URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
californiauser

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby californiauser » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:45 pm

toshiroh wrote:Orange is the New Black is a good netflix series. I enjoyed it for the most part, though some of the racial stereotypes irked me. However, for my current job I go into the local prison almost every other day so I know it's not exactly false.

Also, if you're offended by lesbian activity, it might not be the best series for you.

Why would this offend anybody?

toshiroh

Postby toshiroh » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:47 pm

californiauser wrote:
toshiroh wrote:Orange is the New Black is a good netflix series. I enjoyed it for the most part, though some of the racial stereotypes irked me. However, for my current job I go into the local prison almost every other day so I know it's not exactly false.

Also, if you're offended by lesbian activity, it might not be the best series for you.

:lol: :lol: Everyone's different, so I just threw it out there.

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:22 pm

took a 3 hour nap today, looks like I'll be netflixin all night

wlee1220

Postby wlee1220 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:53 pm

californiauser wrote:

LMAO so much this.

DPhoenix

Postby DPhoenix » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:40 pm

In at NYU Law!!! Just logged in. First decision and first T6 acceptance.

ThePiedPiper

Postby ThePiedPiper » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:46 pm

DPhoenix wrote:In at NYU Law!!! Just logged in. First decision and first T6 acceptance.

That's a big deal. Time to celebrate.

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:57 pm

i wish I could get multiple decisions every week...this week sucks

DPhoenix

Postby DPhoenix » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:27 pm

ThePiedPiper wrote:
DPhoenix wrote:In at NYU Law!!! Just logged in. First decision and first T6 acceptance.

That's a big deal. Time to celebrate.

Thank you. It's too bad I have to teach tomorrow. I'll be celebrating later.

kenwash

Postby kenwash » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:29 pm

Nice!! Off to a great start!

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:30 pm

kenwash wrote:

Nice!! Off to a great start!

Congrats !!

BobMoses

Postby BobMoses » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:46 pm

In at NYU! First T14 acceptance. I'm a frequent lurker who has benefited from reading the comments made by lots of you guys on this site. To all of you, I say thank you! I wish you all good luck this cycle.

Nova

Postby Nova » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:47 pm

congrats bro

amc987

Postby amc987 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:28 am

FYI: I posted a thread on this in the LSAT prep and discussion forum, but, in my experience, a different clientele tends to browse here. I didn't think it was kosher to make another thread, so I'm posting it in this thread. My SO is MA if that info is useful.

Hey y'all,

I am posting this on behalf of my SO who is applying to law school and anxious about posting on TLS while she's mid-cycle.

My SO took the LSAT twice two years ago and got 162 and 169. She took the test again in June and got a 172. Because she was doing better on her practices and she's interested in HYS, she decided to take the December LSAT. She didn't finish a section on Saturday and had to guess on 4-5 questions, but she thinks the other sections went well. She was PTing in the high 170s.

She's thinking of canceling. She's worried she could've done worse in December and wanted to know what impact canceling might have on her applications vs. having a lower retake score on her record. She doesn't know whether the risk of having to explain a lower score to schools is worth the potential reward of getting a higher score in December. Lately she's been thinking more about keeping the score, but is still unsure.

Any constructive advice would be helpful! Thanks!

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:34 am

What's the deal with UChi?

How is it for minorities?

Anyone here have it as their number one?

I have a fee waiver sitting in my inbox, the idea of spending 3 years in the southside of Chicago isn't too appealing, but the OCI numbers are impressive.

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:42 am

BobMoses wrote:In at NYU! First T14 acceptance. I'm a frequent lurker who has benefited from reading the comments made by lots of you guys on this site. To all of you, I say thank you! I wish you all good luck this cycle.

Congrats n welcome!!

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:48 am

amc987 wrote:FYI: I posted a thread on this in the LSAT prep and discussion forum, but, in my experience, a different clientele tends to browse here. I didn't think it was kosher to make another thread, so I'm posting it in this thread. My SO is MA if that info is useful.

Hey y'all,

I am posting this on behalf of my SO who is applying to law school and anxious about posting on TLS while she's mid-cycle.

My SO took the LSAT twice two years ago and got 162 and 169. She took the test again in June and got a 172. Because she was doing better on her practices and she's interested in HYS, she decided to take the December LSAT. She didn't finish a section on Saturday and had to guess on 4-5 questions, but she thinks the other sections went well. She was PTing in the high 170s.

