URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
John_rizzy_rawls

Gold

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Post by John_rizzy_rawls » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:27 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:
John_rizzy_rawls wrote:(and bi-racial AAs 7-9 points lower)
I've been looking for this number for a while -- where are you getting it?
Somewhere in the AA thread I link to a comprehensive 2002 study on the black white standardized test score gap and in that article one section is about partial AAs and so I, having a personal investment in such info, have remembered that number. It's cite elsewhere, I'll find it when I get home but it seems like mixed race score minimally higher but it's inconclusive and subject to a lot of weird factors. I have no clue what that means.

-dasein-

New

Post by -dasein- » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:30 pm

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:
-dasein- wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:Future, I hope we will be classmates. Some of your responses are quite entertaining :lol: . Please do not get yourself banned. You've brought life to this thread even though your approach and condescension in some instances was downright wrong.

Anyway, have you sent your apps out yet?? You have a shot at H. I think they accepted a 3.5/161 last cycle given LSN. AA female. Make sure to keep us updated on your cycle, please.
Would love a link if you have one.

Also, peeps taking in December, wanna get a bit of friendly competition going to see who can score the highest in December? I find I'm better motivated when I'm competing.
Avatar bets are usually TCR around here. I'm game.
Haha it's onnn.
Last edited by -dasein- on Fri May 02, 2014 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

AAJD2B

Silver

Post by AAJD2B » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:35 pm

-dasein- wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:Future, I hope we will be classmates. Some of your responses are quite entertaining :lol: . Please do not get yourself banned. You've brought life to this thread even though your approach and condescension in some instances was downright wrong.

Anyway, have you sent your apps out yet?? You have a shot at H. I think they accepted a 3.5/161 last cycle given LSN. AA female. Make sure to keep us updated on your cycle, please.
Would love a link if you have one.

Also, peeps taking in December, wanna get a bit of friendly competition going to see who can score the highest in December? I find I'm better motivated when I'm competing.
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/xpxgymnxpx

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/khaleesiqueen

lemons

Bronze

Post by lemons » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:37 pm

-dasein- wrote: Haha it's onnn. Full disclosure for our audience out there, I sat in October, it felt like a low to mid 160s. Fingers crossed.

Anyone else wanna jump in?
I sat for October too.. i've been PTing around 165-172 (lowest is ~162) so even though I screwed up majorly (didn't finish the 4th passage in RC so I guessed D on the last 5 questions) i'm hoping for at least a 162 preferably higher :mrgreen:

BentleyLittle

Bronze

Post by BentleyLittle » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:48 pm

lemons wrote:
-dasein- wrote: Haha it's onnn. Full disclosure for our audience out there, I sat in October, it felt like a low to mid 160s. Fingers crossed.

Anyone else wanna jump in?
I sat for October too.. i've been PTing around 165-172 (lowest is ~162) so even though I screwed up majorly (didn't finish the 4th passage in RC so I guessed D on the last 5 questions) i'm hoping for at least a 162 preferably higher :mrgreen:
Lemons, do you plan on retaking? I want to if I don't hit a certan score range but I can't bring myself to start!
Last edited by BentleyLittle on Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lemons

Bronze

Post by lemons » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:05 pm

i'm waiting to see my score before i decide if i am going to retake... i know i can do better than how i did on the October test but i want to enjoy my last few months at college (i'm graduating in Dec.) also i'm not sure if the stress is worth it haha

but yeah, if i get at least a 164 i'll just stay with that and ED to schools one after the other until i get in to a T14. if i don't get into a T14 (or maybe T20)this cycle i'll sit for it again in June. what range do you want to reach? or are you just planning for the December sitting no matter what?

Brettanomyces

Bronze

Post by Brettanomyces » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:07 pm

lemons wrote:i'm waiting to see my score before i decide if i am going to retake... i know i can do better than how i did on the October test but i want to enjoy my last few months at college (i'm graduating in Dec.) also i'm not sure if the stress is worth it haha

but yeah, if i get at least a 164 i'll just stay with that and ED to schools one after the other until i get in to a T14. if i don't get into a T14 (or maybe T20)this cycle i'll sit for it again in June. what range do you want to reach? or are you just planning for the December sitting no matter what?
Don't ED. Also, two months of stress is worth any improvement on a 164.

lemons

Bronze

Post by lemons » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:23 pm

Brettanomyces wrote:
in general i would totally 100% agree but i just really really need to not worry about law school admissions and LSAT things anymore... i value my mental health a lot, which is why i decided a 164 is the lowest i am willing to go. I know I can do better but I'm not sure if it is worth my health and my sanity. also, my GPA is low enough that I doubt that I will be getting any scholly $$ even if I did RD.

