URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
mandyjay11

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby mandyjay11 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:50 am

okaygo wrote:Seriously losing my cool over these apps

I'm still not complete at Duke, Cornell and USC. I know they're waiting on my deans letter but I just wish it wasn't taking so long, it's getting annoying.

Complete at GW & Georgetown.

'Under review' at NYU & W&M

Can you tell me what the Dean's letter is? Like who has to sign that ?

okaygo

Postby okaygo » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:52 am

It's for if you checked yes on one of the C&F questions. I had to get some records sent from our office of student conduct.

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:56 am

okaygo wrote:It's for if you checked yes on one of the C&F questions. I had to get some records sent from our office of student conduct.

Ahh I see .... man this app process is no joke.

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:01 am

Did anyone get to see the Best Man's Holiday?? Please let's discuss! I finally got around to seeing it this weekend. I totally did cry. Morris played the hell out of that scene at the end. I was done after seeing that.

Also I love seeing black love on film. Mia and Lance's love was genuine and I totally connected with that. They love typecasting black men as unfaithful, oversexed hornballs. It was great to see something different.

Oh and I lovvveeddd Nia Long. Her layered bobbed hair cut is the truth. I may just consider going back to relaxer to rep that style.

applelover

Postby applelover » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:03 am

AAJD2B wrote:Did anyone get to see the Best Man's Holiday?? Please let's discuss! I finally got around to seeing it this weekend. I totally did cry. Morris played the hell out of that scene at the end. I was done after seeing that.

Also I love seeing black love on film. Mia and Lance's love was genuine and I totally connected with that. They love typecasting black men as unfaithful, oversexed hornballs. It was great to see something different.

Oh and I lovvveeddd Nia Long. Her layered bobbed hair cut is the truth. I may just consider going back to relaxer to rep that style.

No I haven't seen it yet. Please don't spoil it by having a discussion ITT!!!

okaygo

Postby okaygo » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:05 am

applelover wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:Did anyone get to see the Best Man's Holiday?? Please let's discuss! I finally got around to seeing it this weekend. I totally did cry. Morris played the hell out of that scene at the end. I was done after seeing that.

Have to agree with apple on this one. I'm waiting until the holidays to see it.

applelover

Postby applelover » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:09 am

okaygo wrote:
applelover wrote:

+1

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:10 am

okaygo wrote:
applelover wrote:

Yes I haven't seen it yet! Let's all see it soon so we can discuss. But we can discus this man Taye Diggs...http://bossip.com/871403/rumor-control-taye-diggs-denies-saying-being-around-black-women-made-me-miss-my-white-wife/

okaygo

Postby okaygo » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:15 am

Hmmmm honestly I don't think I find a fault in what Taye said. I am less submissive and harder to deal with than other women. I really don't look at this as a flaw though, so that might be where he and I differ.
Last edited by okaygo on Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

EvMont

Postby EvMont » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:17 am

mandyjay11 wrote:
okaygo wrote:
applelover wrote:

Yes I haven't seen it yet! Let's all see it soon so we can discuss. But we can discus this man Taye Diggs...http://bossip.com/871403/rumor-control-taye-diggs-denies-saying-being-around-black-women-made-me-miss-my-white-wife/

+1 on waiting and discussing.

I love Taye. So, I'm a little afraid to read this article.

applelover

Postby applelover » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:20 am

okaygo wrote:Hmmmm honestly I don't think I find a fault in what Taye said. I am less submissive and harder to deal with than other women. I really don't like at this as a flaw though, so that might be where he and I differ.

He didn't say that though. This satirical site made a fake article, as a lot of them do, pretending that Taye diggs was being interviewed and made those remarks. It sucks that it's gone viral and everyone's lashing out on him for a fake interview. What's more shocking is that no one read the site's disclaimer about being satirical.

okaygo

Postby okaygo » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:24 am

applelover wrote:
okaygo wrote:Hmmmm honestly I don't think I find a fault in what Taye said. I am less submissive and harder to deal with than other women. I really don't like at this as a flaw though, so that might be where he and I differ.

