URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Mojosodope

Silver

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Post by Mojosodope » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:01 am

toshiroh wrote:I'm a big Lupe Fiasco and Childish Gambino fan. I like some R&B as well. Beyonce's new album isn't half bad. Drunk in Love >>>>>>

I'm an old school hip hop junkie though
What's old school, Biggie or like Run DMC

lemons

Bronze

Post by lemons » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:28 am

i'm currently listening to some 90s hip-hop. not sure if that is old-school? haha

i was listening tothis on my morning runs before the snow came an ruined everything :roll:

i started getting into hip-hop when i came to college.. so i'm still learning about good hip-hop :) and before that i listened to a ton of 80s and 90s rock with a lot of grunge and industrial music (tool, anyone?)

midnight_circus

Bronze

Post by midnight_circus » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:54 am

Dr.Zer0 wrote: @nick you should browse some of the other threads in the lounge like the hip hop thread and the what are you listening to right now thread if you want to search for new music. My musical tastes range EDC type music to Classic rock to Top 40 music. So sometimes I'll start my days with some A$AP Rocky, Kendrick Lamar, Drake, hit the gym with Fleetwood Mac, AC/DC, Metallica, do cardio while listening Daft Punk, Tiesto, Infected Mushroom then close the day off with some Jay-Z, Tupac, Tyga. I also have some guilty pleasures like Katy Perry, Selena Gomez :oops:. The only stuff I don't touch is country music. What kind of genre(s) are you looking into?

@midnight are you male or female?nd when you state you watch Top Gear I'm assuming its the UK version?
Female and YES OBVIOUSLY. Screw that American BS. Some things, the British do better. Tea, monarchy, and car shows are definitely on the list.

I really like your list. I love Tupac and Daft Punk, and AC/DC has a small but special place in my heart. But I really do enjoy country.
nick1 wrote: Your taste in music is awesome, I wish I had a ear for. I definitely like the old live band type music, but it would never made my day to day playlist. On the R&B side, im more of a Erykah Badu and Jill Scott type. Love the oldies, especially Sade. Underground hip-hop, the mainstream stuff is a bit too much for me. On the jazz front, Miles Davis is a must. I think thats about it.

My favorite hip hop is probably Atmosphere. I like how relaxed their sound is. A lot of piano riffs, snare drums, and electric guitar in the background instead of dat four-on-the-floor bass. And I've lived in MN, so I have a particular allegiance to them, Prince, and Bob Dylan. <3 all around.
By "old live band music", do you mean Motown? Swing/jazz big band? Rock & roll a la Elvis and Chuck Berry? Or American Songbook standards like Sinatra or Rosemary Clooney? All of those could've been the sort of thing playing at a social event with a live band. (Like that great scene from Back to the Future? Anyone??) But I could also be misinterpreting your comment. It isn't the most explicit description. :wink:
But if you're looking for something like that but less, well, old, you could try looking for some electro-swing. It's music inspired by swing-era standards but updated with electronic sounds/instrumentation. Pretty self-explanatory, I suppose. It started in France and it stellar music. Caravan Palace and Lyre Le Temps are probably my favorites, and Jolie Coquine and Hold the Night are the songs I'd start with. :D

Futuregohan14

Bronze

Post by Futuregohan14 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:30 am

midnight_circus wrote:I just wanted to head things off before they escalated any more, Future. When a bunch of people start airing their dislike, things tend to get ugly. To counter your point, I would say that communicating with someone privately is probably the definition of a direct solution. I would not say that the path you took resolved anything. It just made a bigger mess, involving more people and more space. Mojo certainly didn't take it back or vow to change.
That outcome was unlikely regardless of the action taken.
However, commenting on his behavior (and in the manner that you did) is not something you were morally, legally, or in any other way compelled to do.
This is incorrect. I disagree with you.

For the sake of the thread, I'll leave it at that. Carry on.

flowerhair789

New

Post by flowerhair789 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:01 am

Thanks for all the TV show recommendations!
Lol, I've seen all but a few shows like The Wire, GoT, Community, New Girl, Top Gear. I'm looking forward to checking those out.

@Midnight, I've watched Sherlock! It is great! Same with Luther, The Fall (with Gilian Anderson). The British really have some great drama. Yup, I'm a doctor Who fan too. I loved loved David Tennant, and was upset when Matt Smith replaced him. He's a'right! But no one can hold a candle to my David. :D Foyle's War is another good British show, if you like mysteries. It can feel a bit slow, but I like the cast and the chemistry among them.

August Wilson

Silver

Post by August Wilson » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:05 am

archer is a show everyone should watch

flowerhair789

New

Post by flowerhair789 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:19 am

nick1 wrote:Also on a lighter note. What music do people listen to ITT, I need new music and want people's input.
I'm a fan of an oldies and 90's music, and like a few contemporary artists: Bonnie Tyler, Eva Cassidy, REO Speedwagon, Sting and the Police, Sade, Sarah Mclachlan, The Fray, Goo Goo Dolls, Switchfoot, SixPence None The Richer, Allison Krauss, Adele, Train, Jason Mraz, Massive Attack, The Lumineers, Mumford and Sons, Of Monsters and Men, etc...And Cameroonian, African, Caribbean, and French music.

Dr. Zero, I've found that my interest for country comes and goes depending on my exposure to it (living where it's played a lot, watching the TV show Nashville, etc...). I mainly like the "sweet songs" aka manly man saying how much he loves his woman :D. The sappy and breakup songs have helped a time or two throughout the years. :mrgreen:

flowerhair789

New

Post by flowerhair789 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:20 am

August Wilson wrote:archer is a show everyone should watch
I've had second-hand exposure to it. Just couldn't sit through it. It seems to be oriented towards a male audience!

alpwilliams

New

Post by alpwilliams » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:26 am

Typhoon24 wrote:
nick1 wrote:Also on a lighter note. What music do people listen to ITT, I need new music and want people's input.
after seeing all the childish gambino and beyonce avatars in this thread, it would probably serve you better to search for music elsewhere. ; )

*starts fire
LOL! I rock with Big, Pac, Hov, Wayne, Future, TIP, Jeezy, Ross, Meek, Drake, Rocko recently ive liked the A$AP clique...I like YEEZUS too!
Last edited by alpwilliams on Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

August Wilson

Silver

Post by August Wilson » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:32 am

marshmallow456 wrote:
August Wilson wrote:archer is a show everyone should watch
I've had second-hand exposure to it. Just couldn't sit through it. It seems to be oriented towards a male audience!
This may be true.

But I love new girl too. :wink:

August Wilson

Silver

Post by August Wilson » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:34 am

alpwilliams wrote:
Typhoon24 wrote:
after seeing all the childish gambino and beyonce avatars in this thread, it would probably serve you better to search for music elsewhere. ; )

*starts fire
LOL! I rock with Big, Pac, Hov, Wayne, Future, TIP, Jeezy, Ross, Meek, Drake, recently ive liked the A$AP clique...I like YEEZUS too!
YEEZUS!

I can't fux with future yet, but I love A$AP, Danny Brown, Pac, Eminem, Drake, Kendrick, and Tyler.

Oh and I'm a huge Frank Sinatra fan too.

mandyjay11

Silver

Post by mandyjay11 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:41 pm

August Wilson wrote:
alpwilliams wrote:
Typhoon24 wrote:

*starts fire
LOL! I rock with Big, Pac, Hov, Wayne, Future, TIP, Jeezy, Ross, Meek, Drake, recently ive liked the A$AP clique...I like YEEZUS too!
YEEZUS!

I can't fux with future yet, but I love A$AP, Danny Brown, Pac, Eminem, Drake, Kendrick, and Tyler.

Someone said that Yeezus was better than NWTS .... that person should be stoned... Blood on the Leaves and Black Slaves were the only good songs on that album

Mojosodope

Silver

Post by Mojosodope » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:44 pm

mandyjay11 wrote: Someone said that Yeezus was better than NWTS .... that person should be stoned... Blood on the Leaves and Black Slaves were the only good songs on that album
Yeezus was 10x better.

Its production was unbelievable.

alpwilliams

New

Post by alpwilliams » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:45 pm

Mojosodope wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote: Someone said that Yeezus was better than NWTS .... that person should be stoned... Blood on the Leaves and Black Slaves were the only good songs on that album
Yeezus was 10x better.

NWTS isnt better than Take Care.

mandyjay11

Silver

Post by mandyjay11 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:47 pm

Mojosodope wrote:
Yeezus was 10x better.

He had some cool beats and stuff... But I was feeling Drake's message more.

mandyjay11

Silver

Post by mandyjay11 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:48 pm

alpwilliams wrote:
Mojosodope wrote:
Yeezus was 10x better.

NWTS isnt better than Take Care.
I dont think I listened to Take Care all the way through

Mojosodope

Silver

Post by Mojosodope » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:50 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:
Mojosodope wrote:
Yeezus was 10x better.

Drake's message was the same it always has been.

I agree that Take Care was better.

mandyjay11

Silver

Post by mandyjay11 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:55 pm

Mojosodope wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:
Mojosodope wrote:
Yeezus was 10x better.

Drake's message was the same it always has been.

I agree that Take Care was better.
I think i also just can not stand who Kanye has become so I wont give his music a chance(although I appreciate Bound 2)... I blame Kim K

midnight_circus

Bronze

Post by midnight_circus » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:09 pm

August Wilson wrote:
Who isn't? I've only ever had one poster of a real person on my wall and it was him. Those eyes. :shock: That voice. That charisma. Seriously. He, Dean Martin, and Sammy Davis Jr were a special kind of cool. :D

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:13 pm

Any URMs had any Cornell movement in the last week?

August Wilson

Silver

Post by August Wilson » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:28 pm

midnight_circus wrote:
August Wilson wrote:
Who isn't? I've only ever had one poster of a real person on my wall and it was him. Those eyes. :shock: That voice. That charisma. Seriously. He, Dean Martin, and Sammy Davis Jr were a special kind of cool. :D

I often think "wouldn't it be grand to go back to the 40s and 50s and sing with Frank, drink martinis at any hour of the day, wear fedoras without lookling like a doucebag, and go to swingin jazz clubs?"

then i remember that I'm black and that no, it wouldn't be grand.

August Wilson

Silver

Post by August Wilson » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:33 pm

Interesting read here: --LinkRemoved--

white lawyer in NYC tries to get arrested last year. Ends up having to turn himself in...

Mojosodope

Silver

Post by Mojosodope » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:57 pm

soooo many people cheating during my last final

kenwash

Bronze

Post by kenwash » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:10 pm

californiauser wrote:Any URMs had any Cornell movement in the last week?
I haven't. It still says verifying materials. I applied last week though and I read it's taking awhile. Have you?

kenwash

Bronze

Post by kenwash » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:11 pm

Mojosodope wrote:soooo many people cheating during my last final
As an old honor council chair, I would so report them!!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”