Advice Needed: Preparation, Testing, & More!

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
T4Hopeful

Advice Needed: Preparation, Testing, & More!

Postby T4Hopeful » Sun May 19, 2013 5:21 am

Hello! The subject line of this post pretty much entails what I'm asking about.

Just a run down about myself: I'm a rising-junior in UGrad, c/o 2015, at a well-respected university.
Currently, I am double-majoring in Economics, Political Science; ~23 credits in Classics/Latin (specialization).
GPA-wise, I have a 4.0 in both majors and expecting no less than a 3.66 LSAC GPA by the end of my junior year, SPR'14.
Co-curricularly, I'm involved on campus; held a job my frosh year, and accepted prestigious internship offers by the end of my sophomore year.

My goal is to be a JD/MBA, but JD-admit is my first priority.

...I think you probably get an idea of the kind of student I am.

Like my name, I'm hopeful for the T4's; working to blanket the T14.
My inquiries involve preparation and testing times. I've purchased "10 Actual, Official LSAT PrepTests" and "10 More Actual, Official LSAT PrepTests" those of which I'm working through this summer. My dream score is ~172. I hope to take my first LSAT SPR'14; however, if I am scoring well this summer (168+) I ~might~ go for October/December 2013. Mostly, I'm looking for advice on how to prepare, the best testing time for someone at my stage in the game, and any more info you'd like to share.

Thanks, so much!
URM Status: African-American

dawyzest1

Re: Advice Needed: Preparation, Testing, & More!

Postby dawyzest1 » Sun May 19, 2013 8:38 am

T4Hopeful wrote:Hello! The subject line of this post pretty much entails what I'm asking about.

Just a run down about myself: I'm a rising-junior in UGrad, c/o 2015, at a well-respected university.
Currently, I am double-majoring in Economics, Political Science; ~23 credits in Classics/Latin (specialization).
GPA-wise, I have a 4.0 in both majors and expecting no less than a 3.66 LSAC GPA by the end of my junior year, SPR'14.
Co-curricularly, I'm involved on campus; held a job my frosh year, and accepted prestigious internship offers by the end of my sophomore year.

My inquiries involve preparation and testing times. I've purchased "10 Actual, Official LSAT PrepTests" and "10 More Actual, Official LSAT PrepTests" those of which I'm working through this summer. My dream score is ~172. I hope to take my first LSAT SPR'14; however, if I am scoring well this summer (168+) I ~might~ go for October/December 2013. Mostly, I'm looking for advice on how to prepare, the best testing time for someone at my stage in the game, and any more info you'd like to share.

Thanks, so much!

Greetings and welcome! Here's my take:

1. Your major GPAs won't matter to schools, only your cumulative LSAC GPA, and you'll want it as high as you can. Since you are above 3.5 already, you are in good shape. I think 3.5 is already high enough for Columbia/Chicago, but right at the borderline for H and not high enough for Yale or Stanford. To have a hope there you're going to need to be at least 3.7.

2. There is a great forum on the site about LSAT prep, you should look through there thoroughly to learn about study schedules, tips, and lead times. The best time to take it is when you are ready to get the highest score you can. That means once your practice test scores are in a high enough range, generally. There's no reason not to take it as a junior if you're ready at that point.

I think John Rizzy Rawls, a poster around here, took the LSAT as a junior.

Good luck!

T4Hopeful

Postby T4Hopeful » Sun May 19, 2013 6:32 pm

dawyzest1 wrote:
T4Hopeful wrote:Hello! The subject line of this post pretty much entails what I'm asking about.

Thanks, so much!

Greetings and welcome! Here's my take:

1. Your major GPAs won't matter to schools, only your cumulative LSAC GPA, and you'll want it as high as you can. Since you are above 3.5 already, you are in good shape. I think 3.5 is already high enough for Columbia/Chicago, but right at the borderline for H and not high enough for Yale or Stanford. To have a hope there you're going to need to be at least 3.7.

2. There is a great forum on the site about LSAT prep, you should look through there thoroughly to learn about study schedules, tips, and lead times. The best time to take it is when you are ready to get the highest score you can. That means once your practice test scores are in a high enough range, generally. There's no reason not to take it as a junior if you're ready at that point.

I think John Rizzy Rawls, a poster around here, took the LSAT as a junior.

Good luck!

Thanks, dawyzest1!!
I'm really reaching for that 3.7, prayerfully, if I make 4.0s both semesters my junior year I'll be there.

If anyone else wants to jump in, this thread isn't closed! :lol:

twenty

Postby twenty » Mon May 20, 2013 12:42 pm

Gun hard to make 3.7, and at that point you're more or less an HYS lock with a 168+

AlexVee

Postby AlexVee » Tue May 28, 2013 6:16 pm

Long time lurker and first time poster checking in on this one.

I'm an AA male Poli Sci major graduating in 2015 as well.

I've just pulled my GPA up to a 3.73 following the spring semester, so we're similar in that regard as well.

rmorris87

Postby rmorris87 » Tue May 28, 2013 6:18 pm

T4Hopeful wrote:...I think you probably get an idea of the kind of student I am.

Uhhhhhh. No. Not really.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”