URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
AAJD2B

Silver

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Post by AAJD2B » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:14 pm

Cocoblues wrote:I should have broken down the quotations. First, Yes, I was agreeing with allaw's post that debates about hair/skin/beauty debates are for the most part divisive, as these often lead to people tearing each other apart because of their preferences.

Secondly, I was also responding to your comment in her quote:

"one of those black folks that ignore pink elephants and act like everything is flowery for black people in this country."

It's not the first time you've made it. Each time you elevate yourself as a judge of what forms a "legitimate" AA experience. No ma'am. Not all blacks view things like you do. And they should be able to say that without you throwing the passive-aggressive denial label around.
I am well aware not all black people share the same opinions. Look at Justice Clarence Thomas. The Uncle Tom/Mammy caricatures came to fruition for a reason.

I explained where my denial comment came from but you are still dancing around this comment:
Cocoblues wrote:Still, it is not a reason to bash on lighter skin URMs who just happen to have a mixed heritage.
...which makes me believe you have no proof such "bashing" occurred and tried to make a mountain out of a molehill. It's okay though. It happens.

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:16 pm

while we're at it, we might as well delve into the use of the n-word conversation

go

AAJD2B

Silver

Post by AAJD2B » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:22 pm

toshiroh wrote:There are plenty of off topics that go on ITT. For instance talking about the Oscars, different movies that have came out, books, what everyone is going to do on the weekend, pic whoring, and so on. All of that can be said to not be the main purpose of the URM thread, yet we do it anyway. I don't see the issue with debating the topic.
Those are easy-going happy and light topics.

Dirty laundry need not be aired until....well....who knows?

Ah, but of course, not here and not now. Maybe as law students..

AAJD2B

Silver

Post by AAJD2B » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:23 pm

californiauser wrote:while we're at it, we might as well delve into the use of the n-word conversation

go
No. Don't support it's use. I can write a thesis on why. You?

BankruptMe

Silver

Post by BankruptMe » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:25 pm

On a lighter note, boosie has gotten out of jail today..or yesterday.

AAJD2B

Silver

Post by AAJD2B » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:30 pm

BankruptMe wrote:On a lighter note, boosie has gotten out of jail today..or yesterday.
Would it be crazy if I said I never heard of Boosie until now?

Any songs worth listening to?

toshiroh

Bronze

Post by toshiroh » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:31 pm

BankruptMe wrote:On a lighter note, boosie has gotten out of jail today..or yesterday.
*plays loose as a goose and bops* :lol:

toshiroh

Bronze

Post by toshiroh » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:32 pm

AAJD2B wrote:

I only know two songs... I think it would largely depend on your taste in rap.

BankruptMe

Silver

Post by BankruptMe » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:35 pm

AAJD2B wrote:

Loose as a goose usually gets the ninjas hype. lol

i like his mixtape he did with with angel lola love (or lola monroe), its called the untouchables

http://www.mixtapefactory.com/DJ-Fletch ... xjN6_mwJcQ

Cocoblues

Bronze

Post by Cocoblues » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:40 pm

AAJD2B wrote:
Cocoblues wrote:I should have broken down the quotations. First, Yes, I was agreeing with allaw's post that debates about hair/skin/beauty debates are for the most part divisive, as these often lead to people tearing each other apart because of their preferences.

Secondly, I was also responding to your comment in her quote:

"one of those black folks that ignore pink elephants and act like everything is flowery for black people in this country."

It's not the first time you've made it. Each time you elevate yourself as a judge of what forms a "legitimate" AA experience. No ma'am. Not all blacks view things like you do. And they should be able to say that without you throwing the passive-aggressive denial label around.
I am well aware not all black people share the same opinions. Look at Justice Clarence Thomas. The Uncle Tom/Mammy caricatures came to fruition for a reason.

I explained where my denial comment came from but you are still dancing around this comment:
Cocoblues wrote:Still, it is not a reason to bash on lighter skin URMs who just happen to have a mixed heritage.
...which makes me believe you have no proof such "bashing" occurred and tried to make a mountain out of a molehill. It's okay though. It happens.
Yup. In this thread, there are URMs of all shades. Blacks have culturally bought into the lie that Eurocentric features = beauty. Still, it is not a reason to bash on lighter skin URMs who just happen to have a mixed heritage. And this is coming from a cocoa-skinned girl!!!
We keep complaining about "White people" tearing us down when we do the same by vilifying each other.
Re-read what I said. In this thread there are URMs of all shades. While people often associate racism with dark-skin bashing/dislike,the damage can also be done in the opposite direction. Inevitably, you end up with a tally of X is hot/ Y isn't, which really isn't constructive. We end up sidetracked by tangents that have nothing to do with law school applications.

