Does AmeriCorps help?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
iPhoneFlexer123

Does AmeriCorps help?

Postby iPhoneFlexer123 » Fri May 31, 2013 11:52 am

I am AA Female. low gpa ( 3.16) been out of school for nearly 3 years. I did AmeriCorps for a year & worked on the Hill for 2yrs

I haven't taken the LSAT yet but plan on in Oct.. I a took PR Class back in Undergrad ( waste of time) and recently began using PS-Bibles..(love). What LSAT would I need to reach mid T-14...is it even an option...also...does my resume ( fact that I did volunteer work for a yr) give me any brownie points with my app for a T-14.

I hear some schools like (Duke, Berkeley, Northwestern--not sure if this true) individuals who have been out for a while and have work experience. I know LSAT is the most important thing but didn't know if the time off is helping me or hurting me. I purposely took time off to think if Law School was what I wanted..

Any thoughts on the subject is welcomed.

whereskyle

Re: Does AmeriCorps help?

Postby whereskyle » Fri May 31, 2013 12:06 pm

iPhoneFlexer123 wrote:I am AA Female. low gpa ( 3.16) been out of school for nearly 3 years. I did AmeriCorps for a year & worked on the Hill for 2yrs

I haven't taken the LSAT yet but plan on in Oct.. I a took PR Class back in Undergrad ( waste of time) and recently began using PS-Bibles..(love). What LSAT would I need to reach mid T-14...is it even an option...also...does my resume ( fact that I did volunteer work for a yr) give me any brownie points with my app for a T-14.

I hear some schools like (Duke, Berkeley, Northwestern--not sure if this true) individuals who have been out for a while and have work experience. I know LSAT is the most important thing but didn't know if the time off is helping me or hurting me. I purposely took time off to think if Law School was what I wanted..

I'm not an authority around here, but I think that you should be committed to securing 165+ for t14, and 167+ for T6. I'm unsure if your GPA will necessitate you scoring higher, but it may.

As for Work experience, that's all fine and dandy, but you need to hit those LSAT benchmarks. You're time off will not affect you negatively.

What did you do for americorps? I've been paralegalling for two years, and now I'm off to do habitat with americorps for a year, so i can get my hands dirty, while I reapply.

iPhoneFlexer123

Postby iPhoneFlexer123 » Fri May 31, 2013 12:17 pm

Thanks for the reply! I am studying like crazy..I am not stupid I know I need a high LSAT lol I was think 167+ to see T-14..you think 165 will cut it? Regardless, I am really trying to get 170..so that is the goal.

I did Habitat too! LOVED it..met so many amazing people..you will love the Build-A-Thon!

bosmer88

Postby bosmer88 » Fri May 31, 2013 12:39 pm

whereskyle wrote:
iPhoneFlexer123 wrote:I am AA Female. low gpa ( 3.16) been out of school for nearly 3 years. I did AmeriCorps for a year & worked on the Hill for 2yrs

I'm not an authority around here, but I think that you should be committed to securing 165+ for t14, and 167+ for T6. I'm unsure if your GPA will necessitate you scoring higher, but it may.

As for Work experience, that's all fine and dandy, but you need to hit those LSAT benchmarks. You're time off will not affect you negatively.

What did you do for americorps? I've been paralegalling for two years, and now I'm off to do habitat with americorps for a year, so i can get my hands dirty, while I reapply.

Concur about Americorps. I did it through TFA. I think schools will look favorably on it, but that's about it.

I agree with this generally, but would add that since your GPA is low, you do need to be aiming for a higher score. In the Final Results thread, there are two posters who could possibly be your numbers twins. One had a 3.1 (162/167) and broke into the lower T14, another had a 3.3 (167) and made it to T6 and above. A difference of a couple points on the LSAT will really affect where you will land.

You can also check out http://www.mylsn.info/app_checker.php. Play around with the numbers to get a sense of where you should be aiming.

iPhoneFlexer123

Postby iPhoneFlexer123 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:42 pm

@bosmer88...Thanks. Is that with the URM boost?

bosmer88

Postby bosmer88 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:46 pm

Yup, with the boost.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”