URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Nova

Platinum

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Post by Nova » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:14 pm

kenwash wrote:
Mojosodope wrote:soooo many people cheating during my last final
As an old honor council chair, I would so report them!!
don't be a snitch bro

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:18 pm

If there's anything I learned from Hollywood concerning my own ethnic community, it's that snitches end up in a dumpster on L street.

Also, we really like blasting Spanish rap/hip-hop from our subwoofers. And we only wear solid white tee shirts.
Last edited by twenty on Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mandyjay11

Silver

Post by mandyjay11 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:18 pm

Nova wrote:
kenwash wrote:
don't be a snitch bro
i dont know... if the curve is gonna be stacked against him I think he should...

wlee1220

Bronze

Post by wlee1220 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:26 pm

Question about resumes: how detailed are you all being about classes, research, etc? Does that really make sense once you're more than 1 year out?

Dr.Zer0

Silver

Post by Dr.Zer0 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:27 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:If there's anything I learned from Hollywood concerning my own ethnic community, it's that snitches end up in a dumpster on L street.

Also, we really like blasting Spanish rap/hip-hop from our subwoofers. And we only wear solid white tee shirts.
Snitches get stitches and thrown in ditches.

lemons

Bronze

Post by lemons » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:42 pm

Nova wrote:
kenwash wrote:
don't be a snitch bro
at my school if you know that someone has cheated and you don't report them then you are in violation of the honor code.. it makes most people too paranoid that big brother is their classmate... also, no one knows who sits on the honor council at my school so it's like there's secret spies who are always watching.. Big Brother is watching y'all

nabadgelyo

Bronze

Post by nabadgelyo » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:31 pm

Hi team,

There's been a wave of acceptances at NYU, so heads up if you haven't been on the status checker today! There might be good news :)

*Fingers crossed*

BentleyLittle

Bronze

Post by BentleyLittle » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:40 pm

Dr.Zer0 wrote:
twentypercentmore wrote:If there's anything I learned from Hollywood concerning my own ethnic community, it's that snitches end up in a dumpster on L street.

Snitches get stitches and thrown in ditches.

Mojosodope

Silver

Post by Mojosodope » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:44 pm

Na I don't snitch. I just feel bad for people that resort to that. How can you feel like you earned the grade?

You can stop with the whole stop snitchin shit tho, we aren't in the streets.

midnight_circus

Bronze

Post by midnight_circus » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:47 pm

August Wilson wrote:
midnight_circus wrote:
August Wilson wrote:
Oh and I'm a huge Frank Sinatra fan too.
Who isn't? I've only ever had one poster of a real person on my wall and it was him. Those eyes. :shock: That voice. That charisma. Seriously. He, Dean Martin, and Sammy Davis Jr were a special kind of cool. :D

I often think "wouldn't it be grand to go back to the 40s and 50s and sing with Frank, drink martinis at any hour of the day, wear fedoras without lookling like a doucebag, and go to swingin jazz clubs?"

then i remember that I'm black and that no, it wouldn't be grand.
I hate having that realization. I am enamored with so many different historical eras. The unpleasant truth that I would actually be miserable in all of them is sad. :(

Quan292

Bronze

Post by Quan292 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:54 pm

Dr.Zer0 wrote:
toshiroh wrote:I'm a big Lupe Fiasco and Childish Gambino fan. I like some R&B as well. Beyonce's new album isn't half bad. Drunk in Love >>>>>>

I'm an old school hip hop junkie though
What do you think of Gambino's new album? I'm actually enjoying it more than Drake's most recent effort.
How do I miss Gambino new album talk. smh but I love it I havent listened to anything else since it dropped. Def on my top 5 rap albums of the year list.

In other news got an invite to interview with Georgetown today so at least i'm hearing somewhat good news so far.

Mojosodope

Silver

Post by Mojosodope » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:04 pm

midnight_circus wrote:
August Wilson wrote:
midnight_circus wrote:
August Wilson wrote:
Oh and I'm a huge Frank Sinatra fan too.
Who isn't? I've only ever had one poster of a real person on my wall and it was him. Those eyes. :shock: That voice. That charisma. Seriously. He, Dean Martin, and Sammy Davis Jr were a special kind of cool. :D

I often think "wouldn't it be grand to go back to the 40s and 50s and sing with Frank, drink martinis at any hour of the day, wear fedoras without lookling like a doucebag, and go to swingin jazz clubs?"

then i remember that I'm black and that no, it wouldn't be grand.
I hate having that realization. I am enamored with so many different historical eras. The unpleasant truth that I would actually be miserable in all of them is sad. :(
You never know, you could be as cool as Sammy Davis Jr. and become a protected man.

Quan292

Bronze

Post by Quan292 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:09 pm

August Wilson wrote:Interesting read here: --LinkRemoved--

white lawyer in NYC tries to get arrested last year. Ends up having to turn himself in...

I read this, and I still dont understand why he even did this whole experiment. Like as an ADA in roxbury he should have seen how the justice system systematically disenfranchise people of color so this whole forcing himself to get arrested to "really see" how bad it is is stupid to me. Like black folk saying this for years aint enough?

lemons

Bronze

Post by lemons » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:34 pm

using the word "troll" in a final paper about pranks and free speech.. yay or nay? (specific people involved in the pranks said "we were just trolling"

also, citing it with urbandictionary? haha i feel like "troll" is a relatively mainstream word now.

