Black Canadian?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
User avatar
Bosh
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:15 pm

Re: Black Canadian?

Postby Bosh » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:41 pm

In general, i know three people who are in HLS that are black international students that got URM boost with 160+ LSAT scores and a good GPA. I think if you are an URM international student that received your undergraduate degree in the US, you are also considered in the URM range. But like many advised, just don't be complacent, shoot for a 180 LSAT score. You don't know what would happen in the future especially with the court trying to decide the Fisher v. Texas case.

Xixak
Posts: 103
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:09 am

Re: Black Canadian?

Postby Xixak » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:42 pm

Bosh wrote:In general, i know three people who are in HLS that are black international students that got URM boost with 160+ LSAT scores and a good GPA. I think if you are an URM international student that received your undergraduate degree in the US, you are also considered in the URM range. But like many advised, just don't be complacent, shoot for a 180 LSAT score. You don't know what would happen in the future especially with the court trying to decide the Fisher v. Texas case.


I didn't get my degree in the USA.

Kool-Aid
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:13 am

Re: Black Canadian?

Postby Kool-Aid » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:46 pm

A friend of mine is in at Harvard. She's a Canadian and black, and I know for a fact she claimed URM status.

Xixak
Posts: 103
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:09 am

Re: Black Canadian?

Postby Xixak » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:49 pm

Kool-Aid wrote:A friend of mine is in at Harvard. She's a Canadian and black, and I know for a fact she claimed URM status.


What were her stats?

serdog
Posts: 302
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:21 pm

Re: Black Canadian?

Postby serdog » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:35 am

soj wrote:Call me cynical, but there's nothing law schools care less about than redressing past racial wrongs. They care about statistical or visible diversity. Black Canadians do get the URM bump. I don't know about Canadian First Nations because they so rarely apply to US law schools, but I would guess they get the bump, too.

I can 100% confirm that First Nation do get a bump I applied to Columbia with a 3.4/159 and was reserved, I don't have US citizen or a tribe cards or anything, however I think it may depend on the school because I got flat out rejected by lower ranked schools(BC comes to mind)
ETA: I should note that I played up the fact that I come from a People who were split when the boarder went in. I thi

Xixak
Posts: 103
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:09 am

Re: Black Canadian?

Postby Xixak » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:59 am

serdog wrote:
soj wrote:Call me cynical, but there's nothing law schools care less about than redressing past racial wrongs. They care about statistical or visible diversity. Black Canadians do get the URM bump. I don't know about Canadian First Nations because they so rarely apply to US law schools, but I would guess they get the bump, too.

I can 100% confirm that First Nation do get a bump I applied to Columbia with a 3.4/159 and was reserved, I don't have US citizen or a tribe cards or anything, however I think it may depend on the school because I got flat out rejected by lower ranked schools(BC comes to mind)
ETA: I should note that I played up the fact that I come from a People who were split when the boarder went in. I thi


Are you Canadian or American?

EDIT: Nvm, just checked your profile, you're Canadian. That doesn't prove much though since you were eventually rejected.

I wish there were more examples of Canadian URM cycles.

User avatar
fips tedora
Posts: 3732
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 8:28 pm

Re: Black Canadian?

Postby fips tedora » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:45 pm

Xixak wrote:
serdog wrote:
soj wrote:Call me cynical, but there's nothing law schools care less about than redressing past racial wrongs. They care about statistical or visible diversity. Black Canadians do get the URM bump. I don't know about Canadian First Nations because they so rarely apply to US law schools, but I would guess they get the bump, too.

I can 100% confirm that First Nation do get a bump I applied to Columbia with a 3.4/159 and was reserved, I don't have US citizen or a tribe cards or anything, however I think it may depend on the school because I got flat out rejected by lower ranked schools(BC comes to mind)
ETA: I should note that I played up the fact that I come from a People who were split when the boarder went in. I thi


Are you Canadian or American?

EDIT: Nvm, just checked your profile, you're Canadian. That doesn't prove much though since you were eventually rejected.

I wish there were more examples of Canadian URM cycles.

Correct me if I am wrong, yet isn't your username the Albanian word for the equivalent of the "n-word"? I used to date an Albanian girl and heard that phrase before.

BigZuck
Posts: 10853
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Black Canadian?

