URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Black_Swan

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby Black_Swan » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:59 pm

staples88 wrote:I was looking through the 12-13 urm results thread and it looks like most people with 3.6+, ~164+ got on H's WL at least.

it'll take another go around to look at the date when these posters shared their results, but any idea of how well an applicant with #s in that range eventually gets off the WL?

there were a few people who got stanford but never got off H's WL despite having ~3.6, mid-to-high 160s.

also, any idea why twentypercentmore's unique situation (pretty sure it's common knowledge now but I won't say anything so as to not out him) hurts him so much? The 3.6 164 applicant I refer to above isn't helping most T14s on either number but still get in without a problem, so why s/he different from another applicant who doesn't help either stat?

Have been wondering this as well. I also remember he was still finishing a graduate program or something. The good news is there are more applicants with similar circumstances this cycle. But personal background details still matter a lot. We will see how things play out!

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:01 pm

okaygo wrote:
EstebanMFernandez wrote:Better get some cute pea coats and scarves :3 ! all the schools I want seem to be located in frozen tundras and I've never seen snow lol @.@

Mittens vs. Gloves??

BTW anyone know where I can get some insider info on UC Irvine? I've been hearing that it's either A) Gonna be a new top school or B) TTT

Gloves. Preferably the ones where you can still use your touchscreen device with them on.
And yes unlimited scarves and peacoats are a must!

Am I the only one who thinks that peacoats do not keep me warm? I need 3/4 length bubble coats, like this one Image

ThePiedPiper

Postby ThePiedPiper » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:03 pm

All I have is peacoats and I stay in New York

EstebanMFernandez

Postby EstebanMFernandez » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:04 pm

ThePiedPiper wrote:
EstebanMFernandez wrote:Better get some cute pea coats and scarves :3 ! all the schools I want seem to be located in frozen tundras and I've never seen snow lol @.@

Mittens vs. Gloves??

BTW anyone know where I can get some insider info on UC Irvine? I've been hearing that it's either A) Gonna be a new top school or B) TTT

How is UC Irvine? I thought about it because I wouldn't mind California. Because LA was always my target market post graduation.

There's a lot of stuff going on there. That South County - OC area is picking up steam economically, and it's an excellent place to live. The school districts are amazing, and there's tons of shiz to do...

I think their medians are around 165 and 3.60. It's on par with UCLA/ USC? So not T-14, but there's a lot of buzz that it might get that high eventually and getting in now would be a good idea

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:05 pm

EstebanMFernandez wrote:
ThePiedPiper wrote:

Mittens vs. Gloves??

How is UC Irvine? I thought about it because I wouldn't mind California. Because LA was always my target market post graduation.

There's a lot of stuff going on there. That South County - OC area is picking up steam economically, and it's an excellent place to live. The school districts are amazing, and there's tons of shiz to do...

I think their medians are around 165 and 3.60. It's on par with UCLA/ USC? So not T-14, but there's a lot of buzz that it might get that high eventually and getting in now would be a good idea

I also was wondering if I should apply to this school. I had never heard of it but their numbers are high for a school that I wasnt familiar with. I might thrown them an application.

Black_Swan

Postby Black_Swan » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:07 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:
okaygo wrote:

Mittens vs. Gloves??

Gloves. Preferably the ones where you can still use your touchscreen device with them on.

Am I the only one who thinks that peacoats do not keep me warm? I need 3/4 length bubble coats, like this one

I always thought they were better for windy weather.

EstebanMFernandez

Postby EstebanMFernandez » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:09 pm

if you want to do PI law I think they still have 20+ universal scholarships a year for folks interested in PI?

The UC system is pretty well regarded.

They got those high numbers by offering the inaugural class FULL schollys ... all of them haha and slowly cut back the scholarships over time

nabadgelyo

Postby nabadgelyo » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:10 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:
okaygo wrote:

Mittens vs. Gloves??

Am I the only one who thinks that peacoats do not keep me warm? I need 3/4 length bubble coats, like this one

I agree. If I end up in Ann Arbor, Chicago, or Boston, this is investment #1. I am living in Cambridge now and it is pierce-your-soul cold/windy.

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:13 pm

nabadgelyo wrote:I agree. If I end up in Ann Arbor, Chicago, or Boston, this is investment #1. I am living in Cambridge now and it is pierce-your-soul cold/windy.

It should honestly be illegal to live in chicago during the winter. I was there and had to stop in every store on Michigan ave to reheat myself because walking 10 steps to the next store to reheat. It's crazy!

nabadgelyo

Postby nabadgelyo » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:15 pm

EstebanMFernandez wrote:if you want to do PI law I think they still have 20+ universal scholarships a year for folks interested in PI?

