URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Brettanomyces

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby Brettanomyces » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:41 pm

EstebanMFernandez wrote:My Transcripts are finally in and I can begin applying @.@ I am going to start emailing for fee waivers now lol
My GPA rose even higher than I thought haha.

Is anyone else kind of feeling unworthy? I went to a pretty lame UG and had very little hope of T14 until I took the LSAT. I have no idea what im doing lol

Yo.

I have no idea what I'm doing.

EstebanMFernandez

Postby EstebanMFernandez » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:41 pm

I had 13 A+ on my transcript haha

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:41 pm

applelover wrote:I'm going to need some more A+'s to offset these 2 A-s I know I'm going to receive this semester.

Overachiever

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:43 pm

What schools are giving out A+'s ? One of my college friends got one and showed it to a group of friends and you would have thought we all saw a real, live unicorn.

applelover

Postby applelover » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:43 pm

EstebanMFernandez wrote:I had 13 A+ on my transcript haha

Most of my teachers don't give out A+s, so I only have like three. My school weighs A+'s and As the same, so most figure its no point in awarding them. But I have a 98+ in two classes, so I'm going to see if those professors would be willing to award A+s for that. I didn't even know LSAC weighted them differently until I saw my CAS report.

applelover

Postby applelover » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:45 pm

Mojosodope wrote:
applelover wrote:I'm going to need some more A+'s to offset these 2 A-s I know I'm going to receive this semester.

Overachiever

I'm trying to maintain my LSAC GPA in case some schools are on the fence about me at the end of this semester.
Last edited by applelover on Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brettanomyces

Postby Brettanomyces » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:45 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:What schools are giving out A+'s ? One of my college friends got one and showed it to a group of friends and you would have thought we all saw a real, live unicorn.

My state school does it, but it doesn't affect your GPA (only your LSAC GPA), so most profs don't even bother. My last semester, I asked each one what I had to do to get an A+ in the class--half of them gave it to me without having me doing anything on top of my regular coursework, and the other half were adamant about not giving them out at all.

Brettanomyces

Postby Brettanomyces » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:49 pm

My resume sucks total ass.

EstebanMFernandez

Postby EstebanMFernandez » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:49 pm

Yea same here I go to a state/ commuter school in Cali. Most of my classed had an A+ category, but I was literally the only guy in each one of my classes who got anywhere near 98% lol

Apparently my school is the 13th hardest grading school in the country? lol I think it's because most of these kids don't need A"s. C's get degrees

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:49 pm

Brettanomyces wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:What schools are giving out A+'s ? One of my college friends got one and showed it to a group of friends and you would have thought we all saw a real, live unicorn.

My state school does it, but it doesn't affect your GPA (only your LSAC GPA), so most profs don't even bother. My last semester, I asked each one what I had to do to get an A+ in the class--half of them gave it to me without having me doing anything on top of my regular coursework, and the other half were adamant about not giving them out at all.

Oh wow. That's wonderful! I could never imagine asking, that's brave.

EstebanMFernandez

Postby EstebanMFernandez » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:50 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:
Brettanomyces wrote:

I think people SHOULD ask. What are they going to do? They should be willing to work with you.

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:51 pm

applelover wrote:
Mojosodope wrote:

Overachiever

I'm trying to maintain my LSAC GPA incase some schools are on the fence about me at the end of this semester.

You will have a JS2 before next semester even starts.

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:51 pm

Brettanomyces wrote:My resume sucks total ass.

Me too! I had so many dam. Work study jobs trying to stay afloat in college I didn't have time for meaningful employment or group involvement which set me up for failure when I graduated.

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:52 pm

EstebanMFernandez wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:
Brettanomyces wrote:

I think people SHOULD ask. What are they going to do? They should be willing to work with you.

I just have a super different view of what I perceive as authority. I wasn't raised to questions teachers, police, or anyone in power so I just couldn't bring myself to do that. I'm growing out of that now though.

Brettanomyces

Postby Brettanomyces » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:54 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:
Brettanomyces wrote:

I figured I didn't have anything to lose. One professor was like, "it means nothing to me. You can have the plus-sign. Whatever."

Another: "I'm not doing that. It serves no purpose."

"it'll show up as a higher grade on my LSAC transcript."

"oh."

"So, can I earn an A+?"

"No."

Errr.

Brettanomyces

Postby Brettanomyces » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:55 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:
Brettanomyces wrote:My resume sucks total ass.

Me too! I had so many dam. Work study jobs trying to stay afloat in college I didn't have time for meaningful employment or group involvement which set me up for failure when I graduated.

I just got lazy after graduating. I took a semi-professional job then quit in order to focus on the LSAT.

Meh. I think we'll be alright.

okaygo

Postby okaygo » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:59 pm

Brettanomyces wrote:
EstebanMFernandez wrote:My Transcripts are finally in and I can begin applying @.@ I am going to start emailing for fee waivers now lol
My GPA rose even higher than I thought haha.

Is anyone else kind of feeling unworthy? I went to a pretty lame UG and had very little hope of T14 until I took the LSAT. I have no idea what im doing lol

Yo.

I have no idea what I'm doing.

EstebanMFernandez

Postby EstebanMFernandez » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:01 pm

My resume is pretty light. I was pretty broke, so I had to work all throughout college. My second job was being a musician and I am not sure if I could put that on my resume. Couldn't intern because I couldn't afford to take time off of work. did you guys put interests on your resume?

I was wondering if any adcomm would share my interest in Battle Rap, WoW, or The Wire lol

Brettanomyces

Postby Brettanomyces » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:03 pm

EstebanMFernandez wrote:My resume is pretty light. I was pretty broke, so I had to work all throughout college. My second job was being a musician and I am not sure if I could put that on my resume. Couldn't intern because I couldn't afford to take time off of work. did you guys put interests on your resume?

I was wondering if any adcomm would share my interest in Battle Rap, WoW, or The Wire lol

I listed mine.

Most of my interests are homebrew-related, but they each sound kinda interesting on their own.

Yeast harvesting, hop farming, water chemistry, etc.

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:04 pm

EstebanMFernandez wrote:My resume is pretty light. I was pretty broke, so I had to work all throughout college. My second job was being a musician and I am not sure if I could put that on my resume. Couldn't intern because I couldn't afford to take time off of work. did you guys put interests on your resume?

Just give them a Clay Davis

MoMettaMonk

Postby MoMettaMonk » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:04 pm

I don't know about an adcomm, but I definitely share all of those interests.

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:07 pm

MoMettaMonk wrote:

I don't know about an adcomm, but I definitely share all of those interests.

Oh for sure. The wire is vintage, classic tv

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:09 pm

Speaking if tv. Please tell me someone is watching Preachers of LA. I can't stop watching. It's my new guilty please behind love and hip hop.

applelover

Postby applelover » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:14 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:Speaking if tv. Please tell me someone is watching Preachers of LA. I can't stop watching. It's my new guilty please behind love and hip hop.

Nope. My Pastor criticizes it, and I don't think I could ever get into a show about that.

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:16 pm

applelover wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:Speaking if tv. Please tell me someone is watching Preachers of LA. I can't stop watching. It's my new guilty please behind love and hip hop.

Nope. My Pastor criticizes it, and I don't think I could ever get into a show about that.

"i'm loving the fact i can delete my last messages now"
Last edited by Mojosodope on Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”