He didn't say that though. This satirical site made a fake article, as a lot of them do, pretending that Taye diggs was being interviewed and made those remarks. It sucks that it's gone viral and everyone's lashing out on him for a fake interview. What's more shocking is that no one read the site's disclaimer about being satirical.

Ohhhhhh ok.
But it honestly doesn't surprise me that people took a joke and ran with it. That's the nature of our generation.

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:40 am

okaygo wrote:
applelover wrote:

Ohhhhhh ok.
But it honestly doesn't surprise me that people took a joke and ran with it. That's the nature of our generation.

Yeah, weird. Plus who cares what Taye wants in a woman, if he can't handle a bigger personality then he shouldn't have to.

toshiroh

Postby toshiroh » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:41 am

Haven't seen that, but I did finally see 12 years a slave. Aside from the climax being done too quickly, I thought the film was done well.

applelover

Postby applelover » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:46 am

AAJD2B wrote:
Mojosodope wrote:
applelover wrote:In the 2013-14 Waiting thread...
scoobers wrote:BUMPING THIS because i just saw the urm app thread and am jealous of their comradery.

words we will be voting on:
skimble
effluvience
bilted
twinity

once there is a winner i'll take definition suggestions.

:D

so they are spying on us?

white man always tryin to keep us down :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Haha

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:47 am

toshiroh wrote:Haven't seen that, but I did finally see 12 years a slave. Aside from the climax being done too quickly, I thought the film was done well.

Still havent see that :(

Brettanomyces

Postby Brettanomyces » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:48 am

mandyjay11 wrote:
toshiroh wrote:Haven't seen that, but I did finally see 12 years a slave. Aside from the climax being done too quickly, I thought the film was done well.

You must. It's really good!

August Wilson

Postby August Wilson » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:59 am

cried through the whole thing. I am not ashamed.

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:02 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:
okaygo wrote:
applelover wrote:

Taye is another kneegro who thinks marrying white is marrying UP, but who is really checking for a man known for cheating on his wife?

Boy, BYE!

EvMont

Postby EvMont » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:44 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:

I really want to see this, but I'm haven't been able to get myself in the right frame of mind for it. I need to be prepared for the emotional turmoil I'm about to but myself through. This is the same reason it took me weeks to see Fruitvale Station.

Yaaaas2013

Postby Yaaaas2013 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:05 pm

Nia's hair was on point. I'm definitely considering a relaxer for law school just for the sole purposes of avoiding any stress associated with styling my natural hair for professional events.

On another note, can people start listing their softs? I'm interested in seeing if schools are judging the caliber of softs differently. Im not sure if that makes any sense. But I had a friend get into Columbia last year with a 3.4 and 158. His only soft was an internship...Overall, his application wasnt stellar enough in my opinion to warrant a Columbia acceptance

Yaaaas2013

Postby Yaaaas2013 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:06 pm

okaygo wrote:It's for if you checked yes on one of the C&F questions. I had to get some records sent from our office of student conduct.

Which C&F question? I know Stanford requires a Dean's Letter and possibly Columbia after your acceptance.

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:26 pm

Yaaaas2013 wrote:

Nia's hair was on point. I'm definitely considering a relaxer for law school just for the sole purposes of avoiding any stress associated with styling my natural hair for professional events.

On another note, can people start listing their softs? I'm interested in seeing if schools are judging the caliber of softs differently. Im not sure if that makes any sense. But I had a friend get into Columbia last year with a 3.4 and 158. His only soft was an internship...Overall, his application wasnt stellar enough in my opinion to warrant a Columbia acceptance

+1. My natural hair is getting super long and unmanageable. I really love the versatility but know that even as a natural it will require high maintenance. I can't just wash and go, especially in the winter. Have you considered wearing a half wig or sewn-in weave ?

My softs: Edited.
Last edited by AAJD2B on Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr.Zer0

Postby Dr.Zer0 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:26 pm

[redacted]
Last edited by Dr.Zer0 on Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:31 pm

My softs: I dance like this

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”