight_circus wrote:Whoa. Three pages ago, we were at "It's all love ITT." Then I come back from some quick Christmas shopping and wtf is all this? This is not love.

Is having doubts reasonable? Absolutely. I have them 2.7 times a week on average, aggravated by the fact that my prof finally got my LOR in and I submitted all my apps on Friday. :shock: This is three years and a ton of money and an unideal economy and I've never done this before, how can I be certain it's what I want for the rest of my life? So was Mojo's comment off? Yeah, for sure.
Do we all need to gang up on him now? Probably not. I think AAJD had a particularly succinct and effective rebuttal which avoided ad hominem attacks. Let's be inspired by her behavior.

Repeat after me:"It's all love ITT.". We're a community. We can all disagree all of the time if we are so inclined, but lets show some respect and avoid personal attacks, mmkay?

This. Chill everyone.

midnight_circus

Postby midnight_circus » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:53 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:
Dr.Zer0 wrote:

I'm going! Let's all go !

Sorry for the double post, but I didn't get that. :( Was there any info in it that said what's going on with the general process?

ThePiedPiper

Postby ThePiedPiper » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:01 pm

midnight_circus wrote:Whoa. Three pages ago, we were at "It's all love ITT." Then I come back from some quick Christmas shopping and wtf is all this? This is not love.

+1 I agree with Midnight. We are all in this together fighting for our end goal of having a purposeful career in law. We can have healthy disagreements. That is all apart of our learning curve as adults. However, it should not come to the point where we are personal attacking each other. We already have to deal with stigmatization already as URMs. We do not need to add to it. We have to remember we are all here for each other.

twenty

Postby twenty » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:02 pm

midnight_circus wrote:Repeat after me:"It's all love ITT.". We're a community. We can all disagree all of the time if we are so inclined, but lets show some respect and avoid personal attacks, mmkay?

I tried this a few weeks ago, and no one listened. :(

For what it's worth, there've been personality clashes in the 2010-2011 and 2011-2012 threads, too. Not as obvious as this cycle, but they were still there.
Last edited by twenty on Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:04 pm

where is the healthy disagreement in being condescending to people on a regular basis? That's not healthy to me.

It's always been all love, and no one is saying love is lost, but what Gohan said was going unsaid for too long.

ThePiedPiper

Postby ThePiedPiper » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:07 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:
midnight_circus wrote:Repeat after me:"It's all love ITT.". We're a community. We can all disagree all of the time if we are so inclined, but lets show some respect and avoid personal attacks, mmkay?

I tried this a few weeks ago, and no one paid listened. :(

For what it's worth, there've been personality clashes in the 2010-2011 and 2011-2012 threads, too. Not as obvious as this cycle, but they were still there.

Its okay to have personality clashes. That comes with the territory when you are dealing with strong minded individuals. However, I think when it gets to the point of attacking or ganging up we need to take step back and analyze things and put them in their proper prospective. We don't need to forget why threads like these are made. To support and learn from one another. Not go against each other.
Last edited by ThePiedPiper on Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:08 pm

Was I saying she was academically unprepared? Not at all.

Was I inferring there is a probability she will second guess her self even more next year if she is already having doubts...especially if taking finals is one of them? Yes, deposits will be due in about 5/6 months. If you haven't already cleared up the doubts about possibly needing a break from school in the past couple years, what would make you think that this will magically become clear in the coming months?

Just saying, if studying for finals is annoying you now, it's probably going to hurt a little bit more in 12 months.

Really couldn't care less either way as its not my life, but I wish everyone the best.
Last edited by Mojosodope on Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

midnight_circus

Postby midnight_circus » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:14 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:where is the healthy disagreement in being condescending to people on a regular basis? That's not healthy to me.

It's always been all love, and no one is saying love is lost, but what Gohan said was going unsaid for too long.

