URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
JodieLovesChachi

Bronze

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Post by JodieLovesChachi » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:25 pm

AAJD2B wrote:
Frozen98 wrote:what's an example of a critical question that's not an LSAT question?
Unfortunately, I am not in a position to reveal such information nor would it be fair to those who interviewed without such knowledge.
mandyjay11 wrote:
blackbirdfly wrote:Maybe you should search the main SEO thread for examples to see if it's been discussed.
Yes frozen, this. Those interviews are not for employment, they are for admissions. If you check the employment threads, you don't see people revealing the questions they were asked at OCI to the same people that are competing for those OCI jobs. You being more prepared would hurt us because we were not given the luxury of knowing the questions before hand.
Mandy, not you specifically, but the reluctance, generally.

Has it come to this yall? I found this same thing frustrating when I was asking questions about my upcoming interview. This is the type of zero-sum mentality that I'll run away from in law school. I'm competitive to the core, but confident enough in my own performance/abilities to help someone else out when they're asking for help. In the law school context, if Frozen asks me for notes from a class that he missed, I'm guessing I should withhold it because it can effect the curve (and, by extension, my job opportunities)? In this instance, if he is well-prepared for his interview, I should think it's going to hurt my chances of getting a job? Stop the madness. If he were asking for answers, that would be one thing. But here, he's asking for clarification of what such a question/process might look like.

I've already PM'd Frozen about my own generic interview experience and I'm not worried that he/she's gonna take my spot (or will put me at a competitive disadvantage). I fully understand the zero-sum calculation, but let's not be so naked about withholding help to a fellow URM who's asking for an explanation of what to expect in an interview. In my opinion, part of what makes our thread more enjoyable than others is that it is less prone to the guarded "i-need-to-look-out-for-mine" mentality.

Just my own perspective though.

That being said, I'll apologize for the RetroGohan-esque post. Much love and let's keep the good news comin'!
Last edited by JodieLovesChachi on Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

teampeeta

Bronze

Post by teampeeta » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:28 pm

okaygo wrote:Which T14s have the most lay prestige/does lay prestige even matter?
Harvard > Yale >>> everywhere else. Berkeley and Georgetown also have more prestige than you'd think, especially in CA and on the east coast.

ThePiedPiper

Bronze

Post by ThePiedPiper » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:33 pm

okaygo wrote:Which T14s have the most lay prestige/does lay prestige even matter?
I would say out of the T14s it would be Georgetown, Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Duke, Columbia, and Cornell. Michigan is known for sports in particular football. Same could be said about Duke but instead the sport is basketball. Some people think Chicago is a state school :roll: Then some people fail to realize Penn is an ivy. They automatically think Penn State. Unless speaking of the Wharton School of Business. UVA and Northwestern tend to be forgotten unless your in college and know academics. Berkeley has a great reputation on the West Coast and East Coast. Don't know about the South and Mid West though.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:37 pm

ThePiedPiper wrote:
I would say out of the T14s it would be Georgetown, Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Duke, Columbia, and Cornell. Michigan is known for sports in particular football. Same could be said about Duke but instead the sport is basketball. Some people think Chicago is a state school :roll: Then some people fail to realize Penn is an ivy. They automatically think Penn State. Unless speaking of the Wharton School of Business. UVA and Northwestern tend to be forgotten unless your in college and know academics. Berkeley has a great reputation on the West Coast and East Coast. Don't know about the South and Mid West though.
definitely agree with this assessment.

HYSCCDGB
Last edited by Nova on Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JodieLovesChachi

Bronze

Post by JodieLovesChachi » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:38 pm

Nova wrote:
ThePiedPiper wrote:
definitely agree with this assessment.

HYSCCDGB
+3

AAJD2B

Silver

Post by AAJD2B » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:43 pm

Lay prestige matters to get in the door...that, grades, and who you know (or rather, who knows you).

blackbirdfly

Bronze

Post by blackbirdfly » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:45 pm

applelover wrote:Tonight will be the night I finally submit my SEO app.
Good luck!

mandyjay11

Silver

Post by mandyjay11 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:48 pm

JodieLovesChachi wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:So I applied to Howard last week, they sent me an email that said my app is complete and under review, but i didn't get a status checker in the email. Is that standard??
Yeah, I think it's standard. At least that's how my process went. They sent me an application status checker once there was "action requested." Happened around a week to two weeks later..
cool thanks!

