URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
bizzybone1313

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby bizzybone1313 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:33 pm

toshiroh wrote:
Quan292 wrote:I see a lot of people work in here. I thought yall was mostly k-jd.
What is everones we looking like? i'm 2 yrs-teaching.

1 year as a probation officer, 1 1/2 years working and pretty much building the Mental Health Court in North Fl. 2 years out of undergrad. No KJD for me lol.

My WE is pretty weak though, compared to TFA and all that.

I was approached by TFA my senior year. Not doing TFA is one of the biggest mistakes I have ever made. I graduated in December of my senior year and thought to myself, "What am I going to do from the time I graduate in December until I start work in July/August as a teacher?" Well, duh, I could have got the LSAT out of the way during that time period. Although I hear it is highly competitive, I would have probably got selected due to my background. High undergrad grades, working class background, previous tutoring of minority communities, etc. I highly recommend to future readers of this post that if you get approached by TFA or even if you don't to strongly consider doing it.

mac2013

Postby mac2013 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:37 pm

californiauser wrote:
mac2013 wrote:I am 2 years out of school now. Anyone know of any T10-t20 schools that are worth applying to because of big money like a full ride? I know previously someone mentioned USC.

How could we possibly tell you where you have a chance of a full ride without knowing your numbers?

Sorry posted a couple pages back. I am an 1/2 AA female 3.5x 173

toshiroh

Postby toshiroh » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:47 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:
toshiroh wrote:
Quan292 wrote:I see a lot of people work in here. I thought yall was mostly k-jd.

1 year as a probation officer, 1 1/2 years working and pretty much building the Mental Health Court in North Fl. 2 years out of undergrad. No KJD for me lol.

I was approached by TFA my senior year. Not doing TFA is one of the biggest mistakes I have ever made. I graduated in December of my senior year and thought to myself, "What am I going to do from the time I graduate in December until I start work in July/August as a teacher?" Well, duh, I could have got the LSAT out of the way during that time period. Although I hear it is highly competitive, I would have probably got selected due to my background. High undergrad grades, working class background, previous tutoring of minority communities, etc. I highly recommend to future readers of this post that if you get approached by TFA or even if you don't to strongly consider doing it.

I agree as well. Definitely consider doing TFA, I have multiple friends who are doing it. Though they do tell me that if you're not passionate about it, it's awful the first year. There's a lot of hoops and things that you aren't told or prepared for. Highly recommend having parents who might can lend financial support if you plan on doing it out of your city.

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:57 pm

toshiroh wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:
toshiroh wrote:

I agree as well. Definitely consider doing TFA, I have multiple friends who are doing it. Though they do tell me that if you're not passionate about it, it's awful the first year. There's a lot of hoops and things that you aren't told or prepared for. Highly recommend having parents who might can lend financial support if you plan on doing it out of your city.

I took issue with applying to TFA since I didnt have a passion for teaching nor was I a trained teacher. These inner city kids don't really people who want to use TFA as a boost to get them to law school/grad school coming in and teaching them. I couldn't apply because i felt like it would be immoral for me to do that when I feel like they would benefit from teachers whose true end goal is the children's academic success.

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:01 pm

My undergrad sponosered a trip to top business and law schools that I went on. We visited the below skools in the span of about a week. We flew, drove and went by train to all of these skools.

For your pleasure, here are my impressions of the schools that I visited:

Northwestern: Vibrant, liberal and lively. It seems like a great place to get a JD.

Chicago: Isolated, cold, very academic and conservative. I didn't like this place. My gut gave me a very bad feeling when I was on this campus. I would probably have to get a building named after me to attend this skool.

Columbia: Elitist, city on the hill and kinda distant. I think a person would either love this place or not like it all. There doesn't seem too much of a middle ground. I liked it.

NYU: Hippy (stereotype but I found it to be kinda true), nice location, warm. Not for me but I am sure a lot of students would love this place.

Hahvard: Elitist, vibrant, story and village like, unbelievable campus.

Penn: This skool is my most interesting visit. Penn didn't make much of a impression on me. For some weird reason, I have hard time remembering anything about Penn. I remember Philly being lame. I wasn't impressed. But the school itself didn't make much of an impression on me. I guess the best way to put it is that Penn is a middle of the road option. I wouldn't hate it nor would I have a smile on my face all day everyday for attending there.

