URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
AAJD2B

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby AAJD2B » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:26 pm

sassybassy wrote:Bare minimum is unacceptable. No shade... But shade.

But let's go back over to the positive side. I for one have finished my PS, LORs, and my apps. Thanks to the advice on TLS I even wrote my DS - though I don't think it's the conventional DS based on the samples in the DS thread.

I am now only left to stare helplessly at a calendar and fret over my October LSAT scores. Sigh.

You and I both. I've been trying to keep myself occupied during this painful wait with school visits. I also have the LSAC forum to attend this week.

How about your why statements? Are you writing any of those?

applelover

Postby applelover » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:36 pm

But let's go back over to the positive side. I for one have finished my PS, LORs, and my apps. Thanks to the advice on TLS I even wrote my DS - though I don't think it's the conventional DS based on the samples in the DS thread.

I am now only left to stare helplessly at a calendar and fret over my October LSAT scores. Sigh.

My DS is nothing like the samples either, but it does its purpose which is all that really matters.

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:37 pm

AAJD2B wrote:

You and I both. I've been trying to keep myself occupied during this painful wait with school visits. I also have the LSAC forum to attend this week.

I have written one for Penn UVA Mich and Duke.

How about you

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:45 pm

applelover wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:You guys, we can't do this. We get enough of this hostility from "others" we don't need it here. I think we should strive to do the best that we can and if someone wants to use race as leverage I can't put them down because people that aren't black use lots of things as leverage (family connections, a prestigious job, legacy).

I don't believe in doing the bare minimum but who knows if that's his/ her bare minimum and who knows if more is necessary to reach their particular goal. Let's just be supportive.

At least we weren't at Walmart racking up $700 worth of stuff knowing we only have 49 cents. That would warrant some shady comments.

:D :D :D

Lol I've never spent that much but I have been that person that's like "oh how much is that? What does it take my total to? Oh nevermind put it back. " when there's a long line of people behind me.

I am always that person. I've learned to hold back the things I know aren't necessities and check my total before letting the cashier ring them up. I find that works better than getting that cashier that can't delete an item and having to void the whole thing but can't find the manager to give them the void card. Yes, this happens often. Lol

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:47 pm

Also, is anyone going to a Penn info session? I'm going October 21.

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:47 pm

Mojosodope wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:

How about you

Stanford, Harvard and Columbia. Still have all four of the above outstanding. Way to go! I was hoping to visit Penn first before I write anything,

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:48 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:Also, is anyone going to a Penn info session? I'm going October 21.

Awwww, I am gonna miss you by 4 days. I am heading there on the 25th. I hope our scores do not come in that Friday... :shock:

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:51 pm

AAJD2B wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:Also, is anyone going to a Penn info session? I'm going October 21.

Awwww, I am gonna miss you by 4 days. I am heading there on the 25th. I hope our scores do not come in that Friday... :shock:

Darn! Well I actually work there so if wanna meet up and say hey just let me know...

I'm hoping we get our numbers on the 28th, I don't want to have too much time to be sad over a whole weekend lol

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:15 am

AAJD2B wrote:
Mojosodope wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:

How about you

Stanford, Harvard and Columbia. Still have all four of the above outstanding. Way to go! I was hoping to visit Penn first before I write anything,

Is there a reason why you wrote them for those schools?

I only wrote mine to combat YP

Futuregohan14

Postby Futuregohan14 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:30 am

Last edited by Futuregohan14 on Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:55 am

Futuregohan14 wrote:
Mojosodope wrote:
That's the difference between you and I, I want to be accepted for merit, and merit alone.

What are you, 10?

You're in the United States of America. There is no meritocracy here. Even at the most elite schools, many (some would say most) students are being admitted to at least some significant degree on the basis of factors that have little to do with their hard test scores or other tangible measures of academic merit. Others are playing off of advantages they never earned that allow them to excel in ways the less privileged cannot. The beneficiaries of all of these subjective evaluations and unearned privilege are usually not black.

You will, in all likelihood, not find yourself among the 1 in 1000 African American test takers who manages a 168 or above (nevermind 170) on the LSAT. You will still shoot for the T-14 with the respectable score you'll probably get and you'll have a shot that will, in large part, come from the fact that AAs with your score are extremely rare and demand outstrips supply. You will take your opportunity (which you will have earned by outdoing 99% of those in your demographic) and make the most of it, just as tens of thousands of legacies and children of wealth do every day (without the need to earn anything at all).

Your comfortable with getting accepted mainly because of your race.

Here we can see one more difference between the two of us. You do not seem to understand the difference between "your" and "you're".

I've seen this mistake in your writing multiple times. Normally, I'd ignore such things because I don't like to play the grammar Nazi. However, you have taken it upon yourself in this thread to be a bit of a cock, so I'm going to go ahead and call you out on it.

You will want to get this little issue of yours corrected well before you try to take on the world of law, where your ability to write (and write well) will be crucial. Since you seem determined not to "limit yourself", I'm sure you'll have no problem striving for this extra bit of improvement whenever you're not "stressing to get over a 170".