Maybe it's because people in my family are extremely private, but I learned pretty early that if you have a problem with somebody the only correct response is to talk to them privately about it. They are way more likely to listen, not get defensive, and usually try to come around and fix the problem if they aren't being publicly called out/embarrassed. If you've been upset with the way people in this thread have been communicating with you, a PM is a great first step. We don't need to stage a public condescension intervention. I doubt Mojo knew how poorly his remark would be taken. I just don't need to see people getting into fights--not arguments, which are wonderful and encourage us to think more critically about issues and can result in all kinds of insights and happiness, but fights--over personality issues that could be more painlessly resolved privately. Not too long ago, we had Future and John_rizzy saying they hated each other in public. Where I'm from that shit would not fly. I couldn't even believe it.

I would never advocate just rolling over and letting someone treat you poorly. If you're upset, definitely say something. But that doesn't mean throw down in public. That means leaving a comment that says that you disagree with their interpretation of your problem and then throwing down in private, where no one else can hear you.
Last edited by midnight_circus on Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August Wilson

Postby August Wilson » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:16 pm

@thepiedpiper

nice new avy. :D he should be the next bond.

May I suggest that you use the pied piper of R&B sometime later, or have you already used him?

okaygo

Postby okaygo » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:19 pm

Lol, its not that Mojosodope didn't know, Mojo doesn't really care. I don't know Mojo IRL, but he's a pretty thick skinned fellow. He can dish it, and he can take it.

And I don't know man. I don't think anything said has been out of line (on either side). But that might just be how I'm used to interacting with people, put it all out there and you come right back with it

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:20 pm

Mojosodope wrote:Really couldn't care less either way as its not my life, but I wish everyone the best.

Ah, yes, you couldn't care less, but you're too busy showing your ass in this thread trying to defend your comments.

Boy, bye.

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:21 pm

August Wilson wrote:@thepiedpiper

May I suggest that you use the pied piper of R&B sometime later, or have you already used him?

Elba's startin to go bald, is he 50 yet?

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:21 pm

AAJD2B wrote:
Mojosodope wrote:Really couldn't care less either way as its not my life, but I wish everyone the best.

Ah, yes, you couldn't care less, but you're too busy showing your ass in this thread trying to defend your comments.

Boy, bye.

I'm going to go cry now.

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:22 pm

And I woulda responded earlier, but you know I had a few finals myself.

ThePiedPiper

Postby ThePiedPiper » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:22 pm

Thank you. Idris Elba is my favorite screen actor. And definitely should be the next Bond. I was actually thinking using R Kelly next since I haven't used him.

ThePiedPiper

Postby ThePiedPiper » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:24 pm

Mojosodope wrote:

Elba's startin to go bald, is he 50 yet?

He is 41. 9 more years.

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:28 pm

midnight_circus wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:where is the healthy disagreement in being condescending to people on a regular basis? That's not healthy to me.

Maybe it's because people in my family are extremely private, but I learned pretty early that if you have a problem with somebody the only correct response is to talk to them privately about it. They are way more likely to listen, not get defensive, and usually try to come around and fix the problem if they aren't being publicly called out/embarrassed. If you've been upset with the way people in this thread have been communicating with you, a PM is a great first step. We don't need to stage a public condescension intervention. I doubt Mojo knew how poorly his remark would be taken. I just don't need to see people getting into fights--not arguments, which are wonderful and encourage us to think more critically about issues and can result in all kinds of insights and happiness, but fights--over personality issues that could be more painlessly resolved privately. Not too long ago, we had Future and John_rizzy saying they hated each other in public. Where I'm from that shit would not fly. I couldn't even believe it.

I would never advocate just rolling over and letting someone treat you poorly. If you're upset, definitely say something. But that doesn't mean throw down in public. That means leaving a comment that says that you disagree with their interpretation of your problem and then throwing down in private, where no one else can hear you.

I was never really fighting, but I see what you are saying. Also, totally missed that john v. gohan situation, geesh

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”