URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
toshiroh

Bronze

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Post by toshiroh » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:18 pm

sassybassy wrote:
toshiroh wrote:Did anyone else go to a HBCU in here?

I ask because Columbia emailed me saying they were looking for HBCU graduates
That's weird, but I did.
did you get the email? I thought it was weird too? I was like huh? I wonder what prompted them to send that

Dr.Zer0

Silver

Post by Dr.Zer0 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:58 pm

ThePiedPiper wrote:
coolbean2013 wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:
ThePiedPiper wrote:
Thanks bro I appreciate it. Yup LSAC will be up and running after 4:30.

Happy BDAY!
HAPPY BDAYYYY!!
Thank you I appreciate it. And congrats to everyone who was recently accepted.
Happy Bday!

sassybassy

New

Post by sassybassy » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:59 pm

toshiroh wrote:
sassybassy wrote:

That's weird, but I did.
did you get the email? I thought it was weird too? I was like huh? I wonder what prompted them to send that
No, I didn't. Did you apply already? The last email I got was that rather rude newsletter from admissions. Def thought it was a decision email, but it was just a newsletter. Lol and sad face

wlee1220

Bronze

Post by wlee1220 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:01 pm

toshiroh wrote:
sassybassy wrote:

That's weird, but I did.
I did go to an HBCU and I got that email too. I'm not sure if I'm gonna apply though. With my numbers I need to be strategic about my apps. From what I'm hearing they have visited more HBCUs than usual

Futuregohan14

Bronze

Post by Futuregohan14 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:02 pm

toshiroh wrote:
sassybassy wrote:

That's weird, but I did.
I noted earlier in this thread that URMS who attend certain schools may get a slight "boost" from admins at decent law schools. I mentioned the Ivies along with a few elite non-Ivies (Williams, Stanford, Duke, etc):
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 0#p7263939

I didn't mention it in that post, but my understanding was that, for AAs, top HBCUs (particularly Morehouse, Spelman, Hampton and Howard, but a couple of others as well; some of these schools have been called "Black Ivies") also provide a slight boost.

Johh_Rizzy_Rawls thought that my post was pure BS ("prestige starved school bundling" bothers him greatly; I do hope this post does not upset him too much), but this e-mail you got might indicate that there is indeed some sort of UG preference for URMs out there acting as a positive soft factor.

Mojosodope

Silver

Post by Mojosodope » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:05 pm

Futuregohan14 wrote:
toshiroh wrote:
sassybassy wrote:

That's weird, but I did.
I noted earlier in this thread that URMS who attend certain schools may get a slight "boost" from admins at decent law schools. I mentioned the Ivies along with a few elite non-Ivies (Williams, Stanford, Duke, etc):

I didn't mention it in that post, but my understanding was that, for AAs, top HBCUs (particularly Morehouse, Spelman, Hampton and Howard, but a couple of others as well; some of these schools have been called "Black Ivies") also provide a slight boost.

Johh_Rizzy_Rawls thought that my post was pure BS ("prestige starved school bundling" bothers him greatly; I do hope this post does not upset him too much), but this e-mail you got might indicate that there is indeed some sort of UG preference for URMs out there acting as a positive soft factor.
Or that Columbia just wants more URM's to apply.

BobMoses

New

Post by BobMoses » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:06 pm

coolbean2013 wrote:
BobMoses wrote:In at GULC via snail mail yesterday. TFA alum as well. Congrats to all on their acceptances!

Nice, congrats!!

Thanks

sassybassy

New

Post by sassybassy » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:08 pm

Futuregohan14 wrote:
toshiroh wrote:
sassybassy wrote:

That's weird, but I did.

It goes Howard, Spelman, Morehouse, and maybe Hampton. Thanks

Dr.Zer0

Silver

Post by Dr.Zer0 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:08 pm

Futuregohan14 wrote:
toshiroh wrote:
sassybassy wrote:

That's weird, but I did.

I'm with gohan on this one, especially when it comes to schools like HYS, U of C, and Columbia.

