URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
applelover

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby applelover » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:12 pm

Lo siento por mi mal espanol esta noche

Brettanomyces

Postby Brettanomyces » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:14 pm

applelover wrote:
Brettanomyces wrote:
Oh. Esta bien. :)

y tu? De Donde Eres?

Mi mama es Mexicana y mi papa afro-Americano.

Brettanomyces

Postby Brettanomyces » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:17 pm

applelover wrote:Lo siento por mi mal espanol esta noche

Agradezco tu esfuerzo. :)

El Principe

Postby El Principe » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:17 pm

Soy Panameño

Yaaaas2013

Postby Yaaaas2013 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:17 pm

I started my LSAC account last year and had LORs and transcripts uploaded to the site. I chose the private option (not sure of the exact name) for all LORs. Now that I'm actually applying to schools this year, would it look suspicious if I changed the view option for one of my LORs? I'm sure that two out of my three recommenders wrote glowing recommendations. I'm not sure about the other professors, due to issues I dealt with at the end of the school year. Another option I have I'm considering is just hiding that LOR and asking another professor for a recommendation.

MoMettaMonk

Postby MoMettaMonk » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:20 pm

Yaaaas2013 wrote:I started my LSAC account last year and had LORs and transcripts uploaded to the site. I chose the private option (not sure of the exact name) for all LORs. Now that I'm actually applying to schools this year, would it look suspicious if I changed the view option for one of my LORs? I'm sure that two out of my three recommenders wrote glowing recommendations. I'm not sure about the other professors, due to issues I dealt with at the end of the school year. Another option I have I'm considering is just hiding that LOR and asking another professor for a recommendation.

You can always just not send that letter. It's probably the simplest option if you still have two solid LORs that you can use.

El Principe

Postby El Principe » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:22 pm

Oh yeah, since we're on the subject, I need to ask this, my LORs finally came in, but one of my recommenders sent me a copy because she believed there may have been a glitch in the submission process, so I took a look, and it's extremely.... brief. She said nice things, but it's very brief, so now I'm concerned whether this looks bad.

I'd normally have quite a few professors to ask, but our school recylces professors so everyone I'm on a first name basis with have either left or are here and wrote a letter. Should I try to seek another LOR from another professor, like one I currently have, or should I just stick it out.

okaygo

Postby okaygo » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:32 pm

El Principe wrote:Oh yeah, since we're on the subject, I need to ask this, my LORs finally came in, but one of my recommenders sent me a copy because she believed there may have been a glitch in the submission process, so I took a look, and it's extremely.... brief. She said nice things, but it's very brief, so now I'm concerned whether this looks bad.

I'd normally have quite a few professors to ask, but our school recylces professors so everyone I'm on a first name basis with have either left or are here and wrote a letter. Should I try to seek another LOR from another professor, like one I currently have, or should I just stick it out.

You're not applying until after Dec. scores, right? Might as well try another professor if you think they can give a more glowing recommendation.

El Principe

Postby El Principe » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:55 pm

okaygo wrote:
El Principe wrote:Oh yeah, since we're on the subject, I need to ask this, my LORs finally came in, but one of my recommenders sent me a copy because she believed there may have been a glitch in the submission process, so I took a look, and it's extremely.... brief. She said nice things, but it's very brief, so now I'm concerned whether this looks bad.

You're not applying until after Dec. scores, right? Might as well try another professor if you think they can give a more glowing recommendation.

Was actually gonna send as soon as I take it.

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:23 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:If you peeps are going to visit Columbia/NYU and do not wish to wait until ASW, I highly recommend you go during the weekend of December 7th. There is going to be a great boxing card held at the Brooklyn Nets arena. I am a huge boxing fan. Here is the card information.

THE BATTLE OF BROOKLYN IS ON!

FORMER FIVE-TIME, TWO-DIVISION WORLD CHAMPION ZAB SUPER JUDAH TO FIGHT FOR BROOKLYN BRAGGING RIGHTS AGAINST FORMER TWO-TIME, TWO-DIVISION WORLD CHAMPION PAULIE THE MAGIC MAN MALIGNAGGI ON DEC. 7 AT BARCLAYS CENTER LIVE ON SHOWTIME.

PLUS:
WBA SUPER WELTERWEIGHT INTERIM CHAMPION
ERISLANDY LARA TO MAKE HIS FIRST TITLE DEFENSE AGAINST FORMER WBA SUPER WELTERWEIGHT CHAMPION AUSTIN NO DOUBT TROUT AND 2012 U.S. OLYMPIAN MARCUS BROWNE SCHEDULED TO FIGHT

--LinkRemoved--

anyone that hits money below the belt is an enemy of mine

applelover

Postby applelover » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:09 pm

Brettanomyces wrote:
applelover wrote:Lo siento por mi mal espanol esta noche

Agradezco tu esfuerzo. :)

Claro que si. I love Spanish I just haven't spoken it in years.