I understand that a 162 is 99th percentile for AA, but I don't want to limit my expectations based on my race. An 85th percentile score would simply not be sufficient for me and the standards that I have for myself.

Yes, that's quite nice. The problem, however, is that nobody else really cares about your standards. Some of us are more concerned with reality.

To apply your personal "standards" to everyone else is, at best, highly presumptuous and, at worst, downright ignorant and condescending (especially when said standards don't have any actual basis in the objective reality we deal with).

Plus even if I was comfortable with that score, I would still feel like I was leaving money on the table or I had given up the opportunity to get into H/S. A couple more correct answers and your score is above 165. Hell, even if I scored another 162 at least I would've known I gave it another try.

You would have wasted your time and gained absolutely nothing.

edit...I'm a dick, but you sell yourself short by at least not attempting again.

"Dick" sounds like a bit of an understatement. Naive, self-important, condescending prick sounds more like it.

Don't think I didn't notice your quick edit.

The test is easily learnable,

These are the kind of statements that make me question your intelligence.

Tell me, "Mojosodope". If the test is so easy to learn, why on earth do law schools bother to use it as a standard for identifying the best possible candidates for admission? Why would the legal profession rely on an exam that could easily be learned (and, thus, easily gamed to provide better results not in line with any given applicant's actual capability)?

Why does a test that is so "easily learnable" produce so many scores below 170? If the test is so easy to learn then, surely, re-takers would have no problem regularly producing massive scoring jumps and cracking that high range on the scoring scale. Why do 98% of test-takes fail to crack 170 on an "easily learnable" test, even after multiple re-takes? Why do nearly 99% of black test takers fail to crack 160 on an "easily learnable" test?

Moreover, we live in an age where test-preparation has become a multi-billion dollar industry. Millions are being made by individuals willing to provide strategies for test preparation to the masses. The LSAT itself has been subject to formal attempts to "crack" it for decades, and some of the most brilliant minds in the legal world (many themselves 170+ test-takers) have weighed in on this effort. Billions have been spent in order to acquire, develop and improve strategies for "cracking" the LSAT. Given this reality and the fact that the LSAT is an "easily learnable" test, why isn't everyone getting a 170+? Why are almost 99% of AA test takers failing to break 160? Why are only 1/1000 AAs cracking 170?

Is all of this perhaps because the test is not quite as "easily learnable" as you seem to believe?

Hopefully you have the work ethic to perform well in law school, since you seem to lack the drive to push yourself beyond what is expected of you because of your race.

Let me tell you a bit about myself.

edited by request

So, with all of that laid out, let's talk about "drive" and "pushing oneself", shall we Mojosodope? Let's consider the following few questions in reference to the points I've made above.

Question 1: Do you understand precisely how much "drive" it takes to build one's academic prowess up to the level necessary to gain entry to and start at the Division One level in one of the most physically demanding and punishing sports on the planet? Do you understand the odds of a walk-on succeeding and starting at this level, and the kind of "drive" it takes to beat such odds?

Question 2: Do you understand precisely how much "drive" it takes to do this while simultaneously building an academic pedigree strong enough to warrant entry to one of the most reputable and selective institutions of undergraduate learning in the nation?

Question 3: How much drive do you think it takes to move a dismal he outed himself by the end of my undergraduate career? How hard do you think one has to "push" themselves in order to generate such a massive improvement on their own, especially when one is also maintaining an athletic career for much of that time?

Question 4: We talked about the "expectations" associated with my race, and the notion of pushing beyond them. Tell me, Mojosodope, what are the general academic expectations tied to the AA Male demographic? Do these expectations generally include graduation with honors from an)? Do they include the attainment of an LSAT score (162) that more than 99% of those who even bother taking the test fail to get? Do they even include the obtainment of a high school degree (something that nearly 60% of Black males still fail to obtain to this day)?

Question 5: Given all of the above, why would anyone deny the existence of the "drive" necessary to succeed in a highly challenging academic environment (Law School) simply because of a refusal to re-take an exam that has already been taken twice and, objectively (given admission statistics and the years of preparation/study that indicated the unlikelihood of a significant improvement) did not need to be taken again?

You seem to have all of the answers, so I'll eagerly await your reply.

Wall of text. I'll just make a quick reply to what I did read.

1. I only made a quick edit because of the response I received from a few of the other people, had nothing to do with what I said.
2. I post from my iPhone so I really could care less about grammar mistakes. My grammar on a message board does not reflect my writing ability, nor is this going to be published or critiqued by a professor.
3. You said you would have wasted your time, but you posted previously that you have your application complete and are now just twiddling your thumbs. Seems you have some time to spare.
4. I really could care less what you do. Good luck with your cycle.
5. Your far from the only person applying to overcome adversity, and bragging about overcoming a poor first semester doesn't show true drive or passion.

But like I said, good luck anyway. I hope your cycle is outstanding.
Last edited by Mojosodope on Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

twenty

Postby twenty » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:32 am

Sonbitch. This is the URM cycle thread.