I think Lupita is gorgeous!! I also think Kerry is gorgeous! No need to diminish one woman's choice or skin color (whether to wear her hair natural or with a weave) to make the other stand out! I'm done.

alllaweverything

New

Post by alllaweverything » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:47 pm

here's an article that articulates some great points about lupita, her win, and black beauty as seen through white gazes:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/saeedjones/we-c ... s-we-might

i think this is the sort of conversation we may have been trying to have.

EDIT: and, nah, i didn't go searching for this lol. it just came up when i was mindlessly clicking through buzzfeed.

alllaweverything

New

Post by alllaweverything » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:50 pm

toshiroh wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:

I only know two songs... I think it would largely depend on your taste in rap.

i spent last night rejoicing about boosie's freedom

BankruptMe

Silver

Post by BankruptMe » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:53 pm

b
o
o
s
i
e
b
a
d
a
z
z

thats me

WIPE ME DOWN 8)

http://www.tmz.com/2014/03/05/lil-boosi ... g-charges/

mandyjay11

Silver

Post by mandyjay11 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:58 pm

BankruptMe wrote:b
o
o
s
i
e
b
a
d
a
z
z

thats me

WIPE ME DOWN 8)

http://www.tmz.com/2014/03/05/lil-boosi ... g-charges/
Rapped this out loud and got hype instantly! That's still a good club song. Love Boosie

Futuregohan14

Bronze

Post by Futuregohan14 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:59 pm

Black_Swan wrote:

Are you all dudes?
U would be surprised what "wonders" fake hair can do. :mrgreen:
The lady is fine. Really.
Don't make me put my photoshop skills to use now.
ya i'm a dude

an ya i know all about what fake hair can do...and what makeup can do...and what heels can do...and what push-up bras can do...
alllaweverything wrote:but anywho... why is it that whenever black people congregate (even on a law school forum), we have to get into light-skinned/dark-skinned and permed/natural debates?

lol come on, y'all.
1. slavery
2. one drop rule
alllaweverything wrote:
that's exactly it - people are entitled to their personal perceptions of beauty, but when we start comparing a dark-skinned black woman with natural hair to a man, we're subconsciously feeding into the conditioning you're talking about (wherein the further a woman is from white standards of beauty, the less feminine, desirable, etc. we consider her).
if she looks like a bro, she looks like a bro. it is what it is
El Principe wrote:Look, it ain't about color. There are plenty of "dark skinned" women from both the States and Africa who look much much better than her. But personally, I don't like differentiating between light, dark, etc. skin tones. It's stupid to me.

Same thing with natural hair. There are plenty of more attractive women with either, natural, short, or bald hair who look better than her.

I think people just gravitate towards her because of her complexion rather than checking to see if she actually looks that good. You could go on photoshop and lighten her skin tone and it wouldn't change a thing. I think the skin color argument is a cop out.

Like I said, don't get me wrong she's cute, but stop using color or hair as a defense when people don't drool over her.

Futuregohan14

Bronze

Post by Futuregohan14 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:00 pm

nabadgelyo wrote:
That's absolutely true, and I appreciate you saying that.

I do have to say, though, that it touches a nerve when Gohan compares a dark-skinned black woman with natural hair to a man. I wonder how we would react if he weren't a self-identified black man; something tells me we wouldn't brush it aside and accept that kind of post in the same way. Just sayin'
so because she's dark-skinned, black and has natural hair I can't point out the fact that she kind of looks like a bro?

there are light skinned women who look like bros too. There are white women who look like bros. i'd point that out if I saw them. but you want me not to point it out in this case because lupita is dark skinned?

nabadgelyo wrote:
ThePiedPiper wrote:
okaygo wrote:As a light skinned women (who is extremely proud of her creamy crack *flips hair*) I object to the idea that both women can't be beautiful. I love Lupita AND Kerry.
+1 not to mention this whole dark skin vs light skin debate and standard of beauty just feeds into the whole slave mentality.
I agree with you. I hope we can all agree, however, that posts like some of Gohan's are out of bounds for precisely this reason. Even if he's not "serious."
where did i start a dark skin vs. light skin debate? i didn't say anything about Lupita's skin. I just said she kind of looks like a footballer (which she does). there are lighter women who also look like footballers and I'd point them out too. would that also be "out of bounds"?

or is it only "out of bounds" to fail to speak glowingly about people you like/identify with?
Last edited by Futuregohan14 on Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Futuregohan14

Bronze

Post by Futuregohan14 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:00 pm

AAJD2B wrote:
nabadgelyo wrote: That's absolutely true, and I appreciate you saying that.

I do have to say, though, that it touches a nerve when Gohan compares a dark-skinned black woman with natural hair to a man. I wonder how we would react if he weren't a self-identified black man; something tells me we wouldn't brush it aside and accept that kind of post in the same way. Just sayin'
Just another Kneegro trying to tear black women down.