Since this is top-law-schools.com and not top-business-schools.com, I am not going to review the business skools at these places.

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:11 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:My undergrad sponosered a trip to top business and law schools that I went on. We visited the below skools in the span of about a week. We flew, drove and went by train to all of these skools.

Northwestern: Vibrant, liberal and lively. It seems like a great place to get a JD.

Chicago: Isolated, cold, very academic and conservative. I didn't like this place. My gut gave me a very bad feeling when I was on this campus. I would probably have to get a building named after me to attend this skool.

Columbia: Elitist, city on the hill and kinda distant. I think a person would either love this place or not like it all. There doesn't seem too much of a middle ground. I liked it.

NYU: Hippy (stereotype but I found it to be kinda true), nice location, warm. Not for me but I am sure a lot of students would love this place.

Penn: This skool is my most interesting visit. Penn didn't make much of a impression on me. For some weird reason, I have hard time remembering anything about Penn. I remember Philly being lame. I wasn't impressed. But the school itself didn't make much of an impression on me. I guess the best way to put it is that Penn is a middle of the road option. I wouldn't hate it nor would I have a smile on my face all day everyday for attending there.

Since this is top-law-schools.com and not top-business-schools.com, I am not going to review the business skools at these places.

So what's your top choice?

Also, have you visited Penn since it's new Golkin Hall addition? If you haven't, please do. I was thoroughly enamored.

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:33 pm

AAJD2B wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:My undergrad sponosered a trip to top business and law schools that I went on. We visited the below skools in the span of about a week. We flew, drove and went by train to all of these skools.

Also, have you visited Penn since it's new Golkin Hall addition? If you haven't, please do. I was thoroughly enamored.

I have only visited Penn once. I would probably go visit again if I were strongly considering the skool.

Besides YHS which almost everyone would ultimately attend if admitted, my top choice has always been Columbia. I have always been very fond of the skool. I probably wouldn't attend NYU under most circumstances because I think the school is overrated and NYC COL isn't something I would want to pay for NYU. I would pay NYC COL in a heartbeat for Columbia though.

Outside of YHS, my top choices are Columbia, Penn and Duke. I have never been real fond of either Penn and Duke, but they are much better than a lot of the other T-14 skools for a number of reasons. I think Penn or Duke could easily get me back to the South, which is where I want to be no matter what.

I have always been real fond of Berkeley and Michigan too, but I probably wouldn't attend either for two reasons: Berkeley is overpriced and stingy with $$$ and Michigan's employment stats have been very bad in recent years. Michigan appears to be a sinking ship. I like Cornell, but it seems their placement is almost exclusively in the upper Northeast, which I don't like. I don't want to be in NYC for the next 30 years. I don't like Virginia because it is known to be the most conservative T-14 skool. I wouldn't attend Virginia under any circumstances. I like Northwestern a lot too, but I don't know if they could get me back to the South. And of course, there is Georgetown. Georgetown is the worst of the T-14 in terms of placement and is also very stingy with $$$. I probably wouldn't attend GT under most circumstances.

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:58 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:

I have only visited Penn once. I would probably go visit again if I were strongly considering the skool.

Besides YHS which almost everyone would ultimately attend if admitted, my top choice has always been Columbia. I have always been very fond of the skool. I probably wouldn't attend NYU under most circumstances because I think the school is overrated and NYC COL isn't something I would want to pay for NYU. I would pay NYC COL in a heartbeat for Columbia though.

Outside of YHS, my top choices are Columbia, Penn and Duke. I have never been real fond of either Penn and Duke, but they are much better than a lot of the other T-14 skools for a number of reasons. I think Penn or Duke could easily get me back to the South, which is where I want to be no matter what.

I have always been real fond of Berkeley and Michigan too, but I probably wouldn't attend either for two reasons: Berkeley is overpriced and stingy with $$$ and Michigan's employment stats have been very bad in recent years. Michigan appears to be a sinking ship. I like Cornell, but it seems their placement is almost exclusively in the upper Northeast, which I don't like. I don't want to be in NYC for the next 30 years. I don't like Virginia because it is known to be the most conservative T-14 skool. I wouldn't attend Virginia under any circumstances. I like Northwestern a lot too, but I don't know if they could get me back to the South. And of course, there is Georgetown. Georgetown is the worst of the T-14 in terms of placement and is also very stingy with $$$. I probably wouldn't attend GT under most circumstances.

