URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
kenwash

Bronze

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Post by kenwash » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:25 pm

teampeeta wrote:All right, law schools, I am over this whole waiting thing. Let's stop this charade because goodness knows no one has time for all this anxiety. If you could please mail or e-mail my acceptance letters at your earliest convenience, I'd be ever so grateful.

Best regards,

TP
Peeta who are you waiting to hear back from?

teampeeta

Bronze

Post by teampeeta » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:31 pm

kenwash wrote:
teampeeta wrote:All right, law schools, I am over this whole waiting thing. Let's stop this charade because goodness knows no one has time for all this anxiety. If you could please mail or e-mail my acceptance letters at your earliest convenience, I'd be ever so grateful.

Best regards,

TP
Peeta who are you waiting to hear back from?
Basically everywhere except Yale. My 250 has not written itself yet and I am, of course, channeling my anxiety into not writing it.

mt2165

Silver

Post by mt2165 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:48 pm

PhenomenalWoman wrote:Just applied for SEO and got the confirmation email! SO excited!

I have an interview with WUSTL in a couple of weeks and my UofMD decision is coming via snail mail...I wasn't expecting to have such a flurry of activity so soon after applying, esp with my numbers. Feelin' good and feelin' blessed!
I said this earlier, but it's my understanding that the WUSTL interview is really an unofficial acceptance, they just want to make sure you're not insane or anything. I'm hoping that's correct and congrats!

mac2013

Bronze

Post by mac2013 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:01 pm

Best regards,

TP
+1

I am having a really hard time planning ASWs or even narrowing down my list when I still am waiting on schools...and money....

blackbirdfly

Bronze

Post by blackbirdfly » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:08 pm

mac2013 wrote:

Best regards,

TP
+1

I am having a really hard time planning ASWs or even narrowing down my list when I still am waiting on schools...and money....
Same with the ASWs. I planned to attend several, but I think I'm going to narrow it down.

isaiah1992

Bronze

Post by isaiah1992 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:10 pm

blackbirdfly wrote:
mac2013 wrote:

Best regards,

TP
+1

Same with the ASWs. I planned to attend several, but I think I'm going to narrow it down.

Same. Except I'll probably attend the ones that offer large enough stipends to cover most of the cost

AAJD2B

Silver

Post by AAJD2B » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:18 pm

My biggest concern is having enough $$$ to secure a down payment on housing and my seat deposit. I cannot wait for schools to get back to me about a decision so late in the game.

I only have two ASWs I plan to attend, both of which I am positive will help get me to where I need to be after graduation.

For me, it will come down to fit and $$$ as both these schools are in the T14 and have very solid employment placements. Hopefully my visit will help solidify my decision.

I swear, I thought I was prepared. This experience will be my first and last. Applying to LS is no joke!

PRoark

New

Post by PRoark » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:20 pm

Hey everyone. Long time Lurker here.

I was just wondering what to think about URM admissions at HLS. Will the new deadline mean URM's will hear back even later than usual?

I'm a PR URM and I've been complete at HLS for a long time with no JS1... So I'm probably just worrying too much, but I'm pretty sure that this long a wait is not a good sign.

nabadgelyo

Bronze

Post by nabadgelyo » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:24 pm

Last edited by nabadgelyo on Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mac2013

Bronze

Post by mac2013 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:47 pm

isaiah1992 wrote:
blackbirdfly wrote:
mac2013 wrote:

Best regards,

TP
+1

Same. Except I'll probably attend the ones that offer large enough stipends to cover most of the cost
Yea, its also really frustrating that so many of them are only/primarily on weekdays. Its forcing me to limit how many I go to because I only have so many days off work.

PRoark

New

Post by PRoark » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:57 pm

nabadgelyo wrote:
PRoark wrote:Hey everyone. Long time Lurker here.

I was just wondering what to think about URM admissions at HLS. Will the new deadline mean URM's will hear back even later than usual?

