URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
JodieLovesChachi

Bronze

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Post by JodieLovesChachi » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:01 pm

midnight_circus wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:
midnight_circus wrote:NYU called me this afternoon but didn't leave a message. My status checker hasn't changed. I called them back on my break but the office was closed. WTF?
Why you trollin', NYU?
Weird. Also, how did you know it was NYU calling?
I looked up the number and it was consistent with most of the faculty at NYU Law. Then I called them and it rolled to a voicemail describing the admission office's hours.

Edited for clarity.
Hmm. I received access to the ASW the day after the call. I don't think they call for denials lol. Safe to say (and esp with your numbers) you got in. Lol.

How has the rest of your cycle been going??!?!

JodieLovesChachi

Bronze

Post by JodieLovesChachi » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:02 pm

twenty wrote:Dinged at Penn. :(
Sorry to hear that twenty. When did you apply?

midnight_circus

Bronze

Post by midnight_circus » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:04 pm

I'm sorry twenty. :( It's their loss.

AAJD2B

Silver

Post by AAJD2B » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:05 pm

JodieLovesChachi wrote:
midnight_circus wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:
midnight_circus wrote:NYU called me this afternoon but didn't leave a message. My status checker hasn't changed. I called them back on my break but the office was closed. WTF?
Why you trollin', NYU?
Weird. Also, how did you know it was NYU calling?
I looked up the number and it was consistent with most of the faculty at NYU Law. Then I called them and it rolled to a voicemail describing the admission office's hours.

Edited for clarity.
Hmm. I received access to the ASW the day after the call. I don't think they call for denials lol. Safe to say (and esp with your numbers) you got in. Lol.
+1. You need not worry, midnight!

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:06 pm

brutal, have you heard back from any other t14s?

kenwash

Bronze

Post by kenwash » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:09 pm

:(

AAJD2B

Silver

Post by AAJD2B » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:10 pm

midnight_circus wrote:I'm sorry twenty. :( It's their loss.
+1

Twenty, do you have a backup plan in place? These US law schools have been giving you a hard time for two cycles in a row. Have you considered going the UK, Australian or Canadian route? I'm not sure what your future career plans are, but a number of foreign-educated lawyers from these three territories are landing elite jobs at elite US law firms. Just something to consider should schools continue to play hard to get with your application.

JodieLovesChachi

Bronze

Post by JodieLovesChachi » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:15 pm

DPhoenix wrote:Had my University of Chicago interview today. My interviewer was really nice. I think it went well.
Good luck Phoenix!!

ThePiedPiper

Bronze

Post by ThePiedPiper » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:16 pm

midnight_circus wrote:I'm sorry twenty. :( It's their loss.
+1

DPhoenix

New

Post by DPhoenix » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:17 pm

Sad to see this. You've been such a big help to so many on TLS. I'm rooting for you.

DPhoenix

New

Post by DPhoenix » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:21 pm

JodieLovesChachi wrote:
DPhoenix wrote:Had my University of Chicago interview today. My interviewer was really nice. I think it went well.
Good luck Phoenix!!
Thanks. The interviewer really sold U Chicago during my interview. I'm hoping for a positive decision soon.

Futuregohan14

Bronze

Post by Futuregohan14 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:04 pm

Dear Gohan,

Thank you for your application to the University of Pennsylvania Law School. The Admissions Committee has completed its preliminary review of your application and has decided to hold your file for further review.

The admissions process at Penn Law is a deliberative process, and blah blah blah blah

would rather have a firm decision to kill the anxiety but whatever. Talk to you in a couple months, quakers.

applelover

Gold

Post by applelover » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:17 pm

I'm sorry twenty.

applelover

Gold

Post by applelover » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:26 pm

Futuregohan14 wrote:
Dear Gohan,

Thank you for your application to the University of Pennsylvania Law School. The Admissions Committee has completed its preliminary review of your application and has decided to hold your file for further review.

The admissions process at Penn Law is a deliberative process, and blah blah blah blah

would rather have a firm decision to kill the anxiety but whatever. Talk to you in a couple months, quakers.
:( , but you've got Chicago!

mandyjay11

Silver

Post by mandyjay11 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:10 pm

Futuregohan14 wrote:
Dear Gohan,

Another amazing gif. Teach me your gif ways!!

Also, blah Penn, you got chi-town !

mandyjay11

Silver

Post by mandyjay11 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:10 pm

applelover wrote:
I'm sorry twenty.
+1

AAJD2B

Silver

Post by AAJD2B » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:51 pm

I will just say it right here and right now:

Something ain't right in the water at Penn Law. I have never seen a top law school like Penn consistently WL or reject so many strong URMs (both strong in the sense of numbers, work experience, fellowships, honors, or otherwise).

This has been the same story each and every year in URM threads. In other words, I think it's more than just YPing happening here.

/rant.

ThePiedPiper

Bronze

Post by ThePiedPiper » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:57 pm

AAJD2B wrote:I will just say it right here and right now:

Something ain't right in the water at Penn Law. I have never seen a top law school like Penn consistently WL or reject so many strong URMs (both strong in the sense of numbers, work experience, fellowships, honors, or otherwise).

This has been the same story each and every year in URM threads. In other words, I think it's more than just YPing happening here.

