URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
mandyjay11

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby mandyjay11 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:00 pm

MoMettaMonk wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:side note: y'all which one of you is this person? http://lawschoolnumbers.com/dreusmc711

Might be Dr. Dre, at least that would be my guess.

Hmmm it might be! I need him to confirm so I can find a congrats gif for him

Dr.Zer0

Postby Dr.Zer0 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:05 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:
MoMettaMonk wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:side note: y'all which one of you is this person? http://lawschoolnumbers.com/dreusmc711

Hmmm it might be! I need him to confirm so I can find a congrats gif for him

I don't think that's Dr.Dre, he lists a lower gpa and higher LSAT on his TLS prof. Also I don't think Dr. Dre has kids.

NanaP

Postby NanaP » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:07 pm

MoMettaMonk wrote:

I don't think it's him. This person is married with a child. And if I recall, Dr Dre is LGBT. Now that I think about it, it could still be him....

Brettanomyces

Postby Brettanomyces » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:15 pm

Those are some pretty strong softs...

twenty

Postby twenty » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:48 pm

Also, totally not his writing style.

Like, if this were him, it would be: LOLCALIFORNIA. got into you see berkeley. you know what sucks, you see eye lol hth.

Quan292

Postby Quan292 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:18 pm

californiauser wrote:http://abovethelaw.com/2013/11/racists-t-shirts-on-campus-only-if-you-bother-to-think-about-it/

thoughts?

Type late but the article says students wore the shirts in wednesday to class as kind of a statement like yea I know some students were offended before but i'm wearing it again to show you I agree and I do not care how you feel. After being on tls for a while you can tell many of your classmates won't think you belong but knowing that ur persons will go through hoops to show that is a lil scary to me.

ps this blog is awesome and the author is pretty dope.

midnight_circus

Postby midnight_circus » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:54 pm

MoMettaMonk wrote:
midnight_circus wrote:Oh my god. That is horrifying.
I mean, as for the kids wearing Team Sander shirts, I DGAF. I mean, it's definitely some first-rate ass-kissing BS, but I imagine it is brownnosing and not deliberately racist intent on the part of the kids wearing the shirts.

This makes me grumpy.

I disagree with this. We're not talking about some high schoolers, or even some random undergrads. We're talking about ADULTS in their 20s who deliberately chose this professor. A professor, as everyone has pointed out, that CAN'T EVEN HAVE AFRICAN AMERICANS IN HIS CLASSES! No, these are highly intelligent adults at a top professional school who made a choice to do something that they knew would offend the few African American classmates that they do have, and I refuse to try to make excuses for their actions when the obvious reason is slapping me in the face.

To be fair, they didn't choose. It is a 1L class and the administration just places people in sections with him or, in the case of black students, with other professors. You're right that I'm not giving them enough responsibility for their actions. They are adults and should know better. But I also think it's likely that they weren't thinking very carefully about all the political and social implications when they wore the shirts.
Of course, if my theory is true, now that they know, the shirts will never seen on campus again.
But somehow I doubt that is the case. :\

EvMont

Postby EvMont » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:57 pm

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:01 pm

midnight_circus wrote:
MoMettaMonk wrote:
midnight_circus wrote:Oh my god. That is horrifying.
I mean, as for the kids wearing Team Sander shirts, I DGAF. I mean, it's definitely some first-rate ass-kissing BS, but I imagine it is brownnosing and not deliberately racist intent on the part of the kids wearing the shirts.

This makes me grumpy.

I disagree with this. We're not talking about some high schoolers, or even some random undergrads. We're talking about ADULTS in their 20s who deliberately chose this professor. A professor, as everyone has pointed out, that CAN'T EVEN HAVE AFRICAN AMERICANS IN HIS CLASSES! No, these are highly intelligent adults at a top professional school who made a choice to do something that they knew would offend the few African American classmates that they do have, and I refuse to try to make excuses for their actions when the obvious reason is slapping me in the face.

To be fair, they didn't choose. It is a 1L class and the administration just places people in sections with him or, in the case of black students, with other professors. You're right that I'm not giving them enough responsibility for their actions. They are adults and should know better. But I also think it's likely that they weren't thinking very carefully about all the political and social implications when they wore the shirts.
Of course, if my theory is true, now that they know, the shirts will never seen on campus again.
But somehow I doubt that is the case. :\

so why do you try to rationalize their decision? just curious.

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:14 pm

Last year, Dr. Christian Head, a former surgeon at UCLA's medical school, filed a complaint describing horrible treatment he received while on staff -- including when a UCLA staff displayed a slideshow image to hundreds of his colleagues. In the image, Dr. Head’s face was superimposed onto the body of a gorilla standing on all-fours being sodomized by his Caucasian supervisor. After thousands of people signed a petition in support of Dr. Head, the university agreed to a settlement with him a few months ago. What started out as a single case of racial discrimination and retaliation against Dr. Head, has now exposed a deeply rooted problem at UCLA that requires a broader solution.