I'm a PR URM and I've been complete at HLS for a long time with no JS1... So I'm probably just worrying too much, but I'm pretty sure that this long a wait is not a good sign.
I'm not sure. I will say that I see a lot of URMs on this thread with pretty strong numbers (compared to threads from other years) and keeping in mind the utterly unrepresentative nature of TLS, I can't help but recklessly speculate that this might be a tougher URM cycle than recent years. (Of course, I could be completely wrong, but I'm bored and trying to make myself feel better about not hearing from HLS in the last month)

ETA: This is to say that perhaps having a lot of splitter URMS or URMs with higher numbers might give them reason to hold on to us for a little longer.
Maybe they are just taking a lot of time this cycle on borderline candidates like me. I applied "early" this cycle hoping to not have to wait until the end of he cycle to hear back. Oh well...

Do we know if a lot of URMs gotten into HLS? According to LSN, there are not nearly as many URM admits this year as last, so maybe there are still a lot of spots open.

Dr.Zer0

Silver

Post by Dr.Zer0 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:58 pm

nabadgelyo wrote:

I'm not sure. I will say that I see a lot of URMs on this thread with pretty strong numbers (compared to threads from other years) and keeping in mind the utterly unrepresentative nature of TLS, I can't help but recklessly speculate that this might be a tougher URM cycle than recent years. (Of course, I could be completely wrong, but I'm bored and trying to make myself feel better about not hearing from HLS in the last month)

ETA: This is to say that perhaps having a lot of splitter URMS or URMs with higher numbers might give them reason to hold on to us for a little longer.
FWIW the drop in URM applicants is similar to the drop of Non-URM applicants. I don't think this cycle is tougher for URMs but it def seems to be longer, and not just for URMs.

PhenomenalWoman

New

Post by PhenomenalWoman » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:02 pm

mt2165 wrote:
PhenomenalWoman wrote:Just applied for SEO and got the confirmation email! SO excited!

I have an interview with WUSTL in a couple of weeks and my UofMD decision is coming via snail mail...I wasn't expecting to have such a flurry of activity so soon after applying, esp with my numbers. Feelin' good and feelin' blessed!
I said this earlier, but it's my understanding that the WUSTL interview is really an unofficial acceptance, they just want to make sure you're not insane or anything. I'm hoping that's correct and congrats!
I'm hoping right along with you! That seems to be the general consensus in the WUSTL thread, so I'll try to chill out about it.

UofMD is officially an acceptance! I'm hoping that my acceptance streak trickles over into the T-14...

EvMont

Bronze

Post by EvMont » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:02 pm

teampeeta wrote:My 250 has not written itself yet and I am, of course, channeling my anxiety into not writing it.
So many LOLZ! This is EXACTLY how I feel about my 250.

applelover

Gold

Post by applelover » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:11 pm

EvMont wrote:
teampeeta wrote:My 250 has not written itself yet and I am, of course, channeling my anxiety into not writing it.
So many LOLZ! This is EXACTLY how I feel about my 250.
Same.

AAJD2B

Silver

Post by AAJD2B » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:14 pm

PhenomenalWoman wrote:
mt2165 wrote:

I'm hoping right along with you! That seems to be the general consensus in the WUSTL thread, so I'll try to chill out about it.

UofMD is officially an acceptance! I'm hoping that my acceptance streak trickles over into the T-14...
Congratulations, PW!!

Hoping the same for you!

applelover

Gold

Post by applelover » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:28 pm

PRoark wrote:
nabadgelyo wrote:

Maybe they are just taking a lot of time this cycle on borderline candidates like me. I applied "early" this cycle hoping to not have to wait until the end of he cycle to hear back. Oh well...

Do we know if a lot of URMs gotten into HLS? According to LSN, there are not nearly as many URM admits this year as last, so maybe there are still a lot of spots open.
There are around 350 people in the Facebook group right now. If you take into account the people without a Facebook and considering last year's group had around 650 people in it at the end of the cycle, I would guess there's a good chance that there are plenty of spots left.