ThePiedPiper

Bronze

Post by ThePiedPiper » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:52 pm

applelover wrote:Tonight will be the night I finally submit my SEO app.
Good luck Apple. I know your going to do great.

mandyjay11

Silver

Post by mandyjay11 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:57 pm

JodieLovesChachi wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:
Frozen98 wrote:what's an example of a critical question that's not an LSAT question?
Unfortunately, I am not in a position to reveal such information nor would it be fair to those who interviewed without such knowledge.
mandyjay11 wrote:
blackbirdfly wrote:Maybe you should search the main SEO thread for examples to see if it's been discussed.
Yes frozen, this. Those interviews are not for employment, they are for admissions. If you check the employment threads, you don't see people revealing the questions they were asked at OCI to the same people that are competing for those OCI jobs. You being more prepared would hurt us because we were not given the luxury of knowing the questions before hand.

Has it come to this yall? I found this same thing frustrating when I was asking questions about my upcoming interview. This is the type of zero-sum mentality that I'll run away from in law school. I'm competitive to the core, but confident enough in my own performance/abilities to help someone else out when they're asking for help. In the law school context, if Frozen asks me for notes from a class that he missed, I'm guessing I should withhold it because it can effect the curve (and, by extension, my job opportunities)? In this instance, if he is well-prepared for his interview, I should think it's going to hurt my chances of getting a job? Stop the madness. If he were asking for answers, that would be one thing. But here, he's asking for clarification of what such a question/process might look like.

I've already PM'd Frozen about my own generic interview experience and I'm not worried that he/she's gonna take my spot (or will put me at a competitive disadvantage). I fully understand the zero-sum calculation, but let's not be so naked about withholding help to a fellow URM who's asking for an explanation of what to expect in an interview. In my opinion, part of what makes our thread more enjoyable than others is that it is less prone to the guarded "i-need-to-look-out-for-mine" mentality.

That being said, I'll apologize for the RetroGohan-esque post. Much love and let's keep the good news comin'!
Jodi, I see what you are saying and I agree with most of it. To me, this looked like a pry for the types of questions that will be asked, and thus, the answers. Because I read his inquiries as wanting the answers( because I assumed he/she did the necessary research before asking questions here) I was inclined to respond the way I did. I was never informed of the type of questions before the interview besides combing through their website and combing through the TLS threads, I am not sure why this person shouldn't have to do the same. I'm confident in how I did, but I can't give out what wasn't given to me that could have clearly put me at an advantage. Since we are all getting into great schools and have great stats, that part of the interview is the only part that will differentiate each of us from one another.

okaygo

Silver

Post by okaygo » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:59 pm

ThePiedPiper wrote:
Thanks for the assessment TPP.

And thanks for AAJD2B for answering the second half.
Last edited by okaygo on Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AAJD2B

Silver

Post by AAJD2B » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:11 pm

JodieLovesChachi wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:

It's not a matter of withholding help. Each interview is unique, as is the case study. There also exist an entire thread on what's to be expected, but not much can be divulged for the case study because it's not generic.

Zero-sum mentality cannot be avoided in law school, let alone the legal profession. To think otherwise would be foolish.

AAJD2B

Silver

Post by AAJD2B » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:14 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:
JodieLovesChachi wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:

Jodi, I see what you are saying and I agree with most of it. To me, this looked like a pry for the types of questions that will be asked, and thus, the answers. Because I read his inquiries as wanting the answers( because I assumed he/she did the necessary research before asking questions here) I was inclined to respond the way I did. I was never informed of the type of questions before the interview besides combing through their website and combing through the TLS threads, I am not sure why this person shouldn't have to do the same. I'm confident in how I did, but I can't give out what wasn't given to me that could have clearly put me at an advantage. Since we are all getting into great schools and have great stats, that part of the interview is the only part that will differentiate each of us from one another.
+1000

Not to mention, SEO reads threads on here. That's why the SEO thread is in a forum where we have the anonymous post as an option.

AAJD2B

Silver

Post by AAJD2B » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:25 pm

okaygo wrote:
ThePiedPiper wrote:
Thanks for the assessment TPP.

And thanks for AAJD2B for answering the second half. Trying to determine if UVAs lack of lay prestige will hurt me vs GULC.
Real talk? Go where the money is within the T14. Yes, the HYS brand is fabulous but trust me when I say we all start on equal-footing once we pass the bar and start off as new lawyers. The only thing that will differentiate us then will be our work product.

