URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
User avatar
EstebanMFernandez
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:37 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby EstebanMFernandez » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:08 am

Anyone else have La Raza Law Student Association from LA's B team (UCLA) email them a few days ago? It made me interested... what T14 schools have the strongest Chicano/Chicana Law Student Associations. Would love to get into immigration work.

User avatar
Dr.Zer0
Posts: 1030
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:11 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby Dr.Zer0 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:41 am

EstebanMFernandez wrote:Anyone else have La Raza Law Student Association from LA's B team (UCLA) email them a few days ago? It made me interested... what T14 schools have the strongest Chicano/Chicana Law Student Associations. Would love to get into immigration work.

Outed as a U$C fan.

User avatar
Quan292
Posts: 283
Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 2:03 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby Quan292 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:53 am

Dr.Zer0 wrote:I went to UCLA for UG and I have to say that it is pretty diverse. They have two campus buildings dedicated to URMs. One of them is the hub for student orgs (most of which are URM targeted and run) and the other dedicated to academic services for URMs. Of course UCLA could always be more diverse and I would rather have them accept more students from low soci-economic backgrounds than international students.

The law school itself is diverse as well, faculty included. The law school tries it's best to help diversify the field of law, the UCLA law fellows program being a prime example. Their critical race studies program is also really interesting IMO.

That being said, UCLA does have its racist moments. There was that infamous Alexandra Wallace incident and two more I can think of that happened in my last year.


Was that the whole racist girl in the library during a natural disaster thing. Yea my roommate last year went to UCLA and she said it was not diverse at alll so im happy at least one person felt it was somewhat diverse.

User avatar
mandyjay11
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby mandyjay11 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:46 am

howww did i miss gif timeeeee Image

User avatar
applelover
Posts: 1921
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:43 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby applelover » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:07 am

mandyjay11 wrote:howww did i miss gif timeeeee Image



You weren't online! Lol

User avatar
mandyjay11
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby mandyjay11 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:17 am

applelover wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:howww did i miss gif timeeeee Image



You weren't online! Lol


Grrr. I'm gonna check in more often.

EvMont
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:21 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby EvMont » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:23 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:howww did i miss gif timeeeee


Girl, you were out livin your life. Don't be sorry.

mac2013
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:59 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby mac2013 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:44 pm

So, what do you guys write your "why x" essays on? Like what type of things? Especially for schools that you don't have a family/personal connection to.

Trying to write ones for schools that tend to YP.

User avatar
bizzybone1313
Posts: 996
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:31 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby bizzybone1313 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:18 pm

I am not much of a drinker, but I do socially drink. Are you peeps going to be drinking 3-4 times in LS? Or more? Do any of you peeps not drink at all?

User avatar
mandyjay11
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby mandyjay11 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:35 pm

EvMont wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:howww did i miss gif timeeeee


Girl, you were out livin your life. Don't be sorry.


Lol I know right. I just love gifs so much now that I know how to find them :D

User avatar
mandyjay11
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby mandyjay11 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:36 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:I am not much of a drinker, but I do socially drink. Are you peeps going to be drinking 3-4 times in LS? Or more? Do any of you peeps not drink at all?


I drink, I plan to drink socially but not often.

User avatar
MoMettaMonk
Posts: 513
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:29 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby MoMettaMonk » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:40 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:I am not much of a drinker, but I do socially drink. Are you peeps going to be drinking 3-4 times in LS? Or more? Do any of you peeps not drink at all?


What do you mean 3-4 times? I drink socially and occasionally, but I have a feeling that I'll be cutting back from how much I drank in undergrad once I get to LS.

User avatar
Dr.Zer0
Posts: 1030
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:11 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby Dr.Zer0 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:53 pm

[redacted]
Last edited by Dr.Zer0 on Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bizzybone1313
Posts: 996
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:31 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby bizzybone1313 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:59 pm

MoMettaMonk wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:I am not much of a drinker, but I do socially drink. Are you peeps going to be drinking 3-4 times in LS? Or more? Do any of you peeps not drink at all?