1. The LSAT is completely learnable. People (like myself) don't go up 20+ points from their diagnostics by being extra fucking lucky on test day.

2. The system is inherently unfair to some individuals. No one denies the fact that a Cuban kid raised by a single parent in a Miami ghetto has a far lower chance of going to college than does a black kid whose dad's a neurosurgeon.

3. Both of you need to stop.

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:44 am

twentypercentmore wrote:Sonbitch. This is the URM cycle thread.

1. The LSAT is completely learnable. People (like myself) don't go up 20+ points from their diagnostics by being extra fucking lucky on test day.

2. The system is inherently unfair to some individuals. No one denies the fact that a Cuban kid raised by a single parent in a Miami ghetto has a far lower chance of going to college than does a black kid whose dad's a neurosurgeon.

3. Both of you need to stop.

spoken like a true g

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:19 am

Mojosodope wrote:Is there a reason why you wrote them for those schools?

They are my reaches and I wanted to utilize any additional space to speak on how their individual programs align with my goals.

Like you, I am writing the others for YP.

applelover

Postby applelover » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:25 am

AAJD2B wrote:
Mojosodope wrote:Is there a reason why you wrote them for those schools?

They are my reaches and I wanted to utilize any additional space to speak on how their individual programs align with my goals.

Like you, I am writing the others for YP.

Now I feel like I should have wrote at least one Why essay. At the time I applied I wasn't aware of YP and stuff.

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:28 am

Futuregohan14 wrote:"Dick" sounds like a bit of an understatement. Naive, self-important, condescending prick sounds more like it.

Sir, you have embodied all of the above descriptions with your latter comment which has done nothing to contribute to this thread in a meaningful way.

If you're on your high horse to tear down and personally attack fellow URMs, I kindly suggest that you keep riding your horse all the way out of this thread.

Thank you very much.

sassybassy

Postby sassybassy » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:07 am

No one is tearing someone down by saying that you can do better than a 162 by trying. I would argue that they're doing the opposite. We benefit when less people are complacent with average scores. I've spent the last six month working my butt off to improve a low LSAT score and was scoring between 170 and 175 the last month before the exam. I don't think I did that on the actual exam, but at least I tried.

How important are Why X statements? My top choices don't require one, and I was worried about sounding uninformed if I do write one (as in it'll hurt instead of help.)

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:32 am

sassybassy wrote:No one is tearing someone down by saying that you can do better than a 162 by trying. I would argue that they're doing the opposite. We benefit when less people are complacent with average scores. I've spent the last six month working my butt off to improve a low LSAT score and was scoring between 170 and 175 the last month before the exam. I don't think I did that on the actual exam, but at least I tried.

How important are Why X statements? My top choices don't require one, and I was worried about sounding uninformed if I do write one (as in it'll hurt instead of help.)

My tearing down comment was made in reference to the individual member who has a 162 and not to the individual member who is "saying you can do better than a 162 by trying".

Why statements are not a requirement by any school that I know of, however, the record shows that many of the T14s waitlist students, especially URMs, whose numbers would suggest that they will gain acceptance to at least one of YHS. By writing a "why" statement, an applicant shows interest beyond the standard of what is required of an application. This interest can not only translate into an acceptance but also $$$ to attend.

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:33 am

mandyjay11 wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:

Darn! Well I actually work there so if wanna meet up and say hey just let me know...

I'm hoping we get our numbers on the 28th, I don't want to have too much time to be sad over a whole weekend lol

Yes, I will PM you beforehand. Yay! I can't wait to visit Philly!! :mrgreen:

sassybassy

Postby sassybassy » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:39 am

Ah ha. My bad AAJD2B.

Then I guess I should do Why X statements... Is it shameful that I just got excited to do these? This shall be an interesting challenge and a way to pass the time.

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:48 am

sassybassy wrote:Ah ha. My bad AAJD2B.

Then I guess I should do Why X statements... Is it shameful that I just got excited to do these? This shall be an interesting challenge and a way to pass the time.

Lol, yeah. Is there any upcoming LSAC forum near your city or town?? I think attending would super helpful in getting to know more about those schools and intertwining this into your statement...also making mention of the representative you spoke to. I think this would really stand out and show you are genuinely interested. Just a thought. :)

EvMont

Postby EvMont » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:50 am

I'll be at the Penn info session on the 21st! I chose that day because I really want to be able to visit a class.

applelover

Postby applelover » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:39 am

deleted since no one ever responded
Last edited by applelover on Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:40 am

EvMont wrote:

I'll be at the Penn info session on the 21st! I chose that day because I really want to be able to visit a class.

Me too! I am really excited to sit in a class! Are you bringing a parent? I saw the tours yesterday and LOTS of people brought parents, I'm just bringing myself lol

applelover

Postby applelover » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:45 am

mandyjay11 wrote:
EvMont wrote:

Me too! I am really excited to sit in a class! Are you bringing a parent? I saw the tours yesterday and LOTS of people brought parents, I'm just bringing myself lol

I wanted to go to that one, but I can't make that five hour drive across the state and back in one day for my Tuesday classes.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”