URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
lemons

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby lemons » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:53 pm

MoMettaMonk wrote:
lemons wrote:
MoMettaMonk wrote:
lemons wrote:Bey's trendy... look at her being trendy

That is the second most terrifying Beyonce gif I have ever seen.

i'm wondering what Beyonce gif is more frightening? i have a veritable library of beyonce gifs haha and i'm always looking to add more :mrgreen:

It was some variation of this one.

--ImageRemoved--

yess this is great! weightlifting gifs seem to be popular

lemons

Postby lemons » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:04 pm

does anyone have any tricks for how to do in/out games? i seem to consistently get -2 on in/out games, and -0 for most other games :?

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:08 pm

lemons wrote:does anyone have any tricks for how to do in/out games? i seem to consistently get -2 on in/out games, and -0 for most other games :?

Make deductions about which ones absolutely cannot be together

lemons

Postby lemons » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:12 pm

Mojosodope wrote:
lemons wrote:does anyone have any tricks for how to do in/out games? i seem to consistently get -2 on in/out games, and -0 for most other games :?

do you make traditional diagrams? or templates? i've studied with the powerscore method, which doesn't explicitly talk about in/out games

MoMettaMonk

Postby MoMettaMonk » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:12 pm

Make sure that you've got the pairs that either one of them has to be in (I symbolize them as A/B in the IN column) or one of them has to be out (-A/-B in the OUT column).

Once you've done that don't forget that depending on the rules you might be able to have BOTH in or BOTH out.

I used Velocity. They have some youtube videos that you can preview.

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:14 pm

lemons wrote:
Mojosodope wrote:

do you make traditional diagrams? or templates? i've studied with the powerscore method, which doesn't explicitly talk about in/out games

List of rules and scenarios is what I use.

I also don't do much notation or writing for any section, so I am probably am the worst to ask.

applelover

Postby applelover » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:15 pm

lemons wrote:
Mojosodope wrote:

I make an in column and then the sketch and then an out column. In and or games are selection games with a sketch so you should always be drawing it. The trick is to make sure you focus on your out column as well as your in column because a lot of important deductions can come from there.

applelover

Postby applelover » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:16 pm

Games was my perfect section. It's probably the only thing that saved my LSAT score.

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:18 pm

applelover wrote:Games was my perfect section. It's probably the only thing that saved my LSAT score.

pm me your stats

lemons

Postby lemons » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:19 pm

MoMettaMonk wrote:

Make sure that you've got the pairs that either one of them has to be in (I symbolize them as A/B in the IN column) or one of them has to be out (-A/-B in the OUT column).

Once you've done that don't forget that depending on the rules you might be able to have BOTH in or BOTH out.

great! i'll definitely check out those videos.. it looks like he has a ton on youtube!

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:20 pm

lemons wrote:
MoMettaMonk wrote:

great! i'll definitely check out those videos.. it looks like he has a ton on youtube!

7Sage has free videos for every problem as well

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:22 pm

What time is the PW supposed to begin?

lemons

Postby lemons » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:24 pm

applelover wrote:Games was my perfect section. It's probably the only thing that saved my LSAT score.

yeah, i'm hoping games will be my perfect section next time. i've been PTing -1/-0 on games but on the october i got -3 :cry:

also, i'd be interested in your stats in a PM :D

lemons

Postby lemons » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:25 pm

Mojosodope wrote:
lemons wrote:
MoMettaMonk wrote:

7Sage has free videos for every problem as well

ohhh, 7sage has a ton of games videos!! the guy talks so fast haha

twenty

Postby twenty » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:29 pm

What questions are you struggling with specifically? A lot of in/out games seem a lot more difficult than they really are (birds in the forest and mauve dinosaurs, specifically) because you have to play the spaces rather than try and figure out what goes where for each and every question.

For example, if I have a "If Bill is at the game, then Jenny is also at the game" and a "If Donny is not at the game, then Larry and Kellen are at the game" and there's only four "in spaces" you might be tempted to try and fit Bill in first (because it's easy to add Jenny for an easy space), and worry about Donny later.

