URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
AAJD2B

Silver

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Post by AAJD2B » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:22 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:I thought they gave me one already... I guess this is based off October scores?
Yup hun. 8)

Dr.Zer0

Silver

Post by Dr.Zer0 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:24 pm

I got a second one from UVA, still haven't gotten one from Cornell =/. I wish we could trade fee waivers like Pokemon cards.

MoMettaMonk

Silver

Post by MoMettaMonk » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:29 pm

Dr.Zer0 wrote:I got a second one from UVA, still haven't gotten one from Cornell =/. I wish we could trade fee waivers like Pokemon cards.
I would happily trade a 1st edition Charizard for an NYU waiver right about now.

mandyjay11

Silver

Post by mandyjay11 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:31 pm

MoMettaMonk wrote:
Dr.Zer0 wrote:I got a second one from UVA, still haven't gotten one from Cornell =/. I wish we could trade fee waivers like Pokemon cards.
I would happily trade a 1st edition Charizard for an NYU waiver right about now.

Oh man I was the master Pokemon card collector. I had a limited edition mewtwo that I had to trade for playground protection from a bully. That was a sad sad day.

EstebanMFernandez

New

Post by EstebanMFernandez » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:36 pm

Still no bigtime Fee waivers for me.... it's starting to eat at my soul

mandyjay11

Silver

Post by mandyjay11 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:38 pm

EstebanMFernandez wrote:Still no bigtime Fee waivers for me.... it's starting to eat at my soul

If your stats are what your positing history says, then I am confused about this... is you CRS active and your transcripts up-to-date and submitted?

Also, did you say you are applying this cycle?

EstebanMFernandez

New

Post by EstebanMFernandez » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:07 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:
EstebanMFernandez wrote:Still no bigtime Fee waivers for me.... it's starting to eat at my soul

If your stats are what your positing history says, then I am confused about this... is you CRS active and your transcripts up-to-date and submitted?

Ahh so my Transcripts need to be submitted? Ugh, I am really getting frustrated. It's been a month and my UG hasn't sent in my transcripts yet... apparently they had a huge backlog of transcripts to send. Hopefully it gets in ASAP. My apps are all ready to go. Diversity statements, Why x, PS, LSAT.

Oh and another question. My cousin is on the board of admissions for UPENN law school. Is that something that I have to disclose?

mandyjay11

Silver

Post by mandyjay11 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:11 pm

EstebanMFernandez wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:

Ahh so my Transcripts need to be submitted? Ugh, I am really getting frustrated. It's been a month and my UG hasn't sent in my transcripts yet... apparently they had a huge backlog of transcripts to send. Hopefully it gets in ASAP. My apps are all ready to go. Diversity statements, Why x, PS, LSAT.

Oh and another question. My cousin is on the board of admissions for UPENN law school. Is that something that I have to disclose?
Yeah, I think you need transcripts for a real GPA from LSAC

hmmmm I think your cousin would know that and they would recuse themselves from reviewing your application. But, I would disclose it just so you cover your bases.

MoMettaMonk

Silver

Post by MoMettaMonk » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:12 pm

EstebanMFernandez wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:

Doesn't the app ask if you have any close relatives who have a connection to UPenn? Also even without the official transcript as long as you have your GPA range marked in CRS then you should be able to get some fee waivers.

Quan292

Bronze

Post by Quan292 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:55 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:
Oh man I was the master Pokemon card collector. I had a limited edition mewtwo that I had to trade for playground protection from a bully. That was a sad sad day.
Wait what? lol please explain. Did the bully want the card or someone who was going to stop the bully want the card in exchange for his duties?

Also this thread moves type fast but everytime I stop by I die laughing. Thumbs up you frequent contributors.

Dr.Zer0

Silver

Post by Dr.Zer0 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:01 pm

Quan292 wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:
Wait what? lol please explain. Did the bully want the card or someone who was going to stop the bully want the card in exchange for his duties?

Also this thread moves type fast but everytime I stop by I die laughing. Thumbs up you frequent contributors.
Srsly! I though these things only happened in movies and prison. Once you become an attorney you should find that kid and sue him.