Iroh

Postby Iroh » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:58 am

Quick question for all you URMs applying to UChicago who have written diversity statements.

UChicago doesn't seem to have a spot to upload a diversity statement. Its optional addenda sections seem to be geared toward application flaws, and the gist of their personal statement section indicates that if you bring diversity, you can mention it in the personal statement. My diversity statement and personal statement are pretty different from each other, and I'm not sure how I could combine the two in a way that wouldn't seem jarring.

What's everyone else doing?

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:30 am

Iroh wrote:Quick question for all you URMs applying to UChicago who have written diversity statements.

UChicago doesn't seem to have a spot to upload a diversity statement. Its optional addenda sections seem to be geared toward application flaws, and the gist of their personal statement section indicates that if you bring diversity, you can mention it in the personal statement. My diversity statement and personal statement are pretty different from each other, and I'm not sure how I could combine the two in a way that wouldn't seem jarring.

Just added it as an addenda

okaygo

Postby okaygo » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:10 am

SO annoyed that GULC doesn't have a Why GULC.
Smh I guess I should've checked before writing it out.

Dr.Zer0

Postby Dr.Zer0 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:20 am

okaygo wrote:SO annoyed that GULC doesn't have a Why GULC.
Smh I guess I should've checked before writing it out.

Does anyone know if theres a thread/list of schools that do accept diversity statements and why x statements?

Also, Okaygo, can't you just add it as an addendum?

okaygo

Postby okaygo » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:30 am

Dr.Zer0 wrote:

There's no space for it on the application. They have room for the DS, and then a 250 word 'optional response' where they give you five questions to answer, none of which ask why georgetown.

Iroh

Postby Iroh » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:42 am

okaygo wrote:
Dr.Zer0 wrote:

There's no space for it on the application. They have room for the DS, and then a 250 word 'optional response' where they give you five questions to answer, none of which ask why georgetown.

All of the TLS hate for Georgetown has finally gotten to them and their self-confidence is just crushed.

Srsly though, that is kind of weird.

Gamine

Postby Gamine » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:22 am

AAJD2B wrote:When are folks planning to send out their apps to HYS?? Is holding out for my Dec score adviseable ??? I am torn.

I remember an AA male from last year's thread who applied to H after the Feb 1 deadline. I believe he is now attending

mac2013

Postby mac2013 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:23 am

Mojosodope wrote:
Iroh wrote:Quick question for all you URMs applying to UChicago who have written diversity statements.

I also have this problem because I have a PS, DS and addenda already. They have room for two addenda on the application, but it seems like they dont want to read a diversity statement.

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:49 am

Gamine wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:When are folks planning to send out their apps to HYS?? Is holding out for my Dec score adviseable ??? I am torn.

I remember an AA male from last year's thread who applied to H after the Feb 1 deadline. I believe he is now attending

Thanks Gamine!!! My mind is now at ease.

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:51 am

mac2013 wrote:
Mojosodope wrote:

I also have this problem because I have a PS, DS and addenda already. They have room for two addenda on the application, but it seems like they dont want to read a diversity statement.

Yeah, you can also combine all in one document.

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:57 am

So these following apps are out: Columbia, Chicago, Penn, UVA, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, W&M

Next batch will include: Duke, Michigan, Georgetown

Awaiting December release: H, S, NYU

Contingent on a fee waiver: Cornell

Debating whether to apply: Berkeley

Miscellaneous schools that I may include: UCLA, WUSTL, USC, GW, BU, Cardozo

I think I will cap at 20 schools total. No more.

EvMont

Postby EvMont » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:04 am

AA, no Yale?

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:07 am

EvMont wrote:AA, no Yale?

No way. I highly doubt I will get in. :(

toshiroh

Postby toshiroh » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:18 am

AAJD2B wrote:So these following apps are out: Columbia, Chicago, Penn, UVA, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, W&M

Next batch will include: Duke, Michigan, Georgetown

Awaiting December release: H, S, NYU

Contingent on a fee waiver: Cornell

Debating whether to apply: Berkeley

Miscellaneous schools that I may include: UCLA, WUSTL, USC, GW, BU, Cardozo

I think I will cap at 20 schools total. No more.

I feel so behind whenever you post your progress. I was planning to send all my apps out after my DEC score, but now I feel maybe I should start now... but I feel like that blaring low OCT 2012 score will just kill my chances if I send them

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”