He rather the weaves and wigs than a natural goddess.

Kerry bare versus Lupita bare....then let's compare.
so let me get this straight

because i did not speak glowingly about Lupita, I now am a "kneegro" (lol) trying to tear down ALL black women?

does Lupita now represent ALL black women?

last I checked, Kerry was black too...

AAJD2B

Silver

Post by AAJD2B » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:05 pm

Futuregohan14 wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:
nabadgelyo wrote: That's absolutely true, and I appreciate you saying that.

Just another Kneegro trying to tear black women down.

He rather the weaves and wigs than a natural goddess.

Kerry bare versus Lupita bare....then let's compare.
so let me get this straight

because i did not speak glowingly about Lupita, I now am a "kneegro" (lol) trying to tear down ALL black women?

does Lupita now represent ALL black women?

last I checked, Kerry was black too...
Tear down one, tear down all, especially when you start comparing the woman to men.

Future, not me and you this evening, eh.

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:31 pm

Last edited by runinthefront on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Futuregohan14

Bronze

Post by Futuregohan14 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:47 pm

AAJD2B wrote:

Tear down one, tear down all, especially when you start comparing the woman to men.
so when I lift one (ex: kerry) I lift them all, right?

black women are not a monolith and neither are black men. that is a conflation that disrespects the inherent intellectual, ethnic, and physical diversity within said groups and the individuals who each contribute to that diversity in their own way. this should be respected. people are individuals and should be treated accordingly.
Future, not me and you this evening, eh.

nabadgelyo

Bronze

Post by nabadgelyo » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:06 pm

Last edited by nabadgelyo on Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AAJD2B

Silver

Post by AAJD2B » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:07 pm

Futuregohan14 wrote:so when I lift one (ex: kerry) I lift them all, right?
Absolutely.
Futuregohan14 wrote:black women are not a monolith and neither are black men. that is a conflation that disrespects the inherent intellectual, ethnic, and physical diversity within said groups and the individuals who each contribute to that diversity in their own way. this should be respected. people are individuals and should be treated accordingly.
Tell me, Gohan, is this how we are viewed in America?? Is this how the media views and treats us? What about law enforcement? Heck, even law school admissions in their dire attempt to have more black faces on their campus and communities. Black is black in America. A misstep by one is viewed as a misstep by all. A win for one, is a win for all. Serena Williams win the US Open, most black people rejoice. President Obama won the a Presidency, that's our win too.

Stereotypes came about because society take the example of few to label all. Your comment about Lupita is not just about Lupita but the many black women who are viewed "not as fine as" because of hair choice or skin color or whatever it is you believe defines fine-ness that Lupita does not possess.

Which begs of me to ask, what makes Lupita any less fine than Kerry?? What is it about her that makes her manly or like a footballer?? What makes her less feminine?? What standard are you using in judging the fine-o-meter of women, specifically black women??

mandyjay11

Silver

Post by mandyjay11 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:13 pm

Ok friends, sorry to interrupt. I just want to know if anyone in here is seriously considering Howard or not? If you dont want to post in here just PM me pleaseeeee

BankruptMe

Silver

Post by BankruptMe » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:16 pm

AAJD2B wrote:
Futuregohan14 wrote:so when I lift one (ex: kerry) I lift them all, right?
Absolutely.
Futuregohan14 wrote:black women are not a monolith and neither are black men. that is a conflation that disrespects the inherent intellectual, ethnic, and physical diversity within said groups and the individuals who each contribute to that diversity in their own way. this should be respected. people are individuals and should be treated accordingly.
Tell me, Gohan, is this how we are viewed in America?? Is this how the media views and treats us? What about law enforcement? Heck, even law school admissions in their dire attempt to have more black faces on their campus and communities. Black is black in America. A misstep by one is viewed as a misstep by all. A win for one, is a win for all. Serena Williams win the US Open, most black people rejoice. President Obama won the a Presidency, that's our win too.

Stereotypes came about because society take the example of few to label all. Your comment about Lupita is not just about Lupita but the many black women who are viewed "not as fine as" because of hair choice or skin color or whatever it is you believe defines fine-ness that Lupita does not possess.

Which begs of me to ask, what makes Lupita any less fine than Kerry?? What is it about her that makes her manly or like a footballer?? What makes her less feminine?? What standard are you using in judging the fine-o-meter of women, specifically black women??
I feel like a fuse has been lit.

Don't mess with them afro-carribean women. as a man of this heritage, you do not rile them up. That is asking for death lmao

LawSchoolOrNah

New

Post by LawSchoolOrNah » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:35 pm

I blame this on a lack of movement. Carry on.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”