You should actually do the opposite. Worry about Donny first. Is he there? No? This question just got a lot easier. Yes? Then the Larry/Kellen play a huge role in this.

You'll see stuff like, "If Caleb is at the game, and Patrick and Donny are not at the game, which of the following must be true?"

a. Bill is not at the game
b. Larry is not at the game
c. Xavier is at the game
etc.

So this now becomes easy:

Donny's not at the game, so you immediately add Larry and Kellen. Plus Caleb, that's three people. So you're never going to have Bill, since he'd require Jenny.

Furthermore, on super detailed in/out games (specifically picwhoring friends. effing Raimundo.) use the contrapositive to your advantage throughout all the questions. If, whenever W is in the picture, T and R are both out, and the next rule is: if Y is out, then R is in, you can contrapositive the last rule to when R is out, Y is in. Thus, W -> R -> Y, or, more simply, W -> Y

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:32 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:What questions are you struggling with specifically? A lot of in/out games seem a lot more difficult than they really are (birds in the forest and mauve dinosaurs, specifically) because you have to play the spaces rather than try and figure out what goes where for each and every question.

For example, if I have a "If Bill is at the game, then Jenny is also at the game" and a "If Donny is not at the game, then Larry and Kellen are at the game" and there's only four "in spaces" you might be tempted to try and fit Bill in first (because it's easy to add Jenny for an easy space), and worry about Donny later.

You should actually do the opposite. Worry about Donny first. Is he there? No? This question just got a lot easier. Yes? Then the Larry/Kellen play a huge role in this.

You'll see stuff like, "If Caleb is at the game, and Patrick and Donny are not at the game, which of the following must be true?"

c. Xavier is at the game
etc.

Donny's not at the game, so you immediately add Larry and Kellen. Plus Caleb, that's three people. So you're never going to have Bill, since he'd require Jenny.

Furthermore, on super detailed in/out games (specifically picwhoring friends. effing Raimundo.) use the contrapositive to your advantage throughout all the questions. If, whenever W is in the picture, T and R are both out, and the next rule is: if Y is out, then R is in, you can contrapositive the last rule to when R is out, Y is in. Thus, W -> R -> Y, or, more simply, W -> Y

Bill is always in the game homie.

applelover

Postby applelover » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:34 pm

Mojosodope wrote:

pm me your stats

Dude you've seen them twice already!.

Dr.Zer0

Postby Dr.Zer0 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:34 pm

Mojosodope wrote:What time is the PW supposed to begin?

I think we agreed on 7:30pst /10:30EST

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:34 pm

applelover wrote:
Mojosodope wrote:

pm me your stats

Clearly I do not remember seeing them once!

applelover

Postby applelover » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:34 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:What questions are you struggling with specifically? A lot of in/out games seem a lot more difficult than they really are (birds in the forest and mauve dinosaurs, specifically) because you have to play the spaces rather than try and figure out what goes where for each and every question.

c. Xavier is at the game
etc.

I remember practicing the Mauve game. I hated it!

applelover

Postby applelover » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:35 pm

Mojosodope wrote:
applelover wrote:
Mojosodope wrote:

pm me your stats

Clearly I do not remember seeing them once!

Welppp

MoMettaMonk

Postby MoMettaMonk » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:35 pm

That PW game was always my favorite. I always pictured them as the Rugrats.

applelover

Postby applelover » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:36 pm

Did anyone watch the TLC Vh1 movie?

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:37 pm

applelover wrote:

c. Xavier is at the game
etc.

I remember practicing the Mauve game. I hated it!

Got dinos perfect on the first try, its all about that deduction

EvMont

Postby EvMont » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:39 pm

applelover wrote:Did anyone watch the TLC Vh1 movie?

Umm, yes. Of course. I loved it, though the acting & writing was TERRIBLE!

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”