Postby BigZuck » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:10 pm

Topic+ending a couple posts in a row with "eh"+fighting back when the question was answered a billion times to try and keep the thread going= flame.

The troll. Stop feeding it guys.

User avatar
PDaddy
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:40 am

Re: Black Canadian?

Postby PDaddy » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:03 pm

indo wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:
jas1503 wrote:Ignore some of these comments.

Truthfully, you don't even have to be black to claim black-URM status.

Being from Canada doesn't make any difference at all.


But affirmative action was created to right the wrongs of the past to create a more even playing field for those who were wronged in this country. That is why African/Native AMERICANS get the boost and international students don't.

Many minorities start off at a disadvantage because the state of their ancestors was not ideal.

This does not apply to international students.


So how long this and future generation has to pay for the sins of their forefather ?
How about Chinese were mistreated / wrong in USA too when they built the railroads ?
How come the chineses do not the boost ?


These are all logical questions - ones we will need to continually address - but there are great answers for them.

The Chinese do not deserve the same benefits because they, like the Koreans and the Japanese, have been compensated for the wrongs done against them, which pale in comparison to those suffered by Black American slaves and their descendants.

The Chinese never had specific laws directed at maintaining their socioeconomic and political disenfranchisement. Moreover, immigrants who come to this country by their own will do not deserve the same consideration. The factors that differentiate black-Americans from other immigrant groups are vast and profound. Other immigrant groups need to remember that before slavery they did not own This land; Mexicans and Indians did. And black Americans are still THE ONLY immigrant group to reside in this country by force.

That might be all well and good, except for the brutal intervene rational slavery, black codes, Jim Crow Laws that essentially lasted until the late-1960's, forced segregation into inferior schools (after two centuries of being denied education altogether), and mass-lynchings that broke up black families and deleteriously affected them to this day.

Let's not forget that the U.S. government reneged on its promise to award each emancipated adult male slave "40 Acres and a Mule". Had the government kept its promise and not engaged in the other acts of defacto and dejure' discrimination, the state of black Americans today would be far different educationally, socially, economically, and politically.

Mexicans and Indians can certainly make similar arguments about the intergenerational effects of the U.S. government's inhumane acts. Why does a person from any other immigrant group make those claims? How does a recent, VOLUNTARY immigrant of color from Canada or East Africa have the right to get into line with African-Americans and receive the same benefits.

And furthermore, people need to remember that the primary beneficiaries of AA have been white women...it's not even close. Hence, in a way, Black Americans, Mexican Americans and American Indians are still not being compensated for wrongs done against them.

I have asked many Asians whether they consider themselves to be culturally and historically closer to Blacks or Whites, and every single one has said emphatically that they think of Asians as being closer to Whites. This bears out in dating patterns, etc.

If that's true, why do they want the benefits that go to Blacks? It looks to many Blacks like they are just trying to exploit us. They typically want little or nothing to do with Blacks socially.

The men and women show a preference for dating and marrying within their own group (or with whites if interracially). We aren't welcomed into Chinese clubs or leagues. We are not part of their business associations, and they make it very clear they we are not welcome.

They rarely patronize Black businesses, and the tension between the Black and Asian communities is well documented.

I can make the same claim about East Africans and their general distaste for Black Americans...until it comes time to apply for school or a job.

To be fair, black celebrities are treated well in mainland China, but Chinese Americans have shown that they seek to disassociate themselves from other ethnic minority groups, especially Black Americans.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22808
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Black Canadian?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:38 pm

Sweet god, stop talking about AA.

Xixak
Posts: 103
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:09 am

Re: Black Canadian?

Postby Xixak » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:22 am

MTH2 wrote:
Xixak wrote:
serdog wrote:
soj wrote:Call me cynical, but there's nothing law schools care less about than redressing past racial wrongs. They care about statistical or visible diversity. Black Canadians do get the URM bump. I don't know about Canadian First Nations because they so rarely apply to US law schools, but I would guess they get the bump, too.

I can 100% confirm that First Nation do get a bump I applied to Columbia with a 3.4/159 and was reserved, I don't have US citizen or a tribe cards or anything, however I think it may depend on the school because I got flat out rejected by lower ranked schools(BC comes to mind)
ETA: I should note that I played up the fact that I come from a People who were split when the boarder went in. I thi


Are you Canadian or American?

