AA Female Cumulative GPA concern

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
lawschoolj1218

Re: AA Female Cumulative GPA concern

Postby lawschoolj1218 » Mon May 20, 2013 11:12 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:
lawschoolj1218 wrote:Thanks for the advice! In your opinion, what kind of law do you need Harvard for?

Academia, better chance at prestigious clerkships. Other than that CCN will give you similar chances. Also, what do you expect to earn in these positions?

This may sound ignorant, but, I feel as though a law degree from Harvard can open many doors. I have an idea of what kind of law I want to study, but that can change during law school....and later down the road, post LS. That's precisely why I feel that if one has an opportunity to attend Harvard(or YS), they should take it (if financially possible).

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Tue May 21, 2013 1:04 am

lawschoolj1218 wrote:
Clearlynotstefan wrote:
lawschoolj1218 wrote:Thanks for the advice! In your opinion, what kind of law do you need Harvard for?

Academia, better chance at prestigious clerkships. Other than that CCN will give you similar chances. Also, what do you expect to earn in these positions?

This may sound ignorant, but, I feel as though a law degree from Harvard can open many doors. I have an idea of what kind of law I want to study, but that can change during law school....and later down the road, post LS. That's precisely why I feel that if one has an opportunity to attend Harvard(or YS), they should take it (if financially possible).

You go to law school to practice law, and Chi/Columbia give you comparable employment outcomes in every area with exception to clerkships and academia, and even then not much of a difference. Is Harvard law prestigious? Sure, but so are Chi/Columbia, and that prestige difference doesn't materialize into many different outcomes...
Again, regarding the interests you explained, there is little difference. Also, what do you expect salary wise out of these positions?

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Tue May 21, 2013 1:29 am

I think OP was referring to lay prestige.

Not prestige in the legal community.

HTH.

lawschoolj1218

Postby lawschoolj1218 » Tue May 21, 2013 7:15 am

Clearlynotstefan wrote:
lawschoolj1218 wrote:
Clearlynotstefan wrote:

You go to law school to practice law, and Chi/Columbia give you comparable employment outcomes in every area with exception to clerkships and academia, and even then not much of a difference. Is Harvard law prestigious? Sure, but so are Chi/Columbia, and that prestige difference doesn't materialize into many different outcomes...
Again, regarding the interests you explained, there is little difference. Also, what do you expect salary wise out of these positions?

Not much, one is public service, and the other one doesn't seem produce much of a hefty salary either (if my research is correct). These are obviously my areas of interest pre-law school. Again, they could change during law school. If I decide I need more money, I may change my aim to something like corporate law. Also, if I want to become a judge, run for political office etc. I still think Harvard would help more than CCN

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”