URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
californiauser

Silver

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Post by californiauser » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:45 am

toshiroh wrote:I'm just going to avoid this discussion because I've had enough these discussions in undergrad with FSU students about why I chose Famu over FSU and the other PWI undergrads I was accepted into. They usually don't end well.
I think it's a legit discussion to have that can be helpful for future applicants following this thread. No one here is trying to denigrate anyone's institution.

Mojosodope

Silver

Post by Mojosodope » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:48 am

There's no difference between someone that goes to a HBCU and someone that doesn't.

And having a respected alumni base is not unique.

sassybassy

New

Post by sassybassy » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:52 am

mandyjay11 wrote:Sassy, how is the type of student that goes there different from the type that doesn't? I got full rides plus stipends to Howard and Spellman as an undergrad and decided to go Ivy, does that make me a different type of students by simply choosing a different path?
Yes. You are different than an HBCU grad because your experiences were different. Not worse. Not better. Highly different.

Do I think a person who went to an Ivy is put at a disadvantage in comparison to someone who went to an HBCU? ... I'm no fool. Of course not.

Do I think someone who went to not the top half of the Top 100 schools is perhaps not as competitive as someone who went to a top HBCU? Yes. It is possible.
Last edited by sassybassy on Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

toshiroh

Bronze

Post by toshiroh » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:52 am

californiauser wrote:
toshiroh wrote:I'm just going to avoid this discussion because I've had enough these discussions in undergrad with FSU students about why I chose Famu over FSU and the other PWI undergrads I was accepted into. They usually don't end well.
I think it's a legit discussion to have that can be helpful for future applicants following this thread. No one here is trying to denigrate anyone's institution.
It is legit, but the conversation has been ran into the ground on my end, especially when you have a PWI right down the street from you.

sassybassy

New

Post by sassybassy » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:54 am

Mojosodope wrote:There's no difference between someone that goes to a HBCU and someone that doesn't.

And having a respected alumni base is not unique.
A history of consistently producing leaders and notable individuals is a unique characteristic of top schools.

Mojosodope

Silver

Post by Mojosodope » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:55 am

sassybassy wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:Sassy, how is the type of student that goes there different from the type that doesn't? I got full rides plus stipends to Howard and Spellman as an undergrad and decided to go Ivy, does that make me a different type of students by simply choosing a different path?
Yes. You are different than an HBCU grad because your experiences were different. Not worse. Not better. Highly different.

Do I think a person who went to an Ivy is put at a disadvantage in comparison to someone who went to an HBCU? ... I'm no fool. Of course not.

Do I think someone who went to not the top half of the Top 100 schools is perhaps not as competitive as someone who went to a top HBCU? Yes. It is possible.
What do you mean? Most of the HBCU's are not considered in the Top 100

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:56 am

sassybassy wrote:
=

Are we talking law school admissions or employment in general?

So, according to you, a Morehouse alumnus is more competitive than a University of Texas graduate for law school (#52 U.S. News)?

midnight_circus

Bronze

Post by midnight_circus » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:57 am

I believe the consensus is that your ug "prestige" or whatever doesn't count for anything anyway. Perhaps, at best, it is a very lightly weighted soft factor. I've heard Columbia particularly loves the prestigious UG. Maybe that's true, maybe not. Maybe HBCUs are "prestigious," maybe not. Depends on your metric. Maybe they just want more URMs to apply. HBCUs are certainly full of them. That seems like the most likely reason to send the emails to me but, not being in Columbia's admissions office, I wouldn't know.

Absent any evidence that attending an HBCU gives you a boost, it doesn't matter at all if attending one should do so. And it looks like a discussion tailor-made to make some people defensive and upset, so I don't really think we need to have it. It won't be helpful to future applicants following this thread because by the time they find it, they'll already have gone to UG. It's not like our speculations--and that is precisely what these comments for the most part are, baseless speculations about the benefit of attending an HBCU in law school admissions--will help them in that respect. I'm going to stand by my (0L) opinion that in the vast majority of cases, your UG doesn't matter. If someone gives me evidence to the contrary, then this conversation will perhaps become useful. Although, just like any other soft, the amount by which you will outperform your numbers will remain unpredictable.

