URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
okaygo

Silver

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Post by okaygo » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:08 pm

Ideally I don't want to marry a surgeon or lawyer. Primarily because of the time constraints when it comes to my future children. I honestly think (short of being some sort of BS degree), I'm going to want to marry someone with a form of post graduate education though. I'm just not attracted to people without true ambition, and I feel that a BA without some sort of post graduate education more often than not is indicative of an ambition deficiency.

ThePiedPiper

Bronze

Post by ThePiedPiper » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:11 pm

toshiroh wrote:Is it okay to put an interest in PI in my personal statement even if the particular school or schools I'm applying to isn't particularly known for PI. I ask because, all my work experience, community outreach, etc. looks like a lead to PI and that's the only way I know how to tie everything back to Law in My personal statement.
I say go for it. Because a school ultimately wants you to be true to yourself as well honest and sincere. It shows the person you are and the passion you have to want to give back.

midnight_circus

Bronze

Post by midnight_circus » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:13 pm

toshiroh wrote:Is it okay to put an interest in PI in my personal statement even if the particular school or schools I'm applying to isn't particularly known for PI. I ask because, all my work experience, community outreach, etc. looks like a lead to PI and that's the only way I know how to tie everything back to Law in My personal statement.
1. People go to every school wanting to do PI. Columbia isn't going to ding you because they think you'd be better off at NYU. Don't worry about that aspect.

2. Unless the school specifically asks it, you don't have to say Why Law in your PS. [See: http://www.law.berkeley.edu/5188.htm and http://www.law.uchicago.edu/prospective ... lstatement] Just tell a good story that shows how you're: intelligent, a leader, motivated, whatever traits you have.

I briefly discussed an aspect of law that I find interesting, but my overall PS is about a different experience that explains some random stuff on my resume. I still think it showcases who I am and why I'll be a good lawyer than the exact reasons I want to study law. If your community service is important to you and shows off what an excellent candidate you are, go for it. If you're forcing it for the sake of "why law," pick something else.

okaygo

Silver

Post by okaygo » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:14 pm

Also I'm just overall nervous about dating in law school in general. I'm not attracted to law school type of people. I find them pretty annoying actually. Which makes me nervous about attending a school in Charlottesville or Durham.

And plus there'll probably be maybe 8 black males in the entire law school so womp womp to that.

midnight_circus

Bronze

Post by midnight_circus » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:16 pm

okaygo wrote:Also I'm just overall nervous about dating in law school in general. I'm not attracted to law school type of people. I find them pretty annoying actually. Which makes me nervous about attending a school in Charlottesville or Durham.

And plus there'll probably be maybe 8 black males in the entire law school so womp womp to that.
I can see that. A lot of the future law school kids at my UG were crazy obnoxious, but some were fantastic. But do you only date black men?

Mojosodope

Silver

Post by Mojosodope » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:18 pm

okaygo wrote:Ideally I don't want to marry a surgeon or lawyer. Primarily because of the time constraints when it comes to my future children. I honestly think (short of being some sort of BS degree), I'm going to want to marry someone with a form of post graduate education though. I'm just not attracted to people without true ambition, and I feel that a BA without some sort of post graduate education more often than not is indicative of an ambition deficiency.
So when you meet a guy you'll immediately request a resume?

I'll have to keep one in my wallet in the future.

ThePiedPiper

Bronze

Post by ThePiedPiper » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:19 pm

I actually don't want to get married at all. I don't want someone to feel threatened by my status or prestige as a lawyer. Plus if by some chance my work schedule impedes or gets in the way of having a loving healthy relationship I don't want my wife getting a divorce and taking my kids. For a while I thought about just adopting since I grew up in the foster care system or in vitro.

midnight_circus

Bronze

Post by midnight_circus » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:20 pm

Mojosodope wrote: So when you meet a guy you'll immediately request a resume?

LOL, funny story about this. I fell in love with a guy at a bar when, in the midst of an argument about the chemical properties of potassium, he pulled a laminated periodic table business card out of his wallet. I was right, but I still wanted to marry him. :lol: :D

AAJD2B

Silver

Post by AAJD2B » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:22 pm

okaygo wrote:Also I'm just overall nervous about dating in law school in general. I'm not attracted to law school type of people. I find them pretty annoying actually. Which makes me nervous about attending a school in Charlottesville or Durham.

