URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
AAJD2B

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby AAJD2B » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:47 pm

So roughly 100 less AA students enrolled in the T14 last year compared to a few years back? Interesting.

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:49 pm

sassybassy wrote:I am glad that there is this forum so we can have these types of conversation. My dream schools are NYU and Columbia. I figure being in a city offsets the low number of minorities attending the actual school.

I cannot wait to get my LSAT score back so that I know how realistic my goals are. I'm going to go ahead and speak a 170 into existence. Lol

Law of attraction :)

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:49 pm

AAJD2B wrote:So roughly 100 less AA students enrolled in the T14 last year compared to a few years back? Interesting.

The pool of qualified candidates is getting smaller and smaller.

MoMettaMonk

Postby MoMettaMonk » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:51 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:
twentypercentmore wrote:Stanford's decline is hurtful. They've maintained their class size and they're about the same in terms of yields as they were a year or two ago, their GPA and LSAT medians look like they're actually moving up, and right now is a good time to stick it to the incoming URMs?

The nice news, though, is that we know this is because these schools can't find enough non-URMs to offset the low numbers, a URM above at least one median is going to have a field day.

If I could go back in time and been a part of this type of forum during or before undergrad, I would have spent day and night trying to graduate with a 4.0. I never knew about this median bullshit until it was too late. I graduated with a high GPA, but it isn't a 4.0. A 4.0 is much, much easier to obtain than scoring in the 170's on the LSAT.

So much this. I dropped below a 3.9 my last quarter at school because of stupid reasons totally within my control. Time travel why don't you exist yet?

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:52 pm

Is anyone else fairly nervous about being a minority in a top school? Like not fitting in, not being wealthy etc.?

MoMettaMonk

Postby MoMettaMonk » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:56 pm

Mojosodope wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:So roughly 100 less AA students enrolled in the T14 last year compared to a few years back? Interesting.

The pool of qualified candidates is getting smaller and smaller.

Exactly. Applicants (especially at the high end) have dropped about 30% over the last few years, so this is just more evidence that AA (and URM more generally) fit into the trends of the larger applicant pool in general.

sassybassy

Postby sassybassy » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:27 pm

Mojosodope wrote:Is anyone else fairly nervous about being a minority in a top school? Like not fitting in, not being wealthy etc.?

That is something I've considered. I went to an HBCU so I'm not used to being the one black kid. But I'm not worried to a nauseating degree because the rest of our lives is likely to be spent being the one Black kid. "Domino, domino. Only spot a few Blacks the higher I go."

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:39 pm

Mojosodope wrote:Is anyone else fairly nervous about being a minority in a top school? Like not fitting in, not being wealthy etc.?

Not at all. I am there for these purposes only: to obtain a professional degree with good grades, network my butt off to those who matter, and secure a lucrative position in my 3L year. My sole nerves are in regards to bar passage from both CA and NY. Everything else can go kick rocks.

MoMettaMonk

Postby MoMettaMonk » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:45 pm

Having been amongst relatively rich, smart white people for most of my life in [insert honors/AP program here] I just look at it as another day to prove myself to myself. If someone not in a position to mess with my grades or on a hiring committee has problems with my skin color or culture, I just throw up the deuces and keep it moving.

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:54 pm

AAJD2B wrote:

Not at all. I am there for these purposes only: to obtain a professional degree with good grades, network my butt off to those who matter, and secure a lucrative position in my 3L year. My sole nerves are in regards to bar passage from both CA and NY. Everything else can go kick rocks.

Networking can involve expensive activities. I wouldn't say I'm nervous per se, but it will different living on a super strict budget for the first time in my life. Probably won't be playing too much golf...at least not until 3L :lol:

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:02 pm

californiauser wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:

Networking can involve expensive activities. I wouldn't say I'm nervous per se, but it will different living on a super strict budget for the first time in my life. Probably won't be playing too much golf...at least not until 3L :lol:

Californiauser I am totally nervous about being 1 of 20 URMs at a school. I went to an ivy ugrad and I was not nervous about it, but then I was met with a rude awakening. When I did finally find a core group of 3 friends (junior year) that were on the same page as me, I thought I literally met Jesus himself. haha

It was also really hard to be on a budget around people at top schools. Even amongst the URMs with money, I felt like I was so out of place talking to them. Also, AAJD2B , I think you mentioned that you had a signifigant other somewhere. Do you think that factors into you not feeling like you would be nervous being one of the few URMs/ fitting in ?

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:20 pm

MoMettaMonk wrote:

Having been amongst relatively rich, smart white people for most of my life in [insert honors/AP program here] I just look at it as another day to prove myself to myself. If someone not in a position to mess with my grades or on a hiring committee has problems with my skin color or culture, I just throw up the deuces and keep it moving.

I also have been around relatively rich, "smart" white people for most of my life, and most of my friends from home seem to be from that background. However, I just have a feeling this will take it to a whole other level.