Futuregohan14

Bronze

Post by Futuregohan14 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:45 pm

PhenomenalWoman wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:
Welcome, and BTW, I am a huge fan of the actress in your avatar. Black is sooo beautiful. It's awesome seeing a non-weaved successful actress in the limelight. Hollywood is drooling over her (and rightfully so)! Did you see the movie??
I DID! It was heartbreaking and she portrayed her character with the brilliant, purposeful restraint of a well-established, seasoned actress. I was SO impressed! And she makes me SO proud! I chopped off my relaxed hair and weave about 6 months ago and my hairstyle is very similar to hers; I'm loving that she is making the look a trend in Hollywood :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tsu6fOZMXlM

nabadgelyo

Bronze

Post by nabadgelyo » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:58 pm

Last edited by nabadgelyo on Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August Wilson

Silver

Post by August Wilson » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:22 pm

Futuregohan14 wrote:
PhenomenalWoman wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:
Welcome, and BTW, I am a huge fan of the actress in your avatar. Black is sooo beautiful. It's awesome seeing a non-weaved successful actress in the limelight. Hollywood is drooling over her (and rightfully so)! Did you see the movie??
I DID! It was heartbreaking and she portrayed her character with the brilliant, purposeful restraint of a well-established, seasoned actress. I was SO impressed! And she makes me SO proud! I chopped off my relaxed hair and weave about 6 months ago and my hairstyle is very similar to hers; I'm loving that she is making the look a trend in Hollywood :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tsu6fOZMXlM
loved the "irregardless" and the dude pushing his girlfriend back into the bedroom.

mandyjay11

Silver

Post by mandyjay11 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:26 pm

AAJD2B wrote:My biggest concern is having enough $$$ to secure a down payment on housing and my seat deposit. I cannot wait for schools to get back to me about a decision so late in the game.

I only have two ASWs I plan to attend, both of which I am positive will help get me to where I need to be after graduation.

For me, it will come down to fit and $$$ as both these schools are in the T14 and have very solid employment placements. Hopefully my visit will help solidify my decision.

I swear, I thought I was prepared. This experience will be my first and last. Applying to LS is no joke!
Totally agree with this whole post.

LawSchoolOrNah

New

Post by LawSchoolOrNah » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:40 pm

Dr.Zer0 wrote:
nabadgelyo wrote:

FWIW the drop in URM applicants is similar to the drop of Non-URM applicants. I don't think this cycle is tougher for URMs but it def seems to be longer, and not just for URMs.
Echoing this. I can say pretty confidently that outside of the TLS World (and yes, there is a world outside of this haven of incredibleness), I've seen "less" overall law school movement from my institution. Can't necessarily say its at all comparable to the entire picture, but I figure since I attend an HBCU, it's in some way significant. We'll see how it all plays out, but I'd say this would actually be an especially good year for URMs.

But alas, our cycles wouldn't be law school application cycles if we had any sense of predictability.

okaygo

Silver

Post by okaygo » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:31 pm

I'm beyond ready to hear about scholly from the T14s.

kenwash

Bronze

Post by kenwash » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:03 pm

okaygo wrote:I'm beyond ready to hear about scholly from the T14s.
Same here. I still haven't gotten the a scholly email from GULC which is disappointing because it was high on my list.

Does anyone know anything about the Richman fellowship at Columbia? There is no info on TLS, and I'd like to know what I'm getting myself into before I interview..!

coolbean2013

Bronze

Post by coolbean2013 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:00 pm

kenwash wrote:
okaygo wrote:I'm beyond ready to hear about scholly from the T14s.
Same here. I still haven't gotten the a scholly email from GULC which is disappointing because it was high on my list.

Does anyone know anything about the Richman fellowship at Columbia? There is no info on TLS, and I'd like to know what I'm getting myself into before I interview..!
I don't know if this will be helpful at all, but I did find these two links:

https://www.law.columbia.edu/media_inqu ... man-Center

http://www.top-law-schools.com/archives ... 15&t=60958

Good luck with your interview, that's very exciting!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”