Besides, I haven't thought about SAT scores since I submitted my SEO application. Oh look, a segue!
midnight_circus wrote:
Kool-Aid wrote:SEO Law...has anyone applied yet? If so, when do you think we may start hearing something?
Yes and I have no idea. I applied for the round 2 deadline, but I haven't heard anything yet. Anyone else?
Anybody know anything about that? :D

sassybassy

New

Post by sassybassy » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:58 am

Mojosodope wrote:
sassybassy wrote:

What do you mean? Most of the HBCU's are not considered in the Top 100
I didn't say they were. I said whether I thought someone who went to an HBCU would enjoy a slight advantage to someone who did not go to a Top 100.

Mojosodope

Silver

Post by Mojosodope » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:59 am

I don't think much happens for SEO until like February

midnight_circus

Bronze

Post by midnight_circus » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:03 am

Mojosodope wrote:I don't think much happens for SEO until like February
Thanks. I know they don't make actual offers until we've deposited at a school, and don't assign us to firms until well after that, but I was wondering about the interview process. Long shot I know, but do you know how long that usually takes?

Mojosodope

Silver

Post by Mojosodope » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:04 am

midnight_circus wrote:
Mojosodope wrote:I don't think much happens for SEO until like February
Thanks. I know they don't make actual offers until we've deposited at a school, and don't assign us to firms until well after that, but I was wondering about the interview process. Long shot I know, but do you know how long that usually takes?
People weren't hearing they got into SEO well into May last year. Some heard earlier, but a few had to scramble for housing.

sassybassy

New

Post by sassybassy » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:04 am

I apologize if anyone was upset or offended by my discussion of HBCUs. I always think it's an interesting conversation to have especially since research has shown that top schools like pulling from certain, mostly Ivy League, institutions. I enjoy discussions in which there's no definitive yes or no answer because I think seeing how other people think and analyze the same set of facts is fruitful. But I'll let up for the sake of harmony, and let's face it - I'll rep my HBCU til the day I die so I probably wasn't that persuadable from the jump. Lol

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:07 am

sassybassy wrote:I apologize if anyone was upset or offended by my discussion of HBCUs. I always think it's an interesting conversation to have especially since research has shown that top schools like pulling from certain, mostly Ivy League, institutions. I enjoy discussions in which there's no definitive yes or no answer because I think seeing how other people think and analyze the same set of facts is fruitful. But I'll let up for the sake of harmony, and let's face it - I'll rep my HBCU til the day I die so I probably wasn't that persuadable from the jump. Lol
It's all love ITT :lol: .

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:14 am

Curious to know if you HBCU grads found there was a decent amount of grade inflation? I have a student who's hell-bent on law school, and she's smartly trying to figure out the best place for her to get good grades. Her alternative at this point is a UC school, and UCs are kind of known for Bs and Cs for freshman classes, so I was just wondering if any of you had any input.

Mojosodope

Silver

Post by Mojosodope » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:21 am

twentypercentmore wrote:Curious to know if you HBCU grads found there was a decent amount of grade inflation? I have a student who's hell-bent on law school, and she's smartly trying to figure out the best place for her to get good grades. Her alternative at this point is a UC school, and UCs are kind of known for Bs and Cs for freshman classes, so I was just wondering if any of you had any input.
If she's hell-bent, why wouldn't she go to the cheapest (or free) place and just take an easy major?

Dr.Zer0

Silver

Post by Dr.Zer0 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:25 am

[Redacted]
Last edited by Dr.Zer0 on Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

wlee1220

Bronze

Post by wlee1220 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:27 am

As an alum of a Howard/Morehouse/Spelman HBCU I am interested in this kind of discussion. Comparing my experiences and opportunities with my URM friends from high schools that attended PWIs, ivies, and state flagships, I definitely think I fared better than them, though most of them had higher GPAs than me. I wouldn't dare say that my experiences in and of themselves prove anything about HBCUs vs. PWIs as far as URM outcomes in grad school admissions are concerned, but from what I hear my experiences weren't unique.

