URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
mac2013

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby mac2013 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:31 am

Liberty calls me nonstop. On the other hand, every time I get a Harvard email I am so excited and then its not a JS1 :(

Also did anyone get contacted about being in a special Northwestern Black recruitment initiative?

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:50 am

are you guys allowed to talk about the interviews? I interested in knowing how you prepared and what kinds of questions they asked you.

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:06 pm

I really dislike Stephen A. Smith.

okaygo

Postby okaygo » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:03 pm

So today I had an interview at the DOJ and I just kinda wandered around after looking for the nearest metro station and I ran into GULC which definitely made my day since you all know how much I loveeee DC. The buildings were all very nice, lots of homeless people around though.

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:04 pm

okaygo wrote:So today I had an interview at the DOJ and I just kinda wandered around after looking for the nearest metro station and I ran into GULC which definitely made my day since you all know how much I loveeee DC. The buildings were all very nice, lots of homeless people around though.

Did you find out how to submit that essay?

twenty

Postby twenty » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:12 pm

okaygo wrote:So today I had an interview at the DOJ and I just kinda wandered around after looking for the nearest metro station and I ran into GULC which definitely made my day since you all know how much I loveeee DC. The buildings were all very nice, lots of homeless people around though.

The building right next to the student center is a homeless shelter. If that makes you nervous, cross the street at Mass.

EvMont

Postby EvMont » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:12 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:

Lolz. MandyJay gettin' right down to business.

applelover

Postby applelover » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:14 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:

The building right next to the student center is a homeless shelter. If that makes you nervous, cross the street at Mass.

Yea. That's why I carefully choose my walking route in the city all the time.

okaygo

Postby okaygo » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:16 pm

EvMont wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:

Haha, right! But no I didn't. I'm going to try and figure that out today. I'll probably just ask somewhere else on TCS. But the homeless shelter would explain it. Homeless people don't make me nervous or anything though.

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:16 pm

EvMont wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:

aww i know lol sorry OK...

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:21 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:are you guys allowed to talk about the interviews? I interested in knowing how you prepared and what kinds of questions they asked you.

My Vandy interview was extremely casual. We met at my interviewer's office cafeteria. We spoke about opportunities offered at Vandy, why I wanted to attend Vandy and my future career goals. My interviewer also ran through my resume and asked questions. I asked about 4 or 5 questions of my own too. We also spoke about things unrelated to admissions, like family/kids/ great places to live, my home country, etc. It was so chill!

For NU, it was an hour interview and more intense with specific questions of my work experience and life experiences. Interestingly enough, we both know several people in common so that helped. It truly is a small world! I was a bit more nervous though and I think it showed as it was in my interviewer's large corner office and he is a partner. We also spoke about sports, lol. Overall I tried to convey not only my interest in attending NU but also my desire to give back. He also highlighted some of my leadership roles and seemed impressed.

In both interviews we laughed. I think it's key to just be human throughout an interview, be it for law school or employment.

I hope you get to interview too!

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:27 pm

AAJD2B wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:are you guys allowed to talk about the interviews? I interested in knowing how you prepared and what kinds of questions they asked you.

My Vandy interview was extremely casual. We met at my interviewer's office cafeteria. We spoke about opportunities offered at Vandy, why I wanted to attend Vandy and my future career goals. My interviewer also ran through my resume and asked questions. I asked about 4 or 5 questions of my own too. We also spoke about things unrelated to admissions, like family/kids/ great places to live, my home country, etc. It was so chill!

For NU, it was an hour interview and more intense with specific questions of my work experience and life experiences. Interestingly enough, we both know several people in common so that helped. It truly is a small world! I was a bit more nervous though and I think it showed as it was in my interviewer's large corner office and he is a partner. We also spoke about sports, lol. Overall I tried to convey not only my interest in attending NU but also my desire to give back. He also highlighted some of my leadership roles and seemed impressed.

In both interviews we laughed. I think it's key to just be human throughout an interview, be it for law school or employment.

I hope you get to interview too!

Oh ok... it doesnt seem too bad! Thankssss

Quan292

Postby Quan292 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:31 pm

Mojosodope wrote:I really dislike Stephen A. Smith.

What Whyy?? Yea he is over dramatic and says some outrageous things to get a rise out of people some times but dude still has his merits.

Is this about the N-word talk they had on first take earlier today?

Quan292

Postby Quan292 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:39 pm

My interview with NU was on Wednesday and it was pretty laid back as other posters had pointed out. Lasted a couple minutes short of an hour. My guy was real laid back and asked about my resume/ why law, NU, all of those type of q's. His office was small and it was at 6 after the entire office was pretty much gone for the day. I'm not sure I did well but he was really cool overall and answered a lot of my questions.

Futuregohan14

Postby Futuregohan14 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:14 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:
teampeeta wrote:
EvMont wrote:
This is my motivation. http://lawschoolnumbers.com/esperance

I saw this and felt motivated too. If only we should all be so fortunate. Goodness knows I could do with HYS acceptances this year.

