URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
EvMont

Bronze

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Post by EvMont » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:02 pm

teampeeta wrote:
EvMont wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:

Hopefully they are doing just what you said, reserving the people they want and waiting for deposits. If that's the case, you could get a quick turn around if you deposit later this month.

I wouldn't worry though, you know they want you!! :D
Ha! I fingers crossed it all works out, but I am STILL waiting on initial finaid offers from 3 schools. So, I'm a long way off from depositing.
Ev, you aren't HLS or bust? Where else are you considering?
I was only ever T14 or bust, and I've been trying to avoid making any major decisions until I have all of my options (finaid included) clearly laid out in front of me. Which is why the slow finaid process at a couple of schools has been a little annoying. So, I'm still considering 6 schools all in the T14. I made the mistake of actually responding when people have asked me how the whole application process is going, so now I have a bunch of people in my ear about what I should do, etc.

I really want to be able to lay all my options out in front of me and before making an informed, well-thought out decision. I'm just trying to very logical about the whole thing. But, I think this weekend I'll have to do some serious thinking. It's really coming down to the wire.

tl;dr - No; H C/N V/D C

DPhoenix

New

Post by DPhoenix » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:02 pm

Brettanomyces wrote:
toshiroh wrote:So I withdrew my App from all schools and two of my top choices wrote back basically saying "What can we do to get you to come" and now I'm all like :? :? :? :? because I was finally becoming content with retaking and now I'm confused again
Ask for the amount of money that would change your mind about re-taking. If they refuse, retake!
+1

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:18 pm

EvMont wrote:
teampeeta wrote:
EvMont wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:

Hopefully they are doing just what you said, reserving the people they want and waiting for deposits. If that's the case, you could get a quick turn around if you deposit later this month.

I wouldn't worry though, you know they want you!! :D
Ha! I fingers crossed it all works out, but I am STILL waiting on initial finaid offers from 3 schools. So, I'm a long way off from depositing.
Ev, you aren't HLS or bust? Where else are you considering?
I was only ever T14 or bust
hi :wink:

Dr.Zer0

Silver

Post by Dr.Zer0 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:42 pm

DPhoenix wrote:Finally picked a school. Feeling good.

Congrats bro! You're gonna kill it. Remember the little ppl when you're on top.

mydasmarie

Bronze

Post by mydasmarie » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:48 pm

super late and I haven't been active in this thread...but as a urm I really wanted to reach out to any URM attending Duke just for the sake of making friends over the summer. Coming from UG where I had a large group of urm friends, connections, and greek life, I have to admit I am a little nervous about adjusting...i figure it will be no big deal but would love to hear from any of you :) !!!!!!!!!

congrats to you all as you finish you cycles and make deposits.

Ben Reilly

Bronze

Post by Ben Reilly » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:35 pm

Looks like I didn't get in to Stanford. Not really sure if it's a waitlist or a rejection at this point, but I guess I'll just go to Harvard instead.

EvMont

Bronze

Post by EvMont » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:43 pm

Ben Reilly wrote: I guess I'll just go to Harvard instead.
LOLZ. Congrats on deciding, I guess :?:

Dr.Zer0

Silver

Post by Dr.Zer0 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:49 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:Looks like I didn't get in to Stanford. Not really sure if it's a waitlist or a rejection at this point, but I guess I'll just go to Harvard instead.
Sorry to hear that. Enjoy the diploma mill.

Ben Reilly

Bronze

Post by Ben Reilly » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:53 pm

EvMont wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:
It was one or the other with Stanford having the slight lead.
Dr.Zer0 wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:Looks like I didn't get in to Stanford. Not really sure if it's a waitlist or a rejection at this point, but I guess I'll just go to Harvard instead.
Sorry to hear that. Enjoy the diploma mill.
*sigh*

I'll try :cry:

EvMont

Bronze

Post by EvMont » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:56 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
EvMont wrote:
It that case, I really am sorry about the ding. I've been avoiding my status checker for the same reason.

Ben Reilly

Bronze

Post by Ben Reilly » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:58 pm

EvMont wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:
EvMont wrote:
It that case, I really am sorry about the ding. I've been avoiding my status checker for the same reason.
Thanks, but it's cool. My cycle ended up much better than I ever could have anticipated, so I'm more than happy with the options I've been given.

Good luck!

teampeeta

Bronze

Post by teampeeta » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:59 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
EvMont wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:
EvMont wrote:
Thanks, but it's cool. My cycle ended up much better than I ever could have anticipated, so I'm more than happy with the options I've been given.

Good luck!
Sorry about the DLS! You've had an incredible cycle, so congrats on that! I'm sure Cambridge will be good to you.

logicspeaks

Bronze

Post by logicspeaks » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:35 pm

Welp, my cycle is weird. I got a Chancellor's (full) scholarship from Texas, but have been waitlisted at Penn and NYU. Still waiting on Harvard, Columbia, Michigan, and UCLA (interview tomorrow).

Moral of the story: Don't apply late.

Dr.Zer0

Silver

Post by Dr.Zer0 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:37 pm

logicspeaks wrote:Welp, my cycle is weird. I got a Chancellor's (full) scholarship from Texas, but have been waitlisted at Penn and NYU. Still waiting on Harvard, Columbia, Michigan, and UCLA (interview tomorrow).