You're only open to dating black/AA? Also, by chance are you Nigerian? If so, I've heard the dating pool for Nigerian Americans are not as difficult as there is always some aunt or family member who knows someone's son or grandson looking for a good Nigerian woman, good defined as someone who knows how to make fufu, jolt of rice, egu soup, etc, lol.

Anyway, you may consider going to a school with a business/medical school or in a big city. 8)

okaygo

Silver

Post by okaygo » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:22 pm

Mojosodope wrote:
okaygo wrote:Ideally I don't want to marry a surgeon or lawyer. Primarily because of the time constraints when it comes to my future children. I honestly think (short of being some sort of BS degree), I'm going to want to marry someone with a form of post graduate education though. I'm just not attracted to people without true ambition, and I feel that a BA without some sort of post graduate education more often than not is indicative of an ambition deficiency.

Honestly kind of yes. Cover letter will do as well.
But in all seriousness after about a hour of talking to someone I tend to know their major/goals/GPA and I use discretion from there to see if their 'softs' make up for deficiencies.

AAJD2B

Silver

Post by AAJD2B » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:25 pm

ThePiedPiper wrote:I actually don't want to get married at all. I don't want someone to feel threatened by my status or prestige as a lawyer. Plus if by some chance my work schedule impedes or gets in the way of having a loving healthy relationship I don't want my wife getting a divorce and taking my kids. For a while I thought about just adopting since I grew up in the foster care system or in vitro.
Uhm, what? This makes no sense, bro.

There are women who are committed and understanding of sacrifices made to get ahead. Besides this work schedule thing is within your control once you've gain some years of experience. I hope you won't be one of those black males that wear their degree on their sleeves and act as if you're God's gift to women.

okaygo

Silver

Post by okaygo » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:25 pm

And also no, I'm definitely not only interested in black men, but in the past I've just only dated black men.

And also no I'm not Nigerian.

mandyjay11

Silver

Post by mandyjay11 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:27 pm

okaygo wrote:
Mojosodope wrote:

Honestly kind of yes. Cover letter will do as well.
But in all seriousness after about a hour of talking to someone I tend to know their major/goals/GPA and I use discretion from there to see if their 'softs' make up for deficiencies.
+1

okaygo

Silver

Post by okaygo » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:27 pm

AAJD2B wrote:

You're only open to dating black/AA? Also, by chance are you Nigerian? If so, I've heard the dating pool for Nigerian Americans are not as difficult as there is always some aunt or family member who knows someone's son or grandson looking for a good Nigerian woman, good defined as someone who knows how to make fufu, jolt of rice, egu soup, etc, lol.

Anyway, you may consider going to a school with a business/medical school or in a big city. 8)
Another reason as to why I'm DC or bust!

AAJD2B

Silver

Post by AAJD2B » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:28 pm

So uhmm, is anyone thinking of being their own boss? I have this illustrious plan as I have no intention to work for someone else all of my life. I'm looking at branching out after maybe 3-5 years of corp law experience.

I've come to the realization that wealth comes from entrepreneurship and having an employer mentality. We need more entrepreneurs in black communities.

midnight_circus

Bronze

Post by midnight_circus » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:29 pm

AAJD2B wrote:
ThePiedPiper wrote:I actually don't want to get married at all. I don't want someone to feel threatened by my status or prestige as a lawyer. Plus if by some chance my work schedule impedes or gets in the way of having a loving healthy relationship I don't want my wife getting a divorce and taking my kids. For a while I thought about just adopting since I grew up in the foster care system or in vitro.

There are women who are committed and understanding of sacrifices made to get ahead. Besides this work schedule thing is within your control once you've gain some years of experience. I hope you won't be one of those black males that wear their degree on their sleeves and act as if you're God's gift to women.
Yeah, PiedPiper, you seem like the perfect candidate for marrying a lawyer. Hard to intimidate them with your professional prestige. And she'll understand the demands of work. And if you're both busy, even if your marriage falls apart joint custody would probably just be the best option. I will say, if you don't have time for a wife, you definitely don't have time for a kid, especially if you're a single parent. I'd rethink that one.

