URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
kenwash

Bronze

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Post by kenwash » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:08 pm

El Principe wrote:Came to grips with reality. I'm PTing the exact same as what I made on my last LSAT, so I think I'm going to pull out of the December date because I have way too much to do in terms of graduation, school, & finishing my PS/DS/WhyX statements before Thanksgiving.

My backup plan is going to work if I get a good enough job or do grad school for a year and hopefully, now with that 20/20 hindsight, put in much more studying effort and make the score I should have gotten.

This is all assuming I can't get significant $$$ at somewhere like SMU, Houston, Alabama, etc... but the way I see it, as good as those schools are regionally, I'd rather not take the risk and significantly add on to my undergraduate debt when a bump to something like a 165 makes a tremendous difference.

So my question is, if I apply somewhere and get accepted/denied, but I want to hold out for a year, what happens, especially in the case of a denial. Can you reapply? Are they more likely to deny again if you can despite a hypothetically higher score & stronger app? I need to know this before I even consider applying to the top schools that sent me a fee waiver.
If you don't get into those schools, be prepared to write completely different personal and diversity statements. They do compare the old ones with the new. Many schools explicitly say to write new statements.

applelover

Gold

Post by applelover » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:33 pm

The waiting game for decisions is nerve wracking. I don't even check my status checkers anymore because I know I won't hear back from Columbia, Penn, or NYU before December.

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:14 pm

applelover wrote:The waiting game for decisions is nerve wracking. I don't even check my status checkers anymore because I know I won't hear back from Columbia, Penn, or NYU before December.
x2. I still check Michigan everyday, though. Virginia's is pretty pointless since it doesn't give any status updates.

applelover

Gold

Post by applelover » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:17 pm

californiauser wrote:
applelover wrote:The waiting game for decisions is nerve wracking. I don't even check my status checkers anymore because I know I won't hear back from Columbia, Penn, or NYU before December.
x2. I still check Michigan everyday, though. Virginia's is pretty pointless since it doesn't give any status updates.
My whole day was ruined when I discovered 1. that I could potentially be held or WL'ed after my JS1 and won't know for a month and 2. last year Stanford did not start releasing decisions until January! January!!!!

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:23 pm

applelover wrote:
californiauser wrote:
My whole day was ruined when I discovered 1. that I could potentially be held or WL'ed after my JS1 and won't know for a month and 2. last year Stanford did not start releasing decisions until January! January!!!!
Yeah, you're certainly going to be waiting a while for Stanford. Hey, you got a JS1, you should chill out a little :lol:

Plus, you're in at Vandy.

mandyjay11

Silver

Post by mandyjay11 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:27 pm

californiauser wrote:
applelover wrote:
californiauser wrote:
Yeah, you're certainly going to be waiting a while for Stanford. Hey, you got a JS1, you should chill out a little :lol:

You both are going to do just great! I'm going to pass the waiting time by trying out some new recipes.

okaygo

Silver

Post by okaygo » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:44 pm

I guess I'm the only one that's not frantic about this process. I just figure I'll know when I know. Me frantically checking won't change anything. Plus, I'm going to spend this time applying for jobs in case I change my mind and want to do that post-ug.

John_rizzy_rawls

Gold

Post by John_rizzy_rawls » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:46 pm

That's the one (and probably only) good thing about applying a bit later - less waiting.

applelover

Gold

Post by applelover » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:05 pm

californiauser wrote:
applelover wrote:
californiauser wrote:

IDK that Vandy package hasn't come yet.

applelover

Gold

Post by applelover » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:06 pm

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:That's the one (and probably only) good thing about applying a bit later - less waiting.

lol. I guess that's nice! But it's also less slots available.

Mojosodope

Silver

Post by Mojosodope » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:43 pm

applelover wrote:
californiauser wrote:
applelover wrote:
californiauser wrote:

Vandy doesn't release rejections in November.

