URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Futuregohan14

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby Futuregohan14 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:25 pm

okaygo wrote:Because that 162 took literally everything in me. I scored a 155 in June after studying since January, and after June I immediately went into prepping for October and all I did was study to perfect it. Plus, um, I already gave away all of my LSAT prep material.

A few weeks ago I came on TLS with a pretty similar story (162, somewhat similar GPA, one re-take remaining). Like you, my first try was in the mid-150's. I had been convinced that I'd maxed out my LSAT performance on my second re-take. Like you, I'd put everything I had into that re-take and felt I could give little more.

Upon bringing this story to TLS, I was advised of the following:

1. My unwillingness to re-take the exam could be taken as an indication that I am overly willing to settle for a score that is good "for my race" and that I therefore lack the drive necessary to succeed in law school.

2. That my willingness to settle indicated a mentality that wasn't good for URM's as a whole because a) too many URM's thinking like me = too few URMs pushing the envelope in the future and closing the LSAT gap between URMs and non-URMs and b) Affirmative action won't last forever and URM's needed to push the envelope to be ready.

3. That my reasons for settling did not justify what I was giving up (a shot at admission to better T-14s,more scholarship money at better schools, less debt, more career options in the future).

Having considered all of these things and followed the thread after that point (right up until October scores were released), I decided to re-take in December. Like you, I think I've maxed out my potential on the LSAT, but I feel based on the advice given here that it is best to leave absolutely not doubt and give myself the best chance of succeeding going forward.

With all that said, I think it would be in your best interest to reconsider a re-take.

lemons

Postby lemons » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:14 pm

Futuregohan14 wrote:
okaygo wrote:Because that 162 took literally everything in me. I scored a 155 in June after studying since January, and after June I immediately went into prepping for October and all I did was study to perfect it. Plus, um, I already gave away all of my LSAT prep material.

A few weeks ago I came on TLS with a pretty similar story (162, somewhat similar GPA, one re-take remaining). Like you, my first try was in the mid-150's. I had been convinced that I'd maxed out my LSAT performance on my second re-take. Like you, I'd put everything I had into that re-take and felt I could give little more.

Upon bringing this story to TLS, I was advised of the following:

1. My unwillingness to re-take the exam could be taken as an indication that I am overly willing to settle for a score that is good "for my race" and that I therefore lack the drive necessary to succeed in law school.

2. That my willingness to settle indicated a mentality that wasn't good for URM's as a whole because a) too many URM's thinking like me = too few URMs pushing the envelope in the future and closing the LSAT gap between URMs and non-URMs and b) Affirmative action won't last forever and URM's needed to push the envelope to be ready.

3. That my reasons for settling did not justify what I was giving up (a shot at admission to better T-14s,more scholarship money at better schools, less debt, more career options in the future).

Having considered all of these things and followed the thread after that point (right up until October scores were released), I decided to re-take in December. Like you, I think I've maxed out my potential on the LSAT, but I feel based on the advice given here that it is best to leave absolutely not doubt and give myself the best chance of succeeding going forward.

With all that said, I think it would be in your best interest to reconsider a re-take.

Future,

I think the reason people didn't respond well to several of your earlier posts were because you framed your score as being good enough for your race. It was your attitude towards your score more than your actual score that made people (or at least me) respond the way we did.

The reason people aren't yelling from the rooftops for okaygo to retake is because she framed it as the best she could do, as opposed to the minimum she needed because she is AA. If she really thinks that it is the best she can do, then her race doesn't matter -- it is the best she can do.

just my .02.

MoMettaMonk

Postby MoMettaMonk » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:21 pm

lemons wrote:
Futuregohan14 wrote:

Future,

I think the reason people didn't respond well to several of your earlier posts were because you framed your score as being good enough for your race. It was your attitude towards your score more than your actual score that made people (or at least me) respond the way we did.

The reason people aren't yelling from the rooftops for okaygo to retake is because she framed it as the best she could do, as opposed to the minimum she needed because she is AA. If she really thinks that it is the best she can do, then her race doesn't matter -- it is the best she can do.

just my .02.

The other reason that people have only mentioned retake instead of screaming it at okaygo is that she mentioned very specific regional goals (i.e. living and working in the DC market, not necessarily biglaw) and a desire to minimize debt, so her plan to try to grab a full scholarship at GWU makes sense for that.

midnight_circus

Postby midnight_circus » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:24 pm

KingJamesLBJ wrote:
NanaP wrote:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/08/ucla-black-enrollment-freshmen_n_4242213.html

Anyone know how diverse UCLA Law is? Is it worth considering?

Wow, one heck of a video. Thanks for sharing

Agreed. Damn. Great find and thanks for sharing.

midnight_circus

Postby midnight_circus » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:32 pm

The reason people aren't yelling from the rooftops for okaygo to retake is because she framed it as the best she could do, as opposed to the minimum she needed because she is AA.

Agreed. I obviously did not participate in the initial conversation (lurking), there is an important difference between justifying not retaking because your score is "good enough" as opposed to not retaking because you did your best and your best will suffice. People driven (and crazy) enough to want to be lawyers ought to be driven enough never to settle for less than their best.

