URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Dr.Zer0

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby Dr.Zer0 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:08 am

[redacted]
Last edited by Dr.Zer0 on Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

applelover

Postby applelover » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:11 am

Dr.Zer0 wrote:
applelover wrote:
Dr.Zer0 wrote:
applelover wrote:Maybe I should have retaken. :?: Wait nope, I have three finals the week before the test.

Terminates tu ensayo?

No I need three more pages. Im probably not going to bed.

Lo siento, pero toma consuelo en saber que en tres meses vas a estar completamente libre.
Or maybe this senioritis Drake gif can help.

Gracias mi mexicano favorito. I'm done now basically. I think I'm going to sleep until 6 and then wake up and do some serious editing.

Futuregohan14

Postby Futuregohan14 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:21 am

applelover wrote:
Gracias mi mexicano favorito. I'm done now basically. I think I'm going to sleep until 6 and then wake up and do some serious editing.

wow
so struggle
much serious student
very dedicate
more work tomorrow
many determination
such devote
ganbatte!
wow

El Principe

Postby El Principe » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:36 am

Feeling kinda depressed about this upcoming LSAT, but I'm gonna hit 5 practice tests in a row this week, and see where I'm at. I don't wanna cancel, but I definitely don't want to score worse than I did last time, because school & other aspects of these apps are proving to be more time consuming than I originally expected... given up trying to focus on Logic games... those are my achilles heel. I think I'm better off focusing on gettin -0 on LR & RC because I'm much better @ those, but I just choked.

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:34 am

El Principe wrote:Feeling kinda depressed about this upcoming LSAT, but I'm gonna hit 5 practice tests in a row this week, and see where I'm at. I don't wanna cancel, but I definitely don't want to score worse than I did last time, because school & other aspects of these apps are proving to be more time consuming than I originally expected... given up trying to focus on Logic games... those are my achilles heel. I think I'm better off focusing on gettin -0 on LR & RC because I'm much better @ those, but I just choked.

Don't be depressed... this is just how the LSAT works, it sucks every bit of life and hope out of you, but maybe think about taking a day off and literally not thinking, talking about, or looking at anything to do with the LSAT. That really helped recharge me.

Also, I too underestimated the time it takes to do the apps. Once you have your PS and DS ready, though, everything else is a cake walk. Once you do one "Why X" you can just edit it for each school.

You got this!!

applelover

Postby applelover » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:49 am

I'm still awake and I have to be up in 4 hours. I've literally been doing nothing for two hours.

applelover

Postby applelover » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:53 am

mandyjay11 wrote:
El Principe wrote:Feeling kinda depressed about this upcoming LSAT, but I'm gonna hit 5 practice tests in a row this week, and see where I'm at. I don't wanna cancel, but I definitely don't want to score worse than I did last time, because school & other aspects of these apps are proving to be more time consuming than I originally expected... given up trying to focus on Logic games... those are my achilles heel. I think I'm better off focusing on gettin -0 on LR & RC because I'm much better @ those, but I just choked.

Don't be depressed... this is just how the LSAT works, it sucks every bit of life and hope out of you, but maybe think about taking a day off and literally not thinking, talking about, or looking at anything to do with the LSAT. That really helped recharge me.

Also, I too underestimated the time it takes to do the apps. Once you have your PS and DS ready, though, everything else is a cake walk. Once you do one "Why X" you can just edit it for each school.

You got this!!

You still have time to improve on logic games! There are a lot of resources on this site to help you with them, so don't give up hope yet. Like Mandy said relax. Spend tomorrow doing everything, but the LSAT.

Yaaaas2013

Postby Yaaaas2013 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:39 am

Im getting really nervous. Studying for the lsat is so fatiguing. I'm currently PT-ing between 165-168. This is major upgrade from the last time I sat down for the test (i did poorly the first time, due to being ill during the exam). I'm not sure if I should just take the test in December or take it in February and just apply next fall. Maybe my LSAT fatigue will subside...Anyone else having similar feelings?

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:44 am

Yaaaas2013 wrote:Im getting really nervous. Studying for the lsat is so fatiguing. I'm currently PT-ing between 165-168. This is major upgrade from the last time I sat down for the test (i did poorly the first time, due to being ill during the exam). I'm not sure if I should just take the test in December or take it in February and just apply next fall. Maybe my LSAT fatigue will subside...Anyone else having similar feelings?

You're burning out. Take a couple of days off. At this point it should solely be about taking full 5-section PTs at least once a week and reviewing thoroughly. No need to overextend yourself with just over two weeks left. Also, why push back? Do you fear you won't do as well? Only push back if you aren't PTing in a range you're satisfied with.

