URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
User avatar
lemons
Posts: 320
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:59 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby lemons » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:37 am

Dr.Zer0 wrote:
lemons wrote:
californiauser wrote:Thanks for the recommendations. I marathoned House of Cards a few months back. I can't wait for the next season


you should also try Masters of Sex. it's about Bill Masters, a surgeon who was interested in human sexuality so he conducted a bunch of studies on couples having sex and individuals masturbating. it's great and it has Lizzy Caplan (Janice) from Mean Girls.



LOL not surprised by Lemmons recommendation. Welcome back!


haha why are you not surprised?

and thanks! i'm happy to be done with the soul-sucking test that is the LSAT :mrgreen:

kenwash
Posts: 288
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:57 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby kenwash » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:40 am

mandyjay11 wrote:
ThePiedPiper wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:im trying to actually apply to schools... kind of failing at that :(


Why are you failing?


I am running out of ways to say I am black, I grew up poor, and I want to be a lawyer

I definitely feel you on that. I felt like writing these statements was such an obstacle. I worked on mine for months and wrote like 4 DS in the process before settling on my final one. What really helped me was getting feedback in the PS forum. I planned to submit by Oct31 and finally submitted most last weekend so I'm sure you're almost there!!

User avatar
mandyjay11
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby mandyjay11 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:48 am

good morning friends! I have made so much progress in the last 10 hours! All my apps are just about done. Watch me WERKKKK!

Image

User avatar
Percival Jenkins
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:07 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby Percival Jenkins » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:55 am

mandyjay11 wrote:good morning friends! I have made so much progress in the last 10 hours! All my apps are just about done. Watch me WERKKKK!

Image


Oooooh!!!

--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
lemons
Posts: 320
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:59 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby lemons » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:56 am

mandyjay11 wrote:good morning friends! I have made so much progress in the last 10 hours! All my apps are just about done. Watch me WERKKKK!

Image


Image

User avatar
mandyjay11
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby mandyjay11 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:57 am

nick and lemons, those gifs were so perfect for me right now!!!

User avatar
ThePiedPiper
Posts: 469
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:50 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby ThePiedPiper » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:55 am

mandyjay11 wrote:good morning friends! I have made so much progress in the last 10 hours! All my apps are just about done. Watch me WERKKKK!

Image


Image

Peanut butter jelly time!!! Work it out

User avatar
Yaaaas2013
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:01 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby Yaaaas2013 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:40 pm

ThePiedPiper wrote:
californiauser wrote:can anyone recommend anything on netflix?


Olympus Has Fallen is on there if you haven't seen it yet


I actually love the show Suits, although I'm sure that'll never be my life :(

wlee1220
Posts: 202
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:45 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby wlee1220 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:59 pm

Did anyone else get the email from Harvard about them extending their deadline to March 1st? Are there any other schools doing this?

User avatar
mandyjay11
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby mandyjay11 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:01 pm

Yaaaas2013 wrote:
ThePiedPiper wrote:
californiauser wrote:can anyone recommend anything on netflix?


Olympus Has Fallen is on there if you haven't seen it yet


I actually love the show Suits, although I'm sure that'll never be my life :(


no,no don't speak negative things into the universe! I know for sure I will be my own version of Jessica.

User avatar
AAJD2B
Posts: 871
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:37 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby AAJD2B » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:12 pm

wlee1220 wrote:Did anyone else get the email from Harvard about them extending their deadline to March 1st? Are there any other schools doing this?


Which may mean I can sit in Feb if I have to for Harvard should Dec not have gone well as planned!

User avatar
Black_Swan
Posts: 238
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:47 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby Black_Swan » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:24 pm

Super excited about the extension!
http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/admissions ... nes-oh-my/

Any JS1 here?

wlee1220
Posts: 202
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:45 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby wlee1220 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:28 pm

AAJD2B wrote:
wlee1220 wrote:Did anyone else get the email from Harvard about them extending their deadline to March 1st? Are there any other schools doing this?


Which may mean I can sit in Feb if I have to for Harvard should Dec not have gone well as planned!


