Black Canadian?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Xixak

Black Canadian?

Postby Xixak » Wed May 15, 2013 4:39 pm

Would I be considered a URM?

Ded Precedent

Re: Black Canadian?

Postby Ded Precedent » Wed May 15, 2013 4:53 pm

Flame.

bosmer88

Postby bosmer88 » Wed May 15, 2013 5:06 pm

OP, assuming you are talking about American law schools, I think you would be considered international, thus you wouldn't get as big of a bump, if any at all.

Xixak

Postby Xixak » Wed May 15, 2013 5:39 pm

bosmer88 wrote:OP, assuming you are talking about American law schools, I think you would be considered international, thus you wouldn't get as big of a bump, if any at all.

Yeah I am talking about American schools. So they would just treat me like any other applicant eh?

Btw to the first poster... I'm not flaming just asking an honest question.

bosmer88

Postby bosmer88 » Wed May 15, 2013 5:46 pm

Xixak wrote:
bosmer88 wrote:OP, assuming you are talking about American law schools, I think you would be considered international, thus you wouldn't get as big of a bump, if any at all.

Yeah I am talking about American schools. So they would just treat me like any other applicant eh?

I can't say for sure you wouldn't get any boost. I do believe though that if you got any type of boost, it wouldn't be as substantial if you were a us citizen/resident/etc.

Are you or your parents recent immigrants? If so, you could use the background/experiences in a DS.
Last edited by bosmer88 on Wed May 15, 2013 5:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed May 15, 2013 5:50 pm

not African American bro

Xixak

Postby Xixak » Wed May 15, 2013 5:54 pm

bosmer88 wrote:
Xixak wrote:

I can't say for sure you wouldn't get any boost. I do believe though that if you got any type of boost, it wouldn't be as substantial if you were a us citizen/resident/etc.

Are you or your parents recent immigrants? If so, you could use the background/experiences in a DS.

No we've been here for quite some time. I guess they don't care that I'm black if I'm from another country eh?

bosmer88

Postby bosmer88 » Wed May 15, 2013 6:03 pm

Xixak wrote:
bosmer88 wrote:
Xixak wrote:

No we've been here for quite some time. I guess they don't care that I'm black if I'm from another country eh?

The URM bump as used by US law schools is supposed to benefit US citizens and residents. I'd get that if you came to the US, you'd likely be indiscernible from any other black person living in the US, but that is the way it works.
Last edited by bosmer88 on Wed May 15, 2013 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xixak

Postby Xixak » Wed May 15, 2013 6:12 pm

Guess no URM boost. So with my projected 3.65 GPA im screwed out of the T-6 unless i get a 180 LSAT.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed May 15, 2013 6:32 pm

Xixak wrote:Guess no URM boost. So with my projected 3.65 GPA im screwed out of the T-6 unless i get a 180 LSAT.

172-3

bosmer88

Postby bosmer88 » Wed May 15, 2013 6:36 pm

I actually think you have a decent GPA. My best advice is to score as high as you can on the LSAT (170+ is ideal). It is pretty hard to gauge where you fall without a LSAT score. You might want to check out lsn and look at international applicants to get a sense of their scores and where they ended up. Additionally, everything else in your application needs to be *stellar*. Make sure you have glowing LORS (possibly school specific if you can), a well-written PS and DS with no errors, and make sure you follow all the directions outlined in a school's application.

jas1503

Postby jas1503 » Wed May 15, 2013 8:38 pm

Ignore some of these comments.

Truthfully, you don't even have to be black to claim black-URM status.

Being from Canada doesn't make any difference at all.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Wed May 15, 2013 8:49 pm

jas1503 wrote:Ignore some of these comments.

But affirmative action was created to right the wrongs of the past to create a more even playing field for those who were wronged in this country. That is why African/Native AMERICANS get the boost and international students don't.

Many minorities start off at a disadvantage because the state of their ancestors was not ideal.

This does not apply to international students.

jas1503

Postby jas1503 » Wed May 15, 2013 9:06 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:

But affirmative action was created to right the wrongs of the past to create a more even playing field for those who were wronged in this country. That is why African/Native AMERICANS get the boost and international students don't.

