AA Male with 3.75GPA + 175 LSAT. Apply or 1 year off? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Praetor_

New

AA Male with 3.75GPA + 175 LSAT. Apply or 1 year off?

Post by Praetor_ » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:22 am

Hello everyone.

Do you believe that my application is strong enough currently to get into YHS Columbia/NYU/CAL, or would you suggest that I take a year off before applying?

For the most part, I know that law schools like for applicants to take 1-2 years off before applying to law schools. They want to see applicants gain work experience in order to be more well rounded.

Currently, I'm been debating whether or not to apply for this cycle or next year's. I'm a senior set to graduate in May, and I have been offered a couple of jobs. I'd rather go straight to law school, but I only want to apply when my application is strong enough.

Thanks
Last edited by Praetor_ on Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kronk

Diamond

Re: AA Male with 3.7GPA + 175 LSAT. Apply or 1 year off?

Post by Kronk » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:26 am

Praetor_ wrote:Hello everyone.

Do you believe that my application is strong enough currently to get into YHS Columbia/NYU/CAL, or would you suggest that I take a year off before applying?

For the most part, I know that law schools like for applicants to take 1-2 years off before applying to law schools. They want to see applicants gain work experience in order to be more well rounded.

Currently, I'm been debating whether or not to apply for this cycle or next year's. I'm a senior set to graduate in May, and I have been offered a couple of jobs. I'd rather go straight to law school, but I only want to apply when my application is strong enough.

Thanks
lol. If you aren't kidding, apply this year. You'll get into every single one of them.

clouded.memory

Bronze

Post by clouded.memory » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:29 am

You're solid with that combo. Can't wait to hear about your choices next spring!

dawyzest1

Bronze

Post by dawyzest1 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:40 am

Thanks
I'll play along.

First question: why have you waited until the end of April to make this decision? Even if you took the February LSAT, you've known where you stand for six weeks.

Considering that you would be probably one of 3-5 AA males in the applicant pool with your numbers, you would definitely get into some great schools this cycle. What you'd have to do is write to each of the adcomms where you want to apply, share your numbers and that you are an AA male and I am confident nearly all of those schools will welcome your application. I don't know how much scholly money will be out there at this late date, but admission will not be a question.

If you wait and apply for next cycle, as long as you're not a serial killer, you're a stone cold lock for every school except for Yale.

Praetor_

New

Post by Praetor_ » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:47 am

I'm sorry, I meant applying in the fall of 2013.
dawyzest1 wrote:

Thanks
I'll play along.

First question: why have you waited until the end of April to make this decision? Even if you took the February LSAT, you've known where you stand for six weeks.

Considering that you would be probably one of 3-5 AA males in the applicant pool with your numbers, you would definitely get into some great schools this cycle. What you'd have to do is write to each of the adcomms where you want to apply, share your numbers and that you are an AA male and I am confident nearly all of those schools will welcome your application. I don't know how much scholly money will be out there at this late date, but admission will not be a question.

If you wait and apply for next cycle, as long as you're not a serial killer, you're a stone cold lock for every school except for Yale.

Big Dog

Silver

Re: AA Male with 3.75GPA + 175 LSAT. Apply or 1 year off?

Post by Big Dog » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:56 am

apply Sept 1 and wait for the big money to roll in. The only question will be whether you turn down several full tuition offers and move to New Haven.

One year of work experience builds character. :P

dawyzest1

Bronze

Post by dawyzest1 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:57 am

Praetor_ wrote:I'm sorry, I meant applying in the fall of 2013.
Well shoot dude, I'd recommend taking a year or two off, but not because it will help you get into law school, but rather because having a little time off from school can allow you to broaden your horizons and also give you time to be absolutely sure you want to go to law school. Law school is too hard and too expensive to do on a whim.

Regardless of that, when you apply, be it this fall or a couple of falls from now, you are golden. Just make sure you write a good personal statement and put together a professional application (no typos, etc). You are going to have great choices, you will probably be juggling a free ride at CCN against HS or HSY.

Good luck!

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:09 am

If this is legit, then you are one of the best candidates I've ever seen. Short of some serious C+F issues, or an absurdly bad application, you should be in at H down, and likely at Yale although they're so hard to predict. Make sure you write compelling "Why X School" essays across the board, you are the definition of a yield protect waiting to happen.

jetsfan1

Silver

Post by jetsfan1 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:17 am

If Yale YPed, you would be the person they would YP.

howlery

Bronze

Post by howlery » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:16 pm

I don't think the OP has taken the LSAT yet per their other thread, but surely all the advice given still stands when/if that kind of score is achieved. Grats on the GPA and good luck!

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:56 pm

howlery wrote:I don't think the OP has taken the LSAT yet per their other thread, but surely all the advice given still stands when/if that kind of score is achieved. Grats on the GPA and good luck!
-______- I had a feeling something was interesting about this.

dawyzest1

Bronze

Post by dawyzest1 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:13 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote: -______- I had a feeling something was interesting about this.
+1

Praetor_

New

Post by Praetor_ » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:26 pm

howlery wrote:I don't think the OP has taken the LSAT yet per their other thread, but surely all the advice given still stands when/if that kind of score is achieved. Grats on the GPA and good luck!
Yeah, sorry about that. I should have been more clear, but I didn't really receive the advice that I was looking for on the main Admissions forum. I do appreciate everyone's advice here, and I should have been more upfront to begin with.