They got those high numbers by offering the inaugural class FULL schollys ... all of them haha and slowly cut back the scholarships over time

I would be nervous about attending a school that has yet to receive full accreditation--but these details sound decent, and I'm pretty risk-averse.

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:19 pm

nabadgelyo wrote:
EstebanMFernandez wrote:if you want to do PI law I think they still have 20+ universal scholarships a year for folks interested in PI?

I would be nervous about attending a school that has yet to receive full accreditation--but these details sound decent, and I'm pretty risk-averse.

So, I just read this "Full accreditation requires full compliance with all ABA standards after having been provisionally approved for at least two years. " AND "Law schools are eligible for provisional accreditation after two years, and full accreditation after five. Provisional accreditation means that graduating students can take the bar exam in California without taking a qualifying "baby bar" exam"

It looks like they were given provisional accredidation in April 2011 so it seems to me that they should be fully accreddited by April 2014. If I understand correctly

kenwash

Postby kenwash » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:41 pm

okaygo wrote:So everyone here knows I'm gunning for GULC/GW.
(And by extension Cornell/UVA for scholly negotiations if I can swing GULC)

But where do you people WANT to go? Just the highest T14 you can get?

It depends on where my SO ends up when he finds a new job. I'm all about location so that's Chicago NY DC and neighboring cities. I guess I'll just choose the best school + most money + best IP law program in whichever city I decide

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:06 pm

EstebanMFernandez wrote:
ThePiedPiper wrote:

Mittens vs. Gloves??

Their median LSAT now is around 163 IIRC.

It's a decent school if you want to be in Cali and prefer small class sizes. The Dean has a significant amount of pull and influence in the legal community, which has helped job placement so far.

ThePiedPiper

Postby ThePiedPiper » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:31 pm

Mojosodope wrote:
EstebanMFernandez wrote:
ThePiedPiper wrote:

Mittens vs. Gloves??

Their median LSAT now is around 163 IIRC.

It's a decent school if you want to be in Cali and prefer small class sizes. The Dean has a significant amount of pull and influence in the legal community, which has helped job placement so far.

Did you apply bro? I am dreading writing those two short essays. When I write I like to have no restrictions.

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:04 pm

ThePiedPiper wrote:Did you apply bro? I am dreading writing those two short essays. When I write I like to have no restrictions.

What's it like 500 words?

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:05 pm

Anyone here who likes to write want to proofread my final draft of a short paper I wrote about the Marshall Plan? I feel like I wrote it like a little kid

ThePiedPiper

Postby ThePiedPiper » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:15 pm

Mojosodope wrote:Anyone here who likes to write want to proofread my final draft of a short paper I wrote about the Marshall Plan? I feel like I wrote it like a little kid

Yeah its about 500 words I believe for both. I'll read it for you.

Dr.Zer0

Postby Dr.Zer0 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:21 pm

EstebanMFernandez wrote:
ThePiedPiper wrote:

Mittens vs. Gloves??

TLS has like two threads dedicated to answering your question: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=118066 ; viewtopic.php?f=1&t=208083

ETA: This discussion reminds me of Dr. Dre, wonder whatever happened to that guy.

sassybassy

Postby sassybassy » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:21 pm

Hey guys! I just got into Duke! My mind is so blown.

Dr.Zer0

Postby Dr.Zer0 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:22 pm

[Redacted]
Last edited by Dr.Zer0 on Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kenwash

Postby kenwash » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:25 pm

sassybassy wrote:Hey guys! I just got into Duke! My mind is so blown.

CONGRATS!

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:26 pm

your gonna run the table

ThePiedPiper

Postby ThePiedPiper » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:29 pm

Congrats on Duke!!! You're killing it!!!

Black_Swan

Postby Black_Swan » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:11 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:
nabadgelyo wrote:I agree. If I end up in Ann Arbor, Chicago, or Boston, this is investment #1. I am living in Cambridge now and it is pierce-your-soul cold/windy.

It should honestly be illegal to live in chicago during the winter. I was there and had to stop in every store on Michigan ave to reheat myself because walking 10 steps to the next store to reheat. It's crazy!

Omg... Just took Uchi off my list :mrgreen:

Quan292

Postby Quan292 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:18 pm

okaygo wrote:So everyone here knows I'm gunning for GULC/GW.
(And by extension Cornell/UVA for scholly negotiations if I can swing GULC)

But where do you people WANT to go? Just the highest T14 you can get?

For me it is NYU>>>>>Georgetown>Penn

I reallly want to live in a major city/ PI work

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”