URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Mojosodope

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby Mojosodope » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:42 pm

toshiroh

Postby toshiroh » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:56 pm

GIF party?

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:08 am

--ImageRemoved--

Brettanomyces

Postby Brettanomyces » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:09 am

okaygo wrote:Lol I don't know if it works that way.

What, are you new? It totally does. I would have totally posted a picture of me, but I would have no idea how to take it down in time.

Just know that I have a sweet afro.

teampeeta

Postby teampeeta » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:44 am

Any URMs out there with JS1s at Harvard yet? I've heard we tend to hear back later than other people, but as I procrastinate sending in my apps, I wanted to see if others were feeling the love earlier this cycle.

Good luck to all!

amb89

Postby amb89 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:27 am

teampeeta wrote:Any URMs out there with JS1s at Harvard yet? I've heard we tend to hear back later than other people, but as I procrastinate sending in my apps, I wanted to see if others were feeling the love earlier this cycle.

Good luck to all!

Teampeeta, i just read you thread about retaking. WHY. It would be crazy to think your score gpa and race would not make you a top contender for Harvard and Stan. You scored in the top 10% of AA'S lol

teampeeta

Postby teampeeta » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:56 am

amb89 wrote:Teampeeta, i just read you thread about retaking. WHY. It would be crazy to think your score gpa and race would not make you a top contender for Harvard and Stan. You scored in the top 10% of AA'S lol

I was scoring higher on my practices and it's bothering me that I didn't do a bit better in October. I was looking at the HLS spreadsheet and I saw all those numbers in green. I thought it was really impressive for a second and then I was like, wait, just a few more points and that could have been me. Would have been if I hadn't made so many mistakes in Oct. Smh.

I also don't know that I'm as big of a lock for H and S as some have said. There was a guy who applied last cycle and got WL'd at H and S with a 3.48/173. That's the type of thing that gives me nightmares.

Plus, I was hoping to get full rides at t10 schools and I think I probably won't get that at CCN with my current numbers. A higher score might also make a difference for Y... I haven't decided I'm retaking for sure yet, but I'm thinking about it.

Brettanomyces

Postby Brettanomyces » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:41 am

teampeeta wrote:
amb89 wrote:Teampeeta, i just read you thread about retaking. WHY. It would be crazy to think your score gpa and race would not make you a top contender for Harvard and Stan. You scored in the top 10% of AA'S lol

I was scoring higher on my practices and it's bothering me that I didn't do a bit better in October. I was looking at the HLS spreadsheet and I saw all those numbers in green. I thought it was really impressive for a second and then I was like, wait, just a few more points and that could have been me. Would have been if I hadn't made so many mistakes in Oct. Smh.

I also don't know that I'm as big of a lock for H and S as some have said. There was a guy who applied last cycle and got WL'd at H and S with a 3.48/173. That's the type of thing that gives me nightmares.

Plus, I was hoping to get full rides at t10 schools and I think I probably won't get that at CCN with my current numbers. A higher score might also make a difference for Y... I haven't decided I'm retaking for sure yet, but I'm thinking about it.

I'm gonna blame significant C&F issues or PS written in crayon on that one.

Don't retake with a 3.5+ 170+.

You're set. 2 or all three of HYS are yours. Large bags of cash everywhere else.

Brettanomyces

Postby Brettanomyces » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:11 am

amb89 wrote:
teampeeta wrote:Any URMs out there with JS1s at Harvard yet? I've heard we tend to hear back later than other people, but as I procrastinate sending in my apps, I wanted to see if others were feeling the love earlier this cycle.

Good luck to all!

Teampeeta, i just read you thread about retaking. WHY. It would be crazy to think your score gpa and race would not make you a top contender for Harvard and Stan. You scored in the top 10%of AA'S lol

Fixed. Wait, you scored a 173, right?

amb89

Postby amb89 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:14 am

Brettanomyces wrote:
amb89 wrote:

Good luck to all!