Many minorities start off at a disadvantage because the state of their ancestors was not ideal.

I'm assuming that "being wronged" in this country means that you're talking about slavery and segregation for African Americans; and for the very, very few Native Americans left, the wrong you're talking about has to do with the wars lost that resulted in much of their land being taken.

Can you explain to me what the Mexican, Cuban, PR boost is for? Is it the Encomienda? By your logic, why isn't Spain giving out this boost instead?

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed May 15, 2013 9:11 pm

Let's not AA debate and just note that a) policy exists b) it doesn't apply to non-Americans.

I have a friend who was born in Mexico, but is now married to an American - got the URM boost. It is what it is - a proxy

Xixak

Postby Xixak » Wed May 15, 2013 9:23 pm

Really sucks to not get the URM boost. Reminds me of my undergrad admissions where I had a 4.0 2260 but got rejected from every top 20 US School I applied to :/

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Wed May 15, 2013 9:28 pm

jas1503 wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:

I'm assuming that "being wronged" in this country means that you're talking about slavery and segregation for African Americans; and for the very, very few Native Americans left, the wrong you're talking about has to do with the wars lost that resulted in much of their land being taken.

Can you explain to me what the Mexican, Cuban, PR boost is for? Is it the Encomienda? By your logic, why isn't Spain giving out this boost instead?

I'm not saying that's my logic. I'm not even saying I believe in or don't believe in AA. This is all irrelevant to OP. Not trying to incite any AA debates around here. I'm saying that that is probably THE logic that the schools are going by. I don't know if Spain is giving this boost instead. They might, they might not. But we're not talking about Spanish schools so I'm not sure what you're trying to get out of that question.

Xixak

Postby Xixak » Wed May 29, 2013 2:35 pm

:( Really wish I got this boost.

twenty

Postby twenty » Wed May 29, 2013 3:38 pm

Xixak wrote::( Really wish I got this boost.

Xixak wrote:Guess no URM boost.

Xixak wrote:Really sucks to not get the URM boost.

maybe if you wish really hard!

soj

Postby soj » Wed May 29, 2013 4:44 pm

What's everyone talking about? Black international students do get the AA bump.

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Wed May 29, 2013 4:46 pm

soj wrote:What's everyone talking about? Black international students do get the AA bump.

This thread is what's wrong with the on-topics lately. Everyone thinks they're a hilarious troll and it impedes on giving decent advice to people legitimately asking for it.

Yes OP, you are considered a URM. It's the reason the box asks if you are Black/African-American, because those two can be different things and in your case you're the former.

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Wed May 29, 2013 4:50 pm

Note of advice to people ITT: don't immediately call out flame (it's not funny or productive), and don't give advice if you don't actually know the answer. Also, debating AA in the on-topics is not okay, there's a thread for that. Thanks.

soj

Postby soj » Wed May 29, 2013 5:05 pm

bosmer88 wrote:The URM bump as used by US law schools is supposed to benefit US citizens and residents. I'd get that if you came to the US, you'd likely be indiscernible from any other black person living in the US, but that is the way it works.

ManoftheHour wrote:But affirmative action was created to right the wrongs of the past to create a more even playing field for those who were wronged in this country. That is why African/Native AMERICANS get the boost and international students don't.

Call me cynical, but there's nothing law schools care less about than redressing past racial wrongs. They care about statistical or visible diversity. Black Canadians do get the URM bump. I don't know about Canadian First Nations because they so rarely apply to US law schools, but I would guess they get the bump, too.

twenty

Postby twenty » Wed May 29, 2013 5:35 pm

Maybe I'm completely wrong on this, but it seems like URMs get "the boost" if they go to US undergrads. There are "URMs" from international undergrads on LSN that sure as hell didn't get any kind of substantial boost, or else wrote naughty words in their PS.

indo

Postby indo » Wed May 29, 2013 5:48 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:

So how long this and future generation has to pay for the sins of their forefather ?
How about Chinese were mistreated / wrong in USA too when they built the railroads ?
How come the chineses do not the boost ?

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”