/rant.
+1 I actually have to agree. It is actually getting to the point of ridiculousness. Its really insane.

ThePiedPiper

Bronze

Post by ThePiedPiper » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:02 pm

I dub Mandy as the Queen of gifs and Gohan as the King of gifs

Futuregohan14

Bronze

Post by Futuregohan14 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:53 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:
Another amazing gif. Teach me your gif ways!!
ThePiedPiper wrote:Image
I dub Mandy as the Queen of gifs and Gohan as the King of gifs
AAJD2B wrote:I will just say it right here and right now:

/rant.

Black_Swan

Bronze

Post by Black_Swan » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:24 am

californiauser wrote:
essyct wrote:BAHAHA omg, guys. I am such an idiot. I jumped the gun on that one. It was Penn State that I got the email from. :lol:

All I saw was Penn and I went crazy. As you were. :roll:
subtle Joe Paterno trolling
:mrgreen: could not have said it better

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:01 am

Thanks for the support guys. :')

Backup plan at this point is an ED to GULC PT while working full time in DC. Talked to my union rep today, and it looks like I can transfer very easily to headquarters in DC. I don't like the idea of going to GULC at sticker, but I'd make enough money working to cover the cost of attendance/housing and still be in the black.

Alternative from that is going for a military commission.

Still haven't heard back from any other T14 at this point. Penn was my first ding.

I'm super happy for you guys, obviously. I think the URMs are kicking ass this cycle, which makes me incredibly proud of ya'll. That said, if anyone has a Duke/UVA/Northwestern at sticker offer they don't want, feel free to throw it my way. :D

AAJD2B

Silver

Post by AAJD2B » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:10 am

twenty wrote:Thanks for the support guys. :')

Backup plan at this point is an ED to GULC PT while working full time in DC. Talked to my union rep today, and it looks like I can transfer very easily to headquarters in DC. I don't like the idea of going to GULC at sticker, but I'd make enough money working to cover the cost of attendance/housing and still be in the black.

Still haven't heard back from any other T14 at this point. Penn was my first ding.

I'm super happy for you guys, obviously. I think the URMs are kicking ass this cycle, which makes me incredibly proud of ya'll. That said, if anyone has a Duke/UVA/Northwestern at sticker offer they don't want, feel free to throw it my way. :D
I think you will get NU. You must. :mrgreen:

coolbean2013

Bronze

Post by coolbean2013 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:35 am

twenty wrote:Thanks for the support guys. :')

We're all rooting for you twenty! I'm hoping for some great news to come your way soon!!

nabadgelyo

Bronze

Post by nabadgelyo » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:52 am

blackbirdfly wrote:
abdcefjj wrote:For anyone interested in social justice lawyering/PI, http://digitalcommons.lmu.edu/cgi/viewc ... ontext=llr is a great overview of some of the frustrations both with the term "public-interest," which some (and being the Left-y I am, I'm inclined to agree) feel is WAY too inclusive, and also with some of the ways that legal education forces prospective social justice lawyers to "adopt
a professional identity that unduly limits their way of envisioning and experiencing law and lawyering to something that, more often than not, is divorced from social justice."

It's good stuff and something I've been thinking about ever since I decided to apply to law school. In the midst of adjusting to "thinking like a lawyer" (whatever that means) , how will I handle receiving an education where many of the (white, straight, middle-class) professors will be teaching us things based on tacit assumptions (that law itself is neutral, that lawyering is objective, that it is possible to separate legal issues from their cultural contexts, that emotionality and rationality are opposed to each other) that I do not necessarily hold? How will I handle having a very different internship/job search schedule when all my firm-bound friends float through OCI (lol I know they don't float they work their asses, off, but still)? One thing I'm thinking about doing is developing my own "alternative syllabus" of texts to read before law school, like the radical version of One L or Getting to Maybe, lol. Or maybe there is something like that already out there? I'm sure there is, just don't know what it is.

I'm also debating how much I'll want to call ish out in classes. I've been in predominantly white institutions for so long now that I've kinda given up calling out racism and sexism in many contexts. It's just too exhausting and the payoff is rarely worth it. Part of me wants to just ignore all the racist/sexist/homophobic/transphobic BS I'm sure I'll hear in classes and just keep my eyes on the ultimate goal. But then I wonder whether I would be squandering an opportunity to "teach" (that sounds arrogant, but it's kinda the truth sometimes) others about how/why their actions/words are messed up.

Anyway sorry this was kinda long, and totally derailing whatever SEO convo was happening, but I'm just wondering whether any of y'all are thinking about this too. It's really difficult to find threads on TLS that REALLY talk about social justice, as opposed to just "How to work at the ACLU/ land a Skadden Fellowship." I get that part of the reason why that is the case is because this website attracts a very self-selecting group of people (and I'm now one of them so no self-righteousness there, lol), but still. Hot damn. It's kinda scary/frustrating.

which is why I posted this here. where the cool people are at :D

I've always thought about this. I don't have time to adequately reply, but I hope to come back to this.
I couldn't agree more about PI and social justice. I agree we should come back to this -- as a POC who want to serve with the law, I am kind of amazed how conservative the options appear to be so far. Of course, this is tied to $$$, but I/my soul hope that in law school the lightbulb will turn on somehow.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”