Esperance's cycle is deceiving. His or her numbers are obviously good and their URM'ness undoubtedly provided an admissions bump. But apart from this, the key part of her application is the HYPS undergrad she attended. The T-14 soil themselves over URM's who attended elite undergrads and have good numbers. He or she having attended an elite undergrad is one of the primary reasons they were admitted.

Yeah I think this is right. My understanding was that AAs had an advantage coming from the following kinds of schools:

1. Any Ivy
2. A handful of non-Ivy elites (Stanford, Chicago, Duke, MIT, Northwestern and probably a few of the NESCAC "Little Ivies" like Amherst, Williams, Middlebury, etc)

My theory: Admins are good with providing the URM boost and are anxious to get qualified AAs whenever they can,but are also anxious for more affirmation of their ability to adapt to a law school environment. An AA with good numbers (GPA + LSAT) from an elite undergrad has already proven the ability to survive in a highly competitive/selective academic environment, so it makes the adcoms a bit more comfortable that they can make the transition.

very adaptation
many caution
so security
much insurance
wow

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:37 pm

Futuregohan14 wrote:1. Any Ivy
2. A handful of non-Ivy elites (Stanford, Chicago, Duke, MIT, Northwestern and probably a few of the NESCAC "Little Ivies" like Amherst, Williams, Middlebury, etc)

:|

What is a "Little Ivy?" Do people actually use these terms in real life or only on TLS?

MoMettaMonk

Postby MoMettaMonk » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:39 pm

californiauser wrote:

What is a "Little Ivy?" Do people actually use these terms in real life or only on TLS?

I'm coming up with a new catchall acronym to stop all of this public-Ivy, Little Ivy, whatever bs.

From now on just say "HEI," a Historically Elite Institution.

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:44 pm

Quan292 wrote:

My interview with NU was on Wednesday and it was pretty laid back as other posters had pointed out. Lasted a couple minutes short of an hour. My guy was real laid back and asked about my resume/ why law, NU, all of those type of q's. His office was small and it was at 6 after the entire office was pretty much gone for the day. I'm not sure I did well but he was really cool overall and answered a lot of my questions.

Ok I see. I was hoping it wasn't like a situation where they were trying to trip us up so we mess up and they can write a bad report about us.

Futuregohan14

Postby Futuregohan14 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:03 pm

californiauser wrote:

No, its a pretty widespread term.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Ivies

The term is usually applied to the NESCAC schools, a bunch of very old, very small, academically elite schools in the Northeast (all in New England except for 1). They aren't as selective as Ivies but some of them have academic profiles/statistics (SAT scores, GPAs, etc) that are very similar to Ivies. They also still tend to look a lot like the Ivies did about 60 years ago: not very diverse, extremely WASPy, very socioeconomically elite student body, extremely preppy.

This is why they're called "Little Ivies". They're actually pretty good schools from a strictly academic standpoint, hence the existence of the "boost" I mentioned above for their students.

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:22 pm

Futuregohan14 wrote:
californiauser wrote:

No, its a pretty widespread term.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Ivies

The term is usually applied to the NESCAC schools, a bunch of very old, very small, academically elite schools in the Northeast (all in New England except for 1). They aren't as selective as Ivies but some of them have academic profiles/statistics (SAT scores, GPAs, etc) that are very similar to Ivies. They also still tend to look a lot like the Ivies did about 60 years ago: not very diverse, extremely WASPy, very socioeconomically elite student body, extremely preppy.

This is why they're called "Little Ivies". They're actually pretty good schools from a strictly academic standpoint, hence the existence of the "boost" I mentioned above for their students.

The Ivy League is a sporting league conference. Going to Vassar or Connecticut College will not give your application a boost.
Last edited by californiauser on Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:25 pm

Prestige-starved school bundling makes me want to skin live kittens.

Eta: I think I hate futuregohan. I don't want to, but I really do.

Futuregohan14

Postby Futuregohan14 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:11 pm

californiauser wrote:

The Ivy League is a sporting league conference. Going to Vassar or Connecticut College will not give your application a boost.

No, but going to Middlebury, Williams or Amherst might.

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:Prestige-starved school bundling makes me want to skin live kittens.

Eta: I think I hate futuregohan. I don't want to, but I really do.

The feeling is mutual.

kenwash

Postby kenwash » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:56 pm

Has anyone done / plan to do the Georgetown supplementary essays? Just when I think I'm ready to submit, these extra essays pop up. Their website says it doesn't reflect negatively if you choose not to write the essays, but I'm thinking that can't be entirely true..

okaygo

Postby okaygo » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:02 pm

kenwash wrote:Has anyone done / plan to do the Georgetown supplementary essays? Just when I think I'm ready to submit, these extra essays pop up. Their website says it doesn't reflect negatively if you choose not to write the essays, but I'm thinking that can't be entirely true..

I did. Do it. Better to have and not need it, than to need and not have.

applelover

Postby applelover » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:12 pm

kenwash wrote:Has anyone done / plan to do the Georgetown supplementary essays? Just when I think I'm ready to submit, these extra essays pop up. Their website says it doesn't reflect negatively if you choose not to write the essays, but I'm thinking that can't be entirely true..

I got in without doing the essays. I made sure to send them a DS though.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”