She's thinking of canceling. She's worried she could've done worse in December and wanted to know what impact canceling might have on her applications vs. having a lower retake score on her record. She doesn't know whether the risk of having to explain a lower score to schools is worth the potential reward of getting a higher score in December. Lately she's been thinking more about keeping the score, but is still unsure.

Hi,

I don't think that she should cancel. She has two strong scores and if her PTs were that high she should be totally fine. Also, from what I gather, schools only care about the highest score so unless she got a 150, then I think she should be fine. I think naturally canceling looks better than a low low second score but either way she will need to write an addendum so she can address whatever the outcome is there

That's my little half a cent of knowledge. Tell her congrats on her scores!

ThePiedPiper

Postby ThePiedPiper » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:51 am

californiauser wrote:What's the deal with UChi?

I have a fee waiver sitting in my inbox, the idea of spending 3 years in the southside of Chicago isn't too appealing, but the OCI numbers are impressive.

I think UChi is a great institution. I applied even though it was a reach for me. When I spoke to my interviewer from Northwestern she told me the neighborhood isn't really as bad as some make it out to be. But I guess to each its own. If I was to get in I would actually attend since moving and living in Chicago post graduation is high on my list. But again its a reach for me. I know the atmosphere is very intellectual and class size is small. And their OCI numbers are impressive. I say give it a shot and apply since you have a fee waiver.

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:28 am

californiauser wrote:What's the deal with UChi?

UChi is probably my number 2a. No clue how it is for minorities, I'm just planning on whatever law school I end up attending to no have that many minorities to keep my expectations low.

I also want to live in Chiraq for awhile to get my street cred up, maybe try to get myself on Worldstar or something

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:31 am

amc987 wrote:FYI: I posted a thread on this in the LSAT prep and discussion forum, but, in my experience, a different clientele tends to browse here. I didn't think it was kosher to make another thread, so I'm posting it in this thread. My SO is MA if that info is useful.

Hey y'all,

This score won't matter. She already has 3 takes, so if that was going to be a factor it already would be regardless of this score. And unless she got a 130, the score she got won't matter at all.

flowerhair789

Postby flowerhair789 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:47 am

Congrats!!!!

flowerhair789

Postby flowerhair789 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:48 am

BobMoses wrote:In at NYU! First T14 acceptance. I'm a frequent lurker who has benefited from reading the comments made by lots of you guys on this site. To all of you, I say thank you! I wish you all good luck this cycle.

Congrats!!! Thanks and good luck to you too.

flowerhair789

Postby flowerhair789 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:56 am

Last edited by flowerhair789 on Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

amc987

Postby amc987 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:48 am

mandyjay11 wrote:

Hey y'all,

Hi,

I don't think that she should cancel. She has two strong scores and if her PTs were that high she should be totally fine. Also, from what I gather, schools only care about the highest score so unless she got a 150, then I think she should be fine. I think naturally canceling looks better than a low low second score but either way she will need to write an addendum so she can address whatever the outcome is there

That's my little half a cent of knowledge. Tell her congrats on her scores!

Thanks for this! Best of luck to you on your cycle as well!

amc987

Postby amc987 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:50 am

Mojosodope wrote:

Hey y'all,

This score won't matter. She already has 3 takes, so if that was going to be a factor it already would be regardless of this score. And unless she got a 130, the score she got won't matter at all.

Thanks! So just to be clear, you think that getting a higher score might help but a lower score wouldn't hurt so there's no harm in cancelling? What about upward LSAT trend? You don't think they'd say the 172 was a fluke if she got less than that this time?

I personally don't think that she should cancel because she might've still gotten higher than she has now. But it's ultimately not my life so I'm trying to be as supportive as I can without pushing her in a direction.

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:57 am

amc987 wrote:
Mojosodope wrote:

Hey y'all,

Thanks! So just to be clear, you think that getting a higher score might help but a lower score wouldn't hurt so there's no harm in cancelling? What about upward LSAT trend? You don't think they'd say the 172 was a fluke if she got less than that this time?

I personally don't think that she should cancel because she might've still gotten higher than she has now. But it's ultimately not my life so I'm trying to be as supportive as I can without pushing her in a direction.

She would have some explaining to do if she got a 130 or something crazy. Other than that it won't matter, the only report the highest score so that's all the care about, especially with applications so far down.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”