EDIT: Nvm, just checked your profile, you're Canadian. That doesn't prove much though since you were eventually rejected.

I wish there were more examples of Canadian URM cycles.

Correct me if I am wrong, yet isn't your username the Albanian word for the equivalent of the "n-word"? I used to date an Albanian girl and heard that phrase before.


No it isn't, I don't speak Albanian. It's a random name that I made up because I thought it sounded cool in my head...

And I'm getting kind of sick of being accused of being a troll/flamer. I'm legitimately trying to answer this question now, instead of waiting until the application process begins. I want to know whether I get the boost because it WILL affect what schools I apply to.

If anything, the trolls are the people who come in here and provide either no answers or false ones.

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15401
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: Black Canadian?

Postby sublime » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:33 am

..

Xixak
Posts: 103
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:09 am

Re: Black Canadian?

Postby Xixak » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:46 am

Well this has now gone wildly off-topic. So much for no AA debates.

BigZuck
Posts: 10853
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Black Canadian?

Postby BigZuck » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:53 am

Xixak wrote:Well this has now gone wildly off-topic. So much for no AA debates.


Guess your work here is done then, eh?

Xixak
Posts: 103
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:09 am

Re: Black Canadian?

Postby Xixak » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:02 am

BigZuck wrote:
Xixak wrote:Well this has now gone wildly off-topic. So much for no AA debates.


Guess your work here is done then, eh?


What are you talking about? I was legitimately using this thread to see if I qualified for URM status. I'm not a troll.

I say "eh" a lot because that's how I talk. Sorry if it comes across as flaming.

User avatar
danitt
Posts: 1984
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:40 pm

Re: Black Canadian?

Postby danitt » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:08 am

Xixak wrote:No it isn't, I don't speak Albanian. It's a random name that I made up because I thought it sounded cool in my head...

And I'm getting kind of sick of being accused of being a troll/flamer. I'm legitimately trying to answer this question now, instead of waiting until the application process begins. I want to know whether I get the boost because it WILL affect what schools I apply to.

If anything, the trolls are the people who come in here and provide either no answers or false ones.

But this is like the third page and people have given you the best answers they can and still that's not good enough. NO ONE can predict a URM cycle. How schools treat with international URM cycles is even more of a mystery as different schools can take varied stances. They best you can do is apply throughout and see who bites and how much the bite is.

Xixak
Posts: 103
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:09 am

Re: Black Canadian?

Postby Xixak » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:50 am

danitt wrote:
Xixak wrote:No it isn't, I don't speak Albanian. It's a random name that I made up because I thought it sounded cool in my head...

And I'm getting kind of sick of being accused of being a troll/flamer. I'm legitimately trying to answer this question now, instead of waiting until the application process begins. I want to know whether I get the boost because it WILL affect what schools I apply to.

If anything, the trolls are the people who come in here and provide either no answers or false ones.

But this is like the third page and people have given you the best answers they can and still that's not good enough. NO ONE can predict a URM cycle. How schools treat with international URM cycles is even more of a mystery as different schools can take varied stances. They best you can do is apply throughout and see who bites and how much the bite is.


I didn't say it's not good enough, I'm asking questions individually to people who are posting about their experiences now.

Not sure what's wrong with that.

User avatar
MikeSpivey
Posts: 2607
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: Black Canadian?

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:54 am

I have not read a single post in this thread, so apologies, but YES, you will be considered URM. Although I would not title your Diversity Statement: "Black Canadian?"

Xixak
Posts: 103
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:09 am

Re: Black Canadian?

Postby Xixak » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:20 am

MikeSpivey wrote:I have not read a single post in this thread, so apologies, but YES, you will be considered URM. Although I would not title your Diversity Statement: "Black Canadian?"


Lol I won't.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18406
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Black Canadian?

Postby bk1 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:24 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Sweet god, stop talking about AA.

1. This.

Kool-Aid wrote:A friend of mine is in at Harvard. She's a Canadian and black, and I know for a fact she claimed URM status.

2. You don't "claim URM status." You fill out an race/ethnicity questionnaire and then schools may or may not give boosts to you.

MikeSpivey wrote:I have not read a single post in this thread, so apologies, but YES, you will be considered URM. Although I would not title your Diversity Statement: "Black Canadian?"