Teampeeta, i just read you thread about retaking. WHY. It would be crazy to think your score gpa and race would not make you a top contender for Harvard and Stan. You scored in the top 10%of AA'S lol

I believe shes a AA 3.5 173 female. :shock:

amb89

Postby amb89 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:16 am

teampeeta wrote:

Arre you comparing yourself to other AA'S? Not other urm's because you are in a different catergory. Its hard to grasp a AA with 173 getting waitlisted

Brettanomyces

Postby Brettanomyces » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:16 am

amb89 wrote:
Brettanomyces wrote:
amb89 wrote:

Good luck to all!

I believe shes a AA 3.5 173 female. :shock:

Yeah. Very likely a top 5 scorer. I see no real reason to retake.

Brettanomyces

Postby Brettanomyces » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:17 am

amb89 wrote:
teampeeta wrote:

Arre you comparing yourself to other AA'S? Not other urm's because you are in a different catergory. Its hard to grasp a AA with 173 getting waitlisted

If so, I'm going back to C&F issues or PS in crayon. No way does a 173 AA get WL'd anywhere outside of maybe Yale.

amb89

Postby amb89 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:19 am

Brettanomyces wrote:
amb89 wrote:
teampeeta wrote:

If so, I'm going back to C&F issues or PS in crayon. No way does a 173 AA get WL'd anywhere outside of maybe Yale.

exactly what im saying. She has to be comparing herself with Caucasians or other urms

Brettanomyces

Postby Brettanomyces » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:24 am

amb89 wrote:
exactly what im saying. She has to be comparing herself with Caucasians or other urms

Probably the former. An MA would also likely be in with a 173.

Dr.Zer0

Postby Dr.Zer0 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:37 pm

Brettanomyces wrote:
amb89 wrote:

Probably the former. An MA would also likely be in with a 173.

An MA can get in with a 164 if he/she has the right gpa. Law school admittances for URMs are really hard to predict sometimes =/

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:47 pm

Penn's fee waiver finally came in ! Now awaiting Cornell. Berkeley hasn't waived anything yet. Ugh.

Off to sending my Penn app out!

toshiroh

Postby toshiroh » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:17 pm

So ready for law school. I'm so tired of being a probation officer lol

Dr.Zer0

Postby Dr.Zer0 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:22 pm

AAJD2B wrote:Penn's fee waiver finally came in ! Now awaiting Cornell. Berkeley hasn't waived anything yet. Ugh.

Off to sending my Penn app out!

Berkeley doesn't do merit waivers. You have to request a need based one.

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:23 pm

toshiroh wrote:So ready for law school. I'm so tired of being a probation officer lol

Are you really a probation officer? That seems prettyy interesting.

toshiroh

Postby toshiroh » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:35 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:
toshiroh wrote:So ready for law school. I'm so tired of being a probation officer lol

Yes, I am. I deal with mostly mental health and felony cases. It's interesting at first, but after all it just becomes very systematic.

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:44 pm

toshiroh wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:

Yes, I am. I deal with mostly mental health and felony cases. It's interesting at first, but after all it just becomes very systematic.

Ahh I see. That's still different nonetheless, what made you take that job?

toshiroh

Postby toshiroh » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:07 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:
toshiroh wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:

Ahh I see. That's still different nonetheless, what made you take that job?

Well, I figured if I was never able to get into law school, since I'm young, in a relatively career centered profession, that I would be able to work my way up the government food chain... eventually run for office or something.

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:26 pm

toshiroh wrote:
Well, I figured if I was never able to get into law school, since I'm young, in a relatively career centered profession, that I would be able to work my way up the government food chain... eventually run for office or something.

Ohhhh, I see. I would have never thought of the path from a P.O. to office. I learn new things everrryyy day.

toshiroh

Postby toshiroh » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:32 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:
toshiroh wrote:

Ohhhh, I see. I would have never thought of the path from a P.O. to office. I learn new things everrryyy day.

Yeah, it largely depends on what type of PO you are and what government entity your office falls under.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”