URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
AAJD2B

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby AAJD2B » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:34 pm

californiauser wrote:Great. I'll get it together sometime in the next couple months. I'll wait to send it around until most people start hearing back from schools.

Sounds good.

Side note: has anyone received a fee waiver from Vandy??

ETA: Nevermind...just realized I've received a hidden fee waiver.
Last edited by AAJD2B on Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:34 pm

AAJD2B wrote:
californiauser wrote:Great. I'll get it together sometime in the next couple months. I'll wait to send it around until most people start hearing back from schools.

Sounds good.

Side not: has anyone received a fee waiver from Vandy??

I got one in August, but I took the June 2013 LSAT.

Kool-Aid

Postby Kool-Aid » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:37 pm

Did anyone get a email from GULC Blsa Friday? It was about an upcoming event

El Principe

Postby El Principe » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:30 pm

Got that Columbia fee waiver :D

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:51 pm

EstebanMFernandez wrote:
californiauser wrote:I've been thinking of throwing together a google doc that all the active URMs in this section could list their stats, race, ec, w/e, etc -- much like the OCI thread in the legal employment section. People could post their username if they'd like or they could simply post their stats to remain anonymous. We could send the spreadsheet amongst ourselves in PMs to remain anonymous.

Would you guys be willing to contribute your information once acceptances start rolling in?

The goal would be to ultimately help future URMs. I feel like LSN has too much anti-AA trolling and incomplete information.

It's a legitimate anti URM bias! I saw a user named "Underachieving URM" or something along those lines with a 2.0 and a 135 reporting Harvard accepts. I was pretty disturbed...

I'll do it. Anything to help the community

Are you kidding? that is atrocious!

MoMettaMonk

Postby MoMettaMonk » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:51 pm

Also in for being a part of the spreadsheet. The fake URM profiles on MyLSN are just further proof of http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19 (slightly NSFW).

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:16 pm

Kool-Aid wrote:Did anyone get a email from GULC Blsa Friday? It was about an upcoming event

This is weird because random T14s are randomly inviting URMs to events. I went to a Cornell BLSA alumni meeting in New York and I swear there were 2 prospective students in attendance out of like 50 alumni.

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:17 pm

Also, just combined the two fee waiver solicitations you guys posted in here for a gtown few waiver. Two hour turn around. Success!

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:07 pm

am I the only one not applying to Georgetown because of their scholarship stinginess?

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:09 pm

Mojosodope wrote:am I the only one not applying to Georgetown because of their scholarship stinginess?

x2. Plus I have no interest in living/working in DC and the employment numbers are concerning.

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:11 pm

Where does everyone want to practice after school? How is LA?

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:11 pm

californiauser wrote:
Mojosodope wrote:am I the only one not applying to Georgetown because of their scholarship stinginess?

x2. Plus I have no interest in living/working in DC and the employment numbers are concerning.

I was thinking about applying just because they have been giving decisions out already, so it would be nice to be able to show my family something over Xmas break.

However, I do not think its worth the 25 bucks even with a fee waiver.

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:12 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:Where does everyone want to practice after school? How is LA?

Los Angeles or Louisiana?

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:13 pm

The traffic is ridiculous.

I'll be gunning for Manhattan.

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:16 pm

californiauser wrote:

The traffic there is just as ridiculous.

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:17 pm

Mojosodope wrote:
californiauser wrote:

The traffic there is just as ridiculous.

True, but I like walking and I'm a big fan of public transportation. I hate driving.

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:21 pm

Mojosodope wrote:

Lol Los Angeles

EstebanMFernandez

Postby EstebanMFernandez » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:25 pm

LA Traffic is manageable now with Fastrack lanes they put up. I live in Boyle Heights and can get just about anywhere within 20-35 minutes?

Is anyone getting cold feet about law school? I feel like I am trapping myself into Biglaw and all that it entails. Starting to want to get m PHD in Econ instead lol

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:33 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:
Mojosodope wrote:

Lol Los Angeles

You never know, maybe you like that cajun shit

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:36 pm

Northern Cali, NYC or Atlanta are my top three. I may very well have have to start in NYC though, but I have no intentions of staying here. NYC BIGLAW is the worst.

I love love love Cali and there is a need for more black lawyers out in Sanfran/Silicon Valley. It's the same slugging as NYC, though I will at least have the beach and palm trees nearby. Heavy venture capital, IPO, etc. work out there.

As for LA, heads up but it's heavily litigation, with lots of entertainment law, torts litigation, appellate work, etc. My bestie was just offered at an LA firm and though she prefers corporate, would have to start in litigation.

if you're looking for solid corporate law experience, your best bet is NYC, followed by DC and Chicago. Texas is where it's at for energy/project finance aspects of corporate law. No clue about Atlanta.

As I want corp experience, NYC will more than likely be where I start, then after at least 3 years of slavery, plan my escape to Cali or Atlanta or anywhere where it's warmer.

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:37 pm

AAJD2B wrote:

Northern Cali, NYC or Atlanta are my top three. I may very well have have to start in NYC though, but I have no intentions of staying here. NYC BIGLAW is the worst.

I love love love Cali and there is a need for more black lawyers out in Sanfran/Silicon Valley. It's the same slugging as NYC, though I will at least have the beach and palm trees nearby. Heavy venture capital, IPO, etc. work out there.

As for LA, heads up but it's heavily litigation, with lots of entertainment law, torts litigation, appellate work, etc. My bestie was just offered at an LA firm and though she prefers corporate, would have to start in litigation.

if you're looking for solid corporate law experience, your best bet is NYC, followed by DC and Chicago. Texas is where it's at for energy/project finance aspects of corporate law. No clue about Atlanta.

As I want corp experience, NYC will more than likely be where I start, then after at least 3 years of slavery, plan my escape to Cali or Atlanta or anywhere where it's warmer.

Do you have a business background?

amb89

Postby amb89 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:40 pm

californiauser wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:

Houston has a nice job market right now. A friend graduated from Houston law school and is now making over 200k at one of the big firms out there. As for me. Im heading North. Ive had enough of FL
Last edited by amb89 on Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:42 pm

californiauser wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:

Not at all. I've just worked in the corporate law/finance industry for several years and counting....

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:43 pm

amb89 wrote:
californiauser wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:

Houston has a nice job market right now. A friend graduated from Houston law school and is now making over 200k at one of the big firms out there. As for me. Im heading North. Ive lived in FL my whole life

200k+ in Houston = winning. That's awesome! Is it Baker Botts?

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:46 pm

AAJD2B wrote:
californiauser wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:

Not at all. I've just worked in the corporate law/finance industry for several years and counting....

How hard is it for someone who has never worked in business to learn the ins and outs of corporate law practice? I haven't been able to find much information about it besides generalities.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”