URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
teampeeta

Bronze

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Post by teampeeta » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:37 pm

amb89 wrote:exactly what im saying. She has to be comparing herself with Caucasians or other urms
I am a dude, fwiw. I don't think I'm comparing myself to Caucasians. The URM in question last year didn't list their ethnicity, but here are their results: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/whisperinthewind. This guy also didn't get into HLS and he is AA. His LSAT is a bit lower but his GPA is significantly higher than mine: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/jediwannabe

My original question actually wasn't about retaking- although I've asked that in other threads and appreciate people's feedback to the extent that it isn't "What, you're crazy, you must not have looked at LSN because you're a lock at school XYZ." It was about URMs who had received JS1s at Harvard. I had heard that we tend to hear back later in the cycle, but was interested in whether any URMs had gotten interview invites/ were feeling the love from JS earlier than normal. I also wondered what their numbers were if they didn't mind sharing.

MoMettaMonk

Silver

Post by MoMettaMonk » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:48 pm

teampeeta wrote:
amb89 wrote:exactly what im saying. She has to be comparing herself with Caucasians or other urms
I am a dude, fwiw. I don't think I'm comparing myself to Caucasians. The URM in question last year didn't list their ethnicity, but here are their results: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/whisperinthewind. This guy also didn't get into HLS and he is AA. His LSAT is a bit lower but his GPA is significantly higher than mine: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/jediwannabe

My original question actually wasn't about retaking- although I've asked that in other threads and appreciate people's feedback to the extent that it isn't "What, you're crazy, you must not have looked at LSN because you're a lock at school XYZ." It was about URMs who had received JS1s at Harvard. I had heard that we tend to hear back later in the cycle, but was interested in whether any URMs had gotten interview invites/ were feeling the love from JS earlier than normal. I also wondered what their numbers were if they didn't mind sharing.
I haven't seen any URMs in this thread or the Harvard 2013 thread report getting JS1s, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it hasn't happened yet. Also I know how you feel about retaking a 170+. I'm not going to, but when I looked at my score report and saw what I missed I was pretty pissed that I didn't get 176+.

AAJD2B

Silver

Post by AAJD2B » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:14 pm

When are folks planning to send out their apps to HYS?? Is holding out for my Dec score adviseable ??? I am torn.

MoMettaMonk

Silver

Post by MoMettaMonk » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:17 pm

AAJD2B wrote:When are folks planning to send out their apps to HYS?? Is holding out for my Dec score adviseable ??? I am torn.
Yale you can hold until the absolute last day and it won't make a difference. As for HS, I'm not positive, but if you submit as soon as you get your Dec score I think you should be a-ok.

AAJD2B

Silver

Post by AAJD2B » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:20 pm

MoMettaMonk wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:When are folks planning to send out their apps to HYS?? Is holding out for my Dec score adviseable ??? I am torn.
Yale you can hold until the absolute last day and it won't make a difference. As for HS, I'm not positive, but if you submit as soon as you get your Dec score I think you should be a-ok.
Ugh. I hope so. These early JS1 reports are making me reconsider. Half the class might be filled by January. :?

teampeeta

Bronze

Post by teampeeta » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:23 pm

I've heard that schools will almost always hold your application if you have a pending LSAT score. If you applied now, your materials might just sit there until January anyway. I'm not sure if there's any value-added in applying earlier in that case.

AAJD2B

Silver

Post by AAJD2B » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:27 pm

teampeeta wrote:
I've heard that schools will almost always hold your application if you have a pending LSAT score. If you applied now, your materials might just sit there until January anyway. I'm not sure if there's any value-added in applying earlier in that case.
First in line, perhaps? I thought even if my December score awaits, my app would still be reviewed. I don't know.

El Principe

Silver

Post by El Principe » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:30 pm

Not even applying to Yale. If I can't afford it, it's not worth applying to me. Sure, the job prospects are nice, but that degree don't save you from getting layed off. I'd rather go to a lower T14 for free/close to free tbh.

MoMettaMonk

Silver

Post by MoMettaMonk » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:32 pm

El Principe wrote:Not even applying to Yale. If I can't afford it, it's not worth applying to me. Sure, the job prospects are nice, but that degree don't save you from getting layed off. I'd rather go to a lower T14 for free/close to free tbh.
This is the most anti-loan thing I've ever seen on this site ever in the history of ever.

MoMettaMonk

Silver

Post by MoMettaMonk » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:34 pm

teampeeta wrote:
I am a dude, fwiw.
You are the first dude I've ever seen on Team Peeta, sexual orientation be damned.

