URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
AAJD2B

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby AAJD2B » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:10 pm

toshiroh wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:On the real they say law school is an equal opportunist but I beg to differ. From applying, to finding monies to prep for an exam that determines most everything, this process dissuades many who come from humble beginnings. Heck, I work but gotta space out sending apps too because I help support my mother. It's stories like these we must bring forth to the application. It brings forth context that not every one of us were born with gold spoons in our mouths...that it took a lot of sacrifices to even get to this point of applying.

Everyone who can relate, keep your head up. You've already come so far.

Tell me about it. I've had to sacrifice so much to prep for this test alone, on top of supporting my Fam back home, which a lot of times makes me second guess Law School.

Naw, don't, because you're about to literally turn the page for your future generation. Lots to look forward too, you know? Just get that test done with, the rest will follow. Besides, we got your back here!

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:23 pm

AAJD2B wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:On the real they say law school is an equal opportunist but I beg to differ. From applying, to finding monies to prep for an exam that determines most everything, this process dissuades many who come from humble beginnings. Heck, I work but gotta space out sending apps too because I help support my mother. It's stories like these we must bring forth to the application. It brings forth context that not every one of us were born with gold spoons in our mouths...that it took a lot of sacrifices to even get to this point of applying.

you definitely said it! It's funny that they even have one section of an some school's application that said "parental contribution" I laughed, like my parents could even afford a seat deposit for these schools let alone be relied on for contributions to my tuition.

Girl, yes. Presumptive much? Oh and I like the "please list previous family members who attended our law school". Say what now? Most of my family didn't even complete high school, let alone law school :roll: :roll:.

I'm getting mad just thinking about this.

It's really amazing to me! Also, these people who afford to pay for these Law School application services like $1200 for Personal Statement review and stuff. Like, talk about making legal education accessible.

EstebanMFernandez

Postby EstebanMFernandez » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:13 pm

Finally got a fee waiver that I want from upenn.

Masta Ace
Last edited by EstebanMFernandez on Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quan292

Postby Quan292 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:12 pm

Im surprised/ excited to hear there will be other 0ls that help support their families while working. You don't hear it often but it really does build your character. It still sucks having a finished app but not applying because you need to save up. And thats with Fee Waivers!

Brettanomyces

Postby Brettanomyces » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:16 pm

EstebanMFernandez wrote:Finally got a fee waiver that I want from upenn.

It is pretty expensive for all this shiz. I worked ft during undergrad and invested a bit so I had like 7k in liquid assets(mostly cash) after paying for all this I'm at like
3k where did it all goooo..

Did you get that sweet packet?

Well-made booklet.

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:28 pm

Brettanomyces wrote:

It is pretty expensive for all this shiz. I worked ft during undergrad and invested a bit so I had like 7k in liquid assets(mostly cash) after paying for all this I'm at like

Well-made booklet.

booklet was really awesome... some people in other threads werent so fond of it. I thought it was amazing.

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:00 am

mandyjay11 wrote:
Brettanomyces wrote:

Well-made booklet.

booklet was really awesome... some people in other threads werent so fond of it. I thought it was amazing.

Me no get booklet.
Me sad.

EstebanMFernandez

Postby EstebanMFernandez » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:18 am

I totally forgot about the Doge meme. That's where this FutureGohan is getting his wow thing. So un internet meme of me

EstebanMFernandez

Postby EstebanMFernandez » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:18 am

I totally forgot about the Doge meme. That's where this FutureGohan is getting his wow thing. So un internet meme of me

MoMettaMonk

Postby MoMettaMonk » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:37 am

EstebanMFernandez wrote:I totally forgot about the Doge meme. That's where this FutureGohan is getting his wow thing. So un internet meme of me

I just looked that up on knowyourmeme and for the first time in my life I feel old.

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:06 am

Mojosodope wrote:Me no get booklet.
Me sad.

lol I'll mail you mine

Brettanomyces

Postby Brettanomyces » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:22 am

mandyjay11 wrote:
Me sad.

lol I'll mail you mine

I am a little pissed off that it looks beat up. The corners are a bit frayed. What, did they send me an old one?

Anyway, it's an awesome booklet. :)

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:36 am

Brettanomyces wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:
Me sad.

lol I'll mail you mine

I am a little pissed off that it looks beat up. The corners are a bit frayed. What, did they send me an old one?

