URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
mandyjay11

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby mandyjay11 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:12 pm

BentleyLittle wrote:
Oh okay. I retook a 150s score myself this October so seeing a 160+ on the real thing will be exciting.

I'd say just do LG sections every other day at least to stay sharp.

For sure, I mean I have done the majority of them 3 or 4 times already, but I should totally do that. Thanks! I hope we see a 160+ on this, we deserve it man!

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:13 pm

Mojosodope wrote:
I thought the RC, LG, and first LR sections weren't bad.

Than the other LR section potentially could've kicked my ass.

I probably circled like 12 of those questions in the 2nd LR to come back to and never got back around to them. SMH. It's fine, we probably did fine and are worrying for nothing.

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:18 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:
Mojosodope wrote:

I probably circled like 12 of those questions in the 2nd LR to come back to and never got back around to them. SMH. It's fine, we probably did fine and are worrying for nothing.

The damn stimuli were long as hell, I almost didn't finish in time because of that reason

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:20 pm

Mojosodope wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:
Mojosodope wrote:

The damn stimuli were long as hell, I almost didn't finish in time because of that reason

I noticed that... I was actively searching for the shortest stimuli and I couldn't find anything less then 4 sentences and most of it was just fluff. That was annoying.

MoMettaMonk

Postby MoMettaMonk » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:32 pm

So when do people think we'll be getting our scores back? I heard someone on TLS (I think it was either Mike Spivey or Campos) float the idea of the 25th.

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:33 pm

MoMettaMonk wrote:So when do people think we'll be getting our scores back? I heard someone on TLS (I think it was either Mike Spivey or Campos) float the idea of the 25th.

hopin for the 25th, if not it will be the 28th

fips tedora

Postby fips tedora » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:11 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:Sonbitch. This is the URM cycle thread.

1. The LSAT is completely learnable. People (like myself) don't go up 20+ points from their diagnostics by being extra fucking lucky on test day.

2. The system is inherently unfair to some individuals. No one denies the fact that a Cuban kid raised by a single parent in a Miami ghetto has a far lower chance of going to college than does a black kid whose dad's a neurosurgeon.

3. Both of you need to stop.

I see what you did there with the latter part of #2

Dr.Zer0

Postby Dr.Zer0 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:45 am

[redacted]
Last edited by Dr.Zer0 on Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Futuregohan14

Postby Futuregohan14 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:48 am

AAJD2B wrote:And Future, please do not attempt to speak for all black women. I do not want black men emasculated nor does my significant other personify that image. He is a leader, a provider and wears the pants in our relationship, and rightfully so.

To be fair, I did not speak for all black women (hence the use of the terms "by and large" and "commonly" as opposed to "all"), but fine, here's an edit.

Futuregohan14 wrote:Scandal emasculates black men because that is what the vast majority (but not all) of black women want to see. There is a reason it has built such a cult following among them-the relationships and the gender dynamics it depicts are in line with common black american female fantasies held by the vast majority (but not all) of black American women. These fantasies don't include men like Edison Davis-they're about Fitz.

I think Scandal speaks to the reality in our black community of successful black women, many of whom are single for a reason. I will be the first to admit many of us do not know how to maintain a healthy relationship, which in many instances can be explained by not having model father figures in our lives. By extension, black men need to step up and be men who marry instead of having commitment issues, freeloading off women and having babies they cannot care for. We have work to do and it starts with our kids and at home.

And I will add Shonda is wrong for placing non-black men on a pedestal and presenting outside women as an acceptable status quo.

Agree with most of this.

Here's why Scandal makes no sense for me.

Black Women in Real Life: Black women are vocal critics of black male failure to man up and marry them. They lament the black man's supposed unwillingness to commit and make a woman a wife, and state that he is often too willing to treat her like a mistress and fail to offer her the respect she deserves. There is a reason Beyonce's "Put a Ring On It" became such an anthem among black american women-it reflected these longstanding critiques, which commonly find their way into mainstreaam discourse in black media (magazines, television, websites, etc).
Black Women in Scandal: Olivia is a side piece who Fitz is not going to marry. Despite this treatment, legions of black women adore this relationship. Go figure.

Black Women in Real Life: Black women are vocal critics of black male failure in the household. Too often, black women say, black men step out on their children and their families. They are either never there at all or they're there but getting some on the side and not committing to fatherhood the way they ought to. This type of "dog" behavior is not ok and is undermining the stability of the black family.
Black Women in Scandal: Fitz is stepping out on his family for Olivia, his side piece, and legions of black women love the relationship anyway. Go figure.