ETA: i know that as a MA a 164 is not super great, but my brother got into Chicago with a 162 (no WhyX, targeted LoRs, etc.)
Last edited by lemons on Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BentleyLittle

Bronze

Post by BentleyLittle » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:24 pm

lemons wrote:i'm waiting to see my score before i decide if i am going to retake... i know i can do better than how i did on the October test but i want to enjoy my last few months at college (i'm graduating in Dec.) also i'm not sure if the stress is worth it haha

I'm thinking that I scored between 165-170, -17 being a conservative guess. I had to guess on a few questions on the last game (which was an unusual occurrence during prep) but I feel like I owned RC and was unconscious during LR. LR could go either way, honestly. If I hit 168/169 I'd have to think hard about it. 170 and I'll put the books away for sure. I'm just hesitant to rely on the MA boost given the anecdotes that people have given about MA cycles. I have a 3.3X GPA.

I have one take left though. My work week is 60 hours long with commute and the idea of restarting my caffeine fueled/sleep deprived study mode is not too appealing after the freedom of the past ten days.
Last edited by BentleyLittle on Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mojosodope

Silver

Post by Mojosodope » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:24 pm

Yeah don't ED, if you missed the previous argument a 162 is good enough for the t14 depending on GPA

Brettanomyces

Bronze

Post by Brettanomyces » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:28 pm

lemons wrote:
Brettanomyces wrote:
in general i would totally 100% agree but i just really really need to not worry about law school admissions and LSAT things anymore... i gained 10 lbs over the summer/before the LSAT, my skin has broken out more than i ever did even when i was a hormonal teenager, and i've just been all around miserable. i value my mental health a lot, which is why i decided a 164 is the lowest i am willing to go. I know I can do better but I'm not sure if it is worth my health and my sanity. also, my GPA is low enough that I doubt that I will be getting any scholly $$ even if I did RD.

ETA: i know that as a MA a 164 is not super great, but my brother got into Chicago with a 162, and he didn't even try (no WhyX, targeted LoRs, etc.)
I'd think of it as an exercise in being stressed. The lower on the t14 you end up, the more you have to worry about grades, anyway.

Even if you decide to ride it out with a 162 or 164, don't ED. It tends not to help URM candidates--all you're doing is setting yourself up to pay sticker at a school you could have gotten a scholarship from.

lemons

Bronze

Post by lemons » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:35 pm

Last edited by lemons on Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

lemons

Bronze

Post by lemons » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:43 pm

Mojosodope wrote:
Yeah don't ED, if you missed the previous argument a 162 is good enough for the t14 depending on GPA

My GPA is a 3.3X and I'm MA so I'm not sure how my cycle will turn out with those stats. there isn't much data on LSN for non-AA URM unfortunately. so many choiceschoices
Brettanomyces wrote:
I'd think of it as an exercise in being stressed. The lower on the t14 you end up, the more you have to worry about grades, anyway.

Even if you decide to ride it out with a 162 or 164, don't ED. It tends not to help URM candidates--all you're doing is setting yourself up to pay sticker at a school you could have gotten a scholarship from.
can you explain what you mean by having to worry about grades more? I thought all the T14 had good enough names for any job market in the US but I haven't done much research. :?

and from what i've read my GPA limits the amount of $$ a school will give me, anywhere on the upper T14.. again, most of my research has been on LSN (not too helpful) and TLS, with some advice from my brother

BentleyLittle

Bronze

Post by BentleyLittle » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:45 pm

lemons wrote:
BentleyLittle wrote:
I'm thinking that I scored between 165-170, -17 being a conservative guess. I had to guess on a few questions on the last game (which was an unusual occurrence during prep) but I feel like I owned RC and was unconscious during LR. LR could go either way, honestly. If I hit 168/169 I'd have to think hard about it. 170 and I'll put the books away for sure. I'm just hesitant to rely on the MA boost given the anecdotes that people have given about MA cycles. I have a 3.3X GPA.

I have one take left though. My work week is 60 hours long with commute and the idea of restarting my caffeine fueled/sleep deprived study mode is not too appealing after the freedom of the past ten days.

That's pretty awesome! RC was my problem section this time around but I felt really comfortable with my LG section. i think a 168/169 would put you in a pretty great position for all T14 except Yale and Stanford.. my brother got into Chicago with a 162 and a 3.6X (but with no $).

and i agree that the MA boost is unreliable at best.. quite frankly I'm only interested in the lower T14 because I'm not a fan of cities and I don't think I have a chance at HYS.. I would be very happy to go to UVA with no $ :mrgreen:

but i don't blame you, these past 10 days have been a little slice of heaven without all the studying. right before the test, I was getting -10 to -12 consistently and i'm more than a little curious if the last few days of relaxation have made my PTing even better :mrgreen:
Yeah I will just suck it up until scores are released I guess! Congrats to your brother though, that's amazing!

Have you started your PS yet? I'd be willing to swap. I've been looking for MAs for PS/DS review but no luck yet!

lemons

Bronze

Post by lemons » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:49 pm

BentleyLittle wrote:
Have you started your PS yet? I'd be willing to swap. I've been looking for MAs for PS/DS review but no luck yet!