Exactly!!! Another question though: So I took it in 10/11, 12/11 and 12/13. Can I take it again in Feb 2014?

User avatar
mandyjay11
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby mandyjay11 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:30 pm

wlee1220 wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:
wlee1220 wrote:Did anyone else get the email from Harvard about them extending their deadline to March 1st? Are there any other schools doing this?


Which may mean I can sit in Feb if I have to for Harvard should Dec not have gone well as planned!


Exactly!!! Another question though: So I took it in 10/11, 12/11 and 12/13. Can I take it again in Feb 2014?


I have that same question... I sat for 3 administrations already, does 4 look horrible?

User avatar
Percival Jenkins
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:07 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby Percival Jenkins » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:34 pm

The problem is not that yall can sit for the test. But it looks like they will only consider your score if FEB 2014 is the first time you took the test. I guess you can roll the dice and call their bluff.

EDIT: It does mention retakes which is weird considering earlier in the post it only mentions first time test takers.
Last edited by Percival Jenkins on Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
lemons
Posts: 320
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:59 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby lemons » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:37 pm

The way that I am reading the email and blog post make me think that they are only allowing the Feb lsat for first time takers. Although they are movi nf the deadline to March 1 so I'd imagine that non-first time takers would probably have their scores back too? Not sure.


Also, I'm wondering if applicants' stats have been down so they want more people to apply? My interview with an admissions person at vandy made it seem like applications were down and the caliber of applicants were down.

NanaP
Posts: 298
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:29 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby NanaP » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:40 pm

It's only for 1st time test takers....

User avatar
toshiroh
Posts: 439
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:58 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby toshiroh » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:55 pm

I got that Email and for about .2 seconds I thought Harvard was actually interested in me. Lol wishful thinking :lol:

User avatar
nabadgelyo
Posts: 143
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:58 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby nabadgelyo » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:36 pm

I applied to Harvard last week and my application is complete; I didn't receive that email--did it only go to people who have yet to submit, or am I just sad?

User avatar
Quan292
Posts: 283
Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 2:03 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby Quan292 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:45 pm

californiauser wrote:can anyone recommend anything on netflix?


I am lowkey a netflix independent comedy buff so here are a few of my favs- medicine for melancholy, Paper man, let go, a good day to be black and sexy, take this waltz, safety not guarentted, sleepwalk with me, butter and the details.

User avatar
August Wilson
Posts: 453
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:59 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby August Wilson » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:59 pm

Hey everybody I just listened to this: http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/512/house-rules

It's from This American Life and it discusses housing discrimination over the last several decades. It's a really interesting listen. It's about an hour, but I promise it's worth it.

Never thought I'd be a George Romney fan.

User avatar
August Wilson
Posts: 453
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:59 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby August Wilson » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:00 pm

Quan292 wrote:
californiauser wrote:can anyone recommend anything on netflix?


I am lowkey a netflix independent comedy buff so here are a few of my favs- medicine for melancholy, Paper man, let go, a good day to be black and sexy, take this waltz, safety not guarentted, sleepwalk with me, butter and the details.


Sleepwalk with me is such a good book, you should read it if you haven't already.

User avatar
mandyjay11
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby mandyjay11 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:17 pm

August Wilson wrote:Hey everybody I just listened to this: http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/512/house-rules

It's from This American Life and it discusses housing discrimination over the last several decades. It's a really interesting listen. It's about an hour, but I promise it's worth it.

Never thought I'd be a George Romney fan.


I will listen tomorrow at work

User avatar
toshiroh
Posts: 439
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:58 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby toshiroh » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:33 pm

Orange is the New Black is a good netflix series. I enjoyed it for the most part, though some of the racial stereotypes irked me. However, for my current job I go into the local prison almost every other day so I know it's not exactly false.

Also, if you're offended by lesbian activity, it might not be the best series for you.

User avatar
John_rizzy_rawls
Posts: 3477
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:44 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:44 pm

toshiroh wrote:if you're offended by lesbian activity


I can assure you this won't be a problem lol

Also, Laura Prepon, hrnff




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest