URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
sassybassy

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby sassybassy » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:50 pm

I think they don't know how she's connected to all of them. We know she saved each of them from particularly bad situations, but except for Quinn and now Huck, we don't actually know why. Harrison's loyalty to her might break if she's the reason he went to jail because he's always going on about the fact that she got him out. Who knows. I never thought Huck would lay his hands on her. And OMG her dad! I always thought she broke up with Edison because he wasn't right for her, but THIS! I'm way into this show. Lol

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:51 pm

Plus Mojoslowdope is a pretty wack attempt at being witty

--ImageRemoved--

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:52 pm

sassybassy wrote:I think they don't know how she's connected to all of them. We know she saved each of them from particularly bad situations, but except for Quinn and now Huck, we don't actually know why. Harrison's loyalty to her might break if she's the reason he went to jail because he's always going on about the fact that she got him out. Who knows. I never thought Huck would lay his hands on her. And OMG her dad! I always thought she broke up with Edison because he wasn't right for her, but THIS! I'm way into this show. Lol

I think that really is why they broke up, because I think she only accepted the proposal to push her father's buttons.

Quan292

Postby Quan292 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:03 pm

Mojosodope wrote:Plus Mojoslowdope is a pretty wack attempt at being witty

--ImageRemoved--

Mojo So Dope is easily one of Cudi's best songs tho, gotta respect the name.

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:07 pm

Guys, gals....how are you labeling your why statements? I placed in my header "Letter of Interest Statement". I thought "Why ________ Statement" was improper. Thoughts?

applelover

Postby applelover » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:13 pm

sassybassy wrote:I think they don't know how she's connected to all of them. We know she saved each of them from particularly bad situations, but except for Quinn and now Huck, we don't actually know why. Harrison's loyalty to her might break if she's the reason he went to jail because he's always going on about the fact that she got him out. Who knows. I never thought Huck would lay his hands on her. And OMG her dad! I always thought she broke up with Edison because he wasn't right for her, but THIS! I'm way into this show. Lol

Yea, I thought Huck would snap her neck, he looked so deranged. And I never thought about her being the reason Harrison went to jail! Hmm that would be an interesting twist. Also, am I the only one who has wanted her and Harrison to get together?

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:18 pm

applelover wrote:

Yea, I thought Huck would snap her neck, he looked so deranged. And I never thought about her being the reason Harrison went to jail! Hmm that would be an interesting twist. Also, am I the only one who has wanted her and Harrison to get together?

You and me both but I cannot stand how the show emasculates black men (well except Daddy Pope now). No shade but I am happy Kerry married a black man in real life...and he is Nigerian. :mrgreen:

Futuregohan14

Postby Futuregohan14 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:24 pm

Mojosodope wrote:
You do know John Winthrop was quoting the Sermon on the Mount right?

Yes, I know where Winthrop got the quote. That is not where I got it.

However, never have I heard you state that you have maxed out your score, or that you honestly don't think you could have done better.

???

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=211454&start=250#p7153523

Futuregohan14 wrote:I concluded prior to my sitting that exam that I'd reached the peak of LSAT preparation-162 was pretty much as good as I was going to do. A re-take may (and that is a big MAY) have yielded 1 more point, 2 at most, but probably not enough to significantly improve my chances. A 1 or 2 point drop was just as likely in my evaluation based on the prep I had done.

But I'll get back on my high horse and say this again, the difference between you and I is obvious. I don't want my score to be "good enough" in terms of just AA, I want my score to be good enough among everyone. I want to be able to say with a straight face that I was not just an affirmative action admit, that my numbers would have been competitive even if I was white.

The difference between you and I is that you care what these critics think about you. You are trying to prove a point to those vocal people who would belittle your accomplishments due to claims of "affirmative action".

Eventually you will come to understand the fruitlessness of your logic. You will come to realize that the bulk of those who would belittle you and speak most vocally against affirmative action are the children of privilege themselves (LinkRemoved), that they are okay with their having received that privilege, and that they continue to receive it to this day (and aren't at all opposed to doing so).

You will come to understand that striving just to prove a point to these people is useless, because you will never be good enough in their eyes. They are not belittling you with claims of affirmative action because they genuinely dislike unearned "privileges" (which they benefit from). They are belittling you because you are black and that in and of itself is reason enough to doubt your ability.

This is why these critics are silent about all of the privileges (ex: legacy admissions) they tend to receive en masse, even as they get very loud in their bid to undermine you and your alleged reception of them (which they very often cannot even prove).

It is why they discuss AA in the legal field as though it were some sort of apocalyptic trend that posed a mortal threat to their future and that of their children, even as the URMs targeted by AA number no more than 10% of the legal profession (and whites are still overrepresented).

It is why they continue to critique the use of AA at elite universities as a trend that limits their opportunities and discriminates against them, while ignoring the fact that AA is the only thing keeping most elite undergrads predominantly white (East Asians and a few Jews would run the Ivies if we just went on test scores alone; the non-jewish whites who complain the loudest about blacks and hispanics "taking their spots" are actually taking spots themselves from East Asians, going by their logic).

They're fine with subjective, non-merit based criteria in the workplace and in academia...just not for you.

This was the case before affirmative action and it will be the case long after it. Regardless of how hard you try to prove that you belong, the fact is that you never will. Even if your numbers were "competitive" with whites, the fact would remain that you are not white. That is what counts above all else and allows for all of the hypocrisy I just noted above. The other factors are irrelevant. These critics do not really care whether or not you are able to say with a "straight face" that you're there on "merit" (again, they support non-merit based advancement all the time so long as you've got the "right" skin tone). What they care about is the color of your skin.

Once you start to truly understand the hypocrisy and moral bankruptcy of those who seek to undermine you, you will cease your attempts to acknowledge them or anything they say. You'll be better for it.

Guess what I'll do if I get below my target score, even if it is "good enough"? Retake.

And you will still probably fail to land among the .1%. And that will be ok, because you'll probably still go very far...if you are willing to accept that.
Last edited by Futuregohan14 on Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sassybassy

Postby sassybassy » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:26 pm

No. No. No to Harrison and Olivia.

AAJD2B - does the school list it as "Optional Statement 1" etc? If so, I would use that title to indicate which statement/essay prompt you are responding to.

applelover

Postby applelover » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:28 pm

AAJD2B wrote:
applelover wrote:

You and me both but I cannot stand how the show emasculates black men (well except Daddy Pope now). No shade but I am happy Kerry married a black man in real life...and he is Nigerian. :mrgreen:

I've always felt like Harrison would be her perfect match and he's an attractive intelligent SINGLE man. I'm happy too. I'm waiting on her to confirm those pregnancy rumors.

sassybassy

Postby sassybassy » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:32 pm

If she's pregnant, would that mean that Olivia has to be pregnant too??? I would die.

applelover

Postby applelover » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:33 pm

sassybassy wrote:No. No. No to Harrison and Olivia.

AAJD2B - does the school list it as "Optional Statement 1" etc? If so, I would use that title to indicate which statement/essay prompt you are responding to.

What? Why not! He obviously holds a torch to Olivia and the writers won't put a woman in his life. Everyone else has gotten a shot at love: Quinn (even though it was in her past life), Huck (even though she was setting him up), and Abby (even though Olivia made Harrison ruin it). I want Harrison to have someone, and I feel like Olivia could be that person.

However, the show is so popular because of the interracial relationship. If this was a story about a black woman sleeping with a black president, I doubt ABC would have picked it up. Therefore, I doubt Shonda will ever allow Olivia and the President to split and thats why the only other man who really came close to her was Jake not Eddison.

applelover

Postby applelover » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:35 pm

sassybassy wrote:If she's pregnant, would that mean that Olivia has to be pregnant too??? I would die.

They might film the rest of the season before she starts showing, who knows.

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:40 pm

Futuregohan, first off your language is getting a little too race-baiting and inflammatory for my taste so cool it with the "whites don't care about anything but your inferior blackness" stuff. If you really want to discuss the merits and consequences of affirmative action discuss it here and only here.

Second, I'm a firm firm advocate of affirmative action but I simply can't agree with you on this position that you improving your LSAT is a futile attempt to appease AA critics. We owe it to ourselves to give this test everything we've got. The fact that on average African American LSAT takers score 10-12 points lower on this test (and bi-racial AAs 7-9 points lower) is an indictment of cumulative structural inequities, no doubt. But as time passes and society attempts to slowly but surely remove the barriers that allow blacks the same base access to opportunity as whites, we cannot use the tools we've been given to allow us to even the playing field to simply keep the playing field uneven. It is both counter-intuitive and counter-productive.