Are you not applying to any regional schools like Vandy that could place you in the south?

okaygo

Postby okaygo » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:30 pm

Would 90K at GW with a desire to live/work in DC be worth it?

amb89

Postby amb89 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:32 pm

okaygo wrote:Would 90K at GW with a desire to live/work in DC be worth it?

Heck yea, bags would be packed

MoMettaMonk

Postby MoMettaMonk » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:34 pm

I don't know, that 22.6% employed by the school isn't exactly a positive sign.

sassybassy

Postby sassybassy » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:37 pm

I haven't posted in a minute, but curiosity has drawn me out of my hibernation. Did anyone else get an email from Yale re: applying and a webinar?

twenty

Postby twenty » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:38 pm

I'd be willing to pull the trigger on 105k from GWU (assuming I wanted DC) as long as I didn't want biglaw.

twenty

Postby twenty » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:38 pm

sassybassy wrote:I haven't posted in a minute, but curiosity has drawn me out of my hibernation. Did anyone else get an email from Yale re: applying and a webinar?

:'(

okaygo

Postby okaygo » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:41 pm

MoMettaMonk wrote:

See that's my thing. Like employment isn't the best, but I really don't want to stray from DC, and I'd probably get more money from them than GULC, especially with GULC not giving money.

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:43 pm

Are you talking about the universities as a whole or just the law schools?

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:45 pm

MoMettaMonk wrote:

Yeah but thats better than no employment at all.

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:47 pm

okaygo wrote:
MoMettaMonk wrote:

See that's my thing. Like employment isn't the best, but I really don't want to stray from DC, and I'd probably get more money from them than GULC, especially with GULC not giving money.

Stray away in what way, like you don't want to leave or you want to be able to come back.

Because most of the t14 give you a decent chance of returning.

okaygo

Postby okaygo » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:50 pm

Mojosodope wrote:
okaygo wrote:
MoMettaMonk wrote:

Stray away in what way, like you don't want to leave or you want to be able to come back.

Because most of the t14 give you a decent chance of returning.

I don't want to leave for three years. Like I know I might have to suck it up and go, but I REALLY don't want to.

EvMont

Postby EvMont » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:52 pm

Mojosodope wrote:
MoMettaMonk wrote:

Umm, what's the source for this number? That seems crazy high. If a school can afford to hirer that many graduates, maybe it should just through a few extra dollars at its career services office.

EvMont

Postby EvMont » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:56 pm

sassybassy wrote:I haven't posted in a minute, but curiosity has drawn me out of my hibernation. Did anyone else get an email from Yale re: applying and a webinar?

Welcome back, Sassy!

I got an email like that a few weeks back. I think it went out to everyone at my UG who's got an lsac account. I got it last year as well. The email I got invited people from my ug and 2 others to attend a webinar.

MoMettaMonk

Postby MoMettaMonk » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:56 pm

EvMont wrote:
Mojosodope wrote:
MoMettaMonk wrote:

Umm, what's the source for this number? That seems crazy high. If a school can afford to hirer that many graduates, maybe it should just through a few extra dollars at its career services office.

Straight from Law School Transparency. Them and UVA have ridiculously high rates of students being employed by the school after graduation.

MoMettaMonk

Postby MoMettaMonk » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:00 pm

Mojosodope wrote:
MoMettaMonk wrote:

Yes, but what's happening after that school funded employment ends? We don't have any reported numbers and it's not like this is an anomaly in the data. Year after year GWU and UVA have ridiculously high levels of school funded positions, so clearly this isn't any type of permanent employment.

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:01 pm

EvMont wrote:
Mojosodope wrote:
MoMettaMonk wrote:

You should probably get familiar with lawschooltransparency.com

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:03 pm

MoMettaMonk wrote:
Mojosodope wrote:
MoMettaMonk wrote:

Yes, but what's happening after that school funded employment ends? We don't have any reported numbers and it's not like this is an anomaly in the data. Year after year GWU and UVA have ridiculously high levels of school funded positions, so clearly this isn't any type of permanent employment.

I mean it's not the best outcome, but doing some kind of research or legal type job while you continue to look is better than nothing

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”