Black Women in Real Life: Black women are vocal critics of black male mate choice. They lament the notion that educated, powerful blck men with options all to often select women of other races. These men, they say, seem not to place enough value on black women, or simply don't consider them good enough to stand by their side. By not making black women a priority, these men devalue black females.
Black Women in Scandal: Olivia has a man who is (at least in the show's universe) the most powerful black male on the planet. He is Pres. Pro Tempore of the Senate (3rd in line of Presidential succession) and likely one of the two or three most powerful legislators in the United States (he would need to be to receive and hold that kind of title, especially as a black male-note the dearth of black senators in the US today). The guy is the definition of the kind of "good black man" that black women spend so much time complaining about, the kind of many they say all too often doesn't make black women enough ofa priority.

But Edison does. He wants a black woman, and he wants her to be his wife. Not his side-piece, his wife. What happens to him?
Said black woman blows him off (not once, but twice) in order to remain the primary side piece of a man who won't wife her up and who is stepping out on his family and basically doing all of the bad things that black women charge black men with so often. And legions of the shows black female fans cheer this on-they hate Edison with an almost unreal passion (he really doesn't appear to earn it) and are happy to see him blown off in the way he was.

None of this makes sense unless you come to one conclusion: Black women (not all, just most) carry a deep resentment for black men. This is why they want to see men like Edison emasculated in the way they are on the show, and it is also why they are so supportive of a character who has all of the faults they attach to black men, but isn't actually black (Fitz).

I'll give Shonda Rhimes credit for tapping into this resentment, because it is a very rich mineral vein with the potential to lock in a lot of followers for a long time.

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:09 am

Future, your points are valid and I agree entirely except for the "most black women resent black men part". If that was actually the case, most black men would not be marrying black women. We are still marrying each other, even the accomplished brothers.

What I cannot stand nor except is the attack on black women by some black men. Some brothers take the sample of a few to try and make sweeping generalizations about our attitudes and personalities. Yet, you have the likes of Kanye West and Lamar Odom impregnating and marrying white women who embody those same qualities they resent. Go figure.

I will add that healthy black relationships still do exist. But this won't sell in the media, Hollywood or primetime TV. Audiences prefer to see us (black men and women) tear each other down, fight, abuse, belittle and shun each other. Shonda tapped into what society expects of accomplished black women in her treatment of accomplished black men while exploring the dynamics of the ever increasing interracial relationships between black women and white men as a remedy for black women.

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:44 am

Dr.Zer0 wrote:Jumping back into LSAT mode mañana. Took 1.5 weeks off since I decided to not sit for Oct. I'm actually excited to get back on that LSAT routine. A few quick things:

1) Mandyjay I'm soooooooooo sry but I have yet to finish a draft of my PS or DS statement. I'll get back to you ASAP.

2) Lemons, your brother's story gives me hope! Even if I do worse this Dec than last, I might still have a chance at UChi (~3.9/160) are you and your brother MA URM?

3) I'm glad this thread is finally active :D

No problem... I am still working on mine too!

Futuregohan14

Postby Futuregohan14 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:33 am

AAJD2B wrote:Future, your points are valid and I agree entirely except for the "most black women resent black men part". If that was actually the case, most black men would not be marrying black women. We are still marrying each other, even the accomplished brothers.

well, we've got the lowest marriage rate of any demographic and among the highest divorce rate (2/3). That's awkward.

What I cannot stand nor except is the attack on black women by some black men.

The attacks on black men by some (many) black women are just as bad and arguably more extensive. Black women are far more vocal in the mainstream media and the black media (both of which they patronize more heavily than black men) about the problems relating to black men than the reverse. Hit pieces on black men and their failure to "man up" are much more common than the reverse.

Some brothers take the sample of a few to try and make sweeping generalizations about our attitudes and personalities. Yet, you have the likes of Kanye West and Lamar Odom impregnating and marrying white women who embody those same qualities they resent. Go figure.

The biggest complaints I hear from black men (particularly with regard to shows like Scandal) is about the tendency for many black women to want to publicly emasculate black men and undermine them.
Are the Kardashians doing that to West and Odom?

C'mon, black men are not taking small samples of anything, they are taking very common attitudes and making common conclusions. Take scandal, for example: the show emasculates black men and portrays them in a negative light. It was created by a black woman and is by far the most beloved show black females watch on television.

Naturally, given the very strong connection the black female fanbase seems to have with the gender dynamics in shows like this, people begin to make conclusions about how they may feel using that show as a basis. The conclusion? Black women hold a resentment for black men, the show taps into this, hence its popularity among them.

That's not a small sample being drawn from to make that conclusion-Scandal is the most popular show on TV among black female viewers. Most young black women are among the viewership (I'd certainly be hard pressed to find one in my social circle who doesn't watch the show).

I will add that healthy black relationships still do exist. But this won't sell in the media, Hollywood or primetime TV. Audiences prefer to see us (black men and women) tear each other down, fight, abuse, belittle and shun each other.

Black women created Scandal. Black women are the biggest fans of Scandal and the gender dynamics it portrays. The show emasculates black men-black women (not all of them) love it.

If this show is what it is and black female audiences are more strongly drawn to it than others, why can't we conclude that there is some issue there?

