URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
okaygo

Silver

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Post by okaygo » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:19 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:
P-Haze wrote:Unfortunately, UCLA has issues in general, not just the law school. If people do decide not to attend after submitting an app definitely email the dean and let her know why. If you wanted to submit an app, but have since changed your mind based on the issues going on, I would also advise people to fill Dean Moran's inbox and let her know that. She needs to know people are watching and aware. I think that is just one way to also support the URM’s currently at the school. Personally, I have sent correspondence expressing my displeasure.

I actually dont think that this a bad idea

AAJD2B

Silver

Post by AAJD2B » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:39 pm

okaygo wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:
P-Haze wrote:Unfortunately, UCLA has issues in general, not just the law school. If people do decide not to attend after submitting an app definitely email the dean and let her know why. If you wanted to submit an app, but have since changed your mind based on the issues going on, I would also advise people to fill Dean Moran's inbox and let her know that. She needs to know people are watching and aware. I think that is just one way to also support the URM’s currently at the school. Personally, I have sent correspondence expressing my displeasure.

I am writing an email today.

This is how change happens...not by sitting idly but engaging actively. Totally unrelated to law school but I had an experience this weekend with my SO where we were racially profiled AFTER purchasing items. I was waiting for my SO who went to the restroom. We had a cart of our items, all bagged, upon which a security guard approached me to ask if I had purchased these items and where was my receipt. My SO had the receipt on him so I told him he can check our receipt after his return....which he did. He made sure to leave his post to approach my SO. We were no where close to the exit location.

During my wait, not one other non-black person was questioned. Some walked straight out the door with items outside store bags. After our experience, we returned every single item. Store managers and supervisors came to apologize, even offering discounts. We said NO, nor shall we be supporting that business any longer.

We have a voice and can speak up, rolled eyes be damned. We honestly felt we were stopped because we had too many bags. This establishment is known to have customers of both a certain race and income bracket. For some persons, I guess being black equates to being too poor to shop and spend money at certain store establishments.

So thanks, P-Haze. I am drafting an email now.

NanaP

Bronze

Post by NanaP » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:48 pm

AAJD2B wrote:
okaygo wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:

This is how change happens...not by sitting idly but engaging actively. Totally unrelated to law school but I had an experience this weekend with my SO where we were racially profiled AFTER purchasing items. I was waiting for my SO who went to the restroom. We had a cart of our items, all bagged, upon which a security guard approached me to ask if I had purchased these items and where was my receipt. My SO had the receipt on him so I told him he can check our receipt after his return....which he did. He made sure to leave his post to approach my SO. We were no where close to the exit location.

During my wait, not one other non-black person was questioned. Some walked straight out the door with items outside store bags. After our experience, we returned every single item. Store managers and supervisors came to apologize, even offering discounts. We said NO, nor shall we be supporting that business any longer.

We have a voice and can speak up, rolled eyes be damned. We honestly felt we were stopped because we had too many bags. This establishment is known to have customers of both a certain race and income bracket. For some persons, I guess being black equates to being too poor to shop and spend money at certain store establishments.

That Suxs...def have been profiled (being pulled over for no reason), it's unfortunate, and shouldn't be tolerated. UCLA has a huge problem, but something tells me that they could care less...things will just keep on moving....

mandyjay11

Silver

Post by mandyjay11 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:55 pm

NanaP wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:

That Suxs...def have been profiled (being pulled over for no reason), it's unfortunate, and shouldn't be tolerated. UCLA has a huge problem, but something tells me that they could care less...things will just keep on moving....

AAJD, that is crazy. I am glad that you guys returned the items!

Nana, it's easy to think that things won't happen. But we should not let those thoughts be spoken into existence because somewhere, someone is reading those types of defeatist thoughts and allowing it to give them an excuse not to try to do anything.

I am writing an email, I think it's a good idea. Even if it doesn't change one thing, I don't want to be on the side that didn't do anything just because I thought "they couldn't care less"

NanaP

Bronze

Post by NanaP » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:29 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:
NanaP wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:

AAJD, that is crazy. I am glad that you guys returned the items!

Nana, it's easy to think that things won't happen. But we should not let those thoughts be spoken into existence because somewhere, someone is reading those types of defeatist thoughts and allowing it to give them an excuse not to try to do anything.

I am writing an email, I think it's a good idea. Even if it doesn't change one thing, I don't want to be on the side that didn't do anything just because I thought "they couldn't care less"
Absolutely, I think we should all write an email to them, myself included, I was just basing what I observed from UCLA, that they seem not to move too quick to change...This has been happening for a while...so I hope they finally wake up....I wonder how the african american professors feel about the situation, is anyone of them speaking up?

teampeeta

Bronze

Post by teampeeta » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:47 pm

I have a case of the Mondays, uncompleted 250 edition. Ugh.