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:57 am

Depression and lack of confidence has no place when taking this exam. Put that negativity to the side and focus on your strengths. As for logic games, is it a timing issue? Anxiety? Try and nail the first two games, as they are generally less complicated. If need be, choose one of the two last games to focus on for the kill, even if it takes you 20 minutes.

Remember all the questions are worth one point. You can have a strong LR, RC and 3/4 solid LG and still score very well. Keep this in mind.

What type of games trip you up?

Brettanomyces

Postby Brettanomyces » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:01 am

Still waiting on my LORs. I'm going to finish up my PS today (DS is done). I really want my apps to be done by the end of the month. What are you guys up to?

Also, have a good week, friends!

EvMont

Postby EvMont » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:09 am

Brettanomyces wrote:Still waiting on my LORs. I'm going to finish up my PS today (DS is done). I really want my apps to be done by the end of the month. What are you guys up to?

I'm still plugging away at my PS. Fingers crossed I'll be done with it by the end of this week. It's the last big piece of the application I have to do. Also aiming to have my apps done by the end of the month, but It might just end up being a few days into December.

okaygo

Postby okaygo » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:14 pm

So, I finally checked and I didn't get the hidden fee waiver for Columbia. I finished the application though. Is it worth it to pay the $85 at Columbia?

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:17 pm

okaygo wrote:So, I finally checked and I didn't get the hidden fee waiver for Columbia. I finished the application though. Is it worth it to pay the $85 at Columbia?

I'm debating this same thing with Columbia and Vandy.

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:19 pm

EvMont wrote:
Brettanomyces wrote:Still waiting on my LORs. I'm going to finish up my PS today (DS is done). I really want my apps to be done by the end of the month. What are you guys up to?

I'm still plugging away at my PS. Fingers crossed I'll be done with it by the end of this week. It's the last big piece of the application I have to do. Also aiming to have my apps done by the end of the month, but It might just end up being a few days into December.

I was hoping for a thanksgiving deadline but in going through these apps, some of them want little essays that I wasn't aware of ( USC wants a financially disadvantaged essay and Cornell wants these short blurb things) so I'm probably in the first few days of December boat.

Dr.Zer0

Postby Dr.Zer0 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:21 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:
okaygo wrote:So, I finally checked and I didn't get the hidden fee waiver for Columbia. I finished the application though. Is it worth it to pay the $85 at Columbia?

Have you tried soliciting fee waivers?

Brettanomyces

Postby Brettanomyces » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:24 pm

Dr.Zer0 wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:

Yeah, try that.

Every local law school applicant I know has gotten a Columbia fee waiver either by e-mail, or by asking for one.
Last edited by Brettanomyces on Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

okaygo

Postby okaygo » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:24 pm

Dr.Zer0 wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:

Not from Columbia, but I suppose it's worth a try.

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:06 pm

okaygo wrote:
Dr.Zer0 wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:

Not from Columbia, but I suppose it's worth a try.

Yeah maybe I will try, too.....

toshiroh

Postby toshiroh » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:07 pm

You sure you're not burning yourself out? I saw my biggest score jump when I basically just chilled for a week and did light review. Also, doing 5 PTs in a row seems like it would be counter productive in the long run.

Dr.Zer0

Postby Dr.Zer0 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:15 pm

okaygo wrote: Not from Columbia, but I suppose it's worth a try.

mandyjay11 wrote: Yeah maybe I will try, too.....

Please do! A single email can potentially save you $75+ and virtually zero repercussions.

teampeeta

Postby teampeeta » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:22 pm

Dr.Zer0 wrote:

Please do! A single email can potentially save you $75+ and virtually zero repercussions.

I think CCN are pretty stingy with fee waivers if you don't automatically get the LSAC email. I tried to solicit and got generic responses back thanking me for my request and informing me that I would be contacted via email should I apply for a merit-based waiver.

This applying to law school thing is going to be unnecessarily expensive.

Dr.Zer0

Postby Dr.Zer0 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:59 pm

teampeeta wrote:
Dr.Zer0 wrote:

I think CCN are pretty stingy with fee waivers if you don't automatically get the LSAC email. I tried to solicit and got generic responses back thanking me for my request and informing me that I would be contacted via email should I apply for a merit-based waiver.

This applying to law school thing is going to be unnecessarily expensive.

Thats weird, I thought Columbia wasn't stingy with fee waivers. I wonder how schools decide who to send/grant fee waivers to sometimes. http://insidethelawschoolscam.blogspot. ... lemen.html

okaygo

Postby okaygo » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:09 pm

Ugh. I wish the report fee was still $16.

Quan292

Postby Quan292 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:14 pm

okaygo wrote:Ugh. I wish the report fee was still $16.

I feel your pain. this $25 per app is ridiculous.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”