URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
lemons

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby lemons » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:49 pm

just completed my Vandy interview! started rough but ended strong 8) 8) 8)

okaygo

Postby okaygo » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:51 pm

lemons wrote:just completed my Vandy interview! started rough but ended strong 8) 8) 8)

go you!

lemons

Postby lemons » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:55 pm

okaygo wrote:Do you guys think I need to write a Why X for every school I plan to apply to? I wrote ones for UVA and Georgetown. But don't really want to for GW.

probs not unless you are boarderline on the #s or if they are known for YPing. I would say you should if you are applying to Duke and Penn but I don't know if other T14 schools are known for YP.

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:56 pm

lemons wrote:just completed my Vandy interview! started rough but ended strong 8) 8) 8)

El Principe

Postby El Principe » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:02 pm

Since no one replied earlier...

3.65/158 AA male. Any shot at UT Austin/Vandy/Lower T14?

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:03 pm

lemons wrote:
okaygo wrote:Do you guys think I need to write a Why X for every school I plan to apply to? I wrote ones for UVA and Georgetown. But don't really want to for GW.

probs not unless you are boarderline on the #s or if they are known for YPing. I would say you should if you are applying to Duke and Penn but I don't know if other T14 schools are known for YP.

Berkeley.

So despite my disappointing LSAT score I'll send my first batch of apps to Penn, Cornell, and Northwestern. The rest will have to wait for January, including my SEO application.

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:06 pm

El Principe wrote:Since no one replied earlier...

I had replied to your situation twice. Apply to UT Austin and Vandy, but I think you should also plan to retake for at least a lower 160s. See below post.

AAJD2B wrote:An AA male with a 3.6/158 then 163 in December landed Stanford, Columbia and NYU last year. Also SEO. He went on to attend NYU as an AnBryce recipient.

All is not lost. January will be late for us but if we can bang it out in December, we still have a decent shot.

okaygo

Postby okaygo » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:07 pm

lemons wrote:

Gotcha. I'll send one for Duke then.

okaygo

Postby okaygo » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:11 pm

I wonder what dating is like for URMs in law school. Im assuming non existent.

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:14 pm

okaygo wrote:I wonder what dating is like for URMs in law school. Im assuming non existent.

Do you only want to date other law school URMs? I would assume that being a URM male in NYC/Chicago would engender an awesome dating life -- Ann Arbor or Ithaca, not so much, assuming you aren't only interested in URM law students.

okaygo

Postby okaygo » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:16 pm

californiauser wrote:
okaygo wrote:I wonder what dating is like for URMs in law school. Im assuming non existent.

Do you only want to date other law school URMs? I would assume that being a URM male in NYC/Chicago would engender an awesome dating life -- Ann Arbor or Ithaca, not so much, assuming you aren't only interested in URM law students.

Yeah NYC/DC schools are fine..but what about schools like UVA.

El Principe

Postby El Principe » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:19 pm

AAJD2B wrote:

I had replied to your situation twice. Apply to UT Austin and Vandy, but I think you should also plan to retake for at least a lower 160s. See below post.

AAJD2B wrote:An AA male with a 3.6/158 then 163 in December landed Stanford, Columbia and NYU last year. Also SEO. He went on to attend NYU as an AnBryce recipient.

All is not lost. January will be late for us but if we can bang it out in December, we still have a decent shot.

Okay, yeah, I should have elaborated. I saw your response to this, but I posted another one a few hrs later asking should I apply to in the mean time... but thanks for replying again. I was scared to apply to UT and Vandy because I think these #s are very borderline, but there aren't many data points for AA males at those schools with my score on all the websites that track that data.

El Principe

Postby El Principe » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:20 pm

okaygo wrote:
californiauser wrote:

Probably not that bad.

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:22 pm

okaygo wrote:
californiauser wrote:

The rule of thumb is to find a potential hubby before law school, especially if you're a black woman. It's cold in the streets of law school and the legal career. Some find love in law school though, and there are numerous affinity group mixers in major cities to meet people.

UVA isn't the best place for single black women I am told. Chicago, NYC and Philly are more appreciative of our hue. :mrgreen:

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:24 pm

AAJD2B wrote:
okaygo wrote:
californiauser wrote:

The rule of thumb is to find a potential hubby before law school, especially if you're a black woman. It's cold in the streets of law school and the legal career. Some find love in law school though, and there are numerous affinity group mixers in major cities to meet people.

UVA isn't the best place for single black women I am told. Chicago, NYC and Philly are more appreciative of our hue. :mrgreen:

Really? Law school seems like a great place to find a husband.

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:24 pm

El Principe wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:

Okay, yeah, I should have elaborated. I saw your response to this, but I posted another one a few hrs later asking should I apply to in the mean time... but thanks for replying again. I was scared to apply to UT and Vandy because I think these #s are very borderline, but there aren't many data points for AA males at those schools with my score on all the websites that track that data.

I'm in a similar boat as you and will be sending apps out to the lower T14 and blanket elsewhere following my December retake. So long as you know you can do better, absolutely retake.

okaygo

Postby okaygo » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:25 pm

LAAAAAAWD. I just feel like I need to stay in these big cities. I don't want to be tucked in the middle of nowhere Virginia.

And its not that I'm personally opposed to dating non-URMs, but nonURMs dating me is a horse of a different color.

El Principe

Postby El Principe » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:25 pm

AAJD2B wrote:
okaygo wrote:
californiauser wrote:

Idk about lawyers in general, but there are a lot of successful black people with money in VA, so if you're willing to move out of the law bubble, I'm sure you can find someone.

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:27 pm

California, it really isn't. The attitudes of law school students usually suck and most folks (including a number of black males at top law schools) aren't checking for black women. Real talk.

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:29 pm

AAJD2B wrote:California, it really isn't. The attitudes of law school students usually suck and most folks (including a number of black males at top law schools) aren't checking for black women. Real talk.

Interesting. Is this hearsay or do you know any black law students? I would imagine that URMs in law school would stick together, fostering closer relationships than other academic programs.

lemons

Postby lemons » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:30 pm

californiauser wrote:Really? Law school seems like a great place to find a husband.

yeah, i'm hoping law school is going to be a good place to find a hubby... i can't imagine trying to date as an associate or really any type of entry level attorney position so it's now or never! :mrgreen:

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:31 pm

AAJD2B wrote:California, it really isn't. The attitudes of law school students usually suck and most folks (including a number of black males at top law schools) aren't checking for black women. Real talk.

I hate to say this but I agree. There are some who do but it's so rare that it's not worth risking it. I also have considered and tried dating non-URMs and that did not go over well for me.

lemons

Postby lemons » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:33 pm

Last edited by lemons on Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

lemons

Postby lemons » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:35 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:

I hate to say this but I agree. There are some who do but it's so rare that it's not worth risking it. I also have considered and tried dating non-URMs and that did not go over well for me.

yeah, i will second that.. i dated a white guy for a little bit who seemed to really understand marginality but he was super uncomfortable being with my URM friends. he talked the talk but did not walk the walk

El Principe

Postby El Principe » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:38 pm

AAJD2B wrote:
El Principe wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:

I'm in a similar boat as you and will be sending apps out to the lower T14 and blanket elsewhere following my December retake. So long as you know you can do better, absolutely retake.

Yeah, I feel embarrassed bc I never took a full practice test :oops:

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”