El Principe

Silver

Post by El Principe » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:37 pm

MoMettaMonk wrote:
El Principe wrote:Not even applying to Yale. If I can't afford it, it's not worth applying to me. Sure, the job prospects are nice, but that degree don't save you from getting layed off. I'd rather go to a lower T14 for free/close to free tbh.
This is the most anti-loan thing I've ever seen on this site ever in the history of ever.
If I could get the same job you want with less debt, why not?

teampeeta

Bronze

Post by teampeeta » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:38 pm

AAJD2B wrote:
teampeeta wrote:
First in line, perhaps? I thought even if my December score awaits, my app would still be reviewed. I don't know.
Maybe. It probably depends on your original numbers/ whether you give HYS the go-ahead to process your materials while you wait for your December score to come back. I know Yale traditionally doesn't wait and evaluates applications when they are complete. Applying early is less valuable there anyway because Y doesn't do rolling admissions like other schools do.

BTW, have you seen a bunch of URMs with JS1s this year or just a bunch of JS1s among the general population?

MoMettaMonk

Silver

Post by MoMettaMonk » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:39 pm

El Principe wrote:
MoMettaMonk wrote:
If you're only shooting for BigLaw then that's definitely the way to go, but not even applying is the really mind-blowing part.

toshiroh

Bronze

Post by toshiroh » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:42 pm

MoMettaMonk wrote:
El Principe wrote:
MoMettaMonk wrote:
If you're only shooting for BigLaw then that's definitely the way to go, but not even applying is the really mind-blowing part.
Even if I get 170+ in december, I'm not applying to HYS either. MY GPA will probably bar me from being able to go for free, even if I got accepted.

EvMont

Bronze

Post by EvMont » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:43 pm

teampeeta wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:
teampeeta wrote:
Maybe. It probably depends on your original numbers/ whether you give HYS the go-ahead to process your materials while you wait for your December score to come back. I know Yale traditionally doesn't wait and evaluates applications when they are complete. Applying early is less valuable there anyway because Y doesn't do rolling admissions like other schools do.

BTW, have you seen a bunch of URMs with JS1s this year or just a bunch of JS1s among the general population?
It's also worth noting that TLS is not the general population, not even if you consider the kinds of people who get into HYS. TLS is just a small sample. So, don't freak out about it. Also, JS1 doesn't necessarily lead to a JS2. At the very least wait to submit until your sure you're submitting because your sure and ready, not because it seems like everyone else is ahead of you.

ETA: Congrats on submitting your Penn app. I think that was definitely a good move. I feel like with their YP shenanigans, you're probably more likely to get in with a lower LSAT than the new super high one you'll be getting in December :D
Last edited by EvMont on Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AAJD2B

Silver

Post by AAJD2B » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:44 pm

teampeeta wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:
teampeeta wrote:

The latter. JS1 comes in waves. For the last cycle, most URM JS2s came in during early Spring (Feb - April).

MoMettaMonk

Silver

Post by MoMettaMonk » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:50 pm

I don't mind schools emailing me. But if John Marshall doesn't stop putting "Chicago Admissions" or "the Law School in Chicago" in their topic headings while my U of Chi app is out I might have a heart attack.

El Principe

Silver

Post by El Principe » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:54 pm

Anyone hear anything about fee waivers from UVA, Cornell, & Northwestern.

I got most others except for them.

okaygo

Silver

Post by okaygo » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:55 pm

I got UVA, but not Cornell or Northwestern. I saw in the other thread that many have had success with soliciting from Cornell.

El Principe

Silver

Post by El Principe » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:57 pm

@okaygo

UVA sent you the waiver or did you solicit it?

MoMettaMonk

Silver

Post by MoMettaMonk » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:57 pm

If you go on Northwestern's website they have (or had) a place where you can request a waiver code. http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissi ... index.html

okaygo

Silver

Post by okaygo » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:58 pm

Sent me the waiver. I received it the day after October release.

El Principe

Silver

Post by El Principe » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:10 pm

@Monk Thanks for that link!

@okaygo I see, I'll just solicit one from Cornell and wait til retake for UVA. I've never seen a URM with my LSAT get in, so I'll just focus on my retake.

toshiroh

Bronze

Post by toshiroh » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:12 pm

Who else is studying for Dec. I decided to take this whole week off from taking PTs and just focus on drilling, methods etc. I feel really, really, burnt out, and it's no use wasting perfectly good PTs on a burnt out score.

El Principe

Silver

Post by El Principe » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:22 pm

toshiroh wrote:Who else is studying for Dec. I decided to take this whole week off from taking PTs and just focus on drilling, methods etc. I feel really, really, burnt out, and it's no use wasting perfectly good PTs on a burnt out score.
I actually need to start PT'ing more. Besides the Logic Games section, timing was the major issue, so I think practice is the only thing that can help that.

I'm contemplating whether I should try to focus my efforts on all of the other sections that I'm much better at but I just choked on because of time. Even though I missed -12 on that section, if I get -1 or -0 on the other sections, I'll still have a higher score than I would through a realistic marginal improvement on the logic games.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”