I have no words. My blood is boiling.

midnight_circus

Postby midnight_circus » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:32 pm

Mojosodope wrote:so why do you try to rationalize their decision? just curious.

Personal weakness of mine. I always want people to have good reasons for their actions, and if they're doing something terrible I'd rather ascribe it to thoughtlessness. That way, I can continue to have faith that if they had really thought about what they were doing they wouldn't have done it. I can hope that if the situation is explained--if they are educated--then their behaviors will improve and society will be better. Like Socrates, I desperately want to believe that evil is only born of ignorance.
If people are knowingly and willingly doing terrible things, if they have a comprehensive rationale for their behavior, then there's nothing I or anyone else can do to make it better. That's disheartening.
But I do cling to some shred of realism. I realize that people are often knowingly cruel and terrible--they even think it's fun. Which is why, as much as I may hope they would, I doubt the students will stop wearing the shirts.

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:42 pm

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local ... 63601.html

I'm really not the type of person to look for these types of events, but Jesus, what is going on at UCLA? This is ridiculous.

This was a 50+ year old man. What would they have done to an early 20-something black male?

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:05 pm

californiauser wrote:http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Judge-Says-UCLA-Police-Used-Excessive-Force-During-Traffic-Stop-233263601.html

I'm really not the type of person to look for these types of events, but Jesus, what is going on at UCLA? This is ridiculous.

This was a 50+ year old man. What would they have done to an early 20-something black male?

I can not. Can we just all just not apply there if we haven't already? I would never want to be there after all this.

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:00 am

mandyjay11 wrote:
californiauser wrote:http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Judge-Says-UCLA-Police-Used-Excessive-Force-During-Traffic-Stop-233263601.html

I can not. Can we just all just not apply there if we haven't already? I would never want to be there after all this.

Agreed.

On a lighter note, HAPPY PRE-TURKEY DAY EVERYONE!!! Anyone cooking or baking?? I love me some pumpkin pie and candied yams! Good food makes me so happy. :P :P :P I have no plans to cook and may be heading to my aunt's place for the day.

I hope everyone on the Northeast stay warm and dry. It's going to be pretty brutal for us within the next 24-hours.

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:08 am

Happy pre-thanksgiving !!!! I'm making sweet potato pie and macaroni and cheese. ( I can't eat bad mac n cheese so I always make it so I know it's good lol )

Lol yeah the storm will be crazy but I'm more scared of going to the store. I had to abandon my cart in an isle on Sunday and leave the store because it was so overwhelming and crazy.

NanaP

Postby NanaP » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:37 am

mandyjay11 wrote:

not applying....knew something was fishy about this school.

August Wilson

Postby August Wilson » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:45 am

mandyjay11 wrote:Happy pre-thanksgiving !!!! I'm making sweet potato pie and macaroni and cheese. ( I can't eat bad mac n cheese so I always make it so I know it's good lol )

Lol yeah the storm will be crazy but I'm more scared of going to the store. I had to abandon my cart in an isle on Sunday and leave the store because it was so overwhelming and crazy.

It's not even 11 and now I'm craving mac & cheese. Thank you.

Seriously, thank you. I'm about to go get some mac & cheese :lol: :lol:

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:22 pm

August Wilson wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:Happy pre-thanksgiving !!!! I'm making sweet potato pie and macaroni and cheese. ( I can't eat bad mac n cheese so I always make it so I know it's good lol )

It's so good I would eat it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner with no shame.

MoMettaMonk

Postby MoMettaMonk » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:48 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:
August Wilson wrote:

It's so good I would eat it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner with no shame.

Maybe that was UMs plan all along.

okaygo

Postby okaygo » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:41 pm

Complete at Duke!
10 day wait here we go.

applelover

Postby applelover » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:41 pm

AAJD2B wrote:

Last year, Dr. Christian Head, a former surgeon at UCLA's medical school, filed a complaint describing horrible treatment he received while on staff -- including when a UCLA staff displayed a slideshow image to hundreds of his colleagues. In the image, Dr. Head’s face was superimposed onto the body of a gorilla standing on all-fours being sodomized by his Caucasian supervisor. After thousands of people signed a petition in support of Dr. Head, the university agreed to a settlement with him a few months ago. What started out as a single case of racial discrimination and retaliation against Dr. Head, has now exposed a deeply rooted problem at UCLA that requires a broader solution.

I have no words. My blood is boiling.

SMH

applelover

Postby applelover » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:42 pm

okaygo wrote:Complete at Duke!
10 day wait here we go.

Yay! Good luck!

midnight_circus

Postby midnight_circus » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:25 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:It's so good I would eat it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner with no shame.

AGREED. :D

blkstl

Postby blkstl » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:26 pm

okaygo wrote:Complete at Duke!
10 day wait here we go.

3 days deep for me. I'm cautiously optimistic about getting my first order of good news or bad news next week.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”