Dr.Zer0

Silver

Post by Dr.Zer0 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:49 pm

teampeeta wrote:I have a case of the Mondays, uncompleted 250 edition. Ugh.
+1

3 more days of procrastination.

alllaweverything

New

Post by alllaweverything » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:29 pm

Dr.Zer0 wrote:
teampeeta wrote:I have a case of the Mondays, uncompleted 250 edition. Ugh.
+1

3 more days of procrastination.
+1. the agony.

okaygo

Silver

Post by okaygo » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:54 pm

Off topic- but can we use mylsn as a gauge to predict scholly? Anyone know if it's accurate?

logicspeaks

Bronze

Post by logicspeaks » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:02 pm

Guys, I'm falling in love with the idea of UC Irvine. I'm absolutely set on public interest work and the community there just seems amazing.

Yaaaas2013

Bronze

Post by Yaaaas2013 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:40 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:

+1

ThePiedPiper

Bronze

Post by ThePiedPiper » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:41 pm

logicspeaks wrote:Guys, I'm falling in love with the idea of UC Irvine. I'm absolutely set on public interest work and the community there just seems amazing.
Doesn't Irvine have one of the best PI Programs? I was under the impression if a person wanted to go down that career route they were pretty solid in terms of placing graduates.

logicspeaks

Bronze

Post by logicspeaks » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:10 pm

ThePiedPiper wrote:
logicspeaks wrote:Guys, I'm falling in love with the idea of UC Irvine. I'm absolutely set on public interest work and the community there just seems amazing.
Doesn't Irvine have one of the best PI Programs? I was under the impression if a person wanted to go down that career route they were pretty solid in terms of placing graduates.
That's what it looks like, not to mention incredible placement into federal clerkships and better employment stats than UCLA/USC. Their LRAP looks pretty good too. I want to work in SoCal so UCI is quite alluring to me. If their employment stats stay the same for the Class of 2013 I just might end up there if I get accepted.

AAJD2B

Silver

Post by AAJD2B » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:06 pm

logicspeaks wrote:
ThePiedPiper wrote:
That's what it looks like, not to mention incredible placement into federal clerkships and better employment stats than UCLA/USC. Their LRAP looks pretty good too. I want to work in SoCal so UCI is quite alluring to me. If their employment stats stay the same for the Class of 2013 I just might end up there if I get accepted.
Feel free to shoot me a PM if you want to speak with a current 2L at the school. She is an AA female who is heading to BIGLAW and externed at the appellate court level. She raves of her experiences thus far.

Dr.Zer0

Silver

Post by Dr.Zer0 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:06 pm

okaygo wrote:Off topic- but can we use mylsn as a gauge to predict scholly? Anyone know if it's accurate?
This is a good question. I've found very little URM profiles that list schooly amounts, but would guess that they are accurate.

ThePiedPiper

Bronze

Post by ThePiedPiper » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:12 pm

AAJD2B wrote:
logicspeaks wrote:
ThePiedPiper wrote:
Feel free to shoot me a PM if you want to speak with a current 2L at the school. She is an AA female who is heading to BIGLAW and externed at the appellate court level. She raves of her experiences thus far.
I should have applied there then. I thought they were so PI focused so I didn't bother to submit the application.

logicspeaks

Bronze

Post by logicspeaks » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:25 pm

FWIW the deadline is March 15th.

Mojosodope

Silver

Post by Mojosodope » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:43 pm

its hard to estimate how UCI will continue to do, and how many more favors Chemerinski has to help his students get jobs

BobMoses

New

Post by BobMoses » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:16 am

Mojosodope wrote:its hard to estimate how UCI will continue to do, and how many more favors Chemerinski has to help his students get jobs
+1

Black_Swan

Bronze

Post by Black_Swan » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:07 am

Dr.Zer0 wrote:
okaygo wrote:Off topic- but can we use mylsn as a gauge to predict scholly? Anyone know if it's accurate?
This is a good question. I've found very little URM profiles that list schooly amounts, but would guess that they are accurate.
There is a thread on here with scholly amount, top 14 only though. Hopefully people will update the In and out thread with that info.

logicspeaks

Bronze

Post by logicspeaks » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:12 am

Mojosodope wrote:its hard to estimate how UCI will continue to do, and how many more favors Chemerinski has to help his students get jobs
I know there are still some unknowns in regards to UCI, but it has the makings of a strong regional with a great LRAP and PI focus.

Dr.Zer0

Silver

Post by Dr.Zer0 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:09 am

Just finished watching 2.5 seasons of Scandal.

Wow
much cliffhangers
many sex
very plotwists
so scandalous
wow

kenwash

Bronze

Post by kenwash » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:30 am

Dr.Zer0 wrote:Just finished watching 2.5 seasons of Scandal.

Wow
much cliffhangers
many sex
very plotwists
so scandalous
wow
The first 2.5? You have no idea what you're in for :D Gotta catch up before Thursday!!

okaygo

Silver

Post by okaygo » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:59 am

Wow
much cliffhangers
many sex
very plotwists
so scandalous
wow
Ready for Thursday, Gladiators?

ThePiedPiper

Bronze

Post by ThePiedPiper » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:00 am

okaygo wrote:

Wow
much cliffhangers
many sex
very plotwists
so scandalous
wow
Ready for Thursday, Gladiators?
I have been ready. I've been going through withdrawals lol

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”