ThePiedPiper

Bronze

Post by ThePiedPiper » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:23 pm

Thank you Dr. Zero I appreciate it.

KingJamesLBJ

Bronze

Post by KingJamesLBJ » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:23 pm

EstebanMFernandez wrote:
KingJamesLBJ wrote:Alright guys I need some help. I finally got a professor agree to write a lor. They just want me to gice them something to sign. So withe that said does anyone have any recommendation as to what I could draft up for him or where I could find a good template to gI've to him to sign?

Sorry for typos I'm on hmy phone
From what I've heard... it's really easy for adcomms to see that you're the one writing it. The advice I have seen is to make it comparative, and describe the class/ academic setting -was it hard, was there research etc. Talk about a flaw is also a good way to make sure that they don't think you wrote it.

Lebron was easily in the top 1% of students i have ever taught, he routinely set curves, and was at the top of my class. I know he left cleveland and that he will always be tainted by the fact that he joined another HOF'ers team, never won a ring on his own, and has a terrible receding hairline, but I feel that his ability to succeed in LS is pretty good.

Shiz like that
Alright thanks, mojo also. Im going to try and draft something up and have him add to it. Hes old and busy so im trying to help as much as i can lol. So he has to go make the account on lsac then print out something then send it by mail to lsac with the lor? is that right? like transcripts

Dr.Zer0

Silver

Post by Dr.Zer0 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:28 pm

KingJamesLBJ wrote:
EstebanMFernandez wrote:
KingJamesLBJ wrote:Alright guys I need some help. I finally got a professor agree to write a lor. They just want me to gice them something to sign. So withe that said does anyone have any recommendation as to what I could draft up for him or where I could find a good template to gI've to him to sign?

From what I've heard... it's really easy for adcomms to see that you're the one writing it. The advice I have seen is to make it comparative, and describe the class/ academic setting -was it hard, was there research etc. Talk about a flaw is also a good way to make sure that they don't think you wrote it.

Lebron was easily in the top 1% of students i have ever taught, he routinely set curves, and was at the top of my class. I know he left cleveland and that he will always be tainted by the fact that he joined another HOF'ers team, never won a ring on his own, and has a terrible receding hairline, but I feel that his ability to succeed in LS is pretty good.

Shiz like that
Alright thanks, mojo also. Im going to try and draft something up and have him add to it. Hes old and busy so im trying to help as much as i can lol. So he has to go make the account on lsac then print out something then send it by mail to lsac with the lor? is that right? like transcripts
You can actually upload the LOR and it will appear under your account almost instantly.

Mojosodope

Silver

Post by Mojosodope » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:31 pm

KingJamesLBJ wrote:
EstebanMFernandez wrote:

Shiz like that
Nah, you just need to print out a sheet from your account, have him sign the letter, and send both sheets in.

KingJamesLBJ

Bronze

Post by KingJamesLBJ » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:44 pm

got it

Kool-Aid

Bronze

Post by Kool-Aid » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:58 pm

SEO Law...has anyone applied yet? If so, when do you think we may start hearing something?

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:24 pm

Futuregohan14 wrote:
toshiroh wrote:
sassybassy wrote:

That's weird, but I did.

Honestly, it seems pretty implausible that HBCUs would get a boost. None of these schools are hard to get into or known for being particularly rigorous. It seems more likely that they're trying to recruit URMs in large numbers; it makes sense to market at a HBCU where there are large numbers of URMs.

Can you post the email?

Quan292

Bronze

Post by Quan292 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:32 pm

nabadgelyo wrote:
ktatl14 wrote:
DPhoenix wrote:In at Georgetown via snail mail. Feeling good.
Congrats! And shoutout to TFA, what region are you in?

How many of us are TFA? I'm a NOLA alum!
Another tfa-er here. I'm actually really interested in seeing how our cycles differ from others with similar numbers. I have a feeling for URM's we'll won't differ much.