3. I think this is the right answer though I know international students generally have tougher cycles (maybe this doesn't include Canadians?) so I wouldn't necessarily assume you're going to see the same results as past AA applicants on LSN.

Xixak
Posts: 103
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:09 am

Re: Black Canadian?

Postby Xixak » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:31 am

bk1 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Sweet god, stop talking about AA.

1. This.

Kool-Aid wrote:A friend of mine is in at Harvard. She's a Canadian and black, and I know for a fact she claimed URM status.

2. You don't "claim URM status." You fill out an race/ethnicity questionnaire and then schools may or may not give boosts to you.

MikeSpivey wrote:I have not read a single post in this thread, so apologies, but YES, you will be considered URM. Although I would not title your Diversity Statement: "Black Canadian?"

3. I think this is the right answer though I know international students generally have tougher cycles (maybe this doesn't include Canadians?) so I wouldn't necessarily assume you're going to see the same results as past AA applicants on LSN.


This is what I'm talking about. I remember because I got killed in undergrad admissions, I had a 4.0 2260 and got rejected at every top undergrad school except for a waitlist at Yale. Normally for URMs that would be in everywhere.

Maybe Law is different because it has a less holistic approach? Idk.

User avatar
bosmer88
Posts: 417
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:07 pm

Re: Black Canadian?

Postby bosmer88 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:04 pm

Xixak wrote:
bk1 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Sweet god, stop talking about AA.

1. This.

Kool-Aid wrote:A friend of mine is in at Harvard. She's a Canadian and black, and I know for a fact she claimed URM status.

2. You don't "claim URM status." You fill out an race/ethnicity questionnaire and then schools may or may not give boosts to you.

MikeSpivey wrote:I have not read a single post in this thread, so apologies, but YES, you will be considered URM. Although I would not title your Diversity Statement: "Black Canadian?"

3. I think this is the right answer though I know international students generally have tougher cycles (maybe this doesn't include Canadians?) so I wouldn't necessarily assume you're going to see the same results as past AA applicants on LSN.


This is what I'm talking about. I remember because I got killed in undergrad admissions, I had a 4.0 2260 and got rejected at every top undergrad school except for a waitlist at Yale. Normally for URMs that would be in everywhere.

Maybe Law is different because it has a less holistic approach? Idk.


I don't want to go back and forth about the issue in this thread though. I admit I have never been on an admissions committee. I am guessing the same is true for almost everyone who responded to this thread. The only thing left to do is apply and see how your cycle goes. Once you are done with your cycle, report back with your results so you can help future applicants like yourself.
Last edited by bosmer88 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15401
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: Black Canadian?

Postby sublime » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:06 pm

..

User avatar
bosmer88
Posts: 417
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:07 pm

Re: Black Canadian?

Postby bosmer88 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:31 pm

sublime wrote:You know, except for this guy:


MikeSpivey wrote:I have not read a single post in this thread, so apologies, but YES, you will be considered URM. Although I would not title your Diversity Statement: "Black Canadian?"


I will concede defeat and bow to majority opinion.

edit
Last edited by bosmer88 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Xixak
Posts: 103
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:09 am

Re: Black Canadian?

Postby Xixak » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:21 pm

bosmer88 wrote:
sublime wrote:You know, except for this guy:


MikeSpivey wrote:I have not read a single post in this thread, so apologies, but YES, you will be considered URM. Although I would not title your Diversity Statement: "Black Canadian?"


What I find confusing about this statement and many others in this thread is that Grutter vs Bollinger specifically mentions African-Americans when talking about underrepresented minority students. I don't deny the OP would offer some type of diversity (he/she is a person of color, comes from another country) which is allowable under the "current definition of AA" (the same could be said of someone who identifies as LGBTQ or is disabled) since it is extremely inclusive, but to say that he/she would count as URM as it is discussed in Grutter is what is really throwing me off in this thread.

I also get that many black people who don't identify as African-American get the boost the same as if they were African-American, but I really think that has more to do with the fact that they are citizens, residents, or undocumented in the US and rarely does anyone want to get into the controversial issue of essentializing African-Americans. Additionally, black people, regardless of origin, often face similar challenges once in the US.

edit


What are you trying to get at with this? You're saying you wouldn't expect me to receive the type of boost a US Citizen would get?




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests