URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Mojosodope

Silver

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Post by Mojosodope » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:27 pm

i just want my october score back

lemons

Bronze

Post by lemons » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:05 pm

Mojosodope wrote:i just want my october score back

^^THIS

essyct

New

Post by essyct » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:05 pm

Mojosodope wrote:i just want my october score back
seriously. it totally sucks that everything I will be doing in the near future, including when and where I will be applying, is dependent on one little email. :shock:

bizzybone1313

Silver

Post by bizzybone1313 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:13 pm

EvMont wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:Anyone attending the on-campus visitation at Columbia Law this coming Monday? I have the day off due to Columbus Day and will definitely be there. I am also looking forward to the invite after the info session with Columbia's affinity groups. :mrgreen:
I wish I could go this Monday, but I started planning for it too late. Columbus Day really would have been the perfect time. You know, 3 day weekend and all. :cry: I'll be checking out Columbia in a couple of weeks. Have fun and let me (us?) know how it goes.
Columbia has a very nice campus. I liked it. It has that snobby, elitist feel to it, which I absolutely loved. But only Harvard is tops in this category in my point of view. A few years ago, my undergrad sponsored a trip to visit elite business and law schools. We visited Harvard, Penn, Chicago, Northwestern, NYU and Columbia. They all have a completely different culture to them. I remember all of them pretty well except for Penn. I have a hard time remembering the impression that Penn made on me.

Futuregohan14

Bronze

Post by Futuregohan14 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:31 pm

cheaptilts wrote:
Why...why didn't you retake the 162? There's still time.
Didn't see the utility. I concluded prior to my sitting that exam that I'd reached the peak of LSAT preparation-162 was pretty much as good as I was going to do. A re-take may (and that is a big MAY) have yielded 1 more point, 2 at most, but probably not enough to significantly improve my chances. A 1 or 2 point drop was just as likely in my evaluation based on the prep I had done.
Last edited by Futuregohan14 on Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sassybassy

New

Post by sassybassy » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:12 pm

You shouldn't underachieve just because you're Black. With proper studying, you can most likely get above a 162.

Mojosodope

Silver

Post by Mojosodope » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:08 pm

Futuregohan14 wrote:
cheaptilts wrote:
Why...why didn't you retake the 162? There's still time.
Didn't see the utility. I concluded prior to my sitting that exam that I'd reached the peak of LSAT preparation-162 was pretty much as good as I was going to do. A re-take may (and that is a big MAY) have yielded 1 more point, 2 at most, but probably not enough to significantly improve my chances. A 1 or 2 point drop was just as likely in my evaluation based on the prep I had done.

At the time my GPA was still in the 3.4 range and I had 9 months of school left, so I decided to put the LSAT away and focus on boosting my GPA to guarantee I will be able to show law schools a 3.5+. The effort that would have gone into preparing for a re-take went into my PS, DS, GPA-boosting and other efforts to get my app ready for early submission.
This isn't to knock the 162 (which is a respectable score), but with a 3.55 and being a URM, I would think that a 165-169 would make you pretty much an autolock for most T-14s...
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 4&t=195443

As an AA Male, the math in that thread implies that a 162 (when combined with a solid GPA) is pretty much an autolock for the mid-lower T-14. A 162 is not just 'respectable' in this context, it is better than 99% of AA test-takers. There are very few AAs with that score and fewer still with 3.5+ GPAs to go with it. The demand for 3.5+, 160+ AAs is much higher than the supply (again, going on the stats/math in that thread).

This knowledge was also a factor in my decision not to re-take.
Shouldn't count on the URM boost to get you in. I have seen AA Males with a 3.5 163 get wait-listed everywhere in the T14 and only get accepted to schools outside of the T14.

but to each his own. I'm over here stressing to get over a 170, and your comfortable with a 162

applelover

Gold

Post by applelover » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:28 pm

^^ I wish I could get over a 170, but the October LSAT crushed that dream.

Anyway, how is everyone on this nice day off of school/ work?

Futuregohan14

Bronze

Post by Futuregohan14 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:48 pm

Mojosodope wrote:
Shouldn't count on the URM boost to get you in. I have seen AA Males with a 3.5 163 get wait-listed everywhere in the T14 and only get accepted to schools outside of the T14.
Yes, I'm sure that outcome is quite common and should amount to a realistic expectation for an AA 3.5 163.
but to each his own. I'm over here stressing to get over a 170, and your comfortable with a 162
Is the fact that you are "stressing to get over a 170" meritorious in and of itself? Am I intended to actually care that you are doing this? Would it be best for me to strive for the ideal you have presented here and begin "stressing to get over a 170"?

Are you the "city on a hill", Mojosodope? Shall I move to follow the guiding light that is your example? If so, why?
sassybassy wrote:You shouldn't underachieve just because you're Black. With proper studying, you can most likely get above a 162.
If "proper studying" was all it took to score north of 162, then it is unlikely that said score would land anywhere near the 99th percentile for AA test-takers (unless you'd like to take this a step further and insinuate that less than 1% of AA test-takers study "properly").

