URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
mandyjay11

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby mandyjay11 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:03 pm

okaygo wrote:Image

Honey, check my avatar change! Did you get the album???

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:03 pm

Mojosodope wrote:if your second guessing law school at this point, you probably shouldn't go.

I dont agree with this. I think it's normal to have some thoughts of second guessing the next big step of your life. Just because im worried doesnt mean I'm not going to go.

okaygo

Postby okaygo » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:11 pm

Kool-Aid wrote:
Mojosodope wrote:if your second guessing law school at this point, you probably shouldn't go.

I agree! A couple years of work experience will do nothing but improve your cycle, if you decide to revisit the law school idea.

I disagree as well. Maybe if I'd already submitted a seat deposit at school and I was still second guessing everything. But with me being about nine months away from actually attending law school, this is an optimal time to make sure that this is the right path for me.

okaygo

Postby okaygo » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:12 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:
okaygo wrote:Image

Honey, check my avatar change! Did you get the album???

Yes maaaaam! I am obsessed with Flawless! OBSESSED.

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:15 pm

okaygo wrote:

Can I just tell you I love love love "I look sooooo good tonighttttttttt got damn got damn"

I am learning choreography in order of the videos so I am currently on Haunted, I can't wait to get to partition!

When the CD was released I was on the phone with someone and they thought I was being murdered because of how I was screaming and crying... I'm ashamed

okaygo

Postby okaygo » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:18 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:
okaygo wrote:

Can I just tell you I love love love "I look sooooo good tonighttttttttt got damn got damn"

I am learning choreography in order of the videos so I am currently on Haunted, I can't wait to get to partition!

When the CD was released I was on the phone with someone and they thought I was being murdered because of how I was screaming and crying... I'm ashamed

I woke up like dissss, FLAWLESS
No me and my best friend were in IHOP and he's obsessed with Beyonce and he was in the bathroom when the album dropped and he came running out and crawling all over booths with his pants half down screaming BEYONCE HAS NEW MUSIC!

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:20 pm

okaygo wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:
okaygo wrote:

No me and my best friend were in IHOP and he's obsessed with Beyonce and he was in the bathroom when the album dropped and he came running out and crawling all over booths with his pants half down screaming BEYONCE HAS NEW MUSIC!

I love every second of that! The reactions to this album are just as valuable as the album itself. Please enjoy this video by Kid Fury http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn3eQqG6fok&feature=c4-overview&list=UUcbYWMlGF9Jj58Rp10X7Rag

sassybassy

Postby sassybassy » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:21 pm

Did anyone else who applied to the SEO program receive an email about applying to the SEO program?

Did I not do it right?

nabadgelyo

Postby nabadgelyo » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:27 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:
okaygo wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:
okaygo wrote:

I love every second of that! The reactions to this album are just as valuable as the album itself. Please enjoy this video by Kid Fury http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn3eQqG6fok&feature=c4-overview&list=UUcbYWMlGF9Jj58Rp10X7Rag

Thank you for this! I Love Kid Fury! I was so sad that the latest episode of The Read podcast came out right before the album. I would have enjoyed hearing them creatively freak out for an hour

okaygo

Postby okaygo » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:31 pm

sassybassy wrote:Did anyone else who applied to the SEO program receive an email about applying to the SEO program?

Did I not do it right?

I received a post card from them after I applied.

Kool-Aid

Postby Kool-Aid » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:32 pm

sassybassy wrote:Did anyone else who applied to the SEO program receive an email about applying to the SEO program?

Did I not do it right?

I applied, and I didn't receive an email.

alpwilliams

Postby alpwilliams » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:05 pm

To everyone who sat for the Dec LSAT, what do you think was the hardest section? lol besides the experimental.

alpwilliams

Postby alpwilliams » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:06 pm

Any of yall have IG's?

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:20 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:

I dont agree with this. I think it's normal to have some thoughts of second guessing the next big step of your life. Just because im worried doesnt mean I'm not going to go.

It has nothing to do with "going to go", it has to do with going and being happy with your decision, anyone can go. There also is a difference between second guessing and having doubts or being nervous.