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:46 pm

applelover wrote:IDK that Vandy package hasn't come yet.
You're in. Get ready for 5 lbs of reading materials. I still haven't gotten through all of it.

applelover

Gold

Post by applelover » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:51 pm

Mojosodope wrote:
applelover wrote:
Vandy doesn't release rejections in November.
I know lol.

toshiroh

Bronze

Post by toshiroh » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:55 pm

I struggled on grouping games today for some reason. Sigh.... heres to 10 fresh copies

Brettanomyces

Bronze

Post by Brettanomyces » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:02 pm

okaygo wrote:I guess I'm the only one that's not frantic about this process. I just figure I'll know when I know. Me frantically checking won't change anything. Plus, I'm going to spend this time applying for jobs in case I change my mind and want to do that post-ug.
Psh. I don't care. It's whatever.

Of course, I'm yet to submit my apps.

mandyjay11

Silver

Post by mandyjay11 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:02 pm

Brettanomyces wrote:
okaygo wrote:I guess I'm the only one that's not frantic about this process. I just figure I'll know when I know. Me frantically checking won't change anything. Plus, I'm going to spend this time applying for jobs in case I change my mind and want to do that post-ug.

Lol you don't counttt

Brettanomyces

Bronze

Post by Brettanomyces » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:06 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:
Brettanomyces wrote:

Lol you don't counttt
Haha. I think if I gave a little bit more of a shit, all of my apps would be submitted by now.

Let me cite something about how URMs don't receive decisions until late as hell.

Meh. Too lazy. Nap. Nap. Drink. Finish apps.

applelover

Gold

Post by applelover » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:27 pm

Omg. People have already gotten into Stanford already! *commence panic* that's two months earlier than last year.

Brettanomyces

Bronze

Post by Brettanomyces » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:29 pm

applelover wrote:Omg. People have already gotten into Stanford already! *commence panic* that's two months earlier than last year.

Are we buying this whole "they've stopped caring about the LSAT" noise?

Or are we buying the "their median LSAT went up by a point."

Come on--we've got to buy something!

EvMont

Bronze

Post by EvMont » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:55 pm

I'm with okaygo on this.
One of the worst parts of forums like this is that we get a very small and fairly opaque window into other people's cycles. Then we start comparing ourself to them and start drawing crazy patterns of reasoning that only make sense our minds...I can't have all that stress in my life. You'll hear when you hear, and whatever is going to happen will happen. That'll be my attitude...You know, just as soon as I start submitting those apps. 8) :lol: :wink:

Dr.Zer0

Silver

Post by Dr.Zer0 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:38 pm

applelover wrote:Omg. People have already gotten into Stanford already! *commence panic* that's two months earlier than last year.
And I'm just over here still taking PTs :oops:

toshiroh

Bronze

Post by toshiroh » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:56 pm

Dr.Zer0 wrote:

+1 and I still ain't got no worries lol

Dr.Zer0

Silver

Post by Dr.Zer0 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:15 am

toshiroh wrote:
Dr.Zer0 wrote:

+1 and I still ain't got no worries lol
We're gonna be fine :D

toshiroh

Bronze

Post by toshiroh » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:40 am

Ughhh I need to stop second guessing myself on Reading comp. 75% of my wrong answers are answers that I erased and changed. I understand the passage perfectly, but when I find the answer easily, Im always like, "No, they wouldn't make it this easy on the 4th passage. There must be some underlying logic that I'm missing. And then I change the answer to some convoluted answer that I made work in my head. :roll:

August Wilson

Silver

Post by August Wilson » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:10 am

toshiroh wrote:Ughhh I need to stop second guessing myself on Reading comp. 75% of my wrong answers are answers that I erased and changed. I understand the passage perfectly, but when I find the answer easily, Im always like, "No, they wouldn't make it this easy on the 4th passage. There must be some underlying logic that I'm missing. And then I change the answer to some convoluted answer that I made work in my head. :roll:
Yeah second guessing yourself, especially on RC, can be a killer. While it's tricky, I think people make RC too hard for themselves by over thinking.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”