At least in undergrad I could easily find some friends that had similar interests (music, sports, partying, whatever), but with the smaller class sizes it will just be harder to find that niche for a AA male.

I'm probably just over thinking it, and in all honesty I really don't care that much. I've always ended up being known as that smart, black kid every school I have gone to; I guess this won't be any different.

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:21 pm

californiauser wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:

I'm golfing and playing basketball as much as I can. Can't get enough of it

MoMettaMonk

Postby MoMettaMonk » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:25 pm

Mojosodope wrote:
californiauser wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:

Am I the only one that feels like Barack Obama might've caused a noticeable uptick in the amount of basketball being played on Ivy League/T14 campuses?

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:27 pm

MoMettaMonk wrote:
Mojosodope wrote:
californiauser wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:Not at all. I am there for these purposes only: to obtain a professional degree with good grades, network my butt off to those who matter, and secure a lucrative position in my 3L year. My sole nerves are in regards to bar passage from both CA and NY. Everything else can go kick rocks.

Am I the only one that feels like Barack Obama might've caused a noticeable uptick in the amount of basketball being played on Ivy League/T14 campuses?

Minus schools like Michigan or Cal, most likely.

I sure hope there is some decent competition, I need to get my game back on point

Dr.Zer0

Postby Dr.Zer0 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:44 pm

[redacted]
Last edited by Dr.Zer0 on Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:51 pm

Dr.Zer0 wrote:

My first two years of UG I did hang out with the Latino orgs, but then I gravitated toward other social groups my last two years. Now some of my best friends are of Chinese, Hispanic, and Indian descent. I only have like one token white friend tho, so that's worrisome. I did have some friends that were wealthy, but they didn't really flaunt it. Of course there were some activities I couldn't partake in with them cuz my budget didn't allow for it. Hopefully I have similar if not better experience in LS as I did in UG.

Not really looking forward to having to play golf tho, I sure hope thats not a "thing" among t-14 LS students or in big law.

Golf is awesome bruh. 2 hours to just relax and let your mind go. Take some beer out on the course and have fun.

Once you start getting decent is when you start getting competitive, then it just makes it even better. Drunken friends betting on every hole.

toshiroh

Postby toshiroh » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:42 pm

I used to be, but lately, I can't say that I am. I attended an HBCU, but also attended a PWI for my second degree. It was definitely different, but my goals are what pushed me more than anything.

sassybassy

Postby sassybassy » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:57 pm

toshiroh wrote:

I used to be, but lately, I can't say that I am. I attended an HBCU, but also attended a PWI for my second degree. It was definitely different, but my goals are what pushed me more than anything.

HBCU love!!

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:09 am

mandyjay11 wrote:Also, AAJD2B , I think you mentioned that you had a signifigant other somewhere. Do you think that factors into you not feeling like you would be nervous being one of the few URMs/ fitting in ?

Come to think of it, yes. We are a strong unit and I know he'd make sure to keep me focused should anything arise in my new law school community that would make me nervous or uncomfortable on the basis of being one of a few URMs. I think having a support unit outside the law school is so important.

BentleyLittle

Postby BentleyLittle » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:39 am

I've been thinking about this lately a lot as well. My high school was inner-city and the AAs hung out with the AAs, the Latinos with the Latinos. My undergrad was regional and very segregated as well.I hung out mainly with my fraternity.

In a sense, I'm not sure how much in common I will have with the white or rich folks. I've never had an opportunity to befriend many.

What about on a cultural level? I feel like my education has been deficient thus far in certain respects. For example, I was a terrible HS student and haven't read many of the classics, I'm from an economically modest household so I haven't travelled through Europe, etc.

-dasein-

Postby -dasein- » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:51 am

Regarding the other topic about diversity, for those who are worried, I wouldn't stress it too much. Not everyone in these places is yacht owning etc. There is a decent amount of diversity even though it may not be the visible kind. Another way to look at it is as an opportunity for growth. I'm sure some of you will be leaders one day and its a good skill to be able to operate in what is an alien environment for you.
Last edited by -dasein- on Fri May 02, 2014 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:07 am

To all those visiting Penn tomorrow: ENJOY and please let us know how your visit went! :)

Dr.Zer0

Postby Dr.Zer0 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:31 pm

AAJD2B wrote:To all those visiting Penn tomorrow: ENJOY and please let us know how your visit went! :)

+1 and whoever posted about their Columbia visit, thanks, it was very informative!

Quan292

Postby Quan292 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:20 pm

I'm pretty nervous about. Grew up in a black neighborhood and I had problems not being comfortable in undergrad/where I live now and not really fitting in with the people. As much as you tell yourself school is just a means to a much bigger goal it sucks to spend so much of your time with people you dont mesh well with. Also happiness directly effects my work output.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”