+1

Brettanomyces

Bronze

Post by Brettanomyces » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:07 pm

Dr.Zer0 wrote:
logicspeaks wrote:Welp, my cycle is weird. I got a Chancellor's (full) scholarship from Texas, but have been waitlisted at Penn and NYU. Still waiting on Harvard, Columbia, Michigan, and UCLA (interview tomorrow).

+1
+2

aboutmydaylight

Silver

Post by aboutmydaylight » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:58 pm

I didn't expect to be YP'd this hard guys. My cycle is kind of annoying.

Brettanomyces

Bronze

Post by Brettanomyces » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:41 pm

aboutmydaylight wrote:I didn't expect to be YP'd this hard guys. My cycle is kind of annoying.
I bet, dude. Must be a bummer to be accepted at S (with no money), but get YP'd pretty much everywhere else.

Doesn't leave you with too many options.

aboutmydaylight

Silver

Post by aboutmydaylight » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:54 pm

Brettanomyces wrote:
aboutmydaylight wrote:I didn't expect to be YP'd this hard guys. My cycle is kind of annoying.
I bet, dude. Must be a bummer to be accepted at S (with no money), but get YP'd pretty much everywhere else.

I actually got some $ at S so its not all bad, but I barely get any other choices lol.

Brettanomyces

Bronze

Post by Brettanomyces » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:56 pm

aboutmydaylight wrote:
I actually got some $ at S so its not all bad.
Awesome. Congrats.

Cocoblues

Bronze

Post by Cocoblues » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:07 am

aboutmydaylight wrote:
Brettanomyces wrote:

I actually got some $ at S so its not all bad, but I barely get any other choices lol.
Have you tried LOCIs? This late in the stage, Adcomms may view a letter from someone with your numbers as a super-strong indicator of interest.

teampeeta

Bronze

Post by teampeeta » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:17 am

aboutmydaylight wrote:
Brettanomyces wrote:

So it's looking like SLS instead of HLS unless Chicago and Columbia get their acts together and give you the acceptances/ scholarships you deserve?

aboutmydaylight

Silver

Post by aboutmydaylight » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:24 am

Cocoblues wrote:
aboutmydaylight wrote:
Brettanomyces wrote:

Have you tried LOCIs? This late in the stage, Adcomms may view a letter from someone with your numbers as a super-strong indicator of interest.
Haven't sent any. Mainly because I actually don't think I'd attend any of the schools that WL'd me now that S is on the table, unless they throw a full ride at me. Mainly I wanted to use them for negotiating purposes with Berkeley. As of now I only have a Duke offer, and a couple of people have reported Berkeley has flat out told them they aren't matching Duke at all. I know people on the WL get $ sometimes, but how common is $$$? Do you think LOCIs to CC would be a good idea even before a decision? I haven't even gotten an interview request from Chicago.
teampeeta wrote:
aboutmydaylight wrote:
Brettanomyces wrote:

So it's looking like SLS instead of HLS unless Chicago and Columbia get their acts together and give you the acceptances/ scholarships you deserve?
Its looked like S since the beginning, but its looking more likely as time goes by. It was always my #1 choice given that I want to live and work in the bay area, if money wasn't an issue of course. I'm pretty emotionally invested in S at this point in the cycle. Of course, you can't be 100% sure until everything's on the table so just need to wait on CC.

Cocoblues

Bronze

Post by Cocoblues » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:59 am

Haven't sent any. Mainly because I actually don't think I'd attend any of the schools that WL'd me now that S is on the table, unless they throw a full ride at me. Mainly I wanted to use them for negotiating purposes with Berkeley. As of now I only have a Duke offer, and a couple of people have reported Berkeley has flat out told them they aren't matching Duke at all. I know people on the WL get $ sometimes, but how common is $$$? Do you think LOCIs to CC would be a good idea even before a decision? I haven't even gotten an interview request from Chicago.
I LOCI'd CLS from being held. I don't know yet how that will pan out, but someone with your numbers will definitely catch their attention.

With Chicago, I remember that they dislike paper updates. Emails might be OK. I'd call admissions and check before emailing a LOCI.

Berkeley is simply ridiculous with its matching program. The school cherry-picking is really annoying. :| I'm in the same boat, wanting CA, but not getting much fin aid love from Berkeley. Were you waitlisted at Penn and Michigan? B seems to love matching $$ from those places.

If you'd seriously consider attending a lower T14 with a full ride, put your cards on the table, and LOCI them. You have nothing to lose by doing that.

aboutmydaylight

Silver

Post by aboutmydaylight » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:15 pm

Cocoblues wrote:
I LOCI'd CLS from being held. I don't know yet how that will pan out, but someone with your numbers will definitely catch their attention.

With Chicago, I remember that they dislike paper updates. Emails might be OK. I'd call admissions and check before emailing a LOCI.

Berkeley is simply ridiculous with its matching program. The school cherry-picking is really annoying. :| I'm in the same boat, wanting CA, but not getting much fin aid love from Berkeley. Were you waitlisted at Penn and Michigan? B seems to love matching $$ from those places.

If you'd seriously consider attending a lower T14 with a full ride, put your cards on the table, and LOCI them. You have nothing to lose by doing that.
I got no offer from Penn and got waitlisted at Michigan.

Cocoblues

Bronze

Post by Cocoblues » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:17 pm

aboutmydaylight wrote:
Cocoblues wrote:

I got no offer from Penn and got waitlisted at Michigan.
That's messed up. :(

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”