JodieLovesChachi

Bronze

Post by JodieLovesChachi » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:46 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:
JodieLovesChachi wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:

I hear you Mandy.
AAJD2B wrote: It's not a matter of withholding help. Each interview is unique, as is the case study. There also exist an entire thread on what's to be expected, but not much can be divulged for the case study because it's not generic.

Zero-sum mentality cannot be avoided in law school, let alone the legal profession. To think otherwise would be foolish.

I hope you don't think this way AAJD2B. There are so few of us in law school and in the profession that 1) it is beneficial for us to work together and 2) in most instances, your doing well will not significantly effect my prospects of getting a job.

Assuming that a zero-mentality is unavoidable, it is not the presence of the mentality that I lament. It's the nakedness of it. If you don't want to help out Frozen by explaining what an example might look like, I guess you shouldn't have to. Lol. That is not to say, though, that the spectacle of giving voice to a zero-sum calculation is not disturbing. (Again, I'll allude to the commonly noted practice of refusing to give a classmate notes because of the curve and the eventual effect on grades lol).

But hey, you're probably right. If that's the way you choose to see the world, explaining the format of a question to Frozen would give him/her an unfair/competitive advantage in the process. I'll concede. I just thought I would speak up because I didn't like the tenor of what was being said. Carry on.

toshiroh

Bronze

Post by toshiroh » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:47 pm

Meanwhile, still waiting on an acceptance to anywhere. Hell, I'd even take a denial right about now.

mandyjay11

Silver

Post by mandyjay11 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:48 pm

toshiroh wrote:Image

Meanwhile, still waiting on an acceptance to anywhere. Hell, I'd even take a denial right about now.
haha

wait who is that in that gif ?

Brettanomyces

Bronze

Post by Brettanomyces » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:48 pm

A friend sent me a message saying that the current SEO conversation in this thread was discouraging her from applying to the internship program.

I understand why some feel providing interview information to applicants would be unfair, but wouldn't the advantage gained by knowing the types of questions to expect be counteracted by the fact that the last-minute applicants asking for this information are trying to beat the buzzer? Also, if anonymity is a concern, can't we just send them any helpful information via PM?

I miss the love.

ThePiedPiper

Bronze

Post by ThePiedPiper » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:49 pm

No negative thoughts Tosh only positive ones.

toshiroh

Bronze

Post by toshiroh » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:50 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:

haha

wait who is that in that gif ?
Donald Glover/Childish Gambino

toshiroh

Bronze

Post by toshiroh » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:51 pm

ThePiedPiper wrote:

No negative thoughts Tosh only positive ones.
I'm trying, but it gets harder as the days slowly go by lol

mandyjay11

Silver

Post by mandyjay11 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:54 pm

toshiroh wrote:
Donald Glover/Childish Gambino
omg he is adorbss

Edit: and yes like Pied said, you have nothing to worry about! You are going to get into a school any day now.
Last edited by mandyjay11 on Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mandyjay11

Silver

Post by mandyjay11 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:56 pm

Brettanomyces wrote:A friend sent me a message saying that the current SEO conversation in this thread was discouraging her from applying to the internship program.

I understand why some feel providing interview information to applicants would be unfair, but wouldn't the advantage gained by knowing the types of questions to expect be counteracted by the fact that the last-minute applicants asking for this information are trying to beat the buzzer? Also, if anonymity is a concern, can't we just send them any helpful information via PM?

I miss the love.
Really? Your friend is going to miss out on the chance to experience an invaluable life/career experience because of what some people she doesnt know on the internet are saying? wowzerss, that's a shame.

blackbirdfly

Bronze

Post by blackbirdfly » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:56 pm

Brettanomyces wrote:A friend sent me a message saying that the current SEO conversation in this thread was discouraging her from applying to the internship program.

I miss the love.
I'm just an observer, but I don't think any last-minute applicants are at any disadvantage by not knowing interview questions.

I do believe in URM love, but I don't think we should shame people for not providing specifics about their interviews. The website gives you a pretty clear idea of what to expect anyway.
Last edited by blackbirdfly on Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

okaygo

Silver

Post by okaygo » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:56 pm

I miss the love.
Lol wut. I don't see how this conversation is in anyway discouraging someone from SEO itself. SEO is a wonderful program, and if anything the competitiveness should be encouraging someone to recognize how great of an opportunity SEO is.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”