I'm just graduating college right now, and I've been offered a job to work as a staff assistant at the United States Congress. It's a great opportunity, but I'm of the belief that it will only serve as a distraction to my ultimate goal of going to law school. After looking at YHS, I noticed that the vast majority of their admits have at least one year of work experience under their belt. So, I'm completely unsure of whether or not I should take the job or to simply study for the LSAT.

Originally, I had planned on taking the February LSAT to apply this fall; but, I was offered a really great fellowship opportunity to come out to Washington. I thought that it would look great on my resume for applying to law schools, so I postponed my LSAT date until October. I haven't cracked my LSAT books since I moved out here, and I was planning on taking my summer off and just studying for it. After studying for all of last summer and the fall, I PTed around 172-175. But that was a long time ago, and I'll need some time to catch up and refresh for the test.

I'm looking for your honest opinions, what do you think I should do?
If I don't take the job out here, I'll just study for the October LSAT. If I take the job, I don't know if I'll be able to devote the time for me to get back in shape for the October LSAT because the job is very time consuming. I'm stressing out over the admissions emphasis over work experience.

As an AA Male with my numbers, what would you do?

I'm sorry about the subterfuge, and I'd appreciate any advice you can give me.

Thanks

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:27 pm

Apply in the fall - you will get into at least 2 of YSH, and probably multiple full-rides to CCN

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:09 pm

dawyzest1 wrote:
Clearlynotstefan wrote: -______- I had a feeling something was interesting about this.
+1
Glad it wasn't just me that was suspicious.
Praetor_ wrote:
Yeah, sorry about that. I should have been more clear, but I didn't really receive the advice that I was looking for on the main Admissions forum. I do appreciate everyone's advice here, and I should have been more upfront to begin with.

I'm just graduating college right now, and I've been offered a job to work as a staff assistant at the United States Congress. It's a great opportunity, but I'm of the belief that it will only serve as a distraction to my ultimate goal of going to law school. After looking at YHS, I noticed that the vast majority of their admits have at least one year of work experience under their belt. So, I'm completely unsure of whether or not I should take the job or to simply study for the LSAT.

Originally, I had planned on taking the February LSAT to apply this fall; but, I was offered a really great fellowship opportunity to come out to Washington. I thought that it would look great on my resume for applying to law schools, so I postponed my LSAT date until October. I haven't cracked my LSAT books since I moved out here, and I was planning on taking my summer off and just studying for it. After studying for all of last summer and the fall, I PTed around 172-175. But that was a long time ago, and I'll need some time to catch up and refresh for the test.

I'm looking for your honest opinions, what do you think I should do?
If I don't take the job out here, I'll just study for the October LSAT. If I take the job, I don't know if I'll be able to devote the time for me to get back in shape for the October LSAT because the job is very time consuming. I'm stressing out over the admissions emphasis over work experience.

As an AA Male with my numbers, what would you do?

I'm sorry about the subterfuge, and I'd appreciate any advice you can give me.

Thanks
Definitely apply this fall, man. If you can end up getting anywhere CLOSE to where you're PTing on the LSAT, you'll be a lock at H and S--nobody's a lock at Y, otherwise you'd be a lock there, too. Good luck!

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:25 pm

IF you hit anywhere near your PT range, your set, apply whenever you want to go. If you crushed the LSAT, you'd be about as good of an applicant that has ever existed. I can't stress writing "Why..." essays though, you are going to get yield protected hard.

supernma

New

Post by supernma » Wed May 22, 2013 11:03 pm

This HAS to be flame. I refuse to believe this isn't 100% flame.

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Thu May 23, 2013 12:24 am

supernma wrote:This HAS to be flame. I refuse to believe this isn't 100% flame.
--ImageRemoved--

John_rizzy_rawls

Gold

Post by John_rizzy_rawls » Thu May 23, 2013 1:22 am

Why do you refuse to believe it? Are these numbers not possible for a URM?

Chill out or go away. This is some very blatant dog-whistling.

dawyzest1

Bronze

Post by dawyzest1 » Thu May 23, 2013 10:21 am

Well we should just stop everything now since you don't believe it at all.

bosmer88

Bronze

Post by bosmer88 » Thu May 23, 2013 2:08 pm

Please go back to the AA Debate thread.

GW1010

Bronze

Post by GW1010 » Sat May 25, 2013 12:04 pm

"Is my application strong enough with a 3.75 and a 175 as an AA male"

LOL this thread is hilarious. Only thing OP should be worrying about is whether he prefers sunny Palo Alto or freezing his ass off in New Haven or Cambridge come wintertime.

I really want to quote Django Unchained to describe the rarity of an AA male with that GPA/LSAT combo. It suffices to say that you're 1 in 10,000 haha

dw3

New

Post by dw3 » Sat May 25, 2013 1:51 pm

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:

Pretty sure you misinterpreted what he was trying to say man. He's saying that with these numbers OP is in everywhere (with the exception of maybe Yale) due to AA boost.

ManOfTheMinute

Gold

Post by ManOfTheMinute » Sat May 25, 2013 2:06 pm

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:

Seriously? He's saying he's a lock everywhere. Way to just assume everyone is racist.

OP - don't do one year off unless YOU want to. You're guaranteed at HLS/SLS, and the year off wouldn't help your chances at YLS.

dw3

New

Post by dw3 » Sat May 25, 2013 2:34 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
John_rizzy_rawls wrote:

Seriously? He's saying he's a lock everywhere. Way to just assume everyone is racist.

OP - don't do one year off unless YOU want to. You're guaranteed at HLS/SLS, and the year off wouldn't help your chances at YLS.
Here.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”