Yeah, I'd totally be willing to swap... I haven't started actually putting pen to paper :oops: but i should have a first draft done by the middle of next week that I can share with you!

mandyjay11

Silver

Post by mandyjay11 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:51 pm

Do you guys think a month is enough time to study for December? I am getting worried that my October score will be a replica of my June score. This is my last retake, too. Ugh

Also, this link, page 19 shows LSAT averages by race ... http://www.lsac.org/docs/default-source ... -12-03.pdf

BentleyLittle

Bronze

Post by BentleyLittle » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:51 pm

lemons wrote:
BentleyLittle wrote:

Yeah, I'd totally be willing to swap... I haven't started actually putting pen to paper :oops: but i should have a first draft done by the middle of next week that I can share with you!
Cool, just PM me when you're ready!

BentleyLittle

Bronze

Post by BentleyLittle » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:54 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:Do you guys think a month is enough time to study for December? I am getting worried that my October score will be a replica of my June score. This is my last retake, too. Ugh

Also, this link, page 19 shows LSAT averages by race ... http://www.lsac.org/docs/default-source ... -12-03.pdf
I think it depends on what your weaknesses are. My worst section is LR so I bought the LSAT trainer and Cambridge bundles for the types I was having trouble with prior to October but I've had no motivation to begin.

I know if I don't start now I'll be wishing in December that I'd started a few weeks earlier.

What did you hit in June and what is your goal? You're MA also, correct?

Mojosodope

Silver

Post by Mojosodope » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:55 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:Do you guys think a month is enough time to study for December? I am getting worried that my October score will be a replica of my June score. This is my last retake, too. Ugh

I would make sure you were prepared and comfortable.

December usually has the biggest curve though

mandyjay11

Silver

Post by mandyjay11 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:58 pm

BentleyLittle wrote:

I think it depends on what your weaknesses are. My worst section is LR so I bought the LSAT trainer and Cambridge bundles for the types I was having trouble with prior to October but I've had no motivation to begin.

I know if I don't start now I'll be wishing in December that I'd started a few weeks earlier.

no, no I'm AA and I got mid 150's in June, but I gave up on the Reading comp section. Like literally I read dodos and just waited for the 5 minute call and guessed for 2 and a half passages. My goal is 163. I was PT-ing pretty well, but I had taken those tests already so I didn't feel like I got an accurate measure of my progress.

All in all i think that gave me a false hope in my abilities, so now I'm worried. I dont want to start studying anything until my Personal Statements and stuff are done which wont be until at least November 1.

So I am wondering if I start November 1 will I be able to make a significant improvement.

mandyjay11

Silver

Post by mandyjay11 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:00 pm

Mojosodope wrote:

I felt so ready for October, the games felt manageable and the reading comp was a complete 180 degree difference from June. I finished with time to spare. But now im wondering if I thought it was TOO manageable and I actually failed the entire thing again.

Mojosodope

Silver

Post by Mojosodope » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:05 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:
Mojosodope wrote:

I felt so ready for October, the games felt manageable and the reading comp was a complete 180 degree difference from June. I finished with time to spare. But now im wondering if I thought it was TOO manageable and I actually failed the entire thing again.
you'll be alright.

I'm not worrying about a retake until I get my score back, but thats probably not the best plan. I just have plenty of stuff to keep me busy until then.

I also felt everything was manageable, for me its all going to be up to the harder LR section.

BentleyLittle

Bronze

Post by BentleyLittle » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:07 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:
BentleyLittle wrote:

no, no I'm AA and I got mid 150's in June, but I gave up on the Reading comp section. Like literally I read dodos and just waited for the 5 minute call and guessed for 2 and a half passages. My goal is 163. I was PT-ing pretty well, but I had taken those tests already so I didn't feel like I got an accurate measure of my progress.

All in all i think that gave me a false hope in my abilities, so now I'm worried. I dont want to start studying anything until my Personal Statements and stuff are done which wont be until at least November 1.

So I am wondering if I start November 1 will I be able to make a significant improvement.
Oh okay. I retook a 150s score myself this October so seeing a 160+ on the real thing will be exciting.

I'd say just do LG sections every other day at least to stay sharp.

mandyjay11

Silver

Post by mandyjay11 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:08 pm

Mojosodope wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:
Mojosodope wrote:

you'll be alright.

I'm not worrying about a retake until I get my score back, but thats probably not the best plan. I just have plenty of stuff to keep me busy until then.

I also felt everything was manageable, for me its all going to be up to the harder LR section.
Can I tell you I was like " What the f%#" out loud, during the test... That LR was not playing with us that day, geesh. I wasnt ready lol But, yeah, I'll wait for the scores to drop then hit the ground running.

Mojosodope

Silver

Post by Mojosodope » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:10 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:
Mojosodope wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:
Mojosodope wrote:

you'll be alright.

Can I tell you I was like " What the f%#" out loud, during the test... That LR was not playing with us that day, geesh. I wasnt ready lol But, yeah, I'll wait for the scores to drop then hit the ground running.
I thought the RC, LG, and first LR sections weren't bad.

Than the other LR section potentially could've kicked my ass.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”