LOL they sent you a recycled bookkkkk that is hilarious! I know they are really into going green sooo....

applelover

Postby applelover » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:10 am

mandyjay11 wrote:
Brettanomyces wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:
Me sad.

lol I'll mail you mine

LOL they sent you a recycled bookkkkk that is hilarious! I know they are really into going green sooo....

ha!

EvMont

Postby EvMont » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:36 am

Hey everyone!

I got an email from Columbia about a webinar they're hosting today at 3pm about clinics/ "experiential learning" at CLS. I figured I'd share it here it case anyone who didn't get the email is interested in attending.

Here's the text from the email:

"Thank you for your interest in Columbia Law School. We hope that “My Columbia Law” has helped you explore and learn more about the Law School.

We realize that a major draw for prospective students is the experiential learning opportunities afforded to students. In webinar format, Clinical Professor of Law and Director of the Mediation Clinic, Alexandra Carter, will host a discussion and Q&A session primarily focused on the clinical experience at Columbia Law School.

The webinar can be viewed live on Tuesday, November 19, at 3:00 p.m. EST at: [url]web.law.columbia.edu/admissions/jd/webinar-clinics[/url].

Registration is not required. While you will have the opportunity to submit questions real-time on the webinar page, you may submit questions prior to the event at: [url]web.law.columbia.edu/admissions/jd/webinar/questions[/url].

"

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:31 pm

EvMont wrote:Hey everyone!

I got an email from Columbia about a webinar they're hosting today at 3pm about clinics/ "experiential learning" at CLS. I figured I'd share it here it case anyone who didn't get the email is interested in attending.

"Thank you for your interest in Columbia Law School. We hope that “My Columbia Law” has helped you explore and learn more about the Law School.

We realize that a major draw for prospective students is the experiential learning opportunities afforded to students. In webinar format, Clinical Professor of Law and Director of the Mediation Clinic, Alexandra Carter, will host a discussion and Q&A session primarily focused on the clinical experience at Columbia Law School.

The webinar can be viewed live on Tuesday, November 19, at 3:00 p.m. EST at: [url]web.law.columbia.edu/admissions/jd/webinar-clinics[/url].

Registration is not required. While you will have the opportunity to submit questions real-time on the webinar page, you may submit questions prior to the event at: [url]web.law.columbia.edu/admissions/jd/webinar/questions[/url].

"

Thanks, Ev!

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:08 pm

EvMont wrote:Hey everyone!

"

Who has time to watch a webinar in the middle of the day? :x

toshiroh

Postby toshiroh » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:24 pm

I'm much calmer this time around, probably because I know if I perform to my abilities, I should get above my goal score. I still need to stop getting so caught up on one question. If I feel like I messed up on one question, that question will stay in my head for the whole test... running the stimulus in my head over and over and over again.

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:34 pm

So 4 more apps were sent out today which included mac n' cheese lovin'-watermelon slaughtering-fried chicken serving Michigan. I figure if they accept me with $$$ I can use for bargaining chip purposes.

Is anyone applying to Berkeley without a fee waiver?

applelover

Postby applelover » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:35 pm

AAJD2B wrote:So 4 more apps were sent out today which included mac n' cheese lovin'-watermelon slaughtering-fried chicken serving Michigan. I figure if they accept me with $$$ I can use for bargaining chip purposes.

I did last week.

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:57 pm

applelover wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:So 4 more apps were sent out today which included mac n' cheese lovin'-watermelon slaughtering-fried chicken serving Michigan. I figure if they accept me with $$$ I can use for bargaining chip purposes.

I did last week.

BALLINNNN

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:58 pm

How many optional essays did you do for Michigan?

applelover

Postby applelover » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:59 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:
applelover wrote:

I did last week.

BALLINNNN

I always loved Boalt as a child. Plus I got a fee waiver for every other school I applied to besides H and S.

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:05 pm

applelover wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:
applelover wrote:

I did last week.

BALLINNNN

I always loved Boalt as a child. Plus I got a fee waiver for every other school I applied to besides H and S.

Geesh I just looked at their numbers... I won't waste my little pennies applying there

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:25 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:

How many optional essays did you do for Michigan?

Two, including a why Mich.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”