AA Male Sub 3.0 (2.86) - LSAT June 10th - HELP!

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
SDtoDavisTo...
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu May 30, 2013 3:22 pm

AA Male Sub 3.0 (2.86) - LSAT June 10th - HELP!

Postby SDtoDavisTo... » Fri May 31, 2013 12:37 am

Part 1:

First timer, plan on entering law school September 2014. Expecting above 160 on LSAT, really been studying my noggin' off.

Here is a brief synopsis..

UC Davis UG/ 2.86/ AA Male URM/ Strong Softs/ 2 years WE (government)/ Community Service ALOT/ D1 athlete (career ending injury)/ UGPA low due to MAJOR family crisis' throughout undergrad - father was extremely sick for two years and had to do a ton of commuting from San Diego to Davis.

Chances of T14 admission? (assuming T6 is OUT) T20? Any insight would be helpful really.

Any potential for money?

Part 2:


Unique situation: Needed one more spanish class to graduate, completed that this fall semester at a JC. So technically, still haven't graduated. HYPOTHETICALLY, If I take 9 more (3 unit) JC classes assuming A's in each, I could defer graduation and pull my UGPA up above 3.0.

Thoughts?

User avatar
Typhoon24
Posts: 649
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:09 pm

Re: AA Male Sub 3.0 (2.86) - LSAT June 10th - HELP!

Postby Typhoon24 » Fri May 31, 2013 11:59 am

beast the lsat and do whatever you can to get that GPA above 3.0.

however, if you do go with a 2.86, i think you might be able to nab some of the top 10-14 if you have a 167+ LSAT. Your work experience would help.

PRgradBYU
Posts: 1419
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: AA Male Sub 3.0 (2.86) - LSAT June 10th - HELP!

Postby PRgradBYU » Fri May 31, 2013 1:44 pm

SDtoDavisTo... wrote:Part 1:

First timer, plan on entering law school September 2014. Expecting above 160 on LSAT, really been studying my noggin' off.

Here is a brief synopsis..

UC Davis UG/ 2.86/ AA Male URM/ Strong Softs/ 2 years WE (government)/ Community Service ALOT/ D1 athlete (career ending injury)/ UGPA low due to MAJOR family crisis' throughout undergrad - father was extremely sick for two years and had to do a ton of commuting from San Diego to Davis.

Chances of T14 admission? (assuming T6 is OUT) T20? Any insight would be helpful really.

Any potential for money?

Part 2:


Unique situation: Needed one more spanish class to graduate, completed that this fall semester at a JC. So technically, still haven't graduated. HYPOTHETICALLY, If I take 9 more (3 unit) JC classes assuming A's in each, I could defer graduation and pull my UGPA up above 3.0.

Thoughts?


Any particular reason you posted about this same topic in two different places?

User avatar
KD35
Posts: 948
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:30 am

Re: AA Male Sub 3.0 (2.86) - LSAT June 10th - HELP!

Postby KD35 » Fri May 31, 2013 1:51 pm

SDtoDavisTo... wrote:Part 1:
Strong Softs


What are "Strong Softs"? And at this point, just focus on doing well.
With an addendum about the family crisis, you could possibly be looking at some money if you have a great LSAT.

User avatar
twenty
Posts: 3153
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Re: AA Male Sub 3.0 (2.86) - LSAT June 10th - HELP!

Postby twenty » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:34 pm

I'd defer graduation if it means bouncing the GPA up to 3.0, even without considering law school. With an LSAT between 165 and 167, you might be able to pull off Cornell.

SDtoDavisTo...
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu May 30, 2013 3:22 pm

Re: AA Male Sub 3.0 (2.86) - LSAT June 10th - HELP!

Postby SDtoDavisTo... » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:55 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:
SDtoDavisTo... wrote:Part 1:

First timer, plan on entering law school September 2014. Expecting above 160 on LSAT, really been studying my noggin' off.

Here is a brief synopsis..

UC Davis UG/ 2.86/ AA Male URM/ Strong Softs/ 2 years WE (government)/ Community Service ALOT/ D1 athlete (career ending injury)/ UGPA low due to MAJOR family crisis' throughout undergrad - father was extremely sick for two years and had to do a ton of commuting from San Diego to Davis.

Chances of T14 admission? (assuming T6 is OUT) T20? Any insight would be helpful really.

Any potential for money?

Part 2:


Unique situation: Needed one more spanish class to graduate, completed that this fall semester at a JC. So technically, still haven't graduated. HYPOTHETICALLY, If I take 9 more (3 unit) JC classes assuming A's in each, I could defer graduation and pull my UGPA up above 3.0.

Thoughts?


Any particular reason you posted about this same topic in two different places?


First time using a forum, wasn't sure how many people would see the post, so I figured two relevant spots would work.

SDtoDavisTo...
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu May 30, 2013 3:22 pm

Re: AA Male Sub 3.0 (2.86) - LSAT June 10th - HELP!

Postby SDtoDavisTo... » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:55 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:I'd defer graduation if it means bouncing the GPA up to 3.0, even without considering law school. With an LSAT between 165 and 167, you might be able to pull off Cornell.


Sounds like a plan, I'm going to defer, try to reach that 3.0 and take lsat in october.




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media and 4 guests