And okaygo was mentioning undergrad finals compared to the stress of law school. If you think undergrad finals are stressful or unappealing, than your in for a unpleasant surprise a year from now.

toshiroh

Postby toshiroh » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:28 pm

alpwilliams wrote:To everyone who sat for the Dec LSAT, what do you think was the hardest section? lol besides the experimental.

LR2... I don't remember anything else to be honest. Barely remember that section

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:37 pm

Mojosodope wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:

It has nothing to do with "going to go", it has to do with going and being happy with your decision, anyone can go. There also is a difference between second guessing and having doubts or being nervous.

And okaygo was mentioning undergrad finals compared to the stress of law school. If you think undergrad finals are stressful or unappealing, than your in for a unpleasant surprise a year from now.

:|

Second guessing is the very definition of having doubts, besides which both Mandy and Okaygo have a right to view this next step, should it be taken, however they so desire. Neither you nor I are in a position to diagnose and prescribe their individual reasons for self-doubt.

In other words, they don't owe anyone an explanation, yourself included.

/end rant

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:40 pm

alpwilliams wrote:To everyone who sat for the Dec LSAT, what do you think was the hardest section? lol besides the experimental.

LR2 all the way.

When are you sending apps out??

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:43 pm

AAJD2B wrote:
Mojosodope wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:

:|

Second guessing is the very definition of having doubts, besides which both Mandy and Okaygo have a right to view this next step, should it be taken, however they so desire. Neither you nor I are in a position to diagnose and prescribe their individual reasons for self-doubt.

In other words, they don't owe anyone an explanation, yourself included.

/end rant

yup, exactly what she said.

alpwilliams

Postby alpwilliams » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:53 pm

AAJD2B wrote:

LR2 all the way.

When are you sending apps out??

Pending that LSAT score... Hopefully as soon as I receive the good news. *fingers crossed.

NanaP

Postby NanaP » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:08 pm

Other than the experimental which I blacked out and guessed on like 10 questions (Thank god it was exp.) Thought LG was tough, only because it was sort of a curveball and had to skip one of the games, and ran out of time when I came back to it....

toshiroh

Postby toshiroh » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:19 pm

I really think LSAC loses out on money with the time it takes to get scores back. Not many people are going to rush and sit for the Feb test if they don't get the score they want due to time constraints. You would think, since they seem to be all about money, they would push to get Dec scores back sooner.

okaygo

Postby okaygo » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:44 pm

Mojosodope wrote:

Please, fellow 0L, tell me more about the rigor of law school. I had absolutely no idea that law school will be more demanding than UG. Wow. I was actually under the impression it would be more like high school all over again.

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:03 pm

okaygo wrote:
Mojosodope wrote:

Please, fellow 0L, tell me more about the rigor of law school. I had absolutely no idea that law school will be more demanding than UG. Wow. I was actually under the impression it would be more like high school all over again.

Futuregohan14

Postby Futuregohan14 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:01 pm

okaygo wrote:http://www.mtv.com/news/photos/b/beyonce_gifs_12132013/bowdown.gif

wow
much bossy
such authoritative
many refuse
will not submit
wow

Futuregohan14

Postby Futuregohan14 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:03 pm

nick1 wrote:I think that for anybody that reads this thread and wonders, the true answer is that we have no idea. But what I will say is that it does not appear that attending an HBCU will help you outperform your GPA and LSAT, which is really what matters to us in the context of admissions. I think we have to view this in the context of a positive soft. The whole experience is different from what some of us experience at what has been referred to as a PWI. I don't think its a stretch to think that some adcomms could view that experience as something that adds more diversity to the class beyond just being a minority. So I think it probably viewed as a positive soft on par with someone who has a science background or something like that.

Also perception trumps reality in everything related to academia. I would say definitely places Morehouse, Spelman, Howard come with some lay prestige, especially among blacks. It can be helpful down the road if you decide to go the firm route when there are black, the partners would probably love to match you up with them. Just my .02¢

I co-sign this entire post

also, what is a "pwi"?

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”