MoMettaMonk

Postby MoMettaMonk » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:43 pm

midnight_circus wrote:
KingJamesLBJ wrote:
NanaP wrote:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/08/ucla-black-enrollment-freshmen_n_4242213.html

Anyone know how diverse UCLA Law is? Is it worth considering?

Wow, one heck of a video. Thanks for sharing

Agreed. Damn. Great find and thanks for sharing.

For anyone interested at looking into the numbers of different members of different races at each school, you can find the ABA reported data by going to lsac, doing any of the school searches, and then clicking on the individual school you're interested in.

Even just briefly looking through a few t14 schools, the difference in the number of AA where affirmative action is allowed and where it isn't is stark.

applelover

Postby applelover » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:49 pm

MoMetta,

I'm just preparing myself for the worse. Especially since I wasn't happy with my LSAT score.

MoMettaMonk

Postby MoMettaMonk » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:55 pm

applelover wrote:MoMetta,

I'm just preparing myself for the worse. Especially since I wasn't happy with my LSAT score.

Understandable. I've barely been complete for a week and I'm freaking out too after seeing people who submitted at similar times get JS1s. But oh well, que sera sera and all that.

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:57 pm

Really anxious to get my first (I hope) acceptance soon :shock:

My numbers aren't super high, so I'm expecting to be in it for the long haul

applelover

Postby applelover » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:57 pm

I've been complete for almost a month now. But you're right. Que sera sera. I can only hope and pray for the best.

okaygo

Postby okaygo » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:04 pm

Futuregohan14 wrote:

I almost don't feel a need to respond because everyone else explained my position almost perfectly. I'm familiar with the TLS mantra of retake or bust, and I'm quite aware that an increase in score could give me much better chances at T6 schools, but what you're not understanding that going to a T6 school is actually not in my best interest.

As far as me maxing out my LSAT potential, I know I have. I'm not going to argue or try to justify this by telling you the amount of hours I spent studying. But I can assure you that the 162 is as good as it's going to get. And I'm proud of that 162. I don't look at it as good enough for an African American female, I look at it is as good enough for my goals.

With that being said, I'm not going to applying to GW ED because apparently its too late to make that change on my application. So although I am extremely appreciative of everyone's help and insight, can we all please stop talking about this? I feel like it's getting redundant and boring.

MoMettaMonk

Postby MoMettaMonk » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:05 pm

californiauser wrote:Really anxious to get my first (I hope) acceptance soon :shock:

When did you send in your apps?

lemons

Postby lemons » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:10 pm

so much studying to be done... how many hours/day do you think you guys study? On the weekends I've been going for 8-10 hours/day but i get super drained and I can't do any LSAT type things for a few days after. its so hard to find balance :(

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:10 pm

MoMettaMonk wrote:
californiauser wrote:Really anxious to get my first (I hope) acceptance soon :shock:

Mid-September

applelover

Postby applelover » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:15 pm

Are any other K-JDers feeling senioritis already? It's probably just me lol.

applelover

Postby applelover » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:16 pm

californiauser wrote:
MoMettaMonk wrote:

Mid-September

How many schools did you apply to?

okaygo

Postby okaygo » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:17 pm

applelover wrote:Are any other K-JDers feeling senioritis already? It's probably just me lol.

girlllll. I have been working on a paper that normally takes me two hours for two weeks. I don't want to do anything!

MoMettaMonk

Postby MoMettaMonk » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:18 pm

applelover wrote:Are any other K-JDers feeling senioritis already? It's probably just me lol.

Senioritis knocked me below a few of my target schools' median GPA, so watch out for it.

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:21 pm

applelover wrote:
californiauser wrote:
MoMettaMonk wrote:

Mid-September

How many schools did you apply to?

12 or 13 - all T14 except for 2

lemons

Postby lemons » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:22 pm

yeah, i've been feeling it since september... it's only worse that i have a countdown until graduation (42 days!)

applelover

Postby applelover » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:27 pm

MoMettaMonk wrote:

Senioritis knocked me below a few of my target schools' median GPA, so watch out for it.

I know I know. I'm just so over it. My gpa will probably drop this semester because I know I'm getting some A-s again.
Last edited by applelover on Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

applelover

Postby applelover » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:27 pm

lemons wrote:

yeah, i've been feeling it since september... it's only worse that i have a countdown until graduation (42 days!)

Aww you're a December graduate. I should've graduated in December when I had the chance.

applelover

Postby applelover » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:28 pm

okaygo wrote:

girlllll. I have been working on a paper that normally takes me two hours for two weeks. I don't want to do anything!

That reminds me I have a paper due in a few days! And I have to read over 400 boring pages for it. Oh no ugh.

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:02 pm

Futuregohan14 wrote:
okaygo wrote:

Okaygo has specific goals.

Not to be rude, but are all your posts multiple paragraphs long?

El Principe

Postby El Principe » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:14 pm

Definitely. I've just taken my last three tests w/o studying at all.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”