In any case, all I have done is reference the facts and interpret them accordingly. You can continue to throw shaming language at me if you like, but I'm not going to apologize for doing this.
Last edited by Futuregohan14 on Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mandyjay11

Silver

Post by mandyjay11 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:50 pm

Yeah definitely no days off for me

applelover

Gold

Post by applelover » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:05 pm

Well my school calls this "fall break" and I'm grateful I needed the day off to clean and study.

XicaDaSilva

New

Post by XicaDaSilva » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:10 pm

Just popping in to say hey!! I've been living under my LSAT books...December is 'a comin'.

Whats the deal with fee waivers? What schools have you gotten? Do you all have LSAC fee waivers?

AAJD2B

Silver

Post by AAJD2B » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:19 pm

EvMont wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:Anyone attending the on-campus visitation at Columbia Law this coming Monday? I have the day off due to Columbus Day and will definitely be there. I am also looking forward to the invite after the info session with Columbia's affinity groups. :mrgreen:
I wish I could go this Monday, but I started planning for it too late. Columbus Day really would have been the perfect time. You know, 3 day weekend and all. :cry: I'll be checking out Columbia in a couple of weeks. Have fun and let me (us?) know how it goes.
It went fairly well. The crowd was somewhat large but the students and information session were generally informative. The facilities were modern but certainly more intimate. The two main facilities are Jerome Greene Hall and William and June Warren Hall with a new facility in the making near W125th street area I believe. Students seem to spend a considerable amount of time outside of where most classes and events are held (Jerome Greene Hall) and they definitely appear to feel confident in job prospects.

I asked a question about loan repayments for those unemployed and one student mentioned that's not "a thing" for Columbia Law grads. LOL. There is definitely a pompous feel to the place and students, and rightfully so. :)

I was happy to see a number of black and other minority students around -- mostly women, oh and a noteworthy point was that the Dean of Admissions - Nkonye Iwerebon - mentioned that CLS' preference is for the personal statement to somehow tie in "why law" or what path led you to law school. They definitely want to see some type of explanation in the PS. Lastly, while it is often advised to limit our resume and CVs to one page on TLS, CLS is OK two pages. According to them, you're not applying for a job and they want to see a snapshot of everything you have done during and post-college. LORs for those with 0 - 1 year of work experience should include two LORs from professors. Those with 1+ years of work experience should include an employer recommendation alongside the two LORs from professors.

Anyway, it was a great session and I am glad I visited. Definitely have a different feel from NYU and though they are asking for 82k/year, I think a CLS J.D. is worth its weight.

ETA: They also seem to have MANY opportunities to travel abroad. One student is a 3L and mentioned working/externing in three different countries. It's definitely the best place for those interested in international law/international experience.

applelover

Gold

Post by applelover » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:24 pm

XicaDaSilva wrote:Just popping in to say hey!! I've been living under my LSAT books...December is 'a comin'.

Whats the deal with fee waivers? What schools have you gotten? Do you all have LSAC fee waivers?
I got all my fee waivers after I took the LSAT and received my score. I received ones from Duke, Cornell, Michigan, Vanderbilt, GTown, Columbia , NYU, NU, UMN, UVA, UCLA, USC, Alabama, Emory, BU, BC,

Mojosodope

Silver

Post by Mojosodope » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:16 pm

Futuregohan14 wrote:
Mojosodope wrote:
Yes, I'm sure that outcome is quite common and should amount to a realistic expectation for an AA 3.5 163.
Is the fact that you are "stressing to get over a 170" meritorious in and of itself? Am I intended to actually care that you are doing this? Would it be best for me to strive for the ideal you have presented here and begin "stressing to get over a 170"?

Are you the "city on a hill", Mojosodope? Shall I move to follow the guiding light that is your example? If so, why?
sassybassy wrote:You shouldn't underachieve just because you're Black. With proper studying, you can most likely get above a 162.
If "proper studying" was all it took to score north of 162, then it is unlikely that said score would land anywhere near the 99th percentile for AA test-takers (unless you'd like to take this a step further and insinuate that less than 1% of AA test-takers study "properly").

In any case, all I have done is reference the facts and interpret them accordingly. You can continue to throw shaming language at me if you like, but I'm not going to apologize for doing this.
applelover wrote: Anyway, how is everyone on this nice day off of school/ work?
What "day off"?

My school doesn't believe in Christopher Columbus.

That's the difference between you and I, I want to be accepted for merit, and merit alone. Your comfortable with getting accepted mainly because of your race.

I understand that a 162 is 99th percentile for AA, but I don't want to limit my expectations based on my race. An 85th percentile score would simply not be sufficient for me and the standards that I have for myself.

Plus even if I was comfortable with that score, I would still feel like I was leaving money on the table or I had given up the opportunity to get into H/S. A couple more correct answers and your score is above 165. Hell, even if I scored another 162 at least I would've known I gave it another try.

edit...I'm a dick, but you sell yourself short by at least not attempting again.
Last edited by Mojosodope on Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr.Zer0

Silver

Post by Dr.Zer0 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:46 pm

[redacted]
Last edited by Dr.Zer0 on Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MoMettaMonk

Silver

Post by MoMettaMonk » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:55 pm

And heeere.... we.... go!

AAJD2B

Silver

Post by AAJD2B » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:57 pm

Mojosodope wrote:The test is easily learnable, so for someone to pass up the chance to score higher is funny to me. Hopefully you have the work ethic to perform well in law school, since you seem to lack the drive to push yourself beyond what is expected of you because of your race.
There is really no need for this comment, especially in a thread that's intended to uplift and inform other URMs as we navigate the law school admissions process.

Moreover, we can agree to disagree, can we not? We are not all cut from the same cloth. Just because a test is considered "easily learnable" to you does not mean it will be easily learnable for every other person. Not all of us share the same career goals, the same dream schools, or the same score benchmark that will make someone satisfied or happy. For some, a 162 is stellar. For others, it won't be, but to go on to insinuate that on this basis one may lack "to push...beyond what is expected" is, in my humblest of opinions, an ad hominem flaw that has no place in this thread, given it's very purpose.

Mojosodope

Silver

Post by Mojosodope » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:57 pm

MoMettaMonk wrote:And heeere.... we.... go!
I'm supposed to sit here a let someone quote the bible at me?

Get outta hereeee

AAJD2B

Silver

Post by AAJD2B » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:58 pm

Dr.Zer0 wrote:Image
Why encourage this??? Come on now.

AAJD2B

Silver

Post by AAJD2B » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:00 pm

Mojosodope wrote:
MoMettaMonk wrote:And heeere.... we.... go!
I'm supposed to sit here a let someone quote the bible at me?

Get outta hereeee
There is a place in time for everything. This thread isn't one of them.

Mojosodope

Silver

Post by Mojosodope » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:02 pm

AAJD2B wrote:
Mojosodope wrote:The test is easily learnable, so for someone to pass up the chance to score higher is funny to me. Hopefully you have the work ethic to perform well in law school, since you seem to lack the drive to push yourself beyond what is expected of you because of your race.
There is really no need for this comment, especially in a thread that's intended to uplift and inform other URMs as we navigate the law school admissions process.

Moreover, we can agree to disagree, can we not? We are not all cut from the same cloth. Just because a test is considered "easily learnable" to you does not mean it will be easily learnable for every other person. Not all of us share the same career goals, the same dream schools, or the same score benchmark that will make someone satisfied or happy. For some, a 162 is stellar. For others, it won't be, but to go on to insinuate that on this basis one may lack "to push...beyond what is expected" is, in my humblest of opinions, an ad hominem flaw that has no place in this thread, given it's very purpose.
The only reason a 162 is good enough for him is because its good enough to get into a t14.

Not because he used up all his retakes, or even he got two 162s. Its not the score that bothered me, it was his rationalization of why it was good enough that bugged me.

But I agree I took it too far, I guess thats me being the "city on the hill"

mandyjay11

Silver

Post by mandyjay11 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:12 pm

You guys, we can't do this. We get enough of this hostility from "others" we don't need it here. I think we should strive to do the best that we can and if someone wants to use race as leverage I can't put them down because people that aren't black use lots of things as leverage (family connections, a prestigious job, legacy).

I don't believe in doing the bare minimum but who knows if that's his/ her bare minimum and who knows if more is necessary to reach their particular goal. Let's just be supportive.

At least we weren't at Walmart racking up $700 worth of stuff knowing we only have 49 cents. That would warrant some shady comments.

:D :D :D

sassybassy

New

Post by sassybassy » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:22 pm

Bare minimum is unacceptable. No shade... But shade.

But let's go back over to the positive side. I for one have finished my PS, LORs, and my apps. Thanks to the advice on TLS I even wrote my DS - though I don't think it's the conventional DS based on the samples in the DS thread.

I am now only left to stare helplessly at a calendar and fret over my October LSAT scores. Sigh.

applelover

Gold

Post by applelover » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:24 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:You guys, we can't do this. We get enough of this hostility from "others" we don't need it here. I think we should strive to do the best that we can and if someone wants to use race as leverage I can't put them down because people that aren't black use lots of things as leverage (family connections, a prestigious job, legacy).

I don't believe in doing the bare minimum but who knows if that's his/ her bare minimum and who knows if more is necessary to reach their particular goal. Let's just be supportive.

At least we weren't at Walmart racking up $700 worth of stuff knowing we only have 49 cents. That would warrant some shady comments.

:D :D :D

Lol I've never spent that much but I have been that person that's like "oh how much is that? What does it take my total to? Oh nevermind put it back. " when there's a long line of people behind me.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”