Also congrats!

midnight_circus

Bronze

Post by midnight_circus » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:05 am

Kool-Aid wrote:SEO Law...has anyone applied yet? If so, when do you think we may start hearing something?
Yes and I have no idea. I applied for the round 2 deadline, but I haven't heard anything yet. Anyone else?

sassybassy

New

Post by sassybassy » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:08 am

The top HBCUs are selective and admissions remain competitive. If you look at the list of alumni, it's obvious that people do not choose these institutions because they cannot get into top or other elite universities. We choose HBCUs because of the community, network, and the undergraduate experience that can only be had at a Spelhouse, at a Howard or a FAMU. So it would make sense that if you're looking for top Black applicants, you would give priority to students from these institutions because of their history of producing some of the best minds and leaders in history.

Mojosodope

Silver

Post by Mojosodope » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:28 am

sassybassy wrote:The top HBCUs are selective and admissions remain competitive. If you look at the list of alumni, it's obvious that people do not choose these institutions because they cannot get into top or other elite universities. We choose HBCUs because of the community, network, and the undergraduate experience that can only be had at a Spelhouse, at a Howard or a FAMU. So it would make sense that if you're looking for top Black applicants, you would give priority to students from these institutions because of their history of producing some of the best minds and leaders in history.
You don't have to defend HBCU. But to compare admissions of a place like Stanford to Morehouse or Howard is crazy. But this discussion doesn't even need to happen.

If you think that it gives you a boost, more power to you. Hopefully it helps some get over the hump.

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:28 am

sassybassy wrote:The top HBCUs are selective and admissions remain competitive. If you look at the list of alumni, it's obvious that people do not choose these institutions because they cannot get into top or other elite universities. We choose HBCUs because of the community, network, and the undergraduate experience that can only be had at a Spelhouse, at a Howard or a FAMU. So it would make sense that if you're looking for top Black applicants, you would give priority to students from these institutions because of their history of producing some of the best minds and leaders in history.
By what metric? The median SAT scores are around 550 per section, which isn't anything special. It seems ridiculous that these schools would get a boost compared to flagship state schools or even smaller privates, which I would argue engender more adverse environments for URM students.

FAMU's 75th%ile for each section is right around 520, what reason would Columbia have to give a student a boost from this school over, let's say the University of Florida?

I'm not arguing that HBCUs aren't excellent schools that produce excellent leaders, I just don't see where this idea that students would get a boost from these schools come from.

Mojosodope

Silver

Post by Mojosodope » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:30 am

californiauser wrote:
By what metric? The median SAT scores are around 550 per section, which isn't anything special. It seems ridiculous that these schools would get a boost compared to flagship state school or even smaller privates, which I would argue engender more adverse environments for URM students.

FAMU's 75th%ile for each section is right around 520, what reason would Columbia have to give a student a boost from this school over, let's say the University of Florida?

I'm not arguing that HBCUs aren't excellent schools that produce excellent leaders, I just don't see where this idea that students would get a boost from these schools come from.
Exactly what I was going to say, but I decided to avoid the discussion

sassybassy

New

Post by sassybassy » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:37 am

californiauser wrote:
By what metric? The median SAT scores are around 550 per section, which isn't anything special. It seems ridiculous that these schools would get a boost compared to flagship state schools or even smaller privates, which I would argue engender more adverse environments for URM students.

The top three HBCUs are Spelman, Morehouse, and Howard. It's about the type of student that goes to these institutions and the type of education they receive. I'm not saying we get a boost 100%, but I do know that having gone to an HBCU has been extremely helpful to me in my career. The names mean a lot because the alumni lists are incredible from MLK to Marshall.

toshiroh

Bronze

Post by toshiroh » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:40 am

I'm just going to avoid this discussion because I've had enough these discussions in undergrad with FSU students about why I chose Famu over FSU and the other PWI undergrads I was accepted into. They usually don't end well.

mandyjay11

Silver

Post by mandyjay11 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:42 am

Sassy, how is the type of student that goes there different from the type that doesn't? I got full rides plus stipends to Howard and Spellman as an undergrad and decided to go Ivy, does that make me a different type of students by simply choosing a different path?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”