What do you mean 3-4 times? I drink socially and occasionally, but I have a feeling that I'll be cutting back from how much I drank in undergrad once I get to LS.


I meant to write 3-4 times a week. I don't drink that often, but I know some people do. I have a bad habit of eating out all of the time. I want to try to be semi-healthy during LS in order to reduce stress.

User avatar
MoMettaMonk
Posts: 513
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:29 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby MoMettaMonk » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:23 pm

mac2013 wrote:So, what do you guys write your "why x" essays on? Like what type of things? Especially for schools that you don't have a family/personal connection to.

Trying to write ones for schools that tend to YP.


Find a professor whose work/area of specialty that you find interesting and talk about that. Another tactic is to look around a school's website. You'll be able to tell pretty quickly what the school values, then you can write about how your values match up with those of the school. Also if you would like to end up in the region where the school is located that's also a great connection to make.

User avatar
AAJD2B
Posts: 871
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:37 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby AAJD2B » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:29 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:I am not much of a drinker, but I do socially drink. Are you peeps going to be drinking 3-4 times in LS? Or more? Do any of you peeps not drink at all?


One thing you'd realize in law school is that as URMs, we can't afford to be under the influence to act ratchet. I want nothing happening under the influence that I may regret later on. I'm keeping my nose clean and will only limit drinking to social events/gatherings. I'm not overdoing it and know my limit. Also, I refuse to start using alcho as a crutch like so many lawyers do throughout their career.

If I get stressed out, I have a man around to release tension. So much better than a hangover, let me tell you! :lol:

User avatar
lemons
Posts: 320
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:59 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby lemons » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:39 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:
MoMettaMonk wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:I am not much of a drinker, but I do socially drink. Are you peeps going to be drinking 3-4 times in LS? Or more? Do any of you peeps not drink at all?


What do you mean 3-4 times? I drink socially and occasionally, but I have a feeling that I'll be cutting back from how much I drank in undergrad once I get to LS.


I meant to write 3-4 times a week. I don't drink that often, but I know some people do. I have a bad habit of eating out all of the time. I want to try to be semi-healthy during LS in order to reduce stress.


i drink a lot now but it's all social drinking... i'm guessing in law school i won't have the time to be so social and drink from thursday-sunday like i do now.. i'm also just going to try to be more professional in lawl school. i go to a super liberal school (like consistently named one of the most liberal schools in the country) and it's given me bad habits that i'll need to break :oops:

User avatar
Dr.Zer0
Posts: 1030
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:11 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby Dr.Zer0 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:51 pm

[redacted]
Last edited by Dr.Zer0 on Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
applelover
Posts: 1921
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:43 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby applelover » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:57 pm

I probably will only drink occasionally in law school. I'm not much of a drinker anyway.

User avatar
bizzybone1313
Posts: 996
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:31 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby bizzybone1313 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:07 pm

lemons wrote:
californiauser wrote:Really? Law school seems like a great place to find a husband.


yeah, i'm hoping law school is going to be a good place to find a hubby... i can't imagine trying to date as an associate or really any type of entry level attorney position so it's now or never! :mrgreen:


When I was working in consulting, a lot of the ladies in the building seemed to actively seek out dates with their fellow co-workers. It seems that women are more fond of this type of thing than men. When I was resigning from my job, this girl co-worker of mine grabbed my phone and typed her number in it. I never did anything with the number though because I knew I was going to leave that city. I have never dated anyone that I worked with. My manager (a single guy) always refrained from asking any girls out on dates for the same reason I did: If the dating/relationship ended up ending bad, we were afraid it could hurt us professionally. We were afraid that these women would try to get us fired as a form of vengenance. Basically, the places/situations that women like to meet men are far different than the avenues men prefer to meet women in.