MoMettaMonk

Silver

Post by MoMettaMonk » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:05 pm

Dr.Zer0 wrote:
Quan292 wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:

Srsly! I though these things only happened in movies and prison. Once you become an attorney you should find that kid and sue him.
Judge Judy would say that's emotional distress.

mandyjay11

Silver

Post by mandyjay11 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:08 pm

Dr.Zer0 wrote:
Quan292 wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:

So I had an elementary/middle school bully and I had to trade the card to another kid that promised to help protect me from the bully who was like a 6'0 huge, red headed girl and only black child in an all white school k-8 so yeah...this happens and I had to give up a valuable pokemon collectable for my own safety (also, the guy helping me turned out to be a guy she had a crush on so he told her to back off and she did with the hopes of him liking her back) I wish I could make this up

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:39 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:
Dr.Zer0 wrote:
Quan292 wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:

So I had an elementary/middle school bully and I had to trade the card to another kid that promised to help protect me from the bully who was like a 6'0 huge, red headed girl and only black child in an all white school k-8 so yeah...this happens and I had to give up a valuable pokemon collectable for my own safety (also, the guy helping me turned out to be a guy she had a crush on so he told her to back off and she did with the hopes of him liking her back) I wish I could make this up
Did you include this in your diversity statement?

lemons

Bronze

Post by lemons » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:49 pm

just opened my email to fee waivers from cornell and tulane (and an email from my mom about one that came in the mail from Michigan) and an email from Harvard!! I know it means nothing but it still makes my heart beat a little faster :mrgreen:

also, i'm thinking about not posting after i reach 180 (until the december exam is over) i'm just a bit superstitious :lol:

midnight_circus

Bronze

Post by midnight_circus » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:54 pm

californiauser wrote: Did you include this in your diversity statement?
LOL. This. If I were adcomm, I'd laugh so hard I'd let you in for your personality/sense of humor and then eagerly await the news coverage 4 years later when you sued the bastards. :lol:

okaygo

Silver

Post by okaygo » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:55 pm

I got the Cornell waiver too, and the email from Harvard definitely made my day. Bummed it didn't include a fee waiver though, but of course it didn't.

mandyjay11

Silver

Post by mandyjay11 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:58 pm

I didn't because I thought the whole bullying bit was passe/overdone this cycle... is it even interesting enough for that?

AAJD2B

Silver

Post by AAJD2B » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:59 pm

okaygo wrote:I got the Cornell waiver too, and the email from Harvard definitely made my day. Bummed it didn't include a fee waiver though, but of course it didn't.
Harvard needs to quit playing games with my heart. I jumped when I saw that email. Harvard, I love yooouuuu!!

applelover

Gold

Post by applelover » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:00 pm

AAJD2B wrote:
okaygo wrote:I got the Cornell waiver too, and the email from Harvard definitely made my day. Bummed it didn't include a fee waiver though, but of course it didn't.
Harvard needs to quit playing games with my heart. I jumped when I saw that email. Harvard, I love yooouuuu!!

What did the email say?

okaygo

Silver

Post by okaygo » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:01 pm

AAJD2B wrote:
Exactly, I'm in a lecture hall and gasped loudly and everyone turned and stared at me. And my friend was like "oh she just got an email from Harvard Law, no big deal" :lol:

MoMettaMonk

Silver

Post by MoMettaMonk » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:02 pm

okaygo wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:
Exactly, I'm in a lecture hall and gasped loudly and everyone turned and stared at me. And my friend was like "oh she just got an email from Harvard Law, no big deal" :lol:
I have to admit, it's pretty great being able to drop the H-bomb from time to time. Now if only they'd email me for a JS1...

okaygo

Silver

Post by okaygo » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:05 pm

applelover wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:

What did the email say?
Nothing really, it was just encouraging me to apply and explore more about HLS. The same old.

okaygo

Silver

Post by okaygo » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:05 pm

MoMettaMonk wrote:
okaygo wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:
I have to admit, it's pretty great being able to drop the H-bomb from time to time. Now if only they'd email me for a JS1...
Right, that email might have just convinced me to drop the 85 on the application because...why not?

midnight_circus

Bronze

Post by midnight_circus » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:07 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:

I didn't because I thought the whole bullying bit was passe/overdone this cycle... is it even interesting enough for that?
I sincerely doubt it. I find the entire situation deeply amusing, but my *genuine* advice is not to discuss pokemon extortion in any part of your application.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”