I began PTing at 164, I scored a 171, I am retaking in December for a few points higher. I didn't do this because I felt like I had something to prove but because I knew that I had it in myself to score the same or higher as anyone else. I'm not retaking to give myself legitimacy but because I understand that not reaching my full potential because I know that I have a boost to rest on does myself, my family, and my friends a disservice. To continue to delude yourself into believing that your satisfaction with your score is rooted in some social justice stance is silly and I for one am not buying it. You're not trying because you're comparing yourself to data points instead of trying to become more than a statistic, and that's just not okay. It may be just fine for you in the micro sense but if every black, Hispanic, and Native American law school applicant thought and acted as you from now until whenever we'll never see a close in the score gap between URMs and non-URMs and that is a major problem. So in that vain I would ask you to act as if you're acting for all other URMs because the sad fact is that there are so few URM applicants to law school (let alone black males) that the act of one actually does have a significant impact on the aggregate data.

Futuregohan14

Postby Futuregohan14 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:26 pm

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:I began PTing at 164, I scored a 171, I am retaking in December for a few points higher. I didn't do this because I felt like I had something to prove but because I knew that I had it in myself to score the same or higher as anyone else.

That's great, but I wasn't talking about you. The user I'm actually responding to gave a different rationale for his re-take that tied more specifically to the maintenance of standing among potential critics and the removal of a "stigma" for AA that they would attach to him.

To continue to delude yourself into believing that your satisfaction with your score is rooted in some social justice stance is silly and I for one am not buying it.

Good, because I'm not selling it. None of what I wrote above was intended to inspire some sort of progressive social action or use such action to justify anything, least of all my score.

It simply is not wise or practical to work to prove a point to someone that they themselves are not interested in proving to themselves and are only interested in seeing proven by you. My satisfaction with my score exists entirely independent of any concerns regarding social justice-the point of the writing above was to show why it should remain that way, because I believe that the critiques of the morally bankrupt and hypocritical should have no impact on how you feel about your score.

I am satisfied with my score, regardless of what AA critics would like to say about it. Their thoughts have no impact on how I feel about my score or the effort I put into it. I do not care what they think, and neither should anyone else. That's the point.

You're not trying because you're comparing yourself to data points instead of trying to become more than a statistic, and that's just not okay.

I'm not 'trying' an additional re-take because I see no utility in doing so given the fact that a) I'm likely maxed out scorewise and b) I'm already set to go where I want to go. The LSAT offers me no opportunity to become more than a statistic-it is an exam, statistics and measurements are all it can offer. Any bid to become more than a statistic will be furthered in law school and in the legal profession itself, not on test day.

It may be just fine for you in the micro sense but if every black, Hispanic, and Native American law school applicant thought and acted as you from now until whenever we'll never see a close in the score gap between URMs and non-URMs and that is a major problem. So in that vain I would ask you to act as if you're acting for all other URMs because the sad fact is that there are so few URM applicants to law school (let alone black males) that the act of one actually does have a significant impact on the aggregate data.

To each their own.

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:35 pm

You keep saying you've maxed out your score. How much have you studied?

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:35 pm

Futuregohan, where are you looking to attend law school? Do you have a top choice? Is scholarship money more important to you or is prestige/reputation?

lemons

Postby lemons » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:39 pm

Futuregohan14 just stop responding... srsly. you are making a big deal out of what we all agreed was over.

now... back to Scandal.

AAJD2B wrote:You and me both but I cannot stand how the show emasculates black men (well except Daddy Pope now). No shade but I am happy Kerry married a black man in real life...and he is Nigerian. :mrgreen:

i was totally thinking that Scandal emasculates black men... i'm kinda getting that vibe from Grey's Anatomy too, so maybe it's Shonda Rhimes?

twenty

Postby twenty » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:52 pm

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:(and bi-racial AAs 7-9 points lower)

I've been looking for this number for a while -- where are you getting it?

