(PLSI) Pre-Law Summer Institute, Albuquerque

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Firewater

(PLSI) Pre-Law Summer Institute, Albuquerque

Postby Firewater » Thu May 16, 2013 1:48 am

Anybody on here been through PLSI? How was your experience? How competitive is it to be accepted into the program? Do you feel like it gave you any advantage over your entering class? Was it worth it? Thanks in advance.

Trips_93

Re: (PLSI) Pre-Law Summer Institute, Albuquerque

Postby Trips_93 » Wed May 22, 2013 9:39 am

I know a few people who have went to PLSI. They all said it was very very intense, basically a full mock run of the first semester. You have readings every night, briefs due, and appellate arguments at the end. Its good for networking as well.

Its not hard to get into PLSI though, just get all your stuff in on time and you'll be good.

Firewater

Postby Firewater » Sat May 25, 2013 5:43 pm

Thanks Trips_93, I feel like it will definitely be worth it for the intense prep, and probably an experience that will produce lifelong memories and connections.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sun May 26, 2013 6:02 pm

The general consensus is that pre law boot camps like this are not worth your time/energy/money and will not give you an advantage.

There is bascially nothing you can do to prepare for your first semester of 1L besides reading GTM and LEEWS, which you wont even completely comprehend till half way through your first semester.

I would suggest saving your money and relaxing over the summer.

elcee1987

Postby elcee1987 » Tue May 28, 2013 6:50 pm

no no no, ignore that advice. PLSI for Natives is incredibly helpful. I think the advice is suitable for regular prep programs, but going to PLSI can be invaluable. If you have the chance to go, definitely go! I won't be graduating until the end of July, or I would be there for sure.

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue May 28, 2013 8:16 pm

elcee1987 wrote:no no no, ignore that advice. PLSI for Natives is incredibly helpful. I think the advice is suitable for regular prep programs, but going to PLSI can be invaluable.

Why?

And why specifically Natives?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue May 28, 2013 8:21 pm

Nova wrote:
elcee1987 wrote:no no no, ignore that advice. PLSI for Natives is incredibly helpful. I think the advice is suitable for regular prep programs, but going to PLSI can be invaluable.

Why?

And why specifically Natives?

PLSI is a program designed for/open only to Native students. I'd presume it's helpful for making connections in what's a fairly small legal community (Indian law/lawyers).

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”