I think women like to meet guys at the workplace because they assume that most guys at clubs or in other places are all losers. So, women are like well he is working at this place alongside me, so he has the potential to be a catch. But a lot of men think the same way: A lot of educated/ambitious guys don't want to date losers either and look at what a woman is doing with her life.
Last edited by bizzybone1313 on Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
lemons
Posts: 320
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:59 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby lemons » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:15 pm

Dr.Zer0 wrote:
lemons wrote:
i drink a lot now but it's all social drinking... i'm guessing in law school i won't have the time to be so social and drink from thursday-sunday like i do now.. i'm also just going to try to be more professional in lawl school. i go to a super liberal school (like consistently named one of the most liberal schools in the country) and it's given me bad habits that i'll need to break :oops:


elaborate?


gone baby gone
Last edited by lemons on Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Dr.Zer0
Posts: 1030
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:11 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby Dr.Zer0 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:19 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:
lemons wrote:
californiauser wrote:Really? Law school seems like a great place to find a husband.


yeah, i'm hoping law school is going to be a good place to find a hubby... i can't imagine trying to date as an associate or really any type of entry level attorney position so it's now or never! :mrgreen:


When I was working in consulting, a lot of the ladies in the building seemed to actively seek out dates with their fellow co-workers. It seems that women are more fond of this type of thing than men. When I was resigning from my job, this girl co-worker of mine grabbed my phone and typed her number in it. I never did anything with the number though because I knew I was going to leave that city. I have never dated anyone that I worked with. My manager (a single guy) always refrained from asking any girls out on dates for the same reason I did: If the dating/relationship ended up ending bad, we were afraid it could hurt us professionally. We were afraid that these women would try to get us fired as a form of vengenance. Basically, the places/situations that women like to meet men are far different than the avenues men prefer to meet women in.

I think women like to meet guys at the workplace because they assume that most guys at clubs or in other places are all losers. So, women are like well he is working at this place alongside me, so he has the potential to be a catch. But a lot of men think the same way: A lot of educated/ambitious guys don't want to date losers either and look at what a woman is doing with her life.


+1 on your analysis

User avatar
lemons
Posts: 320
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:59 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby lemons » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:23 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:
lemons wrote:
californiauser wrote:Really? Law school seems like a great place to find a husband.


yeah, i'm hoping law school is going to be a good place to find a hubby... i can't imagine trying to date as an associate or really any type of entry level attorney position so it's now or never! :mrgreen:


When I was working in consulting, a lot of the ladies in the building seemed to actively seek out dates with their fellow co-workers. It seems that women are more fond of this type of thing than men. When I was resigning from my job, this girl co-worker of mine grabbed my phone and typed her number in it. I never did anything with the number though because I knew I was going to leave that city. I have never dated anyone that I worked with. My manager (a single guy) always refrained from asking any girls out on dates for the same reason I did: If the dating/relationship ended up ending bad, we were afraid it could hurt us professionally. We were afraid that these women would try to get us fired as a form of vengenance. Basically, the places/situations that women like to meet men are far different than the avenues men prefer to meet women in.

I think women like to meet guys at the workplace because they assume that most guys at clubs or in other places are all losers. So, women are like well he is working at this place alongside me, so he has the potential to be a catch. But a lot of men think the same way: A lot of educated/ambitious guys don't want to date losers either and look at what a woman is doing with her life.



haha yeah, i can see why guys would be apprehensive of dating their coworkers. that's actually a big part of why i would not want to date as an associate. i don't even want to imagine the consequences of a bad breakup with a coworker or a boss!

and yeah, most guys in clubs are losers that are not really appealing for anything long term

User avatar
EstebanMFernandez
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:37 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby EstebanMFernandez » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:39 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:I am not much of a drinker, but I do socially drink. Are you peeps going to be drinking 3-4 times in LS? Or more? Do any of you peeps not drink at all?


I don't drink that much. I picked up some other social habits that I might have to quit in Law School. For one, I do dip. The stress of Law School would probably have me filling a 2 liter every day! I'm trying to quit that right now lol

User avatar
MoMettaMonk
Posts: 513
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:29 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby MoMettaMonk » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:41 pm

Am I the only one here who compulsively checks the status checkers even though every analytical bone in their body knows that nothing has changed from the last time they checked?




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest