URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
mandyjay11

Silver

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Post by mandyjay11 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:06 am

Deleted... Oops, posted twice

sassybassy

New

Post by sassybassy » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:17 am

Did you all see that people were confusing Nelson Mandela with Morgan Freeman last night on Twitter? Like they would post R.I.P. Mandela with a pic of Freeman attached...

P.S. JS1!

ThePiedPiper

Bronze

Post by ThePiedPiper » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:20 am

I wrote a personal statement and diversity statement for every school I appiled to. Then for each school that had a supplemental statement, why x statement, and scholarship staement, I wrote those as well. I guess you can say I just love to write mandy lol. Especially since I write in my spare time anyway. And I recieved fee waivers from every school I applied too. In total I appiled to 48. So I just paid for the CAS Report for all of them.

mandyjay11

Silver

Post by mandyjay11 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:23 am

sassybassy wrote:Did you all see that people were confusing Nelson Mandela with Morgan Freeman last night on Twitter? Like they would post R.I.P. Mandela with a pic of Freeman attached...

P.S. JS1!

OMG!!!!! DONT YOU DARE JS 1 in a PS !!!! CONGRATSSSSSSSSSSS !!!!! :D :D :D :D

mandyjay11

Silver

Post by mandyjay11 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:24 am

ThePiedPiper wrote:I wrote a personal statement and diversity statement for every school I appiled to. Then for each school that had a supplemental statement, why x statement, and scholarship staement, I wrote those as well. I guess you can say I just love to write mandy lol. Especially since I write in my spare time anyway. And I recieved fee waivers from every school I applied too. In total I appiled to 48. So I just paid for the CAS Report for all of them.

Ahhh ok I see... well that's excellent that you love to write. Are you k-JD ?

ThePiedPiper

Bronze

Post by ThePiedPiper » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:28 am

mandyjay11 wrote:
sassybassy wrote:Did you all see that people were confusing Nelson Mandela with Morgan Freeman last night on Twitter? Like they would post R.I.P. Mandela with a pic of Freeman attached...

P.S. JS1!

OMG!!!!! DONT YOU DARE JS 1 in a PS !!!! CONGRATSSSSSSSSSSS !!!!! :D :D :D :D
JS 1 should never be P.S. It deserves its own montage lol. Congrats!!! That is great news. You are well on your way :D

ThePiedPiper

Bronze

Post by ThePiedPiper » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:46 am

mandyjay11 wrote:
ThePiedPiper wrote:I wrote a personal statement and diversity statement for every school I appiled to. Then for each school that had a supplemental statement, why x statement, and scholarship staement, I wrote those as well. I guess you can say I just love to write mandy lol. Especially since I write in my spare time anyway. And I recieved fee waivers from every school I applied too. In total I appiled to 48. So I just paid for the CAS Report for all of them.

Ahhh ok I see... well that's excellent that you love to write. Are you k-JD ?
No I am not K-JD even though I just graduated this past Mother's Day with my Bachelors. I took some time off between earning my 2 yr degree and my 4 yr degree because of personal and family medical issues. Hence why I applied to so many schools because it effected my GPA while I was an undergrad. I just wanted to maximize and give myself the best shot to make it into law school. Because I am just witnessing the brillance of so many minds especially in this forum. Which is great for me because I love to see people excel. Especially my fellow URMs. Who I know have worked extremely hard just to put themselves in this position or get to this point in general in their lives. It really makes me proud to see.

mandyjay11

Silver

Post by mandyjay11 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:57 am

ThePiedPiper wrote:
No I am not K-JD even though I just graduated this past Mother's Day with my Bachelors. I took some time off between earning my 2 yr degree and my 4 yr degree because of personal and family medical issues. Hence why I applied to so many schools because it effected my GPA while I was an undergrad. I just wanted to maximize and give myself the best shot to make it into law school. Because I am just witnessing the brillance of so many minds especially in this forum. Which is great for me because I love to see people excel. Especially my fellow URMs. Who I know have worked extremely hard just to put themselves in this position or get to this point in general in their lives. It really makes me proud to see.
This is excellent to read/hear. Im glad you remained strong and continued pushing forward! I have faith that you will get into all 48 schools!!

ThePiedPiper

Bronze

Post by ThePiedPiper » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:04 am

mandyjay11 wrote:
ThePiedPiper wrote:
This is excellent to read/hear. Im glad you remained strong and continued pushing forward! I have faith that you will get into all 48 schools!!
Thank you mandy I really appreciate those words.

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:52 pm

ThePiedPiper wrote:I wrote a personal statement and diversity statement for every school I appiled to. Then for each school that had a supplemental statement, why x statement, and scholarship staement, I wrote those as well. I guess you can say I just love to write mandy lol. Especially since I write in my spare time anyway. And I recieved fee waivers from every school I applied too. In total I appiled to 48 . So I just paid for the CAS Report for all of them.
:shock:

So you spent $1200 in reporting fees?

ThePiedPiper

Bronze

Post by ThePiedPiper » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:33 pm

californiauser wrote:
ThePiedPiper wrote:I wrote a personal statement and diversity statement for every school I appiled to. Then for each school that had a supplemental statement, why x statement, and scholarship staement, I wrote those as well. I guess you can say I just love to write mandy lol. Especially since I write in my spare time anyway. And I recieved fee waivers from every school I applied too. In total I appiled to 48 . So I just paid for the CAS Report for all of them.

Yup. I just considered it an investment.

Mojosodope

Silver

Post by Mojosodope » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:39 pm

ThePiedPiper wrote:
californiauser wrote:

You sound like a baller to me.

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:41 pm

ThePiedPiper wrote:
californiauser wrote:

That's crazy dude...not so much the money but all those apps

Mojosodope

Silver

Post by Mojosodope » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:43 pm

californiauser wrote:
ThePiedPiper wrote:
californiauser wrote:

That's crazy dude...not so much the money but all those apps
What's crazy is how random they are... is there some sort of pattern I'm missing?

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:57 pm

Mojosodope wrote:What's crazy is how random they are... is there some sort of pattern I'm missing?
This...if you're competitive for T14, why are you applying to DePaul and Hastings?

ThePiedPiper

Bronze

Post by ThePiedPiper » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:03 pm

Mojosodope wrote:
ThePiedPiper wrote:
californiauser wrote:

You sound like a baller to me.
Lol I am hardly a baller. Far from it. I wish I was though. I just understand that the legal market is still in a flux right now. Plus on top of that not everyone can or will gain acceptance into a T 14 school. So I just see it as you have to be flexible and willing to roll with the punches the market and life gives you. Because honestly even though the economy has gotten better. It is far from perfect. So I am just making myself flexible in order to maximize on the opportunities that may present themselves later.

blkstl

New

Post by blkstl » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:35 pm

I too planned to send out a whole lot of applications. I applied to most of the top 25 before Thanksgiving and wanted to apply to a handful of regional schools this month . But, I got my first T-14 acceptance this week. I'm considering myself done with applications.
Last edited by blkstl on Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mandyjay11

Silver

Post by mandyjay11 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:45 pm

whoa, 1200 is A LOT! I plan on applying to like 2 safety schools to bring my total to a grand total of 15 schools (T14 minus Y)

DPhoenix

New

Post by DPhoenix » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:08 pm

P.S. JS1!
Congrats! You're having a great cycle.

Futuregohan14

Bronze

Post by Futuregohan14 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:59 pm

P.S. JS1!

wow
much success
so top law applicant
such strong prospects
much great cycle
many bright future
very crimson
future harvard law student
wow

applelover

Gold

Post by applelover » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:03 pm

For the people in relationships: Does your SO plan on moving with you to law school? Or are you only applying to schools around where you all currently reside?

For all the single people: let's go to HH together.

iza3nee

New

Post by iza3nee » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:07 pm

Good Afternoon Everyone,
I know I am really late to the party and have been reading the thread trying to catch up.
Just wanted to chime in....

Got accepted to GWU on Tuesday (where I really want to go), same day got an email from GULC for a group interview. Like a lot of other people here I got the email from Harvard BLSA on Wednesday (is that a good thing and how good of a thing is it?)

Like I said I know I am late to the party so please excuse any redundancies.

MoMettaMonk

Silver

Post by MoMettaMonk » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:08 pm

applelover wrote:For the people in relationships: Does your SO plan on moving with you to law school? Or are you only applying to schools around where you all currently reside?

Yes. If there isn't an URM thread HH I will be highly disappointed.

applelover

Gold

Post by applelover » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:09 pm

iza3nee wrote:Good Afternoon Everyone,
I know I am really late to the party and have been reading the thread trying to catch up.
Just wanted to chime in....

Got accepted to GWU on Tuesday (where I really want to go), same day got an email from GULC for a group interview. Like a lot of other people here I got the email from Harvard BLSA on Wednesday (is that a good thing and how good of a thing is it?)

Like I said I know I am late to the party so please excuse any redundancies.
Congrats on GWU!

I think the Harvard BLSA thing is neutral. It's not good it's not bad. BLSA probably got your info through CRS

applelover

Gold

Post by applelover » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:10 pm

MoMettaMonk wrote:
applelover wrote:For the people in relationships: Does your SO plan on moving with you to law school? Or are you only applying to schools around where you all currently reside?

Yes. If there isn't an URM thread HH I will be highly disappointed.

Me too!! Happy hours are always fun!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”