URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
mandyjay11

Silver

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Post by mandyjay11 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:11 pm

MoMettaMonk wrote:
applelover wrote:For the people in relationships: Does your SO plan on moving with you to law school? Or are you only applying to schools around where you all currently reside?

For all the single people: let's go to HH together.
Yes. If there isn't an URM thread HH I will be highly disappointed.

+1 for happy hour... I think taken people should come too, y'all just have to sit on the other side of the bar so I can get my mack on

lol JK...kinda

MoMettaMonk

Silver

Post by MoMettaMonk » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:12 pm

iza3nee wrote:Good Afternoon Everyone,
I know I am really late to the party and have been reading the thread trying to catch up.
Just wanted to chime in....

Got accepted to GWU on Tuesday (where I really want to go), same day got an email from GULC for a group interview. Like a lot of other people here I got the email from Harvard BLSA on Wednesday (is that a good thing and how good of a thing is it?)

Like I said I know I am late to the party so please excuse any redundancies.
Congrats on GWU and the GULC interview invite. I wouldn't read too much into the Harvard BLSA email, but it's not a bad sign at all. Depending on your numbers/softs it might be worth it to pay the app fee to find out, but schools sending or not sending email blasts and fee waivers to applicants isn't predictive of an acceptance.

applelover

Gold

Post by applelover » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:13 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:
MoMettaMonk wrote:
applelover wrote:For the people in relationships: Does your SO plan on moving with you to law school? Or are you only applying to schools around where you all currently reside?

Yes. If there isn't an URM thread HH I will be highly disappointed.

+1 for happy hour... I think taken people should come too, y'all just have to sit on the other side of the bar so I can get my mack on

lol JK...kinda
Didn't mean to exclude the taken folks. Y'all are welcome as well. But leave your SO at home lol.

iza3nee

New

Post by iza3nee » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:13 pm

applelover wrote:
I know I am really late to the party and have been reading the thread trying to catch up.

Got accepted to GWU on Tuesday (where I really want to go), same day got an email from GULC for a group interview. Like a lot of other people here I got the email from Harvard BLSA on Wednesday (is that a good thing and how good of a thing is it?)

Congrats on GWU!

I think the Harvard BLSA thing is neutral. It's not good it's not bad. BLSA probably got your info through CRS

That's pretty much what I figured. I've looked thru the forum about the GULC "group interview" and of course peopel say go and it's a good thing but wondering has anyone here been to one/know someone who went to one?

applelover

Gold

Post by applelover » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:15 pm

iza3nee wrote:
applelover wrote:

Congrats on GWU!

I think the Harvard BLSA thing is neutral. It's not good it's not bad. BLSA probably got your info through CRS

That's pretty much what I figured. I've looked thru the forum about the GULC "group interview" and of course peopel say go and it's a good thing but wondering has anyone here been to one/know someone who went to one?
I went to one and was accepted. It's really chill and there's no way to prepare for it like other interviews because Dean Cornblatt just wants to see how you interact with others and express yourself.

iza3nee

New

Post by iza3nee » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:19 pm

MoMettaMonk wrote:

Congrats on GWU and the GULC interview invite. I wouldn't read too much into the Harvard BLSA email, but it's not a bad sign at all. Depending on your numbers/softs it might be worth it to pay the app fee to find out, but schools sending or not sending email blasts and fee waivers to applicants isn't predictive of an acceptance.

Thanks MoMettaMonk. I know Harvard is the Holy Grail/Mecca of law schools, so I'll pay the $85+ just as a shot. Nothing to lose but a lil cash. I am fine with GWU as it's IP program is ranked 4th in the nation and I already work at law firm out here in the DC metro area and do not want to give up my place here. Yes I know to most that will sound 'small-minded' sounds that I am "missing the bigger picture" scope of things but it's the reality of things.

iza3nee

New

Post by iza3nee » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:21 pm

applelover wrote: I went to one and was accepted. It's really chill and there's no way to prepare for it like other interviews because Dean Cornblatt just wants to see how you interact with others and express yourself.

Awesome I was just curious I've asked people here at my firm and even the recruiting director here and they never heard of it so I was just wondering.

August Wilson

Silver

Post by August Wilson » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:54 pm

Probably going to be back doing long distance again unless I stay in New York. :cry: But it will be fine in the end. We've done it before and it was fine so I'm not really worried about it.

Mojosodope

Silver

Post by Mojosodope » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:35 pm

i truly love you all.

i will be absent until after tomorrows damn test. good luck everyone.

August Wilson

Silver

Post by August Wilson » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:39 pm

Mojosodope wrote:i truly love you all.

Kick its ass.

applelover

Gold

Post by applelover » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:57 pm

Good luck!!!

mandyjay11

Silver

Post by mandyjay11 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:05 pm

GOODLUCK tomorrow!

MoMettaMonk

Silver

Post by MoMettaMonk » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:12 pm

Good luck to all the December takers and retakers. As many posts about PTs that I've seen in this thread, I know that you all are ready to destroy this test.

ThePiedPiper

Bronze

Post by ThePiedPiper » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:16 pm

Good luck tomorrow. Your going to do fine and rock the test

kenwash

Bronze

Post by kenwash » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:01 pm

Good luck to all taking the test tomorrow!!

alpwilliams

New

Post by alpwilliams » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:05 pm

What's up all... I've been lurking on this post... lol and well, I'm pretty jealous of apple. Good luck to everyone tomorrow who is sitting for the lsat.

applelover

Gold

Post by applelover » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:07 pm

alpwilliams wrote:What's up all... I've been lurking on this post... lol and well, I'm pretty jealous of apple. Good luck to everyone tomorrow who is sitting for the lsat.
Hiiii...Jealous of me? :shock: why?

applelover

Gold

Post by applelover » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:15 pm

I hope after the LSAT this thread livens up again.

kenwash

Bronze

Post by kenwash » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:29 pm

Anyone caught in the snow storm going through the mid west? The LSATs in my area are cancelled.

John_rizzy_rawls

Gold

Post by John_rizzy_rawls » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:39 pm

My SO will go where I go but if it's back east it's gonna be real rough.

applelover

Gold

Post by applelover » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:48 pm

kenwash wrote:Anyone caught in the snow storm going through the mid west? The LSATs in my area are cancelled.
I haven't stepped outside today. *runs to look out window* oh no its snowing!

&& Rizzy why will it be tough? Does he/She have a transferable job or no?
Last edited by applelover on Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

applelover

Gold

Post by applelover » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:49 pm

On an unrelated note, I don't like when people try to compare things to URMs on this forum or the Civil Rights movement (IRL). Because typically the things that they are trying to compare to either, I find incomparable.

midnight_circus

Bronze

Post by midnight_circus » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:07 pm

applelover wrote:On an unrelated note, I hate when people try to compare things to URMs on this forum or the Civil Rights movement (IRL). Because typically the things that they are trying to compare to either, I find incomparable.
What do you mean?

applelover

Gold

Post by applelover » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:11 pm

Like 2 times today someone on TLS tried to compare the URM thread to other threads
1. To compare the URM thread to the 2013-14 waiters thread
2. To compare the URM thread to a splitters thread

And IRL people say it to me all the time " well isn't this just like the civil rights movement" "dude no it is not"

midnight_circus

Bronze

Post by midnight_circus » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:36 pm

applelover wrote:Like 2 times today someone on TLS tried to compare the URM thread to other threads
1. To compare the URM thread to the 2013-14 waiters thread
2. To compare the URM thread to a splitters thread

And IRL people say it to me all the time " well isn't this just like the civil rights movement" "dude no it is not"
Well, I suppose in each case there are similarities.
1. Many of us have sent in our apps and are waiting.
2. Each involves a subgroup of the applicant pool with admissions that are less easily predictable than average... also, I'm a splitter. :)
It still seems like a bizarre move. What motivates these comparisons?

As for the civil rights thing, I've only encountered that in relation to gay rights (which doesn't bother me) and, once, to the wars in Iraq & Afghanistan (which bothered me A LOT). Are you seeing it in different circumstances?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”