URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Black_Swan

Bronze

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Post by Black_Swan » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:41 am

So do we have a spreadsheet yet?

Dr.Zer0

Silver

Post by Dr.Zer0 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:46 am

Congrats okaygo!!!

Black_Swan

Bronze

Post by Black_Swan » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:57 am

okaygo wrote:Guys I GOT INTO GEORGETOWN!!!!!!!!!!!
Congrats and good job on the retake!
So did you take December as well?

Futuregohan14

Bronze

Post by Futuregohan14 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:14 am

wow
such completed cycle
great success
much excite
set high goals
met them completely
such excellence
much foresight
many perseverance
okaygo hoya
wow

wlee1220

Bronze

Post by wlee1220 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:33 am

I'm thinking....I was going to wait until I got my score back before I sent out any t14 apps but I wonder if it makes sense to begin sending those out now and just have them wait until I get my scores back...thoughts?

And congrats again everyone!!!

Dr.Zer0

Silver

Post by Dr.Zer0 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:15 am

[Redacted]
Last edited by Dr.Zer0 on Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

midnight_circus

Bronze

Post by midnight_circus » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:25 am

I've been somewhat behind in my media consumption, but have we seen this? http://www.mercurynews.com/california/c ... -test-data

We can't argue about affirmative action because that breaks the forum rules and stuff. Just thought that you guys would find it interesting, especially given the much earlier conversations about Sander/UCLA.

Personally, as long as every reasonable (and unreasonable) measure is taken to protect individual privacy, I approve of the release. Government records should be public records, in part for research projects like these. More information is always better, especially when there's policy and individual opportunity at stake. He's going in with such a clear bias I'll be somewhat critical of his findings, but once the information is out there anyone can analyze it. Which I think is positive.

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:30 am

midnight_circus wrote:I've been somewhat behind in my media consumption, but have we seen this? http://www.mercurynews.com/california/c ... -test-data

We can't argue about affirmative action because that breaks the forum rules and stuff. Just thought that you guys would find it interesting, especially given the much earlier conversations about Sander/UCLA.

Personally, as long as every reasonable (and unreasonable) measure is taken to protect individual privacy, I approve of the release. Government records should be public records, in part for research projects like these. More information is always better, especially when there's policy and individual opportunity at stake. He's going in with such a clear bias I'll be somewhat critical of his findings, but once the information is out there anyone can analyze it. Which I think is positive.
Wow, this is certainly interesting. This whole issue seems to be building up to something huge. I have to admit, this is enough to dissuade me from attending UCLA. The climate of all of this seems ridiculously distracting for UCLA URM law students.

okaygo

Silver

Post by okaygo » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:57 am

Black_Swan wrote:
okaygo wrote:
Guys I GOT INTO GEORGETOWN!!!!!!!!!!!
Congrats and good job on the retake!
So did you take December as well?

Nope, October was my only retake.

okaygo

Silver

Post by okaygo » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:58 am

Futuregohan14 wrote:

wow
such completed cycle
great success
much excite
set high goals
met them completely
such excellence
much foresight
many perseverance
okaygo hoya
wow
And thank you to Gohan and the rest of TLS family.
'Okaygo hoya' made me laugh

applelover

Gold

Post by applelover » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:02 am

okaygo wrote:

Congratulations!!!! I'm so happy for you.

kenwash

Bronze

Post by kenwash » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:23 am

okaygo wrote:
Futuregohan14 wrote:

wow
such completed cycle
great success
much excite
set high goals
met them completely
such excellence
much foresight
many perseverance
okaygo hoya
wow
Okaygo how many application complete status changes did you have? I'm on to my second status change. Seems like 3-4 changes are expected before acceptance news

okaygo

Silver

Post by okaygo » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:50 pm

kenwash wrote:
okaygo wrote:
Futuregohan14 wrote:

wow
such completed cycle
great success
much excite
set high goals
met them completely
such excellence
much foresight
many perseverance
okaygo hoya
wow
Okaygo how many application complete status changes did you have? I'm on to my second status change. Seems like 3-4 changes are expected before acceptance news
I had three status changes.
First was the complete on some date.
Then I got the interview request (done on 12/9)
Second status changes 12/13
Application Completed on 12/16 (letter postmarked on 12/16 as well)
Received 12/20

okaygo

Silver

Post by okaygo » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:50 pm

applelover wrote:
okaygo wrote:

Congratulations!!!! I'm so happy for you.
Thanks apple!!!

toshiroh

Bronze

Post by toshiroh » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:57 pm

Congrats okaygo, amazing accomplishment!

NanaP

Bronze

Post by NanaP » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:00 pm

midnight_circus wrote:I've been somewhat behind in my media consumption, but have we seen this? http://www.mercurynews.com/california/c ... -test-data

I kind of agree with you that it can be helpful for policy reasons etc.....I just read Sanders article, and personally, I think Sanders is off base here. It's well known that having a more diverse institution whether it's a company or a university is much more conducive to the overall health of a corporation or educational experience for everyone. Most schools have almost 70% filled with white students, what more do white folks want?? Is it so bad to give URM's from non affluent backgrounds a chance at elite universities?? The notion that a black student with lower test scores is taking the place of a white or asian applicant is not true at all......This whole argument is so dumb...

NanaP

Bronze

Post by NanaP » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:01 pm

congrats okaygo on your great cycle!

flowerhair789

New

Post by flowerhair789 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:09 pm

Congrats, Okaygo!!!!

midnight_circus

Bronze

Post by midnight_circus » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:04 pm

californiauser wrote:

Wow, this is certainly interesting. This whole issue seems to be building up to something huge. I have to admit, this is enough to dissuade me from attending UCLA. The climate of all of this seems ridiculously distracting for UCLA URM law students.
Damn straight. What little interest I had in applying is long gone.

August Wilson

Silver

Post by August Wilson » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:23 pm

midnight_circus wrote:
californiauser wrote:

Damn straight. What little interest I had in applying is long gone.
Exactly. This is how I feel about all of the UC schools.

Black_Swan

Bronze

Post by Black_Swan » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:11 am

ttime97

New

Post by ttime97 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:36 am

First - congrats to all the admits! :mrgreen:
Black_Swan wrote:So do we have a spreadsheet yet?
I'm a lurker but I thought this question was interesting. What would the spreadsheet show? Numbers and schools all in one place? It would be VERY intersting/revealing to see how the urm cycle plays out...

midnight_circus

Bronze

Post by midnight_circus » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:19 am

ttime97 wrote:First - congrats to all the admits! :mrgreen:
Black_Swan wrote:So do we have a spreadsheet yet?
I'm a lurker but I thought this question was interesting. What would the spreadsheet show? Numbers and schools all in one place? It would be VERY intersting/revealing to see how the urm cycle plays out...
I imagine she had something like this http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 7&t=219901 in mind?
Some of the Harvard analytics are urm-excluded because we might skew the stats. URM data is going into/influencing certain calculations, but not all. The rest are inclusive. We could certainly have our own, but I fail pretty hard at xcel analytics so I wouldn't be the one building it.

Edited: Corrected an error in my discussion of the spreadsheets.

Black_Swan

Bronze

Post by Black_Swan » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:20 pm

Yes, nothing fancy. Just one spreadsheet. Working something out and will hopefully get one soon!
Also congrats to all the newly admits!

toshiroh

Bronze

Post by toshiroh » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:29 pm

Anyone applying to Columbia? I haven't heard much about it in this thread.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”