Futuregohan14

Postby Futuregohan14 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:56 pm

AAJD2B wrote:Futuregohan, where are you looking to attend law school? Do you have a top choice?

Any T-14, basically (plus a couple of T-20s that I really like). Preference is for the East Coast, but I'm open to moving if need-be. My goal is to just get a good degree that can lead to employment.

Is scholarship money more important to you or is prestige/reputation?

I would happily trade the prestige/rep away for a sizable scholarship offer, unless I were to end up getting into Harvard by some sort of miracle.

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:You keep saying you've maxed out your score. How much have you studied?

I started prepping for the LSAT back in 2010, got more serious in 2011. That amounts to a little over a year. I went through every prep-test from 13 up, purchased every powerscore bible (each worked through twice), and took two formal courses. I also went through all of Manhattan LSAT's books, and took the test itself twice.

lemons wrote:Futuregohan14 just stop responding... srsly. you are making a big deal out of what we all agreed was over.

Here are my thoughts on your request and your opinion on when this discussion was "over". Srsly.

now... back to Scandal.

AAJD2B wrote:You and me both but I cannot stand how the show emasculates black men (well except Daddy Pope now). No shade but I am happy Kerry married a black man in real life...and he is Nigerian. :mrgreen:

i was totally thinking that Scandal emasculates black men... i'm kinda getting that vibe from Grey's Anatomy too, so maybe it's Shonda Rhimes?

Scandal emasculates black men because that is what black women want to see, by and large. There is a reason it has built such a cult following among them-the relationships and the gender dynamics it depicts are in line with common black american female fantasies. These fantasies don't include men like Edison Davis-they're about Fitz.

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:05 pm

Future, I hope we will be classmates. Some of your responses are quite entertaining :lol: . Please do not get yourself banned. You've brought life to this thread even though your approach and condescension in some instances was downright wrong.

Anyway, have you sent your apps out yet?? You have a shot at H. I think they accepted a 3.5/161 last cycle given LSN. AA female. Make sure to keep us updated on your cycle, please.

lemons

Postby lemons » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:09 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:
John_rizzy_rawls wrote:(and bi-racial AAs 7-9 points lower)

I've been looking for this number for a while -- where are you getting it?

yeah, i'm curious about this number too... i'm MA so i'm also curious about halfie mexican americans but i wouldn't be surprised if there was no data on that.

applelover wrote:
sassybassy wrote:If she's pregnant, would that mean that Olivia has to be pregnant too??? I would die.

They might film the rest of the season before she starts showing, who knows.

whoa, plot twist.. olivia prego with Fitz' baby? or maybe Jake Ballard's?

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:18 pm

And Future, please do not attempt to speak for all black women. I do not want black men emasculated nor does my significant other personify that image. He is a leader, a provider and wears the pants in our relationship, and rightfully so.

I think Scandal speaks to the reality in our black community of successful black women, many of whom are single for a reason. I will be the first to admit many of us do not know how to maintain a healthy relationship, which in many instances can be explained by not having model father figures in our lives. By extension, black men need to step up and be men who marry instead of having commitment issues, freeloading off women and having babies they cannot care for. We have work to do and it starts with our kids and at home.

And I will add Shonda is wrong for placing non-black men on a pedestal and presenting outside women as an acceptable status quo.

-dasein-

Postby -dasein- » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:21 pm

AAJD2B wrote:Future, I hope we will be classmates. Some of your responses are quite entertaining :lol: . Please do not get yourself banned. You've brought life to this thread even though your approach and condescension in some instances was downright wrong.

Anyway, have you sent your apps out yet?? You have a shot at H. I think they accepted a 3.5/161 last cycle given LSN. AA female. Make sure to keep us updated on your cycle, please.

Would love a link if you have one.
Last edited by -dasein- on Fri May 02, 2014 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:25 pm

-dasein- wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:Future, I hope we will be classmates. Some of your responses are quite entertaining :lol: . Please do not get yourself banned. You've brought life to this thread even though your approach and condescension in some instances was downright wrong.

Would love a link if you have one.

Also, peeps taking in December, wanna get a bit of friendly competition going to see who can score the highest in December? I find I'm better motivated when I'm competing.

Avatar bets are usually TCR around here. I'm game.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”