August Wilson

Silver

Post by August Wilson » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:46 pm

lemons wrote:using the word "troll" in a final paper about pranks and free speech.. yay or nay? (specific people involved in the pranks said "we were just trolling"

also, citing it with urbandictionary? haha i feel like "troll" is a relatively mainstream word now.
Completely fine. I did similar things plenty of times in UG, usually with an explanation or a cite. And urban dictionary is (i would guess) the only authority you could cite so I wouldn't worry about it.

August Wilson

Silver

Post by August Wilson » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:48 pm

Quan292 wrote:

white lawyer in NYC tries to get arrested last year. Ends up having to turn himself in...

I read this, and I still dont understand why he even did this whole experiment. Like as an ADA in roxbury he should have seen how the justice system systematically disenfranchise people of color so this whole forcing himself to get arrested to "really see" how bad it is is stupid to me. Like black folk saying this for years aint enough?

yeah I was confused by this too. He got f*cked by the long dick of the law.

Not worth it

mandyjay11

Silver

Post by mandyjay11 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:59 pm

August Wilson wrote:
Quan292 wrote:

Not worth it
Yeah he should have quit when they refused to arrest him. Like he didn't even really see much more than what a movie or any black person who has been arrested couldn't have told me

August Wilson

Silver

Post by August Wilson » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:04 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:
August Wilson wrote:
Quan292 wrote:

Not worth it
Yeah he should have quit when they refused to arrest him. Like he didn't even really see much more than what a movie or any black person who has been arrested couldn't have told me
I could not imagine being on probation and someone telling me I couldn't leave new york city without permission. That's crazy to me.

alpwilliams

New

Post by alpwilliams » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:34 pm

Thots made the news.

http://t.co/dekpU2lKHN

mandyjay11

Silver

Post by mandyjay11 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:44 pm

alpwilliams wrote:Thots made the news.

Why would they expose high school thotties? Ugh kids these days

Yaaaas2013

Bronze

Post by Yaaaas2013 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:20 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:
alpwilliams wrote:Thots made the news.

Why would they expose high school thotties? Ugh kids these days
"high school thotties" ? I cant lol

sashafierce

Bronze

Post by sashafierce » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:27 pm

I was confusing this guy (David Panton) for Tessanne Chin's husband ( the Jamaican girl on the voice) but then I realized that he's the father of Wendy Fitzwilliam's son (she is the Trinidadian that won Miss Universe in 2008). While goggling him I realized:

a) He is Jamaican
b) He is one of two black presidents in the history of the Harvard Law Review (the other being Mr. Obama)

Happily, this situation has changed dramatically. In 1982, Annette Gordon [Gordon-Reed] ’84 became the Review’s first black female editor. Since that time, there has been a steady stream of black editors, including two elected to the Review’s presidency: Barack Obama ’91, in 1990–1991, and David Panton ’97, in 1996–1997. Today, there are nine black women and men following in Houston’s footsteps. Perhaps most tellingly, when I asked these editors whether they knew how many blacks had served on the Review since Houston, no one could tell me. This is as it should be. It is a testament to how far we have come that every new black editor no longer needs to know his or her exact place in the history of this 75-year connection between the Harvard Law Review and the struggle for racial justice. Harvard Law Review article

This inspired me to start studying for my 3rd retake in February-->random but totally inspiring as I am from the Caribbean like him and we have similar backgrounds.

JamaicaObserver article http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/Dav ... s_14748587

Businessweek profile http://investing.businessweek.com/resea ... d=20996593

P.S. Don't make me out :( Yes I am a lurker :oops: I just wanted to share some info :D

Futuregohan14

Bronze

Post by Futuregohan14 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:22 pm

sashafierce wrote:I was confusing this guy (David Panton) for Tessanne Chin's husband ( the Jamaican girl on the voice) but then I realized that he's the father of Wendy Fitzwilliam's son (she is the Trinidadian that won Miss Universe in 2008).
He is also the father of Lisa Hanna's son. Lisa Hanna was Miss World in 1993.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisa_Hanna

He is what I want to be when I grow up.

wow
such Harvard Law School
much accomplished businessman
meet two beauty queens
impregnate both
such swag
many superior genetics
Caribbean master race
much accomplishment
I am envious
very idolize
wow

sashafierce

Bronze

Post by sashafierce » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:49 pm

Futuregohan14 wrote:He is also the father of Lisa Hanna's son. Lisa Hanna was Miss World in 1993.
Yeah, I know but I left that part out because I did not want to make him sound like an educated baby daddy.

That's how it goes in the Caribbean.

Wealth/Good Looks= Numerous kids with numerous women

But he is very accomplished/well connected + apparently he is into mentoring so I am considering sending him an email-->maybe he would respond :D

On another note, I did not have time (or a television) to follow The Voice but Tessanne Chin is killing it check out a few of her performances-->

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lfDYx_uzJE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzS4cc8DIHs (she made me cry for this one, Redemption is one of my favorite Bob Marley songs)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiTM5TyKtIE (cried for this one as well :oops: )

Caribbean girls run it ask RiRi Nikki Minaj in Give it all to me Movado ft Nikki Minaj

Futuregohan14

Bronze

Post by Futuregohan14 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:22 pm

sashafierce wrote:
Futuregohan14 wrote:He is also the father of Lisa Hanna's son. Lisa Hanna was Miss World in 1993.
Yeah, I know but I left that part out because I did not want to make him sound like an educated baby daddy.
He is though. Nothing wrong with that!
That's how it goes in the Caribbean.

Wealth/Good Looks= Numerous kids with numerous women
As a proud Caribbean male, I only hope I can live up to his shining example.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”