And I know my HBCU does not inflate grades. I took classes at state PWIs senior year and was amazed at the inflation.

Dr.Zer0

Silver

Post by Dr.Zer0 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:28 am

wlee1220 wrote:As an alum of a Howard/Morehouse/Spelman HBCU I am interested in this kind of discussion. Comparing my experiences and opportunities with my URM friends from high schools that attended PWIs, ivies, and state flagships, I definitely think I fared better than them, though most of them had higher GPAs than me. I wouldn't dare say that my experiences in and of themselves prove anything about HBCUs vs. PWIs as far as URM outcomes in grad school admissions are concerned, but from what I hear my experiences weren't unique.

And I know my HBCU does not inflate grades. I took classes at state PWIs senior year and was amazed at the inflation.
In what ways do you think you fared better than them?

mandyjay11

Silver

Post by mandyjay11 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:31 am

californiauser wrote:
sassybassy wrote:I apologize if anyone was upset or offended by my discussion of HBCUs. I always think it's an interesting conversation to have especially since research has shown that top schools like pulling from certain, mostly Ivy League, institutions. I enjoy discussions in which there's no definitive yes or no answer because I think seeing how other people think and analyze the same set of facts is fruitful. But I'll let up for the sake of harmony, and let's face it - I'll rep my HBCU til the day I die so I probably wasn't that persuadable from the jump. Lol
+1 just a friendly discussion girl! I see you reppin hard :D

mandyjay11

Silver

Post by mandyjay11 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:32 am

Dr.Zer0 wrote:
wlee1220 wrote:As an alum of a Howard/Morehouse/Spelman HBCU I am interested in this kind of discussion. Comparing my experiences and opportunities with my URM friends from high schools that attended PWIs, ivies, and state flagships, I definitely think I fared better than them, though most of them had higher GPAs than me. I wouldn't dare say that my experiences in and of themselves prove anything about HBCUs vs. PWIs as far as URM outcomes in grad school admissions are concerned, but from what I hear my experiences weren't unique.

Interested in knowing this, too.

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:34 am

Dr.Zer0 wrote:

I think he means in going to a school with a welcoming environment. I went to a school that was something like 5% black and many of the URM students felt marginalized by the student body and faculty.

mandyjay11

Silver

Post by mandyjay11 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:38 am

californiauser wrote:
Dr.Zer0 wrote:

I think he means in going to a school with a welcoming environment. I went to a school that was something like 5% black and many of the URM students felt marginalized by the student body and faculty.
Ok, I thought there was more to it because he did a grade comparison and mentioned opportunities in addition to experiences.

Dr.Zer0

Silver

Post by Dr.Zer0 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:38 am

mandyjay11 wrote:
californiauser wrote:
Dr.Zer0 wrote:

Ok, I thought there was more to it because he did a grade comparison and mentioned opportunities in addition to experiences.
Same

sassybassy

New

Post by sassybassy » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:46 am

mandyjay11 wrote:
californiauser wrote:
+1 just a friendly discussion girl! I see you reppin hard :D
Does that give me leave to keep talking about this? Because I was having quite a bit of fun. Lmao. I'll just keep going and y'all tell me when to shut it up.

I think this convo is helpful to future applicants in that it helps you weigh all your options. I was born Black. It's not something I can change prior to applying to law school, but it's interesting that it does play some role in the admissions process.

If you look at the list of where students at HYS are coming from in terms of undergrad, the same schools appear frequently, and Howard, Spelman, and Morehouse make a good showing. Not in large numbers perhaps, but they consistently appear.

I don't think HBCUs inflate grades. My experience was horrendously the opposite, but I don't have anything to compare it to unlike the previous poster.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”