Look, I'm not attacking you. I'm sure you don't have these issues and you don't resent your partner. I'm sure he's quite happy with your relationship as a result. But speaking more broadly about black America, I simply can't come to that kind of optimistic conclusion. I don't think your personal relationship and your views on black gender relations are really the norm in Black America anymore. That is why we're seeing so many issues in the black community.

Why is this? I'd bet the lack of fathers in households has something to do with it (a lot of black women resent their fathers or the lack of their fathers, extend that resentment to men-I've seen this admitted too many times in my personal life), but regardless of the cause the reality is what it is.

Shonda knows this, played to it and is laughing to the bank. Game recognized.

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:43 am

I can further this discussion with a response but am reminded that this thread is about law school admissions, not the social dynamics of black men and black women relationships.

All I will say is that realities aside, I intend to play my role in raising a strong black family and future generation. I am happy to have found a black man who shares this ideal. I hope you also intend to play your part as we are our own solutions.

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:46 pm

Is anyone applying for the AnBryce scholarship at NYU? I need to get that essay done.

It's weird that my PS, DS and apps are pretty much done but I still have so much to do. The goal is to send out my first batch of apps to all my reach schools come November 1st no matter my LSAT score (well, not really....I won't send out with a sub-160).

Oh and is anyone considering applying to Canadian law schools? I think I will.

EvMont

Postby EvMont » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:54 pm

AAJD2B wrote:Is anyone applying for the AnBryce scholarship at NYU? I need to get that essay done.

It's weird that my PS, DS and apps are pretty much done but I still have so much to do. The goal is to send out my first batch of apps to all my reach schools come November 1st no matter my LSAT score (well, not really....I won't send out with a sub-160).

I haven't considered Canadian schools at all. That's interesting. Which ones are you looking at?

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:42 pm

AAJD2B wrote:Is anyone applying for the AnBryce scholarship at NYU? I need to get that essay done.

I have to write my AnBryce essay. I think it will be very close to my DS though

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:24 pm

Evmont, I think I will apply to McGill and University of Toronto. They will be visiting the NY LSAC forum for the first time and I certainly want to hear what they have to offer.

Mojo, that is also my dilemma. My DS speaks to my challenges and obstacles being the first in my family to a attend college and the racism I have encountered in certain environments. I will try and flesh out some of these aspects in my essay but I am so unmotivated. I need to remind myself that this essay is the key to a potential free ride at a T5 law school.

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:00 pm

AAJD2B wrote:Evmont, I think I will apply to McGill and University of Toronto. They will be visiting the NY LSAC forum for the first time and I certainly want to hear what they have to offer.

Mojo, that is also my dilemma. My DS speaks to my challenges and obstacles being the first in my family to a attend college and the racism I have encountered in certain environments. I will try and flesh out some of these aspects in my essay but I am so unmotivated. I need to remind myself that this essay is the key to a potential free ride at a T5 law school.

Would you want to practice in Canada?

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:35 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:Evmont, I think I will apply to McGill and University of Toronto. They will be visiting the NY LSAC forum for the first time and I certainly want to hear what they have to offer.

Would you want to practice in Canada?

Yes, I think so. There are also many US law firms who hire Canadian lawyers here in NYC. They get paid the same without the law school debt. So technically the opportunities are similar out of University of Toronto. For McGill, since it teaches teaches both civil and common law, I can work within civil jurisdictions both in and outside of Canada, which would include most of Europe and Latin America.

I'm just casting a wide net lol.
Last edited by AAJD2B on Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toshiroh

Postby toshiroh » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:23 pm

Working full time M-F(mind you everyone is 40+ years old) and studying for the LSAT is the pits!!!!!!! Oh how easy it would be if I had a family that could support me while I study on their dime. Alas, I don't. :roll: Welcome to reality.

Nolegirl850

Postby Nolegirl850 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:48 pm

Does anyone have any ideas which schools in the South give out the most scholarship money to URM? If this even exists? :D :D

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:15 pm

Nolegirl850 wrote:Does anyone have any ideas which schools in the South give out the most scholarship money to URM? If this even exists? :D :D

That's worth attending:

UVA (some consider this in the South)
Duke
UTexas
Vanderbilt
Emory

applelover

Postby applelover » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:54 pm

Got accepted into Duke today. I hope they offer scholarship money.

Brettanomyces

Postby Brettanomyces » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:56 pm

AAJD2B wrote:
Nolegirl850 wrote:Does anyone have any ideas which schools in the South give out the most scholarship money to URM? If this even exists? :D :D

That's worth attending:

UVA (some consider this in the South)
Duke
UTexas
Vanderbilt
Emory

Some would argue that Austin isn't in the South.

EvMont

Postby EvMont » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:26 pm

applelover wrote:Got accepted into Duke today. I hope they offer scholarship money.

Congrats, applelover! Hopefully it's just the first of many to come :D :D

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”