ThePiedPiper

Bronze

Post by ThePiedPiper » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:32 pm

AAJD2B wrote:

Oh no not at all. I am in no way arrogant. However, I am proud of where I came from and how hard I had to work to put myself in this position. I just have always had in the back of my mind what if the relationship doesn't workout, will she take the kids, will she find me being a lawyer intimidating. etc...

AAJD2B

Silver

Post by AAJD2B » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:33 pm

okaygo wrote:And also no, I'm definitely not only interested in black men, but in the past I've just only dated black men.

And also no I'm not Nigerian.
Oh ok. As someone who has dated non-black more than once, I can safely say there isn't anything more scrumptious than a black man.

Imma leave it at that. :oops:

I hope you're the next Clair Huxtable. :mrgreen: If you do end up in DC, be careful of the DLing that goes down. I heard its a struggle to find a suitable black male there.

mandyjay11

Silver

Post by mandyjay11 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:34 pm

AAJD2B wrote:So uhmm, is anyone thinking of being their own boss? I have this illustrious plan as I have no intention to work for someone else all of my life. I'm looking at branching out after maybe 3-5 years of corp law experience.

I've come to the realization that wealth comes from entrepreneurship and having an employer mentality. We need more entrepreneurs in black communities.

I for sure do not want to be working for someone else for the rest of my life. That idea actually scares me. I want my own business for sure, but I'm not sure what it would be.

okaygo

Silver

Post by okaygo » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:36 pm

ThePiedPiper wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:

Oh no not at all. I am in no way arrogant. However, I am proud of where I came from and how hard I had to work to put myself in this position. I just have always had in the back of my mind what if the relationship doesn't workout, will she take the kids, will she find me being a lawyer intimidating. etc...
You just need a strong women. I don't know what you're used to dating, but you need to just up your standards.

okaygo

Silver

Post by okaygo » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:37 pm

Hey since everyone's on...does anyone have any advice for my GULC interview tomorrow?! It's a group interview with the dean. Also. What do I wear? What is 'business casual'?

midnight_circus

Bronze

Post by midnight_circus » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:38 pm

AAJD2B wrote: If you do end up in DC, be careful of the DLing that goes down. I heard its a struggle to find a suitable black male there.
What is this?

AAJD2B

Silver

Post by AAJD2B » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:39 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:So uhmm, is anyone thinking of being their own boss? I have this illustrious plan as I have no intention to work for someone else all of my life. I'm looking at branching out after maybe 3-5 years of corp law experience.

I for sure do not want to be working for someone else for the rest of my life. That idea actually scares me. I want my own business for sure, but I'm not sure what it would be.
Yes! Oh, I am certain you will figure it out, especially with your certification from Wharton. :mrgreen:

AAJD2B

Silver

Post by AAJD2B » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:40 pm

midnight_circus wrote:
AAJD2B wrote: If you do end up in DC, be careful of the DLing that goes down. I heard its a struggle to find a suitable black male there.
What is this?
Downlow - Men who sex men but claim to be straight and sex/date/marry women.
Last edited by AAJD2B on Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toshiroh

Bronze

Post by toshiroh » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:40 pm

midnight_circus wrote:
1. People go to every school wanting to do PI. Columbia isn't going to ding you because they think you'd be better off at NYU. Don't worry about that aspect.

2. Unless the school specifically asks it, you don't have to say Why Law in your PS. [See: http://www.law.berkeley.edu/5188.htm and http://www.law.uchicago.edu/prospective ... lstatement] Just tell a good story that shows how you're: intelligent, a leader, motivated, whatever traits you have.

I briefly discussed an aspect of law that I find interesting, but my overall PS is about a different experience that explains some random stuff on my resume. I still think it showcases who I am and why I'll be a good lawyer than the exact reasons I want to study law. If your community service is important to you and shows off what an excellent candidate you are, go for it. If you're forcing it for the sake of "why law," pick something else.
Okay cool. Well I get so many differing opinions on this, but even my